Katherine Hepburn’s Brownies

With all the hoopla surrounding the Acadamy Awards this weekend, I wanted to make something appropriate for the occasion and worthy of an Oscar.

I think I nailed it with Katherine Hepburn’s Brownies.  Wow.

As she is one of the greatest stars in the history of American Cinema, these brownies garnered their own spotlight in my kitchen.  This recipe accompanied a 1975 Ladies Home Journal interview with Katherine Hepburn and was revitalized by Saveur.

I have always loved Katherine Hepburn, seeing her as utterly fearless in her performances, spoken words and actions.  I wish I had a diminutive amount of her nerve.

It makes complete sense she eloquently embraced her role in the 1967 contoversial film, Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner.  I loved that movie as well as my other Hepburn fave, African Queen.  Her dynamic performances were legendary.

So back to the recipe…what intrigued me most about these brownies was the scant amount of flour used in the process – only a quarter cup.  Who isn’t trying to cut out white flour?  And as you can see by the fudgeladen photo…a larger amount of flour was not missed.

Overall, these brownies were amazing.  Bravo Katherine, these were damn good.  Can’t you hear her saying that?

Let’s make them…they are a cinch…put together in minutes in one saucepan and tossed in the oven….so simple.  I can even picture Katherine slamming around in the kitchen proclaiming she doesn’t have time for a more complicated recipe.  At least that’s how I imagine it.

Here’s what you will need:  Unsalted butter, unsweetened chocolate, granulated sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, walnuts, flour and table salt.

This recipe calls for unsweetened chocolate.  Obviously the better quality chocolate you use, the better your brownies will taste.  For unsweetened chocolate, I always use Scharffen Berger 99% cacao.  It gives a fuller flavor than your regular Hershey’s or supermarket brand.  There really is a difference.

In a 2-quart saucepan over low-heat, melt 1/2 cup unsalted butter with 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.  Remove the pan from the heat and stir in 1 cup sugar.

Stir in 2 eggs and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract to make a smooth batter.

Add 1 cup walnuts, 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 teaspoon table salt; stir until incorporated.

Prepare an 8″ x 8′ baking dish by greasing it with butter.  Then line the pan with parchment paper and grease it as well.  Pour the batter into the lined dish and spread evenly.

Bake in a 325 degree oven for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Since you have lined your pan with parchment you can immediately remove the brownies from the dish, leaving them to cool.

When cooled, cut into nine squares and serve.

Sheer and utter bliss will come to those who make these.

Remember, these hardly have any flour so they are practically diet food.

Perfection.

Katherine Hepburn’s Brownies

1/2 cup unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
2 ounces good quality unsweetened chocolate
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup roughly chopped walnuts
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon table salt

In a 2-quart saucepan over low-heat, melt butter with unsweetened chocolate, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.  Remove the pan from the heat and stir in sugar.  Stir in eggs and vanilla extract to make into a smooth batter.  Add walnuts, flour and salt; stir until incorporated.

Since you have lined your pan with parchment you can immediately remove the brownies from the dish, leaving them to cool.

When cooled, cut into nine squares and serve.

What I Was Complaining About One Year Ago Today:  My Crazy Place

1. susan 1

yum! Have you ever taken a tour of the Scharffen Berger factory? It’s kind of fun and educational…pretty short. A physician and his patient (Scharffenberger) started the company stemming from their passions… here’s the link:
    link to scharffenberger.com
    Just in case you haven’t toured their factory in Berkeley, CA. If you have and/or know their history…never mind 😀

I made your recipe for the white bean dip tonight– “Perfectly, perfect.” I’d been waiting for some time to make it and had to improvise, as I left my green onions at a friend’s home–accidentally–after our trip to Trader Joe’s in Chico, CA. He lives in Redding (TJ’s is coming soon! yay!!) and I live near Mt. Shasta…oh well…I ended up using a red onion–still–what a tasty combo and my family liked it a lot. Thank you for posting and I look forward to trying it with green onions next time.

Thank you and bless your busy hands!

I totally believe you…this sounds much like the recipe I just made however it is in a 9×13 pan instead – the ingredients just double! YUMMM. Good thing I can’t literally reach in the screen or at almost 4 AM I’d be chowing down on brownies!

Oh. My. Word. You evil genius, finding such delicious creations. :) Mmm!

A) I’m not cutting them into little squares; I’m just eating the whole thing as one big snack.
    B) Lining the pan is new to me and I think it’s simply genius…too busy eating brownies to clean.

5. My favorite Katherine Hepburn quote is, “Sometimes I wonder if men and women really suit each other. Perhaps they should live next door and just visit now and then.”

I loved the way she thought and these brownies look amazing!!!

Thanks for posting this one!

6. One can never go wrong with brownies , they suffice for any and all occasions and there are no left overs, just happy people wanting more. This does look like a very good recipe, and this Kathryn ( I know, differs from her spelling ) will be making this recipe!

7. nina 7

Diet food!!! That is so funny!!! I for one are trying to cut out white flour so this is ideal for a treat!!! Thx for sharing. I cannot wait for tonight’s Oscars!

8. Those would be perfect for Ben’s b-day!

9. These look amazing – and after remembering her size – I can’t believe she ate even one. These are going on my “To Try” list! Thanks!

sounds yummy i have a question for you… have you ever made anything with pure cane syrup? my DH got a bottle at christmas time and I have not yet figured out what exactly to do with it… it is a bottle of home made syrup so no preservatives.
    thanks for any ideas.

11. deeba 11

Elegance personified…wish we got this delicious 99% chocolate here! Just perfect Cathy! Yes, I think you nailed it too!!

Such perfect squares. I have never seen such perfection in brownies before, and with only 1/4 cup of flour. WOW, that is amazing. I bet those didn’t last long once they were cut. Very interesting about Katherine Hepburn. Thanks for the info.

13. Julie 13

Yes, it’s diet food…I’ll keep chanting that to myself as I consume them all.

14. These are definitely star worthy brownies Cathy:D

15. These have hardly any flour so they’re diet food…that’s how I prefer to look at it as well. :)

Have you ever seen The Lion In Winter with Katherine Hepburn? In my opinion, her best performance ever. If you haven’t seen it, get it. It’s one of my all time favorites.

16. Fudgy and dense, just with way I like them. I’ve cut and pasted this one. Looks heavenly.

17. imom 17

My daughter was looking for a brownie recipe the other day and I had to warn her that homemade brownies usually turn out dry. These look really moist. I’ll give her this recipe next time she wants to make some!

18. Becky 18

You’ve got me craving these brownies with a cold glass of milk. And I haven’t even eaten breakfast yet.
    Not good. It will set the pace for the whole day.

19. Oh wow–they’re almost flourless–I definitely want to try those!!

Katherine Hepburn and I share a bday so I’ve always felt a connection to her–looks like she was def. onto something w/ those brownies!!

20. Shaye 20

I should know better than to look before breakfast. One look at those brownies and my stomach started growling and I actually started drooling a little bit. They look like just the thing for Fat Tuesday. 😉

21. Katrina 21

“You old poop”–may be one of my favorite Katherine Hepburn lines.
    Have you seen Wait Until Dark? That’s a really good movie she did, my friend and I screamed!
    I’ve heard/seen her brownie recipe, but never tried them. Holy Yum!

22. Misty 22

YUMMY! I feel like I can gain tons of weight from just looking at them! I think I would forget about losing weight for these babies! They look wonderful Cathy!

23. I love brownies, perfect for a wedding or an afternoon…

Ok, it doesn’t match her Calla Lily quote, but it is the best I could come up with this morning.

Now this is my kind of brownie. Rich, delicious and gooey. Excellent recipe.

25. Rosa 25

What wonderful Brownies! They look really moist and fudgy… Yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa

26. I feel happy just looking at these beauties! Yum!

27. Trisha 27

One of these days I will learn! Looking at your fudgey brownies is making my stomach growl!

28. Maureen 28

I want one NOW, please!

29. Laurie 29

Your family must ADORE you! These look so moist and delicious. Awesome photos too, as always!

30. Louise 30

These are a winner in my book! I heard that Scharffen Berger is either halting or moving production from the bay area. Sad either way, but sure hope it is just a move.

31. Greg 31

Cathy,

I just woke up, still in a pre-coffee haze, but that does not stop me from wanting to eat one of those! They really look great.

I’m going to send you an email about my wine… our first release is coming out soon!

32. They look so moist!!! I was so close to licking the screen!

33. Sandie 33

Is there any woe a gorgeous plate of brownies can’t cure, at least temporarily?

And yes, I can definitely hear Katherine Hepburn proclaiming, “These brownies are damn good.”

As always, she remains fabulous! (And I can’t wait to try her brownies—thanks, Cathy!)

34. Those look insanely amazingly delicious. Wow.

Yummy! Thanks for remembering my supposed diet!

36. kathleen 36

can you do these without walnuts? they look amazing but i HATE nuts in baked goods.

37. I love Katherine and I know I will love these diet brownies. I’m with laura-forget about cutting them-I’m digging in with my hands and slapping anyone who comes within a 10 foot radius.

38. elra 38

Wow, look at that beautiful Katherine Hepburn’s Brownies, so moist and delicious. It must be! the chocolate brand say it all.
    Cheers,
    Elra

Nice, those look bad ass.

i enjoy katherine hepburn and i enjoy her brownies. lovely execution, cathy!

41. Elyse 41

These look so deliciously fudgy! I’ve been wanting to try this recipe for a while now, and you’ve given me the pictorial inspiration I needed to make this recipe!!

42. MY GOOD GRIEF!! hese look unbelievable. I would so love one, ok 2, right now. I am printing as we speak. LOVE you for making these!

43. Um…Wow.

44. Rebel 44

Oh My!!! I can’t wait to try these. I’ve got some kids who love brownies. Thanks.

45. Biz 45

Hannah will die when she sees this recipe – she loves brownies!

Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner is one of my favorite movies – next to Marty with Earnest Borgnine (sp?). That is my #1 movie of all time!

Hepburn is one of my favorite actors of ALL TIME. Her quick wit, her energy…she was an original. It’s no dount her brownies have that “no messing around” character to them.

47. Wow, wow, wow! Those brownies look amazing. I’m usually a no-nut-brownie type of gal, but I think I’ll make an exception for your Katherine Hepburn brownies.

KH was one of my favorites as well & the brownies look absolutely scrumptious! Wasn’t that one of the best Oscars ever with Hugh Jackman? Musicals are back!

49. phillygirl64 49

Kate Rocks!

My version of Kate’s recipe has you add a layer of raspberry jam in it

50. Lisa 50

These are my favorite brownies. They are soo flipping easy. I just use my big pyrex mixing bowl and microwave the chocolate and butter together. I then mix it all up in the same bowl. Woo hoo. Who can resist a one bowl recipe. Plus, it’s so simple but the results are great. I’ll have to use a higher quality of chocolate, but choco-plebes fear not, you can use just bakers, or ghiradelli or whatever you have on hand and get great results.

51. Wow…Well, if they are good enough for Katherine, they must be good enough for me!

Wow, so they’re a cross between a brownie and an almost flourless chocolate cake.

53. Wow, am I glad I found this site! Sadly, I found it while home with a stomach bug . . . but I WILL be back. PS I’m a UCDS grad but didn’t know about the tunnel.

54. I’ll skip the Oscars and take the brownies.

Ina Garten makes a very fudgy brownie too that has very little flour.

I have some of that fancypants chocolate in my cabinet right now. Perhaps I need a project…

I don’t get the Oscars at all. Or any other awards shows, for that matter. Can someone tell me why I should care?

Brownies, on the other hand, my children care about very much. I must not let them find this recipe!

56. Generators of sheer and utter bliss *and* diet-worthy? Lead me to ’em! :)

57. Linda 57

Last year my daughter and I began our quest for the perfect brownie. We’ve been sampling all sorts and keeping a journal of our findings. I know, we consider it serious investigative work. I’ll add this recipe and try it out!

58. Melynda 58

Can a person have too many brownie recipes? Yeah, I didn’t think so.

59. Melissa 59

They look divine :)
    I have one question: How much is 2 ounces of chocolate?
    Thanks!
    Melissa

60. Ack! They’re pure fudgey goodness. This is the way all brownies should be.

61. Dragon 61

These are definitely award winning. Yum!

62. These look wonderful — I’ve heard about them but never made them!

63. Amber 63

This is almost spooky. I wanted to respond. I was just being sarcastic about being alone, but thank you kindly for the encouragement. I mostly enjoy my time alone. Just miss my children. But then Sophie snuggles up and all is well.
    So today, I made and posted something chocolate. Yes you guessed it. Brownies. Then I come here and…Whoa! Brownies. I will try these because I just can not find what I am looking for. You take the greatest photos.

64. Terrific recipe to convert to gluten free. :-) I just heard about this chocolate from a friend in Calgary, believe it or not. He can buy the bars at his dollar store for $1! These brownies are utter bliss, indeed!

Shirley

I didn’t know K. Hepburn ate, let alone desserts. She was always so bone thin.
    I’m shocked! How friggin wild.

66. KAYOLA 66

Just the pictures have me salivating…boy do I ♥ chocolate…yummmmm

67. I heard about this recipe years ago, but never tracked it down. Thanks for bringing it back — hats off to Kate, who is a star among stars, and obviously made a great brownie, too.

68. sharon 68

Oh, I can just feel the fudgy goodness all the way over here! Do you really think famous people eat anything remotely like this, though? I thought they just ate celery :)

69. YUM! Made these and they are wonderful!

Those look sinful. I love Katherine Hepburn as well. What an amazing lady. I laugh when I think of her not allowing her hired help to mow down a huge patch of Queen Anne’s Lace because she loved how they looked. She said, “No matter that they are weeds. I just like their looks.”

71. Olivia 71

These look really great. I love brownies fudgey and it looks like the scarce amount of flour achieved just that.

72. I’ll make these brownies for watching the African Queen

I love Katherine Hepburn too–by far and way my favorite of the old movie stars. I love her Cary Grant films best, esp Philadelphia Story, although my husband has never let me forget she happily calls her husband “lord and master” in it.

These look great.

74. Nanette 74

These brownies rock! They were SO yummy. I’ve made them twice now and they are a new favorite!

75. Cathy–I finally made these today and they are incredible! I made them for my BIL who does not eat nuts in baked goods, so I left those out and shortened the baking time a bit. The secret is to let them cool properly before cutting … which is a HARD thing to do. LOL They were easy to convert to gluten free by just replacing the AP flour with my gluten-free flour mix and adding a little xanthan gum. Thanks so much for this recipe. BTW, my favorite Katharine Hepburn movie was Desk Set, where Bunny (Hepburn) runs the reference library and answers all sorts of questions far better than any contestant on Jeopardy. Spencer Tracy comes in as the engineer/ efficiency expert with computers, which ultimately can’t compete with Bunny and her staff. :-)

Thanks so much for another great recipe!
    Shirley

76. I made these brownies this morning. I loved the fact that they could be made in one pan. I tasted them before they had finished cooling down however they were much better later in the day. Mine turned out fudgy and not as chocolately as I would have liked. I did not use the Sharfenburger chocolate. I used Giradelli. I thought of adding a tsp of expresso to the mix. Ina Garten does that with her brownies to kick up the chocolate taste.

77. Mary 77

I made these brownies and they were the most amazing brownies I’ve ever had. Simply unforgettable. Check them out! (Although my pictures don’t hold a candle to yours!)

78. I just made these brownies for Oscar Night to, mostly because Laurie Colwin wrote so enthusiastically about it in her book. And everyone was right, these really are the best brownies ever. I love how the outsides get crisp, yet the insides stay so moist. Next time I’ll try your parchment paper idea.