I’m Curious…

I always cook a big St. Patrick’s Day Meal.  Am I Irish?  No.  I’m Polish but the -ish has to count for something, right?

Anyways, I usually make some version of corned beef and attempt an Irish inspired dessert.  I pretend the leprechauns had a wild party at our house the night before by turning over some furniture, spreading Lucky Charms everywhere and dying the toilet water green.  The kids love it.  I hope they are not on to me yet.

We also have green milk and green mashed potatoes.  You know, all the basics.  Ha.

However, I have found so many people REALLY dislike corned beef.  I mean, really hate it.  I love it so much I can’t imagine not liking it.  What the heck is wrong with it?

So my question is, what do you people cook on St. Patty’s Day?

A regular meal?

Do you go out?

You could care less, it’s a minor holiday?

Any good traditions out there?

I need some new tricks in my bag.

What I Was Blogging About One Year Ago Today:  The Desensitization of Me

I love corned beef (and cabbage, and potatoes!). I can’t make it like my mom does though. Hers is best!

2. Philly 2

Not a big fan of corned beef . I make nothing special on St pat;s day, just another day. Maybe this year I will make a good irish stew.

3. I’m with you – it doesn’t get any better than corned Beef (and don’t even get me started on the rueben sandwiches you get to make the next day! )

4. So funny that you say this, because I was contemplating whether or not to make corned beef as well, even though we don’t really love it. I decided to make an Irish stew and serve Guinness, of course. St Pattie’s day is a real spectacle here in nyc, so there is definitely some celebrating to prepare for.

5. I always just go for trying to cook something green and kissing the Irish in my life. This year it will be green potatoes, but usually tons and tons of colcannon with a good corned beef sandwich!!

6. Well, being part-Irish, I have always tried to do something for St. Patrick’s Day. So I’ll either make Corned Beef or a Lamb Stew. I also make soda bread (without raisins) and cabbage. My dad (the one whom I get my Irish from) doesn’t like corned beef & cabbage. So the years he’s here it’s lamb stew.

7. corned bread and spuds. and beer Guiness
    We like to make something out of all holidays. The kids and I have fun seeing what other people do for holidays and trying different foods and traditions.

8. corned beef I have not had coffee yet.
    Sorry

9. I usually make corned beef accompanied by my grandmother’s stewed cabbage. Some years, it’s Irish lamb stew or shepard’s pie. I may be making something entirely different this year as inspired by our trip to Ireland this summer. I haven’t totally decided yet.

10. Marcy 10

I don’t go all out Irish, although I have a tad bit in me. My younger cousin was born on March 17, so if we do anything its wish her a happy birthday!

My mother insist that the corned beef has to be pressed with a book and the book has to be The Catholic Encyclopedia.
    I think she’s kidding but I’m still not sure.

Well, I have no real good leprechaun tricks up my sleeve…but I will comment that we absolutely love corned beef. That is the most simple meal to prepare, and when I do serve corned beef and cabbage, there are no leftovers. If there were leftovers, they would be just as good as the original prepped meal. I just buy a package of corned beef, follow directions on the package, and cook it in the crockpot…..to me that is a feast! We always have that on St. Patrick’s Day. But, being a Catholic and have a very deep love for Italian food, we celebrate St. Joseph’s Day, on March 19….that is even a bigger feast, with sardines (and/or anchovies) and spaghetti, meat sauce and spaghetti with sawdust (sweetened bread crumbs), bread sticks, stuffed artichokes, etc. I don’t know if you have ever gone to a St. Joseph’s Altar, but they are common down here in the South, and some people open their homes to the public and serve Italian food, and their altars are like a big set of stairs going almost to the ceiling, filled with fancy baked breads, prepared dishes, desserts, and statues of St. Joseph, etc. So that week in March is really “pig out” week for us.

Your idea of the leprechaun party is hilarious. You are quite the trickster! No wonder you love the Halloween celebration so much. I bet your boys are crazy about all this, and will have those memories forever.
    You are a good mom.

13. Leslie 13

I make the most delish flavorful shepherds Pie known to man…email me if you would like my recipe!!

14. Melynda 14

I could eat corned beef and cabbage every month and not get tired of it. I think of it like ham,cured meat; on the menu. I like to simmer it in water first before I bake it. That removes some of the salt (possible the flavor that folks object to) and then bake slowly adding a glaze the last hour, equal parts apricot jam, grainy mustard and brown sugar.

P.S. I checked back to your website a year ago and I will let you know how many diamonds I get from Tiffany’s after I fix those Whiskey Glazed Corned Beef slices to my better half!!!

16. Cynthia 16

Hmm, interesting. I definitely don’t make a big deal out of St. Patrick’s Day, but I DO love me some corned beef and often use the holiday as an excuse to make it! I actually make “new england boiled dinner” in my crock pot most often, and it’s delicious and easy peasy! Just corned beef, cabbage, a few spices and 10-12 hours cooking time.
    Yum.

(In fairness I will answer the poll by saying that to me, a NY Jew, it’s a fairly minor holiday. But I still like any excuse for corned beef!)

17. Oh…you’re going to love this…

My husband Michael’s heritage is 150% Irish. Both of his grandmothers were the first generation to be born in the US, so St. Patrick’s Day is HUGE in our house.

We always make corned beef, potatoes, carrots, you name it. We drink either Harp, Guinness Stout or 7 & 7’s (with Jameson’s of course). I usually make short bread for dessert and we listen to traditional Irish music while we eat. The last thing we do is watch Darby O’Gill & the Little People and Waking Ned Devine (if you haven’t seen the second movie, you should. It’s funny and sweet).

Some times it’s just the three of us and other times we will have a full house of extended family. It’s something we always look forward to and we have such a great time.

18. Both my family and my husband’s family have some Irish ancestry. When the kids were little, we used to do more for St. Patrick’s Day, but I never did unnaturally green food for the occasion. I still remember when I was a little girl and my mom made green fried chicken. That was a little weird, but when she made green scrambled eggs, that was just over the top. No one could handle eating them.

I have made corned beef a few times, and that is standard St. Patty’s Day fare for my mom and brother. The problem with corned beef and cabbage for me is that the leftovers look so nasty that no one can handle scooping them out and reheating them the next day. Everyone is always surprised to remember how much they like it, but the leftovers go to waste. I can’t stand waste.

We have had Irish stew a few times for St. Patty’s, but our usual meal is Potato Leek Soup with Irish Soda Bread. It’s a favorite in our house and we will have it several times a year. The original recipes for both the soup and the bread came from an old March issue of Family Fun, and there was an apple cake recipe that went along with it. The apple cake was really wonderful, but I made the mistake of loaning the recipe card to my mother-in-law and never saw it again. I haven’t been able to find a recipe quite like it since.

19. We’re corned beef and cabbage people all the way. Add a couple Irish coffee’s to that.

20. I always make an Irish dinner on St Patty’s Day (my dad was from Ireland).

I LOVE corned beef!

I the the pretty typical meal–corned beef (and lots of it so there’s plenty left over for sandwiches), cabbage w/ bacon, boiled potatoes and homemade Irish soda bead–the dessert varies from year to year.

zi like the idea of the green milk!

21. I think there is nothing more glorious in this world than a perfect Rueben sandwich – the blend of the crispy bread, the salty meat, the tangy sauerkraut and mustard.

I’d be forever in your debt if you posted one of those post-Patty’s day. Just to see your awesome take on it.

My family is German but my other has always cooked all kinds of ethnic meals on their given holidays. It was a great way to learn about other cultures and foods growing up. My husbands’ family that IS Irish never cooks, except his aunt can make a mean Soda bread.

22. Suzette 22

One of my favorite bosses of all time was first-generation Irish. He would always take us out for lunch on St. Patty’s day. We’d find a restaurant that offered corned beef. We’d have a few beers (sometimes green ones) and have a great time talking about things Irish. I continued the tradition for a few years after he retired, but y’know…it’s hard to find corned beef out there. And I’m not about to make it for one person. But, every March 17th, I think of Jim McKenna and our Irish lunches.

23. I am the only one who will eat corned beef and cabbage–so we eat out!

24. Marlene 24

I love corned beef…sammies, soup, boiled, baked, roasted, with cabbage, sauerkraut, or all by its lonesome. Just L.O.V.E. it.

That is a riot what you do…please take photos to share with us!

25. Shawn 25

I’ve only had corned beef sandwiches, I’ve never cooked it myself. I’ll have to try sometime.

We just always have to wear something green so we don’t get pinched! I have no idea how that started but it’s been in all the schools forever.

26. Joy 26

We *love* corned beef, though prefer the round (harder to find) to brisket, with carrots, potatoes, onions and cabbage. Always intend to have enough left over for Reuben sandwiches, but it just doesn’t happen 😉

27. I have always considered St. Patty’s a minor holiday and haven’t done much in the way of celebrating. However, this year I actually decorated for the day and I’m planning to do a St. Patty’s tree next year. I think your idea of going all out to celebrate it is a great one.

28. Louise 28

Yes on the corned beef and no to the cabbage. Perhaps I’m in an odd family (ok, no need to respond to that!) cuz we plan our celebration meal around some home brew beer prepared with St. Patricks day in mind. 😉

29. I’ll admit it. As a kid I would not touch the corned beef or cabbage that my Mom would make for St. Patrick’s Day.
    Now that I’ve actually broken down and tasted it, I love it! Not sure what I’m making this year. Probably some corned beef, maybe some Irish soda bread (cuz I LOVE bread!). Who knows.
    I like your green toilet water gag! The kids will get a kick out of that!

30. I don’t like corned beef (or pretty much any beef, but that is my own issue) so I won’t be making that, but I will try to come up with something fitting.

We are definitely more into Mardi Gras for a cooking holiday. MMM MMM! We had Etouffe for dinner on Tuesday!

31. I completely understand! We have corned beef and cabbage every year, which my hubby and I love, although the kids, not so much. I make some sort of potato dish, and soda bread. No one likes the soda bread, but it’s Irish, and every year I stubbornly make it thinking this will be the year they discover they really do like it. We drink green milk (food coloring) and this year we’ll conclude with Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream pie. St. Patrick’s day too much fun not to join in. Plus, I’m something like 1/8th Irish.

32. What? Hate corned beef?!!! I’ve never heard that before. I LOVE corned beef and I always cook for St. Patricks Day. I am Irish/German and my hubs is Irish/Polish…we couldn’t live without corned beef or the awesome soda bread his sister makes to accompany our meal. I bake my corned beef…an excellent recipe I found on Foodtv.com years ago, and I haven’t boiled it since. I make a horseradish cream sauce to go with it too, yum!! Making hash and fried potatoes with the leftovers the next morning is just as good as the meal the first time! I like to make it more than just once a year, but right now I am holding out until March 17th so it will taste even better for having waited! Oops, let me wipe up that drool…

we LOVE corned beef and cabbage and fritters! YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY

34. Angie 34

My mom was always the one to celebrate holidays. We would come downstairs to green bisquick pancakes with leprechaun feet (green food dye again) running across them. Also, she would make those pistachio cupcakes made from pistachio pudding with cream cheese icing and green candies on top. I can never remember what we ate at meals, but pancakes and cupcakes were always a mainstay.

35. Cathy- I am Polish too.. I do the traditional corned beef thing along with cabbage, potatoes, irish soda bread. We love it! Reubens are a must the same week.. Do you make your own horseradish for easter?

36. Kelly 36

We always do an irish luncheon at work — last year we had Guinness Stew (in a crockpot, for convienence), irish soda bread (this year we’re doing it in cupcake form for easier serving), and last year’s dessert was Guinness Chocolate Cupcakes (by moi). I’ve been given dessert again this year, but this year I’m doing Baileys Irish Cream Brownies.
    God. I LOVE brownies. (And Baileys, if we’re being honest)

ok who hates corned beef?
    I mean come on, there are so many things you can do with it. I love it tradionationally cooked and then slathered with vinegar, Mmmmm. And the best part? The leftovers people! Leftover corned beef BEGS to be made into corned beef hash, and then you can make my favorite Irish Eggs Benedict! HELLO?

38. I usually ignore it… but so many people blogged about the corned beef thing last year, I’m feeling inspired!

39. My husband is half Irish, so I usually do the whole St. Paddy’s Day dinner – corned beef & cabbage, Irish soda bread, colcannon….

One year, I dared to make a roasted corned beef with apricot glaze. It was awesome, but Hubs was pretty disappointed not to have the traditional one. Oh, well.

40. Elyse 40

Coming from a Jewish family, I grew up with both my mom and grandma making me corned beef, and I am among the haters. My problem with it is not the flavor: it’s the texture. No matter how leanly you carve the meat, there is still fat running throughout. I can’t stand the “chew” of the fat–even the tiniest bit. In my defense though, I can’t eat ham for the same reason, and I avoid steaks (unless it’s a filet, and I only go near that on occasion). I even pick at my turkey, which is supposedly lean. So, it’s really not corned beef’s fault, you see. It’s me, really. I’ve never really done a special meal on St. Patty’s Day, buuut, I did used to get into the decorations. When I was little, my mom would help me set traps for the Leprechauns.

41. imom 41

I love corned beef, but don’t make it. I can’t make it like my mom, I stopped trying. I don’t do any special cooking for St. Patties day, but my mom does. She does corn beef, potatoes and every year she makes Irish soda bread. She’s way into it.

42. elra 42

I don’t celebrate it, but my husband and I like corned beef, my son hate it.
    Cheers,
    Elra

43. I love love love corned beef. My mom prepared a traditional Irish boiled dinner every single St. Patrick’s Day when I was growing up. I can remember running home and right before I’d turn the corner to our street I could smell that wonderful dinner!

I just started doing this for our family as well, although after reading your post about everything you do, I might have to adopt some of those fun traditions too…however that might prove difficult with a British hubby! But I think, in the spirit of fun, he’ll play along!

I’m even going to attempt to make Irish soda bread this year, too!

44. Trisha 44

While I have never tried corned beef (I know – *gasp!*) I don’t cook special St. Patrick’s Day meals either. I guess I am just boring!

45. Lisa 45

I love to cook on St. Patrick’s Day though I’m not at all Irish either. I don’t like Corned Beef, so I cook an Irish stew. It can be made with lamb or beef… and Guinness. (I’ve also made potato soup for the occasion, when I was pregnant and most foods seemed vile.) If I am particularly ambitious I make Irish Soda Bread too. For dessert, Chocolate Stout Cake is particularly fine. And I have to agree with Jennifer. It is important to watch “Waking Ned Devine” or “The Secret of Roan Innish” or “Darby McGill…”

I love the green toilet water! Wish I’d thought of that and the Lucky Charms trail when my kids were younger. Although, even grown, I think they’d appreciate it.

Well, I love corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes! My family, well, they are not big fans. So, sometimes I have to settle for a Reuben for my pot of gold meal! :-)

47. My maternal grandfather was Irish and the best thing I ever did was a riding holiday in western Ireland. (I rode from the east end of County Clare to Galway Bay). However, I don’t celebrate St. Pat’s Day. Partially it’s because I hate the way it’s become an overhyped Hallmark holiday in the US, meant as an excuse to drink heavily. I’ve talked to Irish people who say it’s a quiet, family holiday, very much like Thanksgiving in Ireland. Also, St. Patrick is famous for ridding Ireland of the Druid faith, and I don’t think that’s necessarily a good thing. A lot of interesting culture was lost thanks to the Christianization of Ireland forcing otu all other religions.

That being said, I do love corned beef. However, just as with so many other meats, I can’t make it unless I can eat it all myself since my husband won’t touch it. I also don’t like overcooked cabbage and potatoes.

I LOVE Irish brown bread though. I lost the recipe my hosts in Ireland gave me and I have to find a new one online so I can replicate that wonderful bread.

48. Leslie 48

I don’t eat meat, so I make rumbledethumps, frizzled cabbage, and traditional Irish soda bread – all compliments of recipezaar!

49. Anna 49

I live in Savannah, so St. Pat’s is HUGE here! (2nd largest parade in the country) So there’s no cooking done by me – just out partying all day! =)

50. We aren’t the slightest bit Irish and really don’t have any traditions. Our nephew was born on St. Patty’s day-that is the closest to a celebration we get. I have only tried a brisket once and hated it, but I was a newly married person so my cooking skills were not the best, so maybe I just screwed it up? When I was a young adult, it was all about going to the bars and pretending we were Irish :)

Green toilet water-what a hoot! I can only imagine faces on that one. And at our house it would have to Marshmallow Matey’s……course, that wouldn’t have the same effect……

51. Kyddryn 51

I’m part Irish (many generations back), but that wouldn’t matter a whit – I adore corned beef and cabbage with taties and carrots. It looks a mess, tastes grand, and I serve it with homemade soda bread and Irish butter. Mmm…now I’m hungry…

Shade and Sweetwater,
    K

52. Joan 52

Irish soda bread, Irish scones, Irish oatmeal…

We alternate the corned beef with a special Irish Lamb Stew…I’m going to try Tyler Florence’s version this year — it uses lamb shanks and has a potato crust on top. He demonstrated it just last week, I think. But here’s my recipe (probably more French than Irish, but adults and kids alike love it:

Spring Lamb Stew

2# lean stewing lamb, cut into 1″ cubes
    3 T. olive oil or salad oil
    1 Medium onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 T. flour
    1 1/2 c. chicken broth
    1 1/2 tsp. salt
    1 bay leaf, crumbled
    1/4 tsp. marjoram
    2 T. lemon juice (or 1/2 c. dry white wine)
    6-8 small white onions
    3 carrots, scraped and sliced
    3 med. potatoes, cut into pieces
    1 T. finely chopped parsley.

Heat oil in heavy 4 qt. kettle. Brown meat on all sides. Remove and saute onion and garlic. Return meat and sprinkle with flour. Add broth and seasoning. Mix well. Cover and simmer for 1/2 hour. Add white onions and simmer 15 minutes. Add carrots and potatoes. Simmer 20 minutes until just fork tender. Add parsley…and serve with Irish soda bread and a salad.

Or how about St. Patty’s Potato Pizza:

2 medium onions, thinly sliced
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 teaspoon thyme (leaves)
    2 medium red potatoes, sliced 1/8-inch thick
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese (6 to 8 ounces)
    4 ounces corned beef, 1/8-inch thick strips
    2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

53. Gretchen 53

I too am a huge corned beef fan, as is my entire family! We can never wait for St. Patty’s Day to roll around, so we make the whole dinner (corned beef, cabbage, potatoes) several times each year. The best part of it, though, is homemade horseradish. Yum! This year I’m going to make champ to go alongside as it’s become a new favorite of mine.

We’re pretty boring here. Just wear green. I used to do more when the kids were little, the same sort of stuff you do. Green pancakes, etc. Now, we’re rarely home at night in time for me to do a big production.
    I have always wanted to try corned beef, I’m scared though. I bet you could convince me…hint, hint.

55. Biz 55

I love corned beef!!! The Reuben sandwich is hands down the best sandwich ever invented.

I don’t like the cabbage part though – just sauerkraut!

56. April in CT 56

We don’t cook anything for it nor do I have kids, but I’m totally dying the toilet water green, turning over furniture and spreading Lucky Charms around for my hubby.

57. I always do a delicious shepherd’s pie with ground beef simmered in Guiness and cabernet and a cheddar cheese potato top. It is so delicious. I’d be happy to send you the recipe, if you so desire. It’s the least I can do, for all the wonderful recipes you’ve given us!

58. Betty 58

The only thing Irish about my husband & I is the fact that our wedding anniversary is on St. Patty’s Day. Soooo, we go out to dinner or lunch, which ever pops into view 1st. As for Irish eating fare,,ummmm, green beer, a reuben sandwich.A cupcake with green frosting & a leprechaun decoration on the top, with a Happy Anniversary to my sweetie.

…there are people who don’t like corned beef? What the hell is that about? I never do anything for St Patricks, even though I live in Boston. It’s just never been my thing.

60. I always make Guinness Beef Stew.

Here’s the link to the recipe on my blog: link to themerlinmenu.blogspot.com

61. Katie 61

We are Irish so my mom makes a corned beef, which I will only eat as a reuben sandwich hold the sauce. And she makes a pork loin and Colcannon. And my favorite she makes Irish Soda Bread. I could eat that everyday!

62. KAYOLA 62

I do all the mom things too…green milk, green pancakes…etc.etc. I am a Reuben sandwich girl…♥ them ALL year long…I am Scottish…maybe we are related….”ISH” Family

63. Years ago I tried coloring things green… and it was really received very well. I have to say, I don’t really dig corned beef. But last year I made colcannon and I’ll definitely be making that again! It was really good! Probably soda bread too.

64. Kim M. 64

My husband claims to be full Irish (he is not) so St. Patty’s day is a big deal here. He makes the corned beef that he loves and we all hate. He also makes an awesome soda bread that we all love. We humor him once a year.

65. I really could care less. I tend to avoid the bars because I don’t really enjoy the company of people who are falling down drunk.

However, I love Joan’s idea for the potato pizza~

66. Melissa Perdomo 66

I LOVE your ideas for turning over the furniture and adding green to the toilet water! That’s hilarious!! I told my husband about it- and he said maybe you could leave out a small pot of those chocolate wrapped coins for your kids.

Also- at my Catholic school- one year we made green eggs and ham on St atty’s
    Day. This worked out perfectly bc we each got one or two eggs to pierce with
    toothpicks at each end. Then we blew out the egg (gently) into bowls to be dyed green and scrambled. Well- our clever teacher rinsed the hollowed eggs and dried them for later use to decorate for Easter- jut a few weeks later!

So- it worked out perfectly for St Patty’s Day AND for Easter!

67. Kim 67

My family loves corned beef so much that we have it several times a year. Each time, you’d think the locusts had descended. Every last scrap is eaten, so there are never any leftovers for anything yummy like reuben sandwiches with sour cream instead of Russian dressing.

68. My friend Mrs. McGill gave me a good corned beef and cabbage recipe I’ll be whipping up!

First, about corned beef-does it have cabbage? I know I hate it but cannot remember why–if it has cabbage that is why.

As to St. Patty’s, well I was a history major and one of my focuses was Ireland and my prof pretty much drummed into me that the way it is now celebrated in the US perpetrates a drunken, goofy (leprechaun) stereotype of Irish people. NOT that I hold any individuals celebrating against them and it certainly sounds like your celebration is all in good fun, but it kinda killed it for me. :)

70. It’s not a holiday for us that we cook for, but if someone’s got green eggs and ham they want to share, we’ll eat it.

71. Lo! 71

We totally go all-out for St. Patrick’s Day. Corned beef, some sort of cabbage dish (usually a gratin, or a caramalized cabbage)… all the fixin’s. I like to make Irish soda bread, and serve lots of good Irish beer. And for dessert I serve up a nice Irish Whiskey cake. (Despite all that lusciousness, the best part is REALLY the leftovers… and I always make an extra brisket just to make sure we have some left for Reubens)

I have fond memories of St. Patty’s Day. My sister and I used to take it upon ourselves to secretly dye lots of things green… mashed potatoes, beer, milk. Even the butter ended up green one year :) So, I can just imagine the fun at your house.

Now, my question for you — green toilet water, huh? Can you get it to stay that way?? For long?? LOVE IT.

72. Barbie,
    Having lived in Providence for 4 years, I have learned the joys of St. Joseph’s Day. Every year there would be a huge festival (celebrated in May because it was warmer) for St. Joseph’s Day. Oh those pastries with the sweetened breadcrumbs (sawdust), yummy!

73. Melissa 73

Corned beef is fine by me.

But St. Patrick’s Day goes by unnoticed in my world. *Shrug*

74. A new thing we make for St. Pats is Guinness Milkshakes. Equal parts Guinness and good quality chocolate ice cream blended together for a grand shake. Play with the beer to ice cream ratio if you like. You can use vanilla but we like the chocolate the best. I am half Italian and half Texan but we still love our corned beef and Irish jig music. Hubby is Scotish so close enough eh?

link to bigredkitchen.com

75. There’s really less of a fuss over Paddy’s Day here in Ireland than in the US, and the whole corned beef thing is really much more Irish-American than Irish. We do have local parades alright but, foodwise, I honestly wouldn’t tend to cook anything especially Irish (or green-coloured) on the day. I think I would be much more inclined to cook up an Irish storm for Paddy’s Day if I lived in a country other than Ireland :)

Guinness, on the other hand, is *very* popular on Paddy’s Day here – so perhaps a good choice if you’re looking for something different to cook on the day, would be spuds soaked in Guinness, which you can find here: link to thedailyspud.com

76. Debbie 76

I make corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick’s Day and I am not Irish either. I am Italian and German so go figure. I think on St. Patrick’s Day we are all Irish though! I love cabbage and can take or leave the corned beef. I only eat that once a year and have plenty of mustard on the side…..

I love corned beef, but the hubby can’t stand it, so I don’t cook it. I make Irish soda bread and green cake – yellow cake mix with green food coloring. There’s a Polish furniture merchant here who advertises on St. Paddy’s week as “Jacob O'(Polish Last Name)”. I find that hilarious.

78. I love corned beef and look forward to having it for St. Patties day each year. I make a fruit glazed corned beef and baby red taters. YUM-O

79. Let me just say that it’s a joy to have accidentally stumbled upon your blog. The food photos you show seem to be sooo real that I could just eat them off the PC monitor. The visual steps you show seem soooo easy to follow as well.
    I am Irish by marriage. My husband’s mother was 100% Irish and his father was half Polish-Irish. The hubby and his sister were born & raised in New York City, schooled in Ireland….so St. Patrick’s Day is very, very important. My hubby will allow me to skip Thanksgiving cooking but definitely NOT St. Patrick’s. Luckily, his socially-inclined sis always has wild parties on St. Patty’s.
    She serves corned beef and cabbage, blood pudding, Irish brown bread, scones, and anything that can turn green in color. But the food that stick out at the party and consumed with much fanfare are: Rum-soaked Bread Pudding (guess you can’t serve that to the kids, huh) and Deviled Eggs.
    One thing the Irish siblings do not serve is Green Beer. Lots of Jameson passed around. You can’t take beer away from the Irish!

80. I always forget it’s St. Patty’s Day until it’s all over. And I’ve a touch of green food colouring in me! I should know better.

81. Rebel 81

I usually fix corned beef and cabbage, sometimes I throw in potatoes and carrots. Or I fix ruebens. We love corned beef so much that I buy 3 or 4 extras and put ’em in the freezer to cook throughout the year. I love horseradish sauce with corned beef. Yum, love St Paddy’s Day

82. Rebel 82

I took the link back to your corned beef recipe, what was the dessert in part two?

83. Cheryl 83

Love corned beef. Love cabbage. Love the color green. Love mischief. I’m into St. Patty’s Day like nobody’s business. (and I am COMPLETELY going to dye our toilet water green! GENIUS!)

I love corned beef, I eat every last bite and so does my family!

85. Tanya 85

Count me in with those who hate corned beef. Blech! My parents always loved it though, so when we were kids we were sometimes subjected to it for dinner.

St. Patrick’s Day doesn’t mean much to me. I was always the kid who got pinched because I wouldn’t wear green.

86. Amy Ephron 86

my husband (my present husband) as opposed to my last husband — had his bachelor party at Langers Delicatessan because of the pastrami sandwiches (which is sort of like corned beef, just not quite as lean) and he and my brother-in-law ordered 3 sandwiches between them, which would be one and half… And I knew I was marrying the right person. But I highly recommend, if you’re in L.A. a take-out pastrami sandwich on St. Patrick’s Day. Pastrami, St. Patrick’s Day — they’re sort of in the same family….

87. Sara 87

I’m not irish either, but I usually do a corned beef just because it’s so delicious!

You are such a cool mom. I haven’t really ever done anything for St. Patrick’s Day, but I will this year. I may just have to make corned beef and let the leprechauns loose.

89. My all-time favorite sandwich is peppered corned beef and Swiss cheese. Just thinking about it makes salivate. And, corned beef hash … heaven. So corned beef I like. I haven’t progressed to liking cooked cabbage though. My husand’s mother’s family is Irish … the Fitzgeralds. So, she usually has a St. Patrick’s Day pot luck dinner. She supplies the corned beef and cabbage (separately, and I am glad obviously) and we supply the rest!

Now as far as ideas for you … hmmm, can you make a virgin grasshopper of some type? (thinking of the hooligans) smoothie with a tinge of green for breakfast? creme de menthe brownies? layered green salad (e.g., 7-layer)? Let the hooligans decorate w/green crepe paper maybe. (Who doesn’t love crepe paper?) Several different colors of green or green and white perhaps. I’m not too creative this morning …

Shirley

I never had corned beef till I met my husband and I LOVE it. Squishy heart it. Less-than-three it. To die for good. My kids request it for their birthday meals. It’s so GOOD.

My Hunny’s mom is Polish and his paternal grandmother is Irish. Between the corned beef and the cabbage, we’re covered. Of COURSE we have it for St. Patty’s Day!

91. It’s a frittata! and it looks fabulous.
    I don’t do the St. Patty’s thing menu.

Used to love to cut school and go into Manhattan to the St. Patrick’s Day Parade! Now, that was fun!

92. My mom always made corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick’s Day – we’re definitely not Irish! I guess we kind of grew up celebrating lots of holidays from other cultures.

93. Sarah 93

This year will mark the 10th anniversary of my annual St. Paddy’s party–complete with loads of corned beef, cabbage or colcannon (mashed potatoes with cabbage in them), carrots and soda bread. For dessert, I make my blue-ribbon chocolate Guinness cupcakes with a Jameson’s whiskey sabayon icing.

One year we did a blind Irish whiskey tasting and last year we did a blind Irish stout tasting. Not sure yet what this year’s festivities will bring!

94. Oh my . . . you actually made ASPARAGUS look GOOD!!!

I think I could convince the hubs to partake!

We usually make corned beef and cabbage along with colcannon (a mashed potatoe with cabbage and bacon in it).

OMG I LOVE corned beef. My husband and I make it many times during the year and we always make it on St. Pattys Day (which we will do again this year…oh and this Monday too). Love this time of year when we can get some fresh stuff (as opposed to the pre-packaged kind).

97. tipper 97

I loved corned beef anytime of the year!