Have You Ever…

…looked for something you had lost or misplaced…for a very, very long time…and never found it?  And it wasn’t so much that you wanted or had to have the object back, you just wanted to know where it went.  Where it was buried?

Yesterday I was digging around my car looking for an item that had fallen between the passenger seat and the console, when I pulled something out the Wild Boar and I have been looking for, for almost six years.

What’s strange is I know I’ve stuck my hand down there so many times to retrieve other things.  How did I miss it?

It was the Wild Boar’s favorite pair of prescription glasses.  I know, nothing exciting, but you have no idea how extensively we looked for these glasses when they disappeared.  The frame and lens were very unique and discontinued by the manufacturer.  They could not be replaced, which is why we had spent so much time searching.  It was a bummer but really we just wanted to know to where they had vanished.

Anyway, it was so cool to finally know where they had been hanging out.

There is something to be said for closure.

What Embarrassed Me One Year Ago Today:  Boogar Assault

1. Yes! I lost one of heart shaped sapphire earrings my husband gave me. I had been searching everywhere and finally decided I must have vacuumed it up. On Valentine’s Day I was feeling a little bummed by the fact that I did not have the PAIR of earrings to go with the heart shaped sapphire necklace he had given me when I spied something sparkling in the sun. Lo and behold, there was my lost earring , stuck in a thick wool rug….and I COULD wear it on Valentine’s Day. It is a relief when a loss just nags at you for ever..and then you find that special item. Almost like receiving it as a gift all over.

So, is the prescription still good for the Wild Boar?

2. Shawn 2

OMG! I just read your booger story! That is so hilarious..I am crying for Pete’s sake. I had to read it aloud to my coworkers. Not that I called you the booger lady or anything!

3. It sounds dumb, but I looked high and low for a bottle opener. Found it another room and in a drawer. I’m thinking I must have had it my hand and walked into a room and set it down. Then maybe in a hurry to clean up swept into a drawer

4. I had to laugh because that happens more than not in my life. Glad you found his glasses!

5. That’s awesome! I love it when you find things you think have disappeared.

6. Becky 6

And I’ll bet from now on, everytime something comes up missing, between the seats is the first place you’ll look.
    A friend of mine lost a diamond earring between the seats one time and couldn’t get it out. She had to take it to the dealership service department to have the seat removed to retrieve it.

7. Julia 7

So did the Wild Boar want to rejuvenate the glasses?

*sigh* I lost of a very hip pair of glasses that I bought in Singapore. I know they’re in my house somewhere… I’ve looked and looked! I wish I could say I found them.

8. I lost my diamond ring that my husband gave me for my Th birthday. I’m 40 now. Just recently I found it. On my sister in laws hand. I don’t think it’s the same thing.
    Love the booger story. I would have changed Dr.s also.

9. I am starting to feel that way about the manual for my camera. I know I can download one and print it, but I want the little portable one for my camera bag. The one that’s so portable that it went somewhere and now it’s lost!

Congratulations on finding the glasses!

Yes, I lost some articles of clothing years back and never did find out where they had been misplaced. It was a favorite outfit of mine, too. I have pictures of myself in that outfit, but never figured out where I left it. I am sure it was on a trip of some kind. Just yesterday, my husband lost a brand new cell phone. I know we will never retrieve it, so we gave up immediately trying to find it and he reverted back to using his old cell phone for the time being. I called his cell phone with mine and listened for the ring, but it was nowhere to be found. (We had just returned from a weekend trip to the casino, so that is where it ended up, I suppose). We called security, lost and found, Sprint, and now we closed the case and quit our search. I am happy you found the glasses that the Wild Boar was missing all this time. I know the feeling you experienced when they were found. Closure at last.

11. That happeneds to me all the time. I always find it after I buy a new one. Works everytime!

12. Cathy at Wives with Knives 12

It drives me crazy when I can’t find stuff. Glad you found the glasses. Dozens of socks disappear between going into my washer and coming out. I’ve lost my best argyle. Rats.

13. I cannot keep up with anything. At all.

14. Jenn 14

I’ve had enough things go missing in my apartment that I’m starting to blame a ghost! Like the remote for my TV, which I lost between the computer chair and the window mere feet apart. The little container with all the games for my Nintendo DS. The canister of film (yes, film.) from my trip to Toledo to meet friends I’ll probably never see again.

That’s hilarious. Kind of like looking for your glasses & they’re on top of your head.

Hubby’s wedding ring disappeared right after we first moved in to our house 23 years ago. We’re still hopeful…

16. Trisha 16

Personally, I think gnomes take things and then put them back just to mess with our minds!

17. Kimberly 17

You know, Chris gets mad at me when I become “obessed” looking for those lost items. However, I find what was once missing. :)

18. Back in 1999 when I was getting ready to trade one car in for another, I found something that I thought had been lost for 2 years. Back when I initially lost it, I thought it was THE.END.OF.THE.WORLD.

At the time, I had been dating someone I was working with…a huge no-no when you work in radio. Well it *used* to be a huge no-no. Anyhow this certain someone had made me a ring out of sterling silver and amethyst. If we couldn’t talk about dating, I had this pretty little trinket to wear to always remind me he was thinking about me.

I remember losing it like it was yesterday! I had just put lotion on my hands without taking the ring off. Sure enough it slipped off and fell into some hidden abyss in the car. I looked everywhere. He looked everywhere. We even took it to a car detailer who had a hand-held container car-vac and he vacuumed the thing out and no ring was sucked up, or found…but he did manage to fish out a $5 bill.

I was heartbroken. Inconsolable for two entire weeks until he made me another one, this time with a garnet on it. It wasn’t even a week after the gift of that ring that we stopped dating.

Fast forward 2 years and as I’m signing the papers and about to drive away in my brand new car, the sales guy comes running out and stops me and holds his hand out. Turns out that they had already started to clean the car up to send to their used car part of the dealership and one of the techs working on the car had found….THE RING.

It had been underneath the brake pedal. Ironic.

Sorry for the novel. Your post just brought that incident back in a flood of bittersweet and humorous memories.

19. You totally have to read my blog today!!

20. krysta 20

i wish i knew where my wedding ring was… your story gives me hope that i find it

21. I love it when I find things I’ve lost! Especially money. When you reach into a pocket and find a few buck. It’s the best feeling in the world.

Yes, I found something, a piece of jewelery after 10 years. There is hope and there is nothing like knowing what happened to it.

23. Rindy R 23

Better to find it in the seat of the car – then on an
    x-ray in someone’s torso! I can see why a surgeon would want closure on something like that – tee hee!

24. KAYOLA 24

Seriously…it is so crazy how things you know were full well there a minute ago….that happens ALL the time here…so glad you found them…closure IS always good!

25. Joni-MI 25

SO STRANGE.. This happened to us recently, too! My husband’s favorite pair of prescription glasses for driving had disappeared mysteriously. Well, we’ve looked and looked and looked some more. And a week or two ago, I was doing some intensive spring cleaning and found them way under our bed? WEIRD! They must have fallen and been kicked accidentally to get that far back!

Closure is good. I can’t believe they were there for 6 years!

27. Julie 27

Six years IS a long time..amazing. My son always has to have a toy car in his hand (he’s autistic) and his certain favorite car at the time was a little blue plastic one. During one of his (thankfully rare) meltdowns he gave it a good fling and we couldn’t find it to save our lives (which didn’t help the meltdown). Many many months later, maybe a year, I found it in the oddest place in the kitchen. He didn’t really care about it anymore…go figure.

28. Does he still have the same prescription, Cathy ?

I hate that! I’m always losing things. Most of the time I never find them though. There certainly is something to be said for closure. :)

30. imom 30

Closure is good! I lost my credit card in exactly that spot in my car, probably after getting gas. We ended up having to cancel the card and get a new one which was a huge pain. I found the card a couple months later while cleaning out the car. I didn’t tell my husband, I just cut it up and threw it away.

31. My mother wanted a gold “dress up” watch for Christmas for a few years and finally my dad got it for her. By the next Christmas it had vanished. She searched all over the house for it & couldn’t find it so my dad was very sweet and got her another one. She found the first one at the bottom of the freezer at Thanksgiving. My dad gave her a cheap gold colored plastic watch for Christmas that year.
    Now that she is gone, both my sister & I have one of her dress up watches. (I don’t know what happened to the cheap one)

32. I lost 4 antique clock faces that I had found and purchased from Etsy to use as accessories with my folk art…they were missing for several month and I swear I looked everywhere for these things..including the place I ended up finding them…I found them in a small box by my sewing machine…I know i looked in that box at least 4 times and NEVER saw them in there….I looked in there the other day..and there they were! Very strange.

33. I once lost a head of broccoli. Found it on the front lawn. My son used it as a darned football, for pete’s sake.

34. I’ve done that many times. I did it a lot as a kid, misplacing a particular toy for months only to find it while looking for something else. I was always delighted to find what I had misplaced earlier. It usually overshadowed what I was looking for in the first place.

35. Lo! 35

You know, I lost an earring last winter… and found it in the parking lot here on campus in the spring. I can’t believe the plows didn’t plow it away with the snow, and that it wasn’t more banged up. Not sure I even cared by the time I found it — but closure is definitely nice. And sometimes amazing.

36. Oh wow, I’m happy to hear they finally turned up. I LOVE that feeling. I wish that would happen with my two favourite sweaters that mysteriously disappeared last winter! One was a brand new, expensive, designer label sweater that fit just perfectly. Sigh.

37. Marcy 37

Yay for the return of the glasses!

38. Yippee!! That is a good feeling. Most of the time we find lost items, but it can takes months. I had a favorite pair of earrings and I lost one while camping at our mtn property. Every time we went, I would spend a good hour looking at the ground trying to find it. It was antiqued silver and black onyx, so not too shiny and hard to spot on the ground. But, about six months later I did find it. These were French wire earrings with no little rubber backing to ensure they’d stay on. Well, a few months later, the same earring fell off while we were on the bleachers watching our son play soccer. It was clear it fell underneath the bleachers and could potentially have been rescued again except for all the poison ivy growing in that very spot. Anyway, I love lost and found stories.

39. Dee 39

6 years is a looong time! I’m going to check between the seats for my mind :)

40. elra 40

After six year? wow…
    at least you found it now.
    I don’t think I have similar experience, maybe a few days, not 6 yrs. Almost LOL!
    Cheers,
    elra

41. Cheryl 41

There IS satisfaction in the eventual find…when it actually happens. We found all my missing high school photo albums and yearbooks that had been missing for YEARS…when we were clearing the detritus, sludge and ruins from our hurricane flooded basement. :(

As sad as it was, at least we found them…

42. Cath, I know you won’t believe me because I am Jewish, but I pray to St. Anthony, the Catholic (my husband’s Catholic) patron saint of lost things when I lose something, and I swear I find the item EVERY TIME! Now that’s scary!
    He is my favorite (& only) Saint!

43. Leslie 43

6 years?? I cant believe you found them after 6 years!!! lol

I love when that happens! It’s like a gift. And now you can rest easy.

45. Rebel 45

I’m constantly puttin’ things in a safe place but it’s so safe I can never find it! I hate that.

This made me laugh because we went through this a few weeks ago. I lost my favorite reading glasses, frames that I haven’t been able to find anywhere else, but completely replaceable with a quick trip to the nearest drugstore. We checked the car. Double checked it. Only to have the glasses almost fall out the door a few days later.

47. I couldn’t comment on the cornbread post, but this looks so good! Cranberries, butter, cornmeal? Sign me up!