Bacon-Veggie Pizza

…if I put this stuff on his pizza.  I guess it was a good thing he wasn’t home when I made it.  He might have passed out.

But let me just say this, he missed out.  Big time.

Now, many of you might also have a little heart palpitation when you think of cauliflower or a brussel sprout on your pizza.  However, I’m telling you this Bacon-Veggie Pizza was to die for.  It even tasted sinful.

Every bite flavored with crispy bacon, sun-dried tomatoes, salty Pecorino-Romano cheese and cremini mushrooms sautéed in bacon grease.  Oh ma gah….it was delicious.

Still not convinced?  I guess you’ll just have to try it for yourself.  Don’t be a naysayer!

When the Wild Boar does see this, he is going to think I lost my mind putting a brussel sprout on a pizza.  He’s going to have to get over it because I will be making this again.

Don’t be afraid…give it a whirl.

Here’s what you will need:  Pizza dough, Pecorino-Romano cheese, bacon, sun-dried tomatoes, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, garlic, cremini mushrooms, extra-virgin olive oil, kosher salt and pepper.

Prepare your brussel sprouts by halving them lengthwise.  Cauliflower should be broken down into small, bite-sized florets.  Cook the brussel sprouts and cauliflower in a pot of boiling, salted water for 2 minutes.  Drain in a colander, rinsing with cold water until they are cool.

In a skillet cook 1/2 pound bacon until almost crispy.  Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.  In the bacon grease, sauté sliced mushrooms until cooked.

Grease a baking sheet and place pizza dough on top, pressing and stretching the dough to the edges of the pan.  Sprinkle the dough with 1 cup of the Pecorino-Romano cheese.  Place in the bottom third of a 500 degree oven.  Bake for 5 minutes.

While the crust is baking, transfer the brussel sprouts, cauliflower, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic and mushrooms to a large bowl.  Toss with 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.

Spoon the veggie mixture evenly over the dough and strategically place the bacon on the top.  Sprinkle with the remaining cup of Pecorino-Romano cheese.  Bake the pizza another 10-12 minutes or until the crust is golden-brown and the cheese is bubbling away.  Let sit 5 minutes before slicing.

I promise you it’s delicious.

Bacon in every bite.

I’m sure the Wild Boar has now passed out.  Really hunna, brussel sprouts won’t kill you.

Bacon-Veggie Pizza

16 ounces pizza dough, homemade or store-bought
2 cups Pecorino-Romano cheese, grated, divided
1/2 pound thick-sliced bacon
3 cups cauliflower, cut into small florets
1 cup brussel sprouts, cut lengthwise
6 cremini mushrooms or other mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste

One Year Ago Today:  Some Mysteries in My Universe

1. no sauce? if you used a sauce, would you use a white sauce probably?

I would love this. I know roasted veggies on a pizza would be so good and these would be perfect for me actually! Every bite with all that stuff, I love it.

3. I promise I will not pass out. This looks so delish.

4. Hmmm, since I’m not a big veggie fan I would probably not enjoy it as much, but it is awful purtee to look at. I love the bright colors. My sister on the other hand would freak over it. I will print it off and give to her-the more veggies the better is her motto :)

5. Shawn 5

Oh, I love veggie pizza! I think it looks scrumptious.

6. Hilary 6

Hi Cathy .. looks delicious and I love brussel sprouts .. I’m not so keen on pizza base … but the mix would be good on its own ..

Thanks – Hilary Melton-Butcher
    Positive Letters

7. Mmm…this looks yummy…exceopt for the one ingredient most folks like on a pizza…mushrooms…sigh. Picky, me. I may try making this next time I have the house to myself…so sometime in 2082 I’ll be writing you to exclaim over how lovely it is!

Shade and Sweetwater,
    K

8. Debbie 8

I’m not a fan of brussel sprouts but let me just say your pizza looks fabulous!!!! Wow!! So colorful….

Grumpy would have thought I had lost my mind too. Well, he already think’s that….but I think he’s just not adventureous enough! I think it looks awesome and would try it in a heartbeat!

10. melissa 10

On one hand I want to say ewwwww. But than as I keep looking at it, it looks really good. My husband doesn’t like pizza (yeah, I know, strange) but he would really like this.

11. This would be a great way to get my daughter to eat her veggies!

12. Oh, Cathy, that looks fabulous! “Bacon in every bite” and mushrooms would convince my husband to give it a try. I only recently learned to eat Brussels sprouts. (Turns out that roasted or sautéed provides the best taste … no wonder I didn’t like them before. This would be the equivalent of roasting them for flavor.) I’ll be trying this soon gluten free, Cathy. I’ll probably make it for our support group, too. For our dairy-free folks, I might use a little sauce and skip the cheese. Anyway, yum!

Shirley

Oh Wow! That is all kinds of good going on! And yes, Mr. Snoots would freak out as well. Cauliflower on a pizza? He’d have a stroke! I, on the other hand, would be in Pizza Heaven…

14. ntsc 14

My wife doesn’t like brussel sprouts, although she serves them once in a while as I do and they are one of the fixed items on the Thanksgiving menu.

However I’m certain we can find a good substitute, celery perhaps. I’ve a bunch of savory bacon from Charcuterie in the freezer, perhaps the week after next.

Also cooking this over a grill with a little smoke might be good too.

15. I am down with ALMOST all of it with the exception of the b’sprouts. Nope, just can’t do it. But the rest…Mmmmm.

16. Melynda 16

YUM!!!!! I love stuff like this. A little different is usually wonderful.

17. My husband would leave the house if he saw this……but that bacon could disguise the vegetables, and maybe he wouldn’t notice!
    Looks good to me Cath!

18. Steph 18

Everything looks so colourful! I have to try adding cauliflower and brussel sprouts to my pizza next time.

19. Evelyn 19

You always have the best recipes on the web:)

20. Debbie 20

I love everything one your pizza and I have a friend you would DIE for it, so I’m going to make it for her birthday dinner.
    Love wataching your vineyard progress!

21. kiki 21

Sorry, I’d have to go with the Wild Boar freak out on this one.
    My pizzas last night were: Greek w/feta, shrimp, red onions,black olives & tomato, Caprese with Tomato, Basil, Mozzarella, BBQ with chicken, red onions, cheddar cheese & BBQ sauce & HP’s favorite with a Goat Cheese Alfredo, shrimp & caramelized onion

22. Katrina 22

I LOOOVVEEE veggies on a pizza, especially different veggies. I did a sweet potato, asparagus, spinach pizza that was SOOO good recently.

23. I LOVE Brussels sprouts and cauliflower–and of course bacon. I will definitely try this–though I think I’ll shortcut and use the storebought crust…

24. Trisha 24

Now THAT is a pizza! Wow! A combination I would have never thought about making but it all looks so . . . right!

Oh yeah! Now this is perfection! Bacon makes everything better. But I love that you were not stingy with da cheese man!

26. Maureen 26

I would freak out to – because it looks so FREAKING delicious! Will be giving this a try the next time we have pizza night!

Take the mushrooms off and I’d eat it! Even with the brussel sprouts it looks good. 😉

28. kd (small caps) 28

AND…your recipe for pizza dough is???? Looks delish, but I sure would like to start w/homemade dough!
    thanks,

29. I remember the first time I saw someone eat broccoli on a pizza. I thought they were completely nuts, that is, until I tried it. This pizza looks so good!

30. No need to convince me. I think it all looks and sounds mouthwatering.

31. Bacon makes everything good even brussel sprouts.

32. imom 32

“Oh ma gah” is right! This pizza looks amazing.

33. Julie 33

I’d definitely have to lose the brussel sprouts, then put enough bacon to camoflage the cauliflower, but otherwise, it looks awesome!

34. krysta 34

my husband would freak out too but it would mean more for me… does the crust hold up well with all the heavy veggies on top?

35. elra 35

No kidding, this pizza is to die for. Just the opposite, I think my husband will love it!
    Happy week end Cathy!
    Elra

36. ntsc 36

Today is the first it has been both warm enough and dry enough to work in the garden. I’ve asparagus coming in, wonder how that would work?

37. Marcy 37

Not sure about it – but I’ll take your word for it! my hubby says it looks yummy though!

38. Jordan 38

That looks incredibly yummy. I have just recently started to like brussel sprouts, so it looks intriguing…

39. Devon 39

Delicious! Last night I put brussels sprouts on my pizza too. Delicious.

40. Sara 40

This looks so good! I’ve never done brussels sprouts on pizza, but I have done broccoli, and once had a cabbage pizza at a restaurant. So I see how the flavors would work well together.

41. Elyse 41

OH MY GAH. This pizza looks incredible. I’m all for putting cauliflower and brussel sprouts on a pizza. Especially when there’s great cheese and bacon involved. Oh no, I would never nay-say this delightful creation. In fact, I would be more than happy to eat slices upon slices of this pizza! Delicious!

42. ntsc 42

No brussel sprouts but week after next.

43. Lori E 43

I love cauliflower, I love brussel sprouts,I love creminis, I love bacon, I love cheese, I love the crust…do you see where I’m going with this?

44. Kayola 44

Seriously….some times I just wish I could climb through my computer and come over and eat with you….everything ALWAYS looks so delish! I could almost smell the bacon frying….yummmmmmmmmmm!

well of course it’s delicious, it has bacon!

46. Donna 46

This pizza is terrific, Cathy. I LOVE brussels sprouts and with the bacon, cauliflower, how special is this. It really looks fantastic.

47. Melissa 47

Oh I’m having heart palpitations alright. *DROOL* GIMME. Gimme gimme gimme.

48. LilSis 48

Wow! I’ve had a lot of veggie pizzas, but never with cauliflower or brussel sprouts! My hubby wouldn’t be too crazy about the idea, either. He’s from Chicago so his idea of a pizza involves loads of sausage and extra, extra cheese, but I’d definitely make this for myself!

49. I bet it was delicious. One of my favorite pizzas is spinach, tomato and mushroom. uummmm.

i couldn’t possibly fear this–it’s a pizza…with bacon! bacon automatically makes the atypical veggie toppings perfectly acceptable. :)

51. Oh yum! I love brussels sprouts! So does my 5 year old, crazy right?! I have to try this!

52. Oh my, I will freak out if I see a pizza like this but my hubs would looovee it.

53. gerriet 53

It’s the end of the day and all pics look so delicious… I am really fond of cooking. Not long ago have found a good cookery book now cannot find time for cooking itself ( Spend all my spare time with my 6months-old daughter

54. Reading good blogs enable me to connect to other people and learn something new about their experiences. Thanks for posting this.