Sitting and Waiting

This picture was taken from our property in Oregon.

What is it about traveling that is so utterly exhausting?

Let’s face it, an hour and a half in an airplane is nothing. NOTHING.  So is it the driving to the airport, the sitting, the waiting in line, the sitting on the plane?

It doesn’t sound very exhausting…it’s all sitting.  But it manages to suck the life out of me every time.

And how is it a 10 second pea sized hail storm, right as you pull away from the gate, is allowed to jack up a perfect departure time, leaving you at the mercy of an inspection crew…who now has to inspect EVERY SINGLE AIRPLANE at the airport.

Can you tell I’m tired?  Maybe a little cranky?

I’ll get over it.

One Year Ago: Supper Club!

1. deeba 1

Yes exhausting…but I’ve been on the other side on the tarmac for years. Not easy there either. The hub is an aircraft maintenance engineer & I know what it takes to check/walk around one aircraft. Imagine so many! Vagaries of nature…

2. Maybe it’s the bad air at the airport and on the planes. Seriously, that recircled crap just tires you out. Same thing when I worked at the hospital. It’s the air not being fresh. Once you step outside where there is no smog, you start to feel okay again. Try to drink lots of water. The hydration helps a bit.

3. Lori 3

I’m the same way – couldn’t figure out way all that sitting and napping would leave me so tired. Jet lag also gets me. I still have a bit of it left after one week back from Japan!

4. I feel your pain. There usually has to be a pretty exciting destination or person(s) on the other end to make folks travel these days. It takes the whole time in between departing and returning flights to fully recover.

Shirley

5. Hope everything gets normal soon for you…..

6. Shawn 6

So…where ya going? Someplace wonderful? Someplace with sandy beaches and palm trees and drinks with little umbrellas in ’em?

7. Donna 7

Picture reminds me of the song.. Im leaving on a jet plane.. dont know when Ill be back again. We all need to get a bit cranky once in a while, its ok, I feel your pain, I do.. My advice 2 bloody marys and then 2 more;)XXOO chin up!

8. Just another reason I hate air travel. You’d think, as much as I have flown in the past, especially international and transatlantic flights, it would be a no-brainer…but I hate it. You sit and wait at the gate and all the sitting on the plane itself just kills me. Cranky doesn’t even begin to describe me once I get off of an airplane.

Hope your descent back into normalcy is a smooth one with no turbulence!

9. Julia 9

Oh, i know it is… but nothing that a nice shot of brandy can’t fix.

I saw sitting and waiting and all I could think was my 3 hour wait to get in to see the neurosurgeon….that was pure hell.

11. Leslie 11

What a cool photo! Travelng does suck every bit of life out of me too!

Patience is a virtue and too much of it can “hurtcha”. An old saying we used to use when our patience wore thin. I use any “waiting” time I have to meditate, and that seems to help.

Oh ugh. Travel IS exhausting, no matter how you slice it.

14. Jeff 14

hug….I hate airports with a passion however, I hate driving more.

maybe cocktail hour should be moved up a couple hours–just for tonight; it’ll take the crankies away.

16. imom 16

It’s the stress of travel that’s exhausting. It seems like I always need a day to recover.

I love the plane photo!

17. Waiting and traveling can both suck the life out of you. I hope you’re getting closer to the point that you can just be in Oregon instead of the traveling back and forth…

18. Great picture!
    Maybe a good night’s sleep and a new recipe are just what you need.

For me, it’s the crowds and the getting there and the packing and everything. It’s exhausting.

20. Kayola 20

Bless your ♥! Plus if you have the kids with you…keeping an eye on them or keeping track of them…makes me tired…and I’m not even moving anything except my eyes…now that’s a workout…huh? If you are traveling all the time and knowinf what’s on your plate as far as moving would poop me out too…

21. I love to go places, but I hate getting there. I’m still looking forward to the day I can be beemed to my destination!

22. That’s what I hate about traveling–the sitting and the waiting! It IS exhausting!!

23. I so feel your pain – every time i travel for work I feel exhausted!

That picture is very cool.

Yes, it’s the waiting and waiting that kills me every time. I don’t even know how people travel, get off the plane, have a meeting and bounce back. I guess you get used to it but it just wears me out.

Re-entry is hard but what can we do!

25. No matter how short the flight, it can suck the life right out of a person. All the hurry up and wait is exhausting.

26. Lo! 26

This is one of those “slice of life” moments that I think resonates long and hard with a good many of us.

Travel does suck the life out of a person. In fact, one of my goals in life is to TRULY enjoy the journey. Someday…

27. Brian 27

My wife and I sat on a plane for over 3 hours, 50 feet from the terminal at Dallas/Ft Worth coming back from our honeymoon because of a thunderstorm with lightning. They actually just turned the plane off after a while. Good times.

28. FYI – Remember when we were kids and those contrail clouds coming off of airplanes lasted about 60 seconds or so? Well, have you noticed they are now lasting hours in the sky? Lines and stripes of cloud trails now.

These are called CHEMtrails. The government is spraying and testing chemicals on us. Contrails are made of ice particals, chemtrails, which can last hours, not seconds have all sorts of crap in them. This is not just some weather modification plan (and who whats that either).

Start researching this. Ask questions! Demand answers!

29. Sandra 29

Yes, exhausting but less so than driving the same distance.

I believe the exhaustion is caused by dealing with semi competent people who couldn’t possibly care less about making your travel experience anything other than unpleasant at best. Parking, schlepping your crap around and then being at the mercy of the fine folks who stuffed you into that tin can, with no real control over your travel, eat you up mentally. I’d rather drive anything under 700 miles, and I have to think hard about flying more than that distance.

31. gah

I hate traveling, I make it a point to do it as little as possible.

33. Kari 33

I’ve always felt this way. I wish someone could explain why I feel so tired after flying. I was once told they don’t give you enough oxygen on the plane?? Who knows. Great picture tho, just awesome!

34. I hate traveling. I hate getting on a plane and flying from MA to CA then getting in a car and driving 3 hours to where my family lives. It is so draining that it kills me.

But, like you said, you get cranky then you get over it. Still…it stinks.

35. Mary 35

The remedy is a bubble bath and ginger tea! It works every time. Some things can’t be avoided.

36. Sometimes I don’t mind flying on the airplane, but the Sunday flight back from London was just horrible and did leave me completely exhausted!

The only time I look forward to flying is when it to a fun and tropical location. Otherwise, it’s exhausting!

38. elra 38

Cathy, can you imagine being on an air plane for 21 hours, stop over in some country then waiting for the the next connection flight for 5 hours. You stuck in that airport in the middle of the night, and most of the duty free stores are close. Yes, it can be suck. I know!
    Xoxo,
    elra

39. What a great picture! I hope the lag wears off soon!

40. Hilary 40

Hi Cathy …I hate travelling too .. I think it’s just the nebulousness of the whole duration .. you can’t concentrate, you can’t work, you’re stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea ..

I suppose re the hail stones .. it’s probably better to be safe than sorry .. but again more hanging around.

You’ll forget and be able to enjoy Oregon soon ..

Hilary Melton-Butcher
    Positive Letters

41. Linda 41

I love traveling. But I need that day of recovery once I get there or once I get home. With a bubble bath and wine, preferably.

Hey, I made the Coke glaze for my Easter ham. Huge hit! Thanks.

42. It’s takes me a day in planes and airports to go visit my family. I don’t like it at all.

43. Travel: It’s the good news and the bad news. Nothing can be better…or worse. I actually think it’s the packing that does me in, even though I pride myself on packing light.

44. It’s so true. The hurry-up-and-wait bit about flying is exhausting. What I REALLY hate is when I have business trips and I fly and have meetings in the same day. I’d much rather just go to the hotel that night and work first thing the next morning. I was on a business trip to Denver where I got off the plane right when a meeting was supposed to start. I rescheduled for a half hour later, got to my hotel, took 3 minutes to change my clothes, and ran to my meeting on foot. Have I mentioned I had never been to Denver before?

Then I had a trip to Calgary where I left home at 5AM, flew to Calgary and got there by noon and had a meeting at two. Of course the time difference meant I had been awake far longer than any human being who had to work that afternoon should be up. I drank four cups of coffee in a sitting and I don’t even drink coffee normally!

45. Sandie 45

I find that life, in addition to travel, is both exhilarating and exhausting. Ironic, isn’t it?

46. Traveling always makes me tired!

I love the picture!

For a single hour in a plane, I have to park offsite, wait for a shuttle to come get me, stand in line for up to an hour to get through security/boarding, wait in line for a plane that may be delayed a half hour or so, sit cramped between two very large men with no leg room, then wait for my bags once I arrive, then find a cab or other transportation to my destination. Throw in the fact that I’m terrified of flying and it down right makes it a completely exhausting and lost day!

48. Melissa 48

I hate sitting on an airplane. HATE. Sorry you’re having delays.

49. I hate waiting. I get mad.

50. Jamee 50

At least your traveling involved a plane ride and not a 7 hour car ride! I’d rather fly anywhere then drive, especially across the boring midwest!

51. Melynda 51

I think the exhaustion comes from NOT getting anything done. Rest up, you’ll be back at it soon!

I’m convinced it’s the altitude & the waiting issues. Wasted time always gets me. Hugs to you! And grab sleep when you can… it’s going to be bumpy for a while.

53. KathyB. 53

Oh no! Pea sized hail? Snow is still falling around here, will that be affecting your travel too? Naps sound like a good idea!

54. I went to Roseville today for “supplies.” Arrived home exhausted to find snow falling form the sky . . . for the second time that day. Sheesh . . . my calendar says it’s spring.

55. I had wondered at first if you were using piracy as a metaphor. Nope. IT is what it is and it sucks.

Airports and doctor’s offices…life sucking. Hey, there’s that word again!

My friend in Atlanta was amazing that I was willing to drive to come see her on my own with the kids (she’s willing to fly to see me lest I make her sound like a bad friend :) ) and I told her I would soooooo rather drive and be in control of the entire process then spend a single moment in an airport at the whim of the airline companies. My husband once told me I ruin his “airport zen.” 😉