Better Than Unpacking

Well, anything is better than unpacking and we had to get away from the boxes and the organizing.  While two of the PODS won't arrive until later today, we still had a trailer full of stuff to put away.  We are tired so we are taking a timeout for fresh air.

We have been eating most meals out, which I'll admit gets tiring but I don't really have all my kitchen stuff to cook what I consider a good meal.  It's going to take awhile to get the kitchen put away the way I want it and regain my cooking mojo.  A new kitchen does leave you feeling a bit lost.  In the meantime we'll try all the restaurants in town.

I have not been to the vineyard property since April and was anxious to see the progress.  Wow how things have changed.

The boys are drawn to the machines.

They stopped running around long enough for me to snap a photo and then they were off again.

I was amazed at how much work had been done.  So much more land has been cleared.  This area here is huge even though the picture doesn't really show it.

This used to be completely covered in tree stumps.  It's really amazing to see it this way.

The boys insist I photograph every machine.  I have to admit the machines make the brown dusty backdrop more interesting.

The size of this log is truly gigantic.  It needs to be carved into some type of sculpture or wooden bench.  This photo doesn't do it justice, it's beautiful.

A little nature found amongst the rubble.

We hiked around for hours.  Then we took a nap.  Perfect.

One Year Ago Today:  Corporate-Schmorporate

1. What gorgeous boys! Gorgeous!

2. Very little imagination is required to visualize the big machines as dinosaurs or dragons, and the hooligans poised beneath them appears as if your wee knights have conquered them.

Love the picture of you three together and I am so looking forward to the ongoing story of your new home and vineyard….and of course, the winery, and all the good food recipes to serve with the wine!

3. Hmmmm. Maybe those big machines could rip open the pod and scoop the contents into your house. May as well make use of them since they probably cost a mint.

Congratulations on completing your move. It is stressful to move from town to town in the same state. Across 3 states was probably a gigantic challenge.

4. My son would have been in heaven being around all those real “machines” (macheeens!, as he would say). This will be an awesome experience for you all. Guess you need a person in every photo to give some scale. I’m envisioning it on a grand one though and it’s awesome. :-) Love the nature photos and the last one of the three of you!

Shirley

5. donna 5

I feel your cooking mojo pain, new kitchens equate unsatiisfaction till the routine is down pat. The photos are beautiful, it must be a sight to actually see in person. Your boys are adorable.

6. Susan 6

What an exciting adventure, Take it slow and it will go smooth. Beautiful boys-what a great adventure for them!

I’ve been away and am trying to catch up on blogs I love. Been wondering how you’re making out with the move and am pleased to see all the progress! I hope you’re not trying to do too much and it was good to see the last pic. Wishing you the best in your new digs!!

8. Ahhh, home!
    Hey, I’m pretty sure one of my husband’s sisters used to live in McMinnville! It may even be they still do, but they are moving to Houston in July.

9. My 2 year old daughter was very happy that you photographed every machine as well–we have spent some good time looking at every one.

10. deeba 10

Yes indeed, that’s much better than unpacking. What a huge expanse of land, & the trunk is gorgeous! I like the mean machines too…they contrast surrealistically with the bits of nature Cathy! The boys look like they’re having FUN!!

11. Looking great! And I cannot believe how big the hooligans are!! WOW!

12. Lea Ann 12

I live in Denver and just found your blog a couple of days ago. We visited Willamette Valley last summer and fell in love with the area and the wine. We spent one evening in McMinville – Nick’s Italian Cafe is wonderful!

Wow! How impressive! I can’t wait till we see baby grape vines dotting rows on the landscape.

14. So exciting to see the update on the land. Until the PODS arrive, enjoy your “vacation”!

15. Melynda 15

Good to see you out and about on the land and making plans once again. There will always be work to get done, but some days are simply for playing.

16. Oh goodness! We have a tree cutter in our yard, left over from yesterday. My 2 year old was amazed by the machine, as was his dad! :)
    Your land does look beautiful.

17. Howdy 17

You are certainly making memories… 10 or 15 years down the road as you sit around on a warm summer eve the boys and you will laugh at the fun you had exploring the land as it was developed…

And those PODS – speaking from experience – as you unpack you will face more than one box that makes you think… “why ever did I keep this stuff?” LOL I’m still finding stuff and we have been here a year now.

18. Wow–they have made a lpt of progress! How exciting! I’ll bet it’s nice to be out in the fresh air after all that unpacking and organizing!!

19. melissa 19

What wonderful pictures! Just think, someday your going to wake up every morning and see those views! Only with grapes.

20. Look at you with your cutie little guys!

Everything looks so great! Moving is such a pain, isn’t it? And you’re right…eating out does get boring. When we remodeled our kitchen we did a lot of eating out. After a while all you want is a nice home cooked meal.

21. Wow! A lot has been done… That chunk of tree is really amazing!

I don’t know which I hate worse, packing or unpacking. Ugh.

22. Ramona 22

How exciting to finally be there and seeing everything come together. Eating out for a bit will give you a good chance to scope out all the places around you. Then when you need to grab something, you’ll already know where to go in a hurry.

Congrats to your family.

Ramona

23. imom 23

I’m so glad you got out and about! The pictures are amazing. There will always be time to unpack on another day!

I love the pictures, but especially the one of you & the hooligans. I can’t believe all those big trees are gone! I can hardly wait for the planting, which I’m sure is a long way off…

25. Marlene 25

I know you all must be so very happy to be home. I can see it in your faces. I love the big machines as well, but that land…OMG. i want to come and visit.

26. What adorable boys! What a great adventure they will have! This is one move that looks well worth all the hassle.

27. Oh Cathy, it’s just stunning there. You must be so happy now to be truly home. Congratulations. I’m just thrilled for you all to be together there now.

28. Laurie 28

You must be so exhausted, but you look beautiful! Great photos. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.

Gorgeous! Can’t wait to follow you on your journey! Loving every minute so far.
    Congratulations and good luck!

30. Mary 30

Cathy, it’s amazing to watch it all fall into place. Before you know it you’ll have vines. It really must be so exciting for you. Enjoy each new day.

31. The Little Imp is fascinated with all the machines and wants to know if we can have one in our backyard as well. Um…no.

Love the picture of you and the boys. Gorgeous!

Am sooooo enjoying watching this journey of yours unfold.

32. Kayola 32

What a beautiful view…..that is absolutely gorgeous!!!!! And you Miss Cathy are too…..what a beautiful lady….in my crazy little brain….I thought the way you cook that you would have some meat on your bones….N O T!!!! Glad you can be a fam again….

33. Your property is beautiful, and what a view! Boys and machinery – they love it.

34. I know what you mean when you move into a new place with a new kitchen, You really have to get the feel of it before you can really begin to cook again!

35. Biz 35

I agree, even though its nice to eat out, it does get old after a while!

Can’t wait to see what you create in your new kitchen! 😀

36. June 36

Ohh, the view – the rolling hills, soft air, incredible light. I swear, living anywhere else is just a cheap imitation. There is no where on earth like the Pacific Northwest…I do go on don’t I? Can’t WAIT to get back there. It’ll all get done in time, so I hope you can take some more time to treasure your treasures!

37. vada askew 37

What a great idea for a children’s book…

BIG MACHINES AND LITTLE BOYS….

38. Kristy 39

I’m so glad you made it safe and sound! The land looks great! We are having a great time up here at Wishon fishing, relaxing, and goofing around! Miss you already! Give my scout a squeeze for me!

They are BOYS. Of course they like the machines. When we were renovating our last house, we didn’t eat at home for 2 years. Yes, TWO YEARS. It was a long time ago. Be sure to put together a “Box Of Fun” for the boys at some point. It will make your unpacking easier, and they will be happy. I’m glad you finally got to see your progress.

40. Familia 41

what a nice kick-off to a whole new routine!

41. vanessa 42

The land looks amazing! My 4 & 1/2 year old nephew would flip out if he could run up to all of those machines.

Enjoy trying all of the new restaurants in town. I am constantly doing that, but without an excuse. :)

42. Hi Kathy, just caught up on your posts-feels like I’ve been gone forever! I’m glad the move is over and you have some time before the PODS arrive, AND that your family is all together again! Love your pictures! That log is stunning and I can’t wait to see what you do with it. But the best is the pic of you and your boys-so sweet! Happy getting settled in. I look forward to hearing about your new adventures!

43. I would declare the log my thinking stump.

44. Sara 45

How exciting! Great pics of the land. I know what you mean about eating out, it’s fun and all, but sometimes I want a home cooked meal!

You have the most amazing view from your new place!

46. annbb 47

The internet powers that be just swallowed my reply – if it shows up, just delete away.

As I was trying to say – progress on all fronts! And that’s wonderful!

47. Hilary 48

Fantastic Cathy .. well done on getting there .. moving at the best of times is pretty terrible .. but with pod after pod arriving ..never mind it’ll soon be over.

Love the pictures and the beautiful expanse of land and views ..

Thanks for sharing with us ..
    Hilary Melton-Butcher
    Positive Letters

48. Perfect, indeed!

49. Glad that you arrived safe and sound. The unpacking has to be as daunting as the packing though. The views from the land are gorgeous. I’ll bet the sunsets are delightful-soon (well, relatively speaking)you can take it in with a nice Pinot Noir in your hand!

50. Sounds like it was a fun hike, great to take a break from unpacking. The nature views are so pretty at your new place.

51. elra 52

Gorgeous Cathy, you and the kids … all of you look so gorgeous. And your site look so beautiful too.

52. I LOVED what you posted today! The pictures are great, as usual and I thought what you wrote was wonderful. What a gorgeous family picture!

Awww, that’s a great shot of you and the boys! Those rolling hills are sooo gorgeous. I bet it’s so awesome to just listen to the “quiet” of nature along with the squeals of delight from your kids. You’re all Oregonian’s now! When we first moved here, a friend pulled me aside and instructed me that I needed to pronounce the word Oregon like a true Oregonian. I had been saying it Or-ah-GONE. “No, no, no!” she said aghast, “it’s OR-ee-gun.” Imagine my double blink. Still, I’ve always remembered that. Since you are from CA, you probably already know this phonetic requirement, but thought I’d pass it along. :-) So glad that you all arrived safely. Hope your pods all get here okay, too. Especially the pod with all your Halloween trinkets! Looking forward to seeing the winery unfold step by step! :-) It’s so exciting to see your dream coming true!

54. Sophia 55

Loving all the pics, and the sweet family picture!
    You have stunning photos. I know 99% of it is skills, but may I still ask what camera you use?

55. That is a beautiful piece of property! Congratulations. I also understand about eating out so much. I like to cook and love my own cooking. Hopefully you will be all unpacked and settled soon.

56. Beautiful pictures of the Oregon countryside.
    Somedays were made for naps!

57. Welcome Home!! I’m so excited to see you in your vineyard. I’ll keep on praying and celebrating with you. : D

58. giz 59

Big WOW factor – the property is simply gorgeous. I can’t even imagine the work that’s going on there right now. Everyone’s still all smiles so it must be good :)

59. Can’t wait to see more of your new place.

Beautiful picture of yourself and the boys.

60. this is so awesome to see you there and making your dream happen. make some soup, think simple and country. your on an expensive venture and economizing carefully would be a good idea.
    eating out is fun too, but a few meals in the new house will make it feel like home.

61. Chou 62

Oh, congratulations on the move.

62. Thanks for the photos. Great idea about making a bench from the giant log, hope to see a photo of that in another year.

63. Welcome to Oregon!
    Boy, am glad that one of my favorite food bloggers is NOW so near me. I live in Eugene.
    Can’t wait till you have the vineyard up and running. It’s beautiful where you are. But Oregon is just an awesome place to live and play.

64. SnugBug 65

Love the pix! The happy faces…the active machines…the move made…the future ahead! Congrats!!