Anyway, yesterday began like no other. Kids to school. Breakfast. Bread baking (oh yeah, and packing).
I normally fill a broiler pan with water on the bottom rack of my oven when I bake bread. With all of the boxing up of my kitchen, I couldn't locate my broiler pan. Against my better judgment I used a Pyrex dish to do the job. BAD IDEA.
I will admit, I do think of Pyrex as somewhat indestructible. I've cooked with it at very high temperatures without incident.
However, in haste, I didn't consider sudden temperature changes. When I added hot water to the hot pan, it violently shattered into a million glass shards, inside my oven. It was literally like shrapnel hitting the walls. Ugh.
What a total mess. Thank gawd I was wearing my glasses because wow. What was I thinking?
I did a little research and the rumors state, since Corning stopped making Pyrex, the durability of it has really suffered. It goes on to say the new product is no longer made of borosilicate glass which is very resistant to thermal shock while the new Pyrex is made from soda-lime-glass, not as resistant to rapid temperature changes. There were lots (I mean lots) of stories about removing dishes from the oven and in the face of cooling temperatures, dishes have shattered while sitting on the counter.
I haven't bought Pyrex in years. I mostly use stoneware now but I do have some leftover Pyrex pieces. This particular dish had no cracks or chips but possibly had Pyrex fatigue.
Anyway, be careful. Has anyone else had a dish self-destruct before?
Yes, this was totally my fault, Pyrex does warn against rapid temperature change, but this scared the heck out of me.
The good part...my oven is now spotless after the clean-up.
Subscribe by emailEnter your email address in the box below to receive notifications directly to your inbox each time there is a new blog post!
TWEETS @ noblepig
- Beer-Cider Slam https://t.co/VUpliBB7sp #NationalDrinkBeerDay https://t.co/UGTD0BJO33, 3 hours ago
- These Sweet Chicken Chipotle Bites are going to be your new favorite dinner. Serve with warm,… https://t.co/RUHjSs0XnE, 4 hours ago
- RT @BarefeetKitchen: Sweet Chipotle Chicken Bites are a BIG favorite from #theweeknightdinnercookbook via @noblepig… https://t.co/tBSrpODhFu, 6 hours ago
- RT @cookthenet: Bacon, Tomato and Cheddar Breakfast Bake. - https://t.co/I6CzpMqQri via: @noblepig https://t.co/HabyKxR8FX #FoodPorn, 6 hours ago
- RT @BruCrewLife: This Avocado & Three Bean Salad from @noblepig sounds delicious! https://t.co/bGIyMbYaM2 https://t.co/8QoeJxeMXe, 6 hours ago