Ranch Mashed Potatoes

It’s not ice cream.  And if you think you can’t serve mashed potatoes in a martini glass…you’re wrong.

I love these mashed potatoes.  They have all the flavors of a fattening ranch dressing, but without all the added calories and fat.  I guess that’s why they are called Ranch Mashed Potatoes.

They are kind of pretty too, which is why I scooped them out with an ice cream scoop and served them in martini glasses and sundae dishes.

This is also my second entry into this month’s Potato Ho Down hosted by me on Wednesday, February 18.  Thanks for all your entries so far.

Let’s mash these up shall we…

This is what you will need:  Red potatoes, sour cream, green onions, low-fat buttermilk, butter, salt, dried basil, garlic powder, fresh ground pepper and dried dill.  Ingredients not shown:  Dried oregano.

Place 13 cups (about 4 pounds) of cubed, red potatoes in a Dutch oven.  Cover with water and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender; drain.

Place potato in a large bowl.  Add 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup green onions, 1/4 cup buttermilk, 3 Tablespoons butter, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 3/4 teaspoon dried basil, 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper and 1/4 teaspoon dried dill.  Mash with a potato masher to desired consistency.

I like mine a bit rustic looking.

These are very yummy by the way.

Ranch Mashed Potatoes
Adapted from Cooking Light

13 cups cubed red potato (about 4 pounds)
1/2 cup reduced-fat or regular fat sour cream
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
3 Tablespoons butter, softened
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon dried basil
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried dill

Place potatoes in a Dutch oven.  Cover with water and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender; drain.

Place potato in a large bowl.  Add sour cream, green onions, buttermilk, butter, salt, dried basil, dried oregano, garlic powder, pepper and dried dill.  Mash with a potato masher to desired consistency.

What I Was Cooking Up One Year Ago Today:  Seriously, the Easiest, Most Foolproof, Best Tasting Brisket Ever! You can do this…no excuses!

1. Jamie 1

These mashed potatoes look so fabulous. Really tasty with everything added in and really beautiful, especially served so elegantly like this!

2. Ranch Mashers are my heart and soul…thank you for this healthier than mine version. Cute idea on the serving dish! You are always so creative.

Even though it’s 6:47 AM, I would eat these NOW – they look so good.

4. I make them like this but have not ever used Dill. Yum. I’m going to try these with dinner this afternoon.
    How pretty in the glasses. I’d probably get laughed out of the room the first time I served them like that.
    Do you eat together as a family everyday? (When your husbands home?) And do your boys like what you prepare or are they picky? Am I asking too much personal info? If so just ignore me….

5. ADORE the presentation. Looks beautiful!! I have to get to a recipe for your showdown!

6. Shawn 6

Looks awesome Cathy! I think I just might have to make these tonight! I’m a total potato ho and these are all dressed up! Very nice.

7. I am all over this! Printing!

8. katie 8

We had our valentine’s steaks over creamed spinach but now I am kind of wishing mashed potatoes had made the menu.

Yum! They are pretty AND I’m sure they are delish!

10. marcy 10

those look amazing. I love ranch and I love taters , so why not mix the two together!

11. Looks delicious and I love the coarse mash. Love your presentation. A friend and I went wine tasting yesterday. It was such a beautiful day so all the tasting rooms were busy. Lots of fun.

12. Be still my ever beating cholesterol laden heart.

I love potatoes like no other.

*sigh*

And they’re so pretty. I wonder if the family would mind if I made these for breakfast?

Must make this. Soon.

13. Katrina 13

These look awesome. Will try that sometime for sure.

14. Sara 14

These look amazing, what a great presentation!

15. Laurie 15

Cathy, these potatoes look SO yummy – and my teenage daughter puts ranch dressing on everything, even pizza, so she would love these.

Love the little scallion heart!!!

I’m also enjoying the “what was I cooking last year” feature. It allows readers like me to easily catch up on old posts and read your story from the beginning.

16. OK, the potatoes are cute but holy crap, I just read down a post or two and you’ve only been on for a year! Happy Success! You do this all so well!

17. Lisa 17

These look great especially in the glasses!

18. Yummy!

19. What a great presentation of the “lowly” potato. Being a no-wheat girl, I love potatoes in all forms and this version looks wonderful. I may try a little yogurt in place of the sour cream. Thanks for the inspiration and happy blog birthday!
    Melissa

20. That is very similar to how I make mine except mine, don’t look nearly as pretty. I need to go to the $ store apparently. I’m trying very hard to treat my new laptop nice and here you have me wanting to lick the screen. darn you.

21. tipper 21

Looks YUM! And I love love the presentation!

22. MsMVNJ 22

Yummy! I’m going to have to try these – the texture, the presentation – everything looks fabulous!

Cathy what a fabulous presentation. I would love to eat my mashed taters this way! Pretty photos too. Your photos always rock. When can we have a tutorial on how to take good photos from you?

24. I almost did something similar last night when I was wrestling with my twice baked potatoes. I didn’t think I’d get them back in the skins. I thought I could serve them up in a dish with a few toppings!
    I did eventually get them back in the skins, but they weren’t as pretty as this!

25. What a beautiful presentation!

26. Cath,
    You should’ve been a food stylist when you grew up!

27. awww what lovely presentation! You are amazing with food styling!

28. Amber 28

I love your absolutely unmessy beautiful bowl that you mash them in. You are amazing, tee hee. Also in the last photo the top middle green onion looks like a heart, how perfect. I love potatoes, these sound wonderful.

29. Julie 29

They look divine. I don’t have martini glasses, so I’ll have to eat them straigt out of the pot.

30. vada 30

You must have been at the same Neiman Marcus party I attended last year, here in Houston…First time I had seen mashed potatoes in martini glasses…But than Neiman does things in a big way and have great parties..Thanks for a better way of doing the potatoes, taste wise…

31. Another great-looking dish! As I commented to Alosha, what you ladies prepare, looks so much better than the canned soup I usually have.

32. This recipe is nothing but goodness. :)

33. These look fantastic! And I say the martini glass only enhances their beauty;)

34. elra 34

Whoaaa, they do look like ice cream, how creative!
    I’ll post mine on Monday, just need a tad of editing.
    Btw, I made the banana cake that you posted on Feb 11 (title: she said it was the best). You were right!!!!! I can tell you my son and my husband hate banana bread or cake, but not this one. We ate them all in just 30 minutes (I half the recipe). My son’s girl friend is here for the valentine’s. And she said said, it was the best banana bread ever! My husband had 2 slices (surprise me), the rest of us eat more than that. So, thank you for the great banana bread my dear!
    Xoxo,
    Elra

35. Beautiful presentation, Cathy – and the mashed potato recipw sounds VERY good ! What an elegant and unique way to serve it – wonderful creativity of yours again :)

Loving Annie

36. kiki 36

mmmm sour cream & buttermilk. Yum.

I will try to post my Gnocchi tomorrow or Tuesday!

37. imom 37

Those ranch mashers look so pretty. They look fancy, but the recipe is so easy!

38. With your love of potatoes, I knew the moment I saw the picture that’s what they were. LOL What a beautiful presentation! I love regular mashed potatoes … these would be awesome! BTW, love the green onion “heart.”

Shirley

39. I have made something similar and can attest to the fact that they sure are good.

40. Cheryl 40

Mashed potatoes. Sour cream. Sour. Mash.
    BELONGS in a martini glass! 😉

41. Suzanne 41

I love those kind of potatoes… and I;m sure DH will too. I also checked out your brisket recipe… I have guests coming in a couple of weeks, I may have to make this for them and hope I have some leftovers!

~Suzanne @

42. Linda 42

Wowie … those potatoes have I LOVE YOU written all over them! I could seriously eat potatoes at every meal. And cheese. And chocolate. Yup.

43. Melissa 43

Mashed is probably my least favorite kind of potato but I have to admit these look great Cathy. LOVE that you scooped them into the glasses.

Mashed potatoes are one of those foods that I can’t photograph well. You, on the other hand, have quite the nack for it!

45. Mmmm–those look great and I love the way you served them!

46. Nicole 46

Darling! I knew it was potatoes. I love things served in a martini glass.

47. Reeni 47

They look soooooo good!! I’m sitting here trying to figure out what to eat for dinner and these are calling my name!

Oh. Yeah. A potato ho’s wet dream. I can hardly wait to try this recipe! And, I will definitely serve it up in champagne/sherbet glasses. Thank you!

49. Yup, I definitely thought this was ice cream on first glance! Very delicious looking mashed potatoes – probably better for me to eat these anyway :-)

50. April 50

When my husband’s cousin got married, they had a mashed potato bar where potatoes were served in martini glasses and all the toppings were set out so you could top your potato sundae with whatever you wanted. It was a big hit!

51. Sounds fantastic Cathy! I love using buttermilk in mashed potatoes. You get the creamy flavour with just a bit of tartness without all the fat.

Ha! Awesome. Those look delicious, I love mashed potatoes. I need to get a scoop, they are useful for so many things.

Hm, you know what would be good? Taking one of those scoops, dropping it onto a hot skillet, squishing it flat and frying it.

53. Biz 53

I need to get a potato masher!! Those look amazing!

I love red potatoes too.

54. I never thought a potato could be beautiful!!! Wow!!!

55. Yep, I had mashed spuds for dinner on Valentine’s day. Forgo(ed?) for(went?) the turkey and just ate the spuds. I let the hubby eat the turkey but I hoarded all the spuds. The co-workers were amazed at how much of the container I was able to put away. Wimps.

56. Chou 56

I love the martini glasses. They dress up the potato and give it the glamour it deserves.

57. cute! looks delish.

I love flavourful mash with lots of herbs. I often add garlic cream cheese. naughty, I know.

58. Beautiful way to serve these potatoes. I love the idea.

59. These are definitely a keeper — I’d probably pass on the rest of the meal. Just a big bowl of these. Definitely.

60. Lisa D 60

Wow! These look good! There’s little I love more in life than mashed potatoes.

well, i wasn’t completely convinced that it was ice cream, but i knew immediately that whatever it was would be better off in my belly. :)

62. Aww, the love you put into these is apparent by the heart shaped green onion atop the highest scoop, sigh. These look fabulous!

Those look awesome–and I love that you served them in martini glasses. :) next time I have a plating dilemma I am thinking of this!

64. These pictures are pure torture I tell you! I love potatoes with the works. I will have to remember the buttermilk next time. Thanks for sharing!

65. Rachel 65

Those look so good. I actually had a mashed potato bar at my wedding and we served them in martini glasses.

66. Medena 66

I’m a sucker for unusual, love it!
    I always use sour cream in mashed potatoes; this recipe is delish!

67. Jude 67

Oh I’ve served potatoes in martini glasses for that pseudo sophisticated touch. Doesn’t get any ooh and aahs, though. Just giggles.

68. kayola 68

oh wow…it looks beautiful and yummy…and boy oh boy did I ever ♥ my weekend in California this last weekend but missed your posts..hope you had a great weekend!

69. Great way to serve mashed taters at a party too!!!

These look so good. Especially since I just finished eating some potatoes and am craving more!
    Alas, though I did make a dish for this months ho, I didn’t get it up on the blog so I’ll have to save it for next month.

71. Well! How original! I would love a cupful of these, please. Simple and tasty looking – perfect!

72. NOm NOM NOM! I adore you and your food. I think you are my favorite foodie hands down. link to blissfullydomestic.com
    Thank you!!!

73. So that’s ridiculous factor #1. Number two is the smoking. I’m not even going to get into it. Smoking is simultaneously the most idiotic and inconsiderate thing anyone could do, and the whole place was just full of idiotic, inconsiderate people who think that it’s a good idea. link to ghdhairstraightener-uk.net