In The Yard

Hanging out in the yard yesterday with my camera, trying to capture bits and pieces of Spring, made me realize…

I’m not really in the mood to go back to California and finish up what I need to do there.

Yes, the kids need to finish out the school year…

And then there’s the whole packing-the-house-nightmare.

Is it worth the extra bazillion dollars the moving companies charge to come pack you, wrapping up every single, solitary pencil?

Right now it feels worth it.

What I find really interesting, is living in a place for so long and then being done with it and ready to move on.

My life is currently in such a state of transition, I find it hard to keep up with projects, calls, emails…you name it.

I’ve also realized I don’t have any of these really cool flowers in California.  They are like little Japanese lanterns.  They would burn up in the California sun.

Spring has sprung and these are everywhere.

One Year Ago Today:  Are You Being Watched…..By Your Neighbors?

1. nina 1

Your pictures are simply awesome and I agree that paying the moving companies seems like the right thing to do, doesn’t it!!!

2. Donna 2

What a beautiful site to be greeted to this morning, and just think youll get it first hand every morning..

3. Betty 3

Ok I’m up way too early but this is awesome, so I’ll go back to bed and dream of these beautiful flowers. How peaceful,Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings upon your day,
    Betty

4. All so gorgeous, Cathy! I love those lantern flowers, too. :-) Not springy here. It turned cold again … rats, but it shouldn’t last long.

If you find a moving company that is highly rated, it’s definitely worth it I think.

Shirley

5. Hazel 5

Beautiful pictures. I can relate to being done – lived in San Diego for 16 years, and was so ready to move on. And YES, it’s worth having the company come and pack. You’ll never find anything:) but it’ll be done in no time!

The flowers are GORGEOUS. I vote you stay there. :)

7. It is worth every penny to have them pack your stuff. I had no idea you were moving this soon! Is the Wild Boar starting a new practice? So exciting!

8. Yes, the moving company is so worth it! Homeschool the rest of the year. I love signs of spring. Your pictures are wonderful and I swear I can smell the flowers!

9. Erin 9

Lovely pics!

10. Your yard is ablaze with beautiful blossoms. What a lovely post.

11. Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful shots of gorgeous flora.

I’m still keeping my fingers crossed that spring is actually going to make an appearance here in Maine. So far just lots of dead grass and bare tree branches to show for it.

I have a feeling you won’t be in the kitchen cooking as much as you are now once you get out there in that beautiful environment. Things sure are different over there compared to where I live too! All we have here are a lot of weathered palm trees, not yet looking like spring, and a lot of marsh grass and water. Things here are just starting to green up…but because of the heavy salt coating they underwent, it is taking longer to look like spring around here. Your yard is very beautiful, and I bet when you build your house, you will also have it landscaped similarly. I cannot wait to see photos of the new one, the vineyard, and all the other surroundings. Thanks for sharing your spring with us.

13. Jane 13

Beautiful pictures!

14. Katrina 14

Gorgeous pictures. Oh how I wish spring was sprungin’ here! Soon enough I suppose. Then I’ll be complaining that it’s too darn hot and humid! Sigh.
    Hate packing, will be doing that in the next year, too. Great new place to live for you though!

15. Melynda 15

Again great shots, I like the weather in the PNW. Where I live in Vancouver it is very much like Marin County where I was born. A bit more rain, but we need the water. We being everyone. When you take the boxes from the truck, remember this.

Welcome to the neighborhood!

16. Jeff 16

Having moved more than my fair share of friends in my life (own a truck guess what happens) I will say if I ever move I am definitely paying someone. Well at least for the big stuff.

Pictures look amazing!

17. Beautiful pictures, Cathy. Wish I had those in my yard.
    Hopefully the packing and moving will go quickly and painless for you. I hate when things are in transition. It seems nothing goes smooth until the transition is made.

18. Moving is the worst, but you’ve found a home that you like while you wait for your new home to be built. It will be worth it when you finally get settled.

19. Claire 19

Such beautiful flowers! Great images!

20. sheila 20

I am so envious of all of those flowers! I love the magnolia, just gorgeous. Surrounded by those blooms I can understand not wanting to go back.

21. Kathy 21

I especially like the last one. Beautiful photos!

22. Louise 22

Beautiful! I especially love those Japanese lanterns, delicate and strong at the same time.

23. Nothing like spring flowers in the pacific nw! Looks like your yard is as lovely and fascinating as your house!

I know what you mean about not wanting to do the transition work, but just wanting to be done. You’ve got a lot of change ahead of you though…

24. Lara 24

Cathy, I’ve been so behind on reading that I didn’t even know you were moving! Congrats! I look forward to catching up on all the posts I’ve missed.

25. Suzette 25

Beautiful photos! Don’t you just love the lush green of the Northwest? And the berries! How I envy you the berry-picking opportunities. You’re going to love it there. Try not to think about all that’s got to come between now and then. Denial is one of my best tools. :)

26. Trisha 26

What beautiful Spring pictures. No wonder you are having problems thinking about going back home. Just think – at this time next year you will live in this Spring wonderland!

27. Your pictures are gorgeous! We do live in a special place. There’s nothing like the northwest as we start to pull out of the gray of winter. I wonder if we just appreciate it more because it’s been rainy for so long.

28. Mary 28

Cathy, your lives will get back to normal far more quickly if you have the house professionally packed and unpacked. The disruption is minimal and it will give you time to make the move less stressful for your husband and the boys.

29. imom 29

Your pictures are beautiful!

I totally know what you mean about being done with a place and wanting to move on. We lived in our old house for 19 years, I liked it fine, but once we moved to the new house I was so done with the old house. I didn’t want to go back there to do anything, but yes things needed to be done.

Exciting times ahead for you!

30. Beautiful – I have never seen a Japanese lantern well I guess the reason being is that I live in SO CAL and the sun would burn those incredible beauties up :(

31. Stunning photos! I cannot express how happy they made me to see them. Thank you for sharing!

32. Kimberly 32

Beautiful!!!!! We miss you guys — I know you are busy..drop me line and yes I know you hate phones but I do have some news for you..However we leave for the Caribbean on Friday so make it quick.

33. Patty 33

Ooh – I love your pics! Spring is the best time of year!

34. Ramona 34

I love those yard pictures. That house is awesome too. I don’t care if it is a 70’s type house. All the light fixtures are neat and so is the custom wood work. It’s been well taken care of too. I guess that makes me a 70’s kind of person then.

I’ve never seen some of those flowers, but it makes me want some for our own yard.

35. gorgeous pictures. Looks like the garden of Eden.

36. kiki 36

Lovely pictures! I love the first blush of spring and the fresh greens a bright flowers!

Thanks for sharing.

As for packing. It is for the birds! I would suggest that you start by seeing what you can get rid of (I suggest freecycle for that) You can also pack things up in stages if you have a driveway and can deal with having a storage POD there for a couple weeks. (link to pods.com) there are other companies that do this as well. I have heard good things, but haven’t used it personally.

I don’t want to come back either. I can’t blame you. What gorgeous pictures! I love that 70’s house. It would have caught my heart as well. Enjoy your journey! We love living it vicariously through your blog.

Again I am green with envy. Beautiful photography and I too hate transition phases, they are so stressful. I can’t imagine what going back and forth from different states is like.

I hope all goes well and I understand being done somewhere…been there, one that. It’s a normal feeling.

39. Sophia 39

holy cow. those are really beautiful pictures. you took them yourself? how did you find all those gorgeous flowers?
    I hope you have a smooth transition. good luck and best wishes to you!

40. misty 40

saying good bye can be so hard… especially in the details of things not a part of our bigger pictures.

I love those flowers! love them!

41. I admire people who can make radical changes like this. I’ve been in the same place forever and being away from here just never feels quite right.

I am also extremely envious of your spring. I looked out the window of my office in CT and discovered SLEET!

42. Julie 42

I love the white hangy-down things that look like bells (I’m such a plant aficionado)

I absolutely LOVE living in Oregon – we have a beautiful state. Don’t you just love the moss that grows on the trees? Spring is the best here.

44. This is absolutely beautiful, and I’ll admit to a bad case of envy. Nothing is blooming here yet, although here and there you do see a bud. One. Good luck with the house packing.

Yeah, well I’d weep for your pain with the moving company. Except I’ve never had the pleasure of using one. All of my 8 move have been done by me and a couple friends. So 😛 . Heh. But yeah, I can imagine not wanting to go back when you have that kind of yard right now, it looks lovely.

46. Such beautiful shots!

Yeah…it’s a tad bit different than California, isn’t it? I love Palm Trees as much as the next person, but when the flowers start to pop out back here, it makes my heart sing.

47. Love the pictures. We’re moving again from West to East, this summer, and I don’t like moves. We will have a packing company. Will make my life easier.

48. Leslie 48

What beautiful flowers you are going to be surrounded with! Lucky you!
    I love the green mossy stuff

49. Linda 49

Simply gorgeous! Yes … I’d pay movers. As much as I love having all the control and doing everything myself, that’s one headache that I would easily pay to avoid.

What’s your timeline for getting all moved, building, planting the vineyard, etc? I guess what I’m asking is … when will you bottle your first wine?

50. I definitely think paying someone to pack your stuff is definitely worth it.
    Welcome to Oregon.

51. Gwen 51

This almost makes me want to cry! I’m in Idaho and Spring is a fickle season right now.

Who needs California, right?

52. Gorgeous photos of the flowers!

Your pictures are making me crazy for spring. It’s not showing here yet in Pa., we had snow flurries this morning. Your ready to leave, ready for a new beginning. That’s a good thing.

You know, I always enjoyed our moves. Granted, I haven’t moved for a long time, but there was always such excitement about where and what we were moving toward, that all the other stuff just seemed like background noise. Hope the next few weeks fly by for you, and that you are here in Oregon to stay. Oregon really is bewitching, isn’t it? :-)

Gorgeous flowers! It would be hard to think about doing anything other than photographing those beauties.

gosh those are such pretty photos. I don’t think spring will ever get here…it’s been so cold for so long. I hope we have a long summer…endless summer.

57. Melissa 57

With all the beauty around you, why would you want to return?

Seriously, though, I can see what you’re saying. I’m done with California too. Likely moving next year to follow other dreams, as you have.

What an absolutely intoxicating post, Cathy! I loved all the spring pictures. It’s really far along there! Yeah, I can totally understand the lack of desire to go back and pack it all up. This new place is gorgeous.

Beautiful!!!

60. Again – your talent for photography spills through that lens of yours and onto our screens and monitors!…Looking at these images, one can understand your issues, and serene attention to the beauty surrounds you what will be your new home. As for the stuff back in CA, this is the chance to throw out that which is not beautiful, not in perfect working condition and doesn’t do anything to bring forth your dreams…broken pencils without erasers included!

61. kayola 61

I think the flowers are speaking to you and you are really in Heaven…at least I think by the pic’s of the beautiful flowers you have there…holy cow they are gorgeous! What a treat to have those to look at every day.

62. wow. I’m in awe. Your photos are absolutely gorgeous. Chapeau bas l’artiste!

We won’t have flowers for some weeks, especially with the snow this morning – BAH! Maybe forsythia will bloom in the next week, and then I’ll be happier.

64. KathyB. 64

Looking at your new place reminds me why I LOVE the Pacific Northwest and just pine away for it when I visit other places. The flowers, mossy places and trees, plus the moderate temperatures,AND you have the beautiful views . But shhh! Don’t tell everyone how beautiful it is here, please! Just keep reminding people of how much rain we get!Otherwise it will get too crowded in our neck of the country.

When your finishing up the dreaded job of moving you can cheer yourself up with your photos and the exciting life ahead! Yay Cathy!!!!!!

65. I so wish it would be the same here, it was still snowing today… :-(

Lovely pictures and hiring movers is the best idea we had when we sold our house to move here. You won’t regret it, well… not too much! Have fun!

66. Oh such pretty pictures! The daffs are in bloom now, crocus’ done, and the Magnolia’s are about to open! I love the spring, sigh.

67. Beautiful pics Cathy!! I love seeing your flowers–ours aren’t quite here yet…

68. That yard is so pretty. It is nice to know that even though you have a ton of work to do that you are one step closer to your dream. Keep goin’. You will look back and maybe giggle someday!

69. Daziano 69

Arggghhh! Can you believe it’s still snowing here in Quebec?!!

70. Hilary 70

Hi Cathy .. looks like England at the moment .. wonderful pics .. spring has sprung .. I’d get sorted a.s.a.p.!!

Good luck with the decision making ..

Hilary Melton-Butcher
    Positive Letters

71. Those photos are amazing. Especially that last picture. WOW!

72. Elyse 72

What gorgeous pictures!! Spring is so beautiful. I wouldn’t want to leave either :) But soon, you’ll get to come back.

Wow talk about blooming. Gorgeous! I wish I had some plants in my yard….

74. Nicole 74

I get your feelings looking at these images. Really! Your photos could be framed or in a gallery.

75. Beautiful, your a country girl at heart. Before you know it you’ll be diggin in the dirt yourself, and lovin it.

76. These photos are so great! Enjoy your time hanging out in the yard!

77. Marni 77

Beautiful pics, and I can relate to your feelings. We are getting geared up to a move overseas with my husband’s company, and I just can’t get motivated to do what I need to do. I am so ready to be out of Arizona, where I’ve spent my entire life, but everything seems too overwhelming. I just want someone to take care of everything for me, and let me just go over already.

78. California is overrated!! I lived near San Diego for 15 years and hated missing the seasons… and the GREEN of spring.