Just when you think you've exhausted every possibility of flavors, something inspires you (maybe hunger) to experiment with another combination of ingredients.
I must have been hungry the other day when I looked in my fruit-veggie bowl and saw potatoes and lemons. Hmmmm. Why not right?
Further digging through a basket unearthed a shallot and some garlic and....ta-da....Garlicky-Lemon-Shallot Potatoes were born. Wow, they are so good. I never think of potatoes as having a bright flavor but when you add lemon zest and squeeze some lemon over them, the flavors really perk up.
I've made them three times since then and they seem to go well with everything; chicken, steak and burgers. They are even good cold, right of the fridge. Don't ask me how I know that.
These potatoes are a great alternative to a high-caloric potato salad...they taste summery. Go figure.
Let's make them together...
Here's what you will need: Red new potatoes, extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice and zest, garlic, shallot, coarse salt, freshly ground pepper and parsley for garnish.
Steam 3 pounds small red new potatoes in a covered pot until potatoes are cooked through and easily pierced with a fork; about 20-25 minutes.
While the potatoes are steaming, sauté shallot and crushed garlic in 1 Tablespoon oil until soft and edges are slightly brown.
When potatoes are done cooking, softly press a fork against the skin of the potato, smashing it slightly.
Transfer potatoes to a large bowl and toss with shallot-garlic mixture, 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, the zest of two lemons, the juice of one lemon, coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Transfer potatoes to a serving platter, garnish with some parsley and let everyone go at them. They will disappear.
Noble Pig Coffee Mugs$16.00
Subscribe by emailEnter your email address in the box below to receive notifications directly to your inbox each time there is a new blog post!
TWEETS @ noblepig
- Snow fun tonight. @ Middle of Nowhere https://t.co/7sOcdgR7uH, 11 hours ago
- You need Reese's Fudge https://t.co/PAOeVxKmGD via @Dinnersdishes https://t.co/6ENIrKk4ps, 17 hours ago
- First snow of the season. @ McMinnville, Oregon https://t.co/9kdEAxQWVj, 20 hours ago
- RT @LemonTreeCathy: Garlic & Herb CHEESY POTATOES!! You're gonna love them! https://t.co/8IwEgF42NX @Crystal_Farms #CrystalFarmsCheese… https://t.co/wQk85U4qCH, Dec 4
- RT @wearychef: Favorite Baked #Spinach #Dip Recipe https://t.co/GoJAZAQmlD This spinach dip recipe is a must make for your next pa… https://t.co/5aSl5JvKw7, Dec 4