Cream of Roasted Tomato Soup with Parsley Croutons

Last week we had an unusual amount of heavy rain here in Northern California.  So when it’s stormy outside there is nothing more satisfying than a bowl of homemade Cream of Roasted Tomato Soup with Parsley Croûtons and a grilled cheese sandwich hanging off the side of the plate.  Tomato soup and grilled cheese go together as if they are a mating pair; one without the other is just wrong.

This meal always hits the spot and conjurs up great childhood memories of the canned Campbell’s version.  Of course homemade is soooo much better.  No comparison.

Yesterday it was back to business as usual in the weather department…perpetually sunny skies and warm air…I wore short sleeves and flip flops.  I did wear corduroy pants to keep with Winter’s theme but really, shorts would have been an acceptable choice.

This version of tomato soup is made from lots of fresh veggies which is how I like it.  A garden taste in every bite.

Let’s make it together…

Here’s what you will need for the soup:  Tomatoes, olive oil, shallots, carrot, fennel bulb, unsalted butter, chicken stock, fresh tarragon, fresh parsley, salt, pepper and heavy cream.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Cut tomatoes in half, seed them and coat with olive oil.  Place tomatoes in a shallow baking dish and bake for 30 minutes, turning every 10 minutes, until the skins begin to darken and blister.

Remove from the oven and let cool.  Remove the skins and reserve pulp and all the juices.

Coarsely chop 8 shallots, 1 carrot and 1 fennel bulb.  Melt 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.  Sauté the vegetables until they are very soft.

Add 2 cups chicken stock and 6 sprigs of both fresh parsley and fresh tarragon.  Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.

While this is cooking make the croûtons.

For the croûtons you will need:  Sliced baguette, olive oil, garlic, Teleme cheese (or Parmesan) and fresh parsley.

Lower the oven temperature to 400 degrees.  Slice the bread into 12 thin slices, brushing each side generously with olive oil and place on a baking sheet.  Rub one side of the bread with garlic and place a dollop of Teleme cheese or a sprinkle of Parmesan on top.  Sprinkle with parsley and bake until brown.

Of course while the soup was simmering and the croûtons were baking, I had to fry up one of these babies.  Sourdough bread slathered with Teleme cheese and sliced tomato.

Once the soup is done simmering, remove the herb sprigs and add the reserved tomato pulp and reserved tomato juices.  Puree the soup in several batches in a blender.  I tried using an immersion blender but it was unable to get the soup to the proper consistency.

Return soup to the pan and stir in 1 cup of heavy cream, heating until warm.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Keep warm over low heat.

Ladle soup into warm bowls and float parsley croûtons on top of each bowl.

When you have this to eat, who cares if it’s raining or snowing.  Well, I guess that’s easy for me to say since it’s sunny here.

Cream of Roasted Tomato Soup with Parsley Croûtons
Adapted from Tomatoes, A Country Garden Cookbook

2 pounds large ripe tomatoes
Olive oil to coat tomatoes
8 shallots
1 small carrot
1 small fennel bulb
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
6 sprigs fresh tarragon
6 sprigs fresh parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 cup heavy cream

Parsley Croûtons:
12 thin slices baguette
Olive oil to generously coat both sides of each piece of baguette
3 cloves garlic, cut in half
Teleme cheese (or Parmesan)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Coarsely chop shallots, carrot and fennel bulb.  Melt butter in a heavy pot over medium heat.  Sauté the vegetables until they are very soft.

Add chicken stock and sprigs of both fresh parsley and fresh tarragon.  Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.

While this is cooking make the croûtons.

Once the soup is done simmering, remove the herb sprigs and add the reserved tomato pulp and tomato juices.  Puree the soup in several batches in a blender.  I tried using an immersion blender but it was unable to get the soup to the proper consistency.

Return soup to the pan and stir in heavy cream, heating until warm.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Keep warm over low heat until ready to serve.

Ladle soup into warm bowls and float parsley croûtons on top of each bowl.

What I Was Bogging About One Year Ago Today:  Familiarity Breeds Contentment

1. Hilary 1

Looks delicious .. and absolutely the right thing for a wet day ..

Don’t you need the rain? We’ve got lots here!

Have sunny days .. & wet nights!

Hilary: Be Positive Be Happy

2. That looks good!
    We are in for some cold rainy days this week & I love soup!

3. Donald 3

This the old stand by; tomato soup and grilled cheese. I love the roasted tomato soup though, but then again, I love roasted anything.

Oy that looks delicious.
    Fennel bulb….mmmm. I will have to keep my eyes peeled for where that is in the produce sections.

5. I like the soup but I’m in love with the crotouns!

6. Lori 6

It was raining here too this weekend…could have used this delicious looking soup!

7. Best cold/rainy weather meal. We have this combo all the time. Never had roasted tomato soup though – going to have to try that one!

8. Oh My Word! That has got to be the most gorgeous tomato soup ever and that sandwich!! I wish I could just reach through the darned screen!

One of my all-time favorite comfort foods: grilled cheese and tomato soup. This looks fantastic, Cathy!

10. Shawn 10

Oh, that looks sooooo good. The family loves grilled cheese and tomato soup and I can’t wait to try this homemade version. Now if only I can find a fennel bulb…my town is only 600 people ya know, rarely do we even have shallots!

11. Wow, the grilled cheese & soup I made last night looks like dirt compared to this, LOL!

Definitely no comparison to the canned tomato soup that my mother used to make!! What a superb combination of ingredients, to make the most delicious cream of tomato soup I have ever eaten!! We have a lot of damp cool days along the coast where I live also, and there is nothing like a bowl of hot soup to comfort me body and soul! Thanks for the recipe and your photos are just great.

13. ntsc 13

I’ve never been able to deal with either cooked tomatoes or cooked cheese. My wife has pointed out that since I like pizza I am not entirely consitent. I also don’t like pasta.

About the third year of our life together my brother’s SO served pasta, two different spagetti’s, for dinner and out of politeness I ate it. When I took seconds on both, including the one with tomato sauce, she realized that there was chink in my armor.
    A few questions later my brother had told her that our mother’s recipe for tomato sauce involved a bottle of catsup and the pasta was boiled for 30 minutes by the clock. Turns out the catsup is a Scandnavian thing, but we never did figure where the boiling time came from.

She can now put things like lasagna on the table.

link to blog.charcuteire.com as example.

Neither the pasta nor the cheese is homemade in this case, although she has done both, every thing else is.

14. I bet this hit the spot in soooo many ways.

15. Marlene 15

My favorite meal in the whole wide world…

16. I don’t need to tell you how delicious this sounds Cathy.

17. Claire 17

You know, I don’t like tomatoes or even tomato soup…but after reading this recipe & seeing the photos, I just might like this one! Too bad you can’t send me a cup. =)

18. I love the deep golden color of this soup! Sounds so delicious! And the sandwich looks really yummy too!

19. You elevate that humble tomato soup to a whole new level. I want to dig right in.

20. Melynda 20

Yum, tomato soup. Yours is the first comment about an immersion blender that matches my experiences!

21. I love grilled cheese with tomato sandwiches. I think I might make myself one for lunch!

22. It was all I could do to look… Someday I’ll get counseling for my tomator aversion! I’m sure this is a fabulous soup!

23. Louise 23

Love, love all those veggies in the soup! And who can resist that gooey cheese? Oh my!

24. imom 24

Oh man! I really wish I could eat that. I’m completely jealous of your short sleeve and flip flop weather!

Gorgeous soup! Just the thing for a rainy day:)

26. Medena 26

I made a similar soup recently,with grilled cheese croutons, so I know how delicious it is!
    Flip flops??? I don’t even have to buy those here! You are soooo lucky, I am so sick of the winter, and literally have a cold for a third week now!

27. That looks perfect for the weather we have right now – cold, damp and rainy.

28. LilSis 28

It’s still cool at night here in Southern California, too, which always gets me in the mood to make soup. Thanks for this recipe! You’re right, tomato soup and a great grilled cheese go hand in hand.

What I wouldn’t do for a bowl of this as it is snowing outside. I might make it for dinner.

What wine would you serve with this, because we have to have wine!

30. Mary 30

This has to be one of the prettiest tomato
    soups I’ve seen. Grilled cheese and tomato soup should grow on a vine together in the garden of some mad scientist. This is a really nice recipe.

Tomato soup has to be one of my favorites. I also really enjoy a good grilled cheese with tomato, on whole wheat or rye!

32. Lo! 32

Mmm. Nothing like homemade tomato soup — especially when it’s made with roasted tomatoes. So sweet and velvety!

33. You can’t get much better than grilled cheese and tomato soup, and homemade is even better. Since it snowed last night here we are still very much in soup season.

34. OMG … two of my favorites together. I just gave this two thumbs up and will be making it VERY soon.

I don’t remember the last time Ron made me one of his famous grilled cheese sandwiches.

35. elra 35

wow, wow, wow, Cathy!
    That look really delicious. Never made tomato soup, seems like good recipe to follow. Love that sandwich too.
    Cheers,
    elra

36. Julie 36

Yum…I’d probably scarf down all the croutons before the soup ever got finished!

37. Looks amazing!

As an aside, your ability to not only style the food so that it photographs amazingly well, but your food photography alone is really quite brilliant!

38. Biz 38

OMG, I love tomato soup! I had the most amazing bisque last night. I will definitely try this once the prices of tomatoes goes down – they wanted $3.99 a pound for vine ripened tomatoes!

The addition of fennel is also intriguing me!

Happy Monday – hope you had a good weekend!

39. That looks and sounds so delicious that I drooled just a tiny bit when I first saw the picture.

Are you going to have a restaurant at your vineyard? :)

I’ve never been a big tomato soup fan, but that looks much better than what I’ve had in the past. I’ll have to give it a shot. :)

41. This was my most favorite soup to order while in Europe. Love It! Yours looks fantastic. Funny I am roasting tomatoes now as I am typing this. I am making them for my salad for dinner tonight. The other night I roasted some at a very high heat and they got a nice char on them. Wow fantastic! It improves the taste of these winter tomatoes we are still getting.

Oh Cathy, it’s snowing here in Oregon today and this would be the perfect dinner for me. I love that you used fennel in the soup. YUM!

43. Drooling here. What a beautiful lunch.

44. I’ve never made tomato soup from scratch before–it looks soooo good!!

45. The soup looks delicious… but I really love that little sammie!!

you know my mind went to the gutter when I saw the title of your post on google reader? bad, I know.
    But the soup is hot and steamy right? lol

47. Seriously, are you a food stylist? I have never seen such perfect, red tomatoes in my life.

48. kayola 48

That looks like really good comfort food….and there is a small “chill” in the air…LOL…that looks like a great dinner for tonight with the cooler temps…I ♥ SOUP and SANDWICHES!

49. nina 49

I am so ready for a comfort meal like this….I think I have had enough salads now…..The grilled sandwiches have me on the edge of my chair!

50. Lord. Have. Mercy.

51. KathyB. 51

It is snowing outside and very cold. This is what I am fixing for dinner tonight, shoulda had it for lunch yesterday afternoon after cleaning out goat and sheep pens!It just looks like it will hit the spot.Thanks!

52. Linda 52

I make something very similar to this … and it’s YUM! I get cranky if I don’t make soup every so often. It’s soul warming.

Ew! Ew! Ew! Tomatoes everywhere! Ew!

54. Lynda 54

This looks fabulous! Way better than the canned soup! I’m going to try this in a couple of days when the temperature dips again.

55. Jordan 55

This looks good. I’ve never really been a fan of the bright red, too sour tomato soup. But this looks more approachable. Actually it looks like some gazpacho I had the other day. Might have to try it. :)

56. I am such a huge fan of tomato soup and grilled cheese, but, sadly, no one else in my family likes tomato soup. This upscale tomato soup might be just the ticket for one of our support group meetings though … before it warms up. I found a new gluten-free bread that I like that would work well for the croutons and grilled cheese aspect. (Although I am not making grilled cheese for the meeting … a short order cook I am not. LOL)

Thanks,
    Shirley

57. Wow- that just looks perfect! I’m definitely going to add that to my list of soups! Thanks for the awesome step by step instructions! (Also- I don’t know how you do this fancy “commenting” system. I guess I just need to get more computer/techno savvy. I’ll try to figure it out.) :)

58. Definitely going to try this! Thank you. Also have never heard of Teleme cheese, but I am so intrigued that I plan to see if our local Whole Foods carries it.

59. Donalyn 59

Fabulous squared – yummy!

60. I am drooling! I love cream of tomato soup, but only homemade. My previous recipe was made in the crockpot and I’ve always enjoyed it, but I can’t wait to try this version!

61. who didn’t have grilled cheese and tomato soup as a child? it was the only thing that would make me feel better when i was sick. it was the only thing that would warm me up during a snow day after sledding. i still love it but, sadly, don’t eat it as much anymore. love that yours was creamy.

62. Leslie 62

Delish Cathy, Delish!

63. Sara 63

Now that is a gorgeous looking soup! Would you believe that I’ve never made tomato soup before?

64. Dee 64

It looks waaay better than Campbell’s for sure! And we’re having the perfect bleah weather for it, too. It’s been raining all manner of pets here!

I think Perfect Marinara and Perfect Cheesecake need to go on the list. Do you have a Go To recipe to share?

65. krysta 65

yea i get to comment, i had problems all day.

it must have been the weather because i made lots of soup last week too. i love this combo and only you could glam it up.

66. Rebel 66

Oh my! I’m gonna have to try this. You always have the best recipes! It’s gonna be cold here the next couple of days so this is gonna be good for supper one night. Thanks

67. kim 67

Can’t wait to try this recipe. I still love the Campbell’s version with grilled cheese on a rainy day but this looks so much better!

68. Elyse 68

It was a horribly rainy week in N.Cal. last week, wasn’t it?! I wish I had had your soup and sandwich to combat the nasty weather. These look AMAZING. Plus, you know these two were born to be together!

69. The soup is gorgeous, looks so smooth and creamy! Wonderful flavours.

70. This looks soooo good! I love soup and grilled cheese anytime! I am so hungry right now!

71. Lisa 71

How fortuitous! I have had grilled cheese on my mind all day today. I just bought some of Cahill’s Irish Porter Cheddar and am wondering how to do it justice. I think it would be wonderful with your gorgeous soup.

72. We’ll have to add cream to our next soup dish. Just tastes better!

73. Very nice. It’s a classic duo with a very elegant touch. Now I”m just going to have to have a grilled cheese with tomato tomorrow for lunch.

74. BTW, where do you get the DeCecco olive oil? I love DeCecco pasta (it’s the best for store bought pasta), but I’ve not seen DeCecco olive oil?

Oh gee, I have such a *thing* for soup. I also have a *thing* for roasted tomatoes. Um, I fear I would also have a *thing* for this sandwich, and well I might as well go all the way and have a *thing* for those parsley coutons, too. *happy sigh*

76. This is the best cream of tomato soup I have ever seen! Love the croutons!

77. Meg 77

I’ve become obsessed with soup lately and will add this to my list of recipes!! Yum yum yum.