Update

It’s been quite busy at my house over the past few days.  All three PODS are now packed and ready for shipment to Oregon.

The movers came today and loaded the last POD with all (okay most) of my furniture.  There were some leftover pieces that didn’t quite make the cut.  We decided at the last minute to take along our very GIANT sofa.  I’m not exaggerating when I say giant; four adults can comfortably stretch out on this sofa and relax.   It’s big.  Since it is a very well-made sectional and was pricey when we bought it, we decided to have it reupholstered in Oregon.  It will be worth it, but it meant a few things would be left behind.

The two moving guys very politely told me, “Lady, you have a lot of stuff and some VERY BIG pieces of furniture”.  I even told them I had a huge garage sale and sold a bunch of things.  They looked stunned which made me laugh.  However, they never complained once as they carried it all down the stairs.

As a result, they were subjected to my illness of having to feed everyone large amounts of food when they enter my home.  I fed them breakfast and lunch and chased them around with cold water bottles and orange juice.  I kept saying, “Eat…eat more”, and they did.  Who knows if they wanted the food or not, but they just ate it anyway.

I always feel bad for people I am asking to do back-breaking type of work for me, even though I am paying them.  I even tipped them.  Are you supposed to tip movers?  I have no idea if I insulted them or made their day.  They worked so hard and meticulously wrapped EVERY SINGLE piece of furniture before loading it.  It killed me watching them kill themselves.  So I fed them.  It seemed like a logical way to deal with the guilt.

We have a few more days in California.  Since we are keeping our house here, we have to batten down the hatches, clean it up and pack up the cars for our final drive.

We are exhausted to say the least but looking forward to our new adventure.

I’ll keep you posted.

One Year Ago:  It’s (GREE) Not (GRISS)

1. WOW! It all sounds exhausting, and I’m impressed that you had time to make food for them, but OH! I’m sure that it was NO PROBLEM for them to eat, and when they got home, I’m sure they told their families about your spread! YUM! And a tip, I’m sure, will insure that your stuff will be handled very well and arrive in fine shape! Can’t wait to hear that you made it to your new home safely!
    XOXO
    Joni

2. I’ve missed you and figured you were busy. so what’s left behind? Ship it south. Seriously you leave a big hole, especially when I am so bored right now.
    I have a question for the Wild Boar. Being that he is a GYN. Does he think that the bone scan equipment at most OB/GYN offices is of the same caliber as the hospitals?

3. Mary 3

It’s all over but the shoutin’. this was the hard part. For whatever reason I’ve always found it easier to unpack than pack. Oh, and yes, I do tip those movers who are not part of the management. Get as much rest as you can. Are the boys going to camp?

4. Tipping depends on the service…I always provide food and drink for my movers. IF they do an exceptional job, I will tip them with cashola.

I wish you the best on your move…

5. I always provide food and drink to the moving people ~ as for the tip in the form of cashola, that depends on the service…

I wish you the best on your move!

6. Julie 6

Just reading about your move is making me tired! I hope you’re in the home stretch.

7. We always tip our movers…ALWAYS! Mostly for the reason you outlined. It’s backbreaking work. We probably overtip, but I’d rather do that than have people…people we are entrusting our valuables with, feel like we’re stingy.

We’ve always provided beverages too. Just seems like the human thing to do.

Glad to hear your move is progressing, although I’m knackered just reading about it.

8. leftfoot 8

I always tip my movers. My last move was from a 1700 sq foot, 3 bdr house and I tipped each guy $20. (They were awesome, though. Quick, efficient and careful.) Like you I chase them around with food and drinks. I remember how heavy my crap is (see: 1970s metal office desk, solid oak king size bed frame, 8ft by 3ft oak dresser and an oak high boy).

9. I don’t envy your hard hard job right now. Moving is such a painful experience for me. I don’t know why but I get emotionally attached to every place i have lived….even if I am looking forward to the move. Crazy I know. I also feed people that I have hired. I think it is a small illness. Every contractor that has worked out here eats meals with us. I can’t help it. I am looking forward to your new adventures.

10. KathyB. 10

Whew! I too , figured your absence from blog land meant more moving adventures….and even lots of cooking and chasing big men around!

11. LilSis 11

Congrats on getting everything loaded and on it’s way. I’ve always had such mixed emotions making big moves. It’s sad leaving but also very exciting moving to your new place.

Good luck!

12. Betty 12

Drive safe, stay focused.
    I shall say a prayer for your safe arrival.
    Betty

13. Harry 13

You have this urge to feed people? You just have to be Jewish, even if you’re not!

14. SO Exciting :-D.

15. deeba 15

PHEW…must be tiring Cathy! I’m like you. I like to tip when someone does honest-to-goodness work, & happily, that too! All the very best for your move…it’s a huge change in life, but can see it’s for the better! Best of luck to you & your wonderful family!

I’d say you made their day. You fed them and gave them more money..why wouldn’t that make them happy? Oh, I’m a food pusher too though. You can’t visit me unless I’m trying to feed you. lol

17. Kathryn J 17

Movers expect to get tipped and get whiny when they aren’t tipped. I used to date one.

18. emiglia 18

I think you are absolutely adorable! I don’t know if you’re supposed to tip or feed movers, but I wish I was one of them so that you could have fed me!!

19. Julia 19

I always try to feed the workers when I have them in my house, too. I think a fed worker is a happy worker. And a happy worker is productive !

Good luck in the final stretch!

20. I am the same way when I have someone come into my home to do any work! When we had our satellite dish put on the house, it was freezing cold out. I felt so bad for the installer that I made him coffee then bought him lunch. I felt like it was the least I could do when he was up on our roof in the dead of winter!

21. All that delicious food made them extra careful with your things! Safe travels;)

22. ali 22

You ARE supposed to tip them and they LOVE to be fed…my boyfriend is a mover and he LOVES when someone feeds them well for a long hard job. You have to feed those muscles!

23. Sandra 23

As they say around here…ya done good! It’s always polite to err on the side of kindness. As you do, so do I…feed anyone who walks thru the door no matter if they are being paid to do a job or not. It’s called hospitality and is, woefully, out of fashion. As you’ve cast your bread upon the water, it will be returned, no act of kindness goes unnoticed or unrewarded. Ever.

24. ntsc 24

The last time I moved, 1996, the guy who did the estimate was explicit that I must tip daily and at a specific percentage of the day’s cost.

Even if I reached the point of maximum charge, which I did, I must tip as if I were being charged.

Nothing was damaged. Three days to pack and one to unpack.

25. I’m so excited about your move!
    And yes… everyone must be fed, the more the better. I don’t know how many times I’ve asked “I wonder if I’ve made too much food? I should make more, do you think?” and my poor family just rolls their eyes.
    Those movers must be in heaven with your cooking!

26. Ramona 26

I bet you made their day. And they probably wished everyone they did work for was like you!

Ramona

27. I have no doubt that the moving guys loved your food and your tips! I’m sure all of that made their day!

I’m so excited about your move!

And you sectional sounds like my dream sofa!

28. Leah 28

I am glad (and so are they) that you tipped the movers – with all the moving I have done in my life (using the same movers each time of 6 times) I keep teasing and asking when I am going to get a free move – but it is acceptable and even expected to give them a tip…. you did good!

Been without a laptop for weeks – so finally, I am back in the groove. Looking forward to catching up on your news….

29. Sounds exhausting but exciting too! Good luck with everything during the move!

How exciting, best of luck to you. The exhaustion…ugh.

31. Kayola 31

I’m sure you made their day!!!! Lucky Lucky Movers!!!! They probably were grateful to have gotten to move you…have a very safe drive…

32. Lisa 32

When we move we always feed the packers and movers too. I never heard any complaints. We’ve moved cross country several times and the movers are an integral part of each memory. Great people. Glad you treated them well!

33. erin 33

yay! What an exciting adventure. My husband and his father are currently on a road trip in Oregon, wondering if its the area we’re supposed to be in….and we’re both thinking it is. I can’t wait to hear more updates!

34. annbb 34

It’ll just keep getting better and better! And sleep will come…not for a long while, but it WILL come!

35. Biz 35

OMG, I can just see you walking behind the movers!!

I am excited for your new adventure!!

36. That is so exciting – I cannot wait to watch this new chapter unfold!! Congratulations!!

37. It’ll soon be over and you’ll be relaxing and planning your summer in your new home. I can’t wait to hear about it.

38. maris 38

Good luck! Sounds exhausting and hope it all goes by quickly for you!

Did the moving men want to be fed? Hmmm. Men. Yes, they wanted to be fed. Safe drive to you. Give the kids notebooks and digital cameras, and tell them to take pictures and write down what each was, then they can make a scrapbook of their journey to their new home. Seriously, it beats dulling their brains with videos in the car (which I don’t have and would never permit in my little world for brain dulling reasons). Enjoy this new journey of yours; see you in a few days!

I bet you were their VERY FAVORITE customer EVER. Looking forward to visiting your vineyard someday. Have a safe trip to Oregon.

41. Adventure indeed! Looking forward to hearing about your new home.

42. imom 42

I’m glad to hear you fed the movers! They do work very hard. Now you get to unpack on the other end!

43. Kimberly 43

Hey send me your new mailing address for the family phone list… I will be updating it soon with Mariannes info as well. Love Me

44. June 44

Yikes. Now I’m feeling guilty because I’ve never tipped the movers, except to give them a tip that taking apart antiques is not a good thing Oh dear! You are amazing! Hope you can get a little rest (yeah right) and remember, you don’t have to unpack everything in the first 24 hours. Be safe, have some laughs & enjoy the trip!

45. Maria in Oregon 45

I have the exact same thing – I have to feed people who come over! Even when I was married, and I hated most of my husband’s friends, no one EVER left hungry!

Welcome to Oregon! Safe journey! Stop by Medford and say hi!

46. Marcy 46

Wow Cathy, that seems to have gone fast. From you talking about moving, to you actually doing it. I hope you and yours enjoy your new adventure. Please keep us updated and have a safe trip!

Good luck! I bet the mover’s appreciated both the tip and the food.

48. kathleen 48

always always tip movers. or anyone else who does you a service. except the guys who pump gas in oregon. they’re not allowed to take tips.

49. I also have the illness of feeding people. I love to feed people. Poor Ben gained 30 lbs when we got married!

Cathy, this is all just so thrilling! I know you’re exhausted with all the packing & feeding of packer/movers but this is just the start of your next Excellent Adventure In Life. I’m excited enough for all of you, I assure you. Happy Trails my friend!

Don’t worry about us. We’ll all be here when you get back to us.

Just a question… Is the Wild Boar planning to open a new practice in Oregon or just work with you on the vineyard? Just curious. I suppose I’m kind of wondering what all this is like for him. He isn’t sleepwalking yet is he? Hehehe

51. You feed moving men, hydrate them, AND tip them. We’ve moved 7 times. Good luck!

Cass

I think the good food you probably gave them would have been tip enough! Hope everything goes smoothly.

53. I feel exactly as you do: I have to leave the house if someone is doing any kind of manual labor here.

54. Debbie 54

I’ve moved severalt times over the past 10 years and I have always tipped the movers well. The same ones moved me twice and they were fantastic both times. My middle son did some moving when he first graduated high school and was always so happy when he received a tip. So I’d say you definitely did the right thing there! Those guys work hard. I’m sure you will be glad when you are all settled in. What a good feeling when it is all over!!!

55. mariah 55

Sounds exhausting, but the vineyard is going to be SO GREAT

56. I bet you are tired. That sofa does sound like a great one. I know the guys appreciated all your rewards, especially the food!

Shirley

57. Kim 57

God Bless you Cathy! A new adventure, and once you are settled in and have had a chance to rest, I am sure it will be worth it.

58. megan 58

How exciting! I wish you the best of luck! Give me a wave as you pass through Redding!

59. Debra 59

I’m so impressed you have energy left to post after organizing your stuff for a move of this magnitude!!! Truly amazing!! I have enjoyed your site with the scrumptions recipes and yummy commentary. I wish you and your family the best of luck and am anxiously awaiting further posts and ultimately wine from your vinyard!

60. Hi! I am a blogger in Portland. Are you headed here or elsewhere? I’m a new reader. . . I’m mainly posting to say that it is beyond OK to tip mover’s. I have worked as a mover, and I can tell you that mover’s are almost always dirt poor, and would positively look at a tip as an enormous blessing. You know who doesn’t deserve a tip? Bartender’s. But we tip them anyway, don’t we?

61. Andrea 61

You’re gonna love it here :) It’s even been nice for a while (no rain).. LOL

62. Mary 62

yes I tip my movers. But I’m never moving again so I’m done with that. Have a safe trip, looking forward to wine country updates. Mary

63. Diane in Cincinnati 63

I feel your pain – I am moving in 9 days! I, however, am moving less than 1 mile from my current home – still a big pain in the a$$!

64. Hi Cathy,

I have the guilt driven feeding sickness too. I think many of us must. I hope everything goes well and you got some much needed rest.

Laura

65. Anne E 65

Oregon rocks, I grew up there. And Portland is a foodie’s heaven.

66. vanessa 66

Best of luck with the move! Sounds like the movers deserved the food, drink, and tips. Can’t wait to hear about all of the new adventures in Oregon.

67. Lacy 67

Safe trip!
    What part of Oregon are you headed too?
    We’re in Oregon City, just south of Portland.
    Weather has been great here, a little overcast but pleasant. Good for moving.

68. elra 68

Your spirit is amazing, you don’t even sound stress. I admire you Cathy! Good luck with the move.

69. good luck!!! I’m so excited to see all that your new land has to offer :)

70. I always feed and drink (does that make sense? sounds funny) and tip my movers. I know I am paying them. But I could do it as well, I just don’t want to. Feed, drink and tip them. Then your chances of things arriving in the same shape they left are increased exponentially.

Good luck!

Come on up to Oregon! The raindrops have been holding off, so it’s a great time to move in. I love that you fed your movers. Hungry mover-people are not happy, careful mover-people! I bet they went back to the warehouse and bragged to all the other movers about the sweet job they just completed! And, yes, tipping is a good thing. Movers work hard! Looking forward to hearing about your moving-in experience! :-)

72. Steph 72

You are so nice! Good luck with your move.

73. Melynda 73

I have been checking for updates regularly and was glad to see this one! When you start out, just head N and arrive safely. Then you can tell us all about it.

74. Cheryl 74

Can hardly wait to see the new environs with you all in residence!

(I DO hate moving, but vicariously, I’m enjoying yours!)

75. lo 75

I’m sure all that food MORE than made up for the unusually large furniture you made those guys move. :)

All the best with the move!!

76. I moved a lot and never tipped my movers. I did feed them, gave them drinks and at the end of the day I gave them all my unfinished booze bottles. They are always really happy with that gift.