Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting and Jelly

When I saw these, I knew Martha would not fail me.  I really don’t have a lot of will power when it comes to anything made with peanut butter.

This was pure comfort food.  Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting and Jelly were playing their siren song and I played right in to the temptation.

Honestly I was singing while making these because I knew how yummy they were going to be.  They didn’t disappoint as they were moist with a distinct peanut butter flavor…just what I wanted.

Martha had lot’s of what I like to call, “extreme baking instructions”, such as what to use as wet ingredients and folding and whipping instructions.  Sorry Martha, I like to live dangerously and did it my way.  They turned out great even though I mixed the peanut butter after the eggs.

Let’s make them together…

Here’s what you will need for the cupcakes:  All-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, unsalted butter, granulated sugar, natural-creamy peanut butter, eggs, sour cream and vanilla extract.

In a medium bowl combine 5.6 ounces (1-3/4 cups) all-purpose flour, 3/4 Tablespoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda.  Set aside.

In another bowl, combine 2/3 cup natural peanut butter and 1/2 cup sour cream.  These will be your wet ingredients.  Set aside.

Cream 6 ounces (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter and 1-1/3 cups granulated sugar until white and fluffy; about 3 minutes.  Add 3 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each .  Add dry ingredients to butter mixture in three additions on low speed, alternating with wet ingredients and ending with dry.  Scrape down sides of bowl as necessary.  Do not over mix.

Either line standard muffin tins with paper liners or spray muffin tins with cooking spray.  Divide batter among muffin cups filling each 2/3 full.  Bake in a 350 degree oven about 20 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.  Let cool on wire racks.

While cooling, make the frosting.

For the frosting you will need:  Cream cheese, confectioner’s sugar, table salt, creamy peanut butter and vanilla extract.  Ingredients not shown:  Heavy cream.

Beat 6 ounces cream cheese and 1/3 cup confectioner’s sugar with a mixer on medium speed until combined.  Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 cup creamy peanut butter, 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract; beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.

Once cupcakes are cool, frost tops with peanut butter frosting.  Place a dollop of jam in center of frosting.  Decorated cupcakes will keep, covered and refrigerated, for up to 2 days.

I used blackberry, apricot and strawberry jam…they were all good.

I think you need one.

1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup creamy peanut butter,
not natural
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup heavy cream

In a medium bowl combine all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.  Set aside.

In another bowl, combine natural peanut butter and sour cream.  These will be your wet ingredients.  Set aside.

Cream butter and granulated sugar until white and fluffy; about 3 minutes.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each .  Add dry ingredients to butter mixture in three additions on low speed, alternating with wet ingredients and ending with dry.  Scrape down sides of bowl as necessary.  Do not over mix.

While cooling, make the frosting.

Beat cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar with a mixer on medium speed until combined.  Add salt, peanut butter, heavy cream and vanilla extract; beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.

1. deeba 1

YUM…I’d love each one of them please. Yes, that’s the way to be Cathy, living life dangerously. Just takes the monotony away!! Way to go!

2. I do believe this is the baking project for me and #5 granddaughter next week, how could a peanut butter and jelly sandwich girl resist this?

3. Jamie 3

Yummy these are gorgeous. Can I make my milk chocolate, please?

4. Oh, I just adore those. They are the perfect first day of school treat. I think I may make that a tradition!!

5. anything with PB for me too!! I’m bookmarking this.

6. Ice cold milk here I come. Yummy!
    Seriously, where do you get half sticks of butter? I have never seen them before. Here in the midwest they come in a half cup stick.

7. All I can say is WOW!

8. ahhh – I’m obsessed with peanut butter and these would fit into my addition nicely! I love how your willing to live so dangerously – mixing the ingredients in a different order – you go girl!

If there were a rehab clinic for peanut butter, I would be admitted. I love it.

10. I think I might just need a big bowl of the frosting!!

11. marcy 11

Oh Cathy, your siren song is calling to me too… it is very powerful, those cupcakes – right in time for that special time for ladies when comfort food is all you want!!! guess I’ll be trying a new ricipe soon!

12. Add me to the list of PB lovers! It’s so funny to come here and see this recipe this morning, because I just took peanut butter cookies out of the oven! And, yes, I’ve already sampled one! LOL Great breakfast food. 😉 Can’t wait to convert these to gluten free and enjoy them (I have all the ingredients!)–thanks, Cathy!

Shirley

13. kayola 13

YUMMMMMM! Just the picture of the peanut butter and the sour cream got me…absolutely pass the milk…please!

14. Peanut Butter and Nutella all over the blogosphere today. This is killing me!!!!

15. I love peanut butter. Seriously. These look so unreal. I’m going to have to book mark these and make them when my ankle is better!

I think anybody would love these muffins. Especially the kids. I would call that a fancy PB&J! Again, your photos were fantastic.

17. There is always someone who will test fate during a national peanut butter recall!!! LOL Since I have only half a jar of PB…I have to until after this salmonella thing passes!!! Yummy though!!

18. imom 18

I just poured a steaming hot cup of coffee, sat down at the table and would like you to please pass a strawberry dolloped muffin please.

19. I’m with imom. I’ve got the coffee and I’m ready for a cupcake! I’m still getting requests for your chocolate/peanut butter/banana muffin from last year!

Yup, you’re right, waaaaay better! I am in love with you now.

21. Sheila 21

Peanut Butter and Jelly. . . I used to love having a sandwich packed for my lunch especially if it was smushed together; that made it all the better. But this looks much more sophisticated!

22. Chou 22

You’re right. I need one. Way to do things your way . . . :)

23. OMG–like a PB&J sandwich, but a cupcake?? I’m all over those!!

24. Now this is a peanut butter and jelly combination that I can really sink my choppers into!!! Looks so incredible!!

I think I need one, too. What time shall I arrive? I’ll even wash the dishes after!

26. Just came by to say hello, Cathy.

I like peanut butter, Skippy’s Creamy.

I think I need one or two. They look fantastic Cathy.

28. Woow adventurous recipe even with the peanut butter recall?!?!? Nevertheless…it looks like it is FABULOUS tasting. I love your site. :)

29. Rosa 29

These cupcakes look scrumptious! I’m addicted to peanut butter, so they would definitely be foe me!

Cheers,

Rosa

30. gwen 30

I’m wondering how you always know how much a measurement of flour weighs? I’d love to weigh my flour, especially because I’m at a high elevation.

Martha and I are tight, too. :)

pass the milk, and while you’re at it, pass a shovel (for the purpose of feeding myself copious frosting…). :)

32. Lisa 32

What a clever idea. That Martha! Too bad I am one of those strange people who doesn’t like jelly on my peanut butter. The peanut butter cupcake part and the frosting sound great though.

33. If you keep making me drool on my keyboard, I am not going to be able to come read you anymore, since it will be shorted out!

Awesome, it’s like a sandwich, so it’s healthy! Right? :)

Oh man, I’ve never had a peanut butter cupcake. Will have to remedy that soon. My kids and hubbyman would love these. While I’m not a frosting fan per se, even to me that frosting is yummilicious!

36. The perfect comfort food dessert. Just lovely.

37. How I wish I liked peanut butter…but lately, for some reason, just the smell alone makes me gag. And no, I’m NOT pregnant! I bet this is one that my daughter would enjoy. Especially if I left out the jelly and put some chocolate on top. *lol*

38. Helene 38

Martha’s dessert don’t fail me either. Funny because I do it my way too. Glad someone else is doing the same. I have to try these, they look yummy.

39. Leslie 39

you rebel you! Not following Marthas directions! They turnind out beautifully! Yes I will take one, or two or three!

40. Laurie 40

I think I need one too! Or maybe two! These look so good and my kids would LOVE them.

41. Ooh, I don’t dare make these because I will eat every last one! BTW-did I mention that I made the Burp Buffalo Chicken Dip? Well I did, and I ate it every day until it was gone…with only a little bit of help. I mean, what was I thinking making this huge tray of dip for just me and my hubs? I have been a very, very bad girl. But you know what? It was so friggin’ good that I’m not sure I feel too guilty…

My granddaughters and I will make these this weekend. Perfect!

I keep buying the small jars of peanut butter. I need to remind myself that one small jar does not lots of good peanut butter desserts make. Or at least buy two. Yeah, I gotta make these.

44. Oh, I definitely need one scrumptious cupcake like that with some extra jam on top! Beautiful!

45. Cathy, I just have to tell you: When I scrolled down to the first photo on this post, my daughter (Claire, age 3) said, “Oh, Momma! That looks Duh-LISH-us!!”

And, I agree! :)

46. Oh dear, I have a real weakness for peanut butter. And jelly. Love the frosting recipe.

47. Jess 47

That looks just fantastic!

48. You gotta love a good old-fashioned PBJ cupcake! Two of the best things finally get married. Yummy!

49. sharon 49

No joke…of course, I need one! After a long day at work, I think this would be the perfect remedy for all my stress.

Sour cream, cream cheese…I’m in heaven!! These sound fantastic!

51. No, 6 and one with a slice of banana on top. yummmy

52. Krista 52

I was just wondering if anyone else was drooling while reading this. These cupcakes look awesome! I’ll have to refrain from sending them to my daughter’s peanut free classroom (I accidentally forgot once!) However, I will be taking them to the next pitch in or cookout we attend. I definitely need an excuse to make (and eat) these!

53. Julie 53

You are right, I think I DO need one. Or two.

54. ELRA 54

miam…miammm, this look so delicious!
    Cheers,
    Elra

55. Shawn 55

Oh my, my husband is a peanut butter fanatic. I’m going to have to make these for him. I have a ‘Lemonade Award’ for you over at my blog. I’m thinking it should have been something like ‘Cold Glass of Milk’ award! lol

56. Debbie 56

Oh my, my, my do these EVER look good. I just love the jam on top. It gives them personality! Just delicious looking!!!

57. Oh my! If I wasn’t allergic to peanuts, I would be in looooove. There sound fantastic, even to someone who can’t eat them.

I see that despite salmonella we both have peanut butter on the brain! These look terrific–and your comment about extreme baking instructions made me laugh.

59. Nothing more comforting than pb & j. Hopefully that will appease your strife over our economic state!

60. Lisa 60

These look delish! My MIL looooves peanut butter, so I will make these for her next visit…mmmm, and 14 times before then just for us!!

61. Jules 61

Oh my, I am back on the blog wagon and I just gained 10 lbs! You are so good …You’re bad 😉

62. This is my favorite thing you’ve ever posted!

63. I know what you mean. I always fast-track my recipees and pretty much put everything into a bowl and go. And it seems they turn out pretty tasty regardless and me, I save half the work!

Look slobery deliciouc!

64. Jude 64

I really love your ingredient line-up shots :) I can only hope to have as neat a kitchen as yours.

I’m back again with a new comment … made this frosting today to go with my daughter’s gluten free cake. Oh. My. Lord. Outstanding. We used 1/2 peanut butter and 1/2 Nutella. It is sooooo good! I’m not a frosting lover and I loved it!

66. Bren 66

oh my goodness. this is evil right here. i have no biz even looking at these pictures, good LAWD!! :)

67. DD 67

YUM! I bet these are so good with a big glass of cold milk.

68. What if I FILLED my cupcakes with the jelly and just frosted over the top?! Would Martha hunt me down and punish me for straying from THE PLAN?! Is that breaking any cupcake laws??

69. Steph 69

I love how soft the cupcake looks inside! Nothing beats peanut butter.

70. Kristy 70

I made these last night and let me tell ya- You need a giant glass of milk! They are soooo good! I actually filled the cupcake with jelly and then frosted them. It works out great. I thought the frosting was better after a night in the fridge. :)

71. I bookmarked these in February and made them today for my spouse, a self-professed peanut butter fiend. He is a huge fan, especially of the frosting.