Citrus Fish with Bell Pepper Couscous

Halibut is by far my favorite fish.  I love salmon, but not like my halibut.

I love its versatility, taking on any flavor you throw its way.  This recipe for Citrus Fish with Bell Pepper Couscous would also work well with mahi mahi or orange roughy but halibut is by far my first choice.

With the fish marinating in orange, lemon and lime juice it really explodes with all the fresh, delicate flavors.

The couscous is also the perfect complement with a great contrasting texture.

Simple and easy to make, it’s an easy choice for a weeknight or weekend dinner.

Let’s make it…

Here’s what you will need:  Halibut fillets, flat-leaf parsley, fresh lemon juice and zest, fresh lime juice and zest, fresh orange juice and zest plus segments of another orange, fresh thyme, red bell pepper, green onion, chicken stock (or broth) and couscous.  Ingredients not shown:  Extra-virgin olive oil and hot pepper sauce.

In a small, shallow bowl, combine 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 1/3 cup flat-leaf parsley, juice and zest of 1 lemon, juice and zest of 1 lime, the juice and zest of one orange, 1 Tablespoon hot pepper sauce (I used Frank’s) and 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme.  Season with salt and pepper.  Add the fish and let marinate for at least 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat the remaining 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil over medium heat.  Add the bell pepper and green onion, season with salt and pepper, cooking until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.

Add 2-1/2 cups chicken stock (or broth), bringing to a boil over high heat.  Stir in 1-1/2 cups couscous.  Turn off the heat, cover and keep warm.

While the veggies and couscous are cooking, preheat a grill pan to medium.  Grill the fish until cooked through, about 3 minutes on each side.

You are going to love this.  Sprinkle with leftover thyme if you have it.

Citrus Fish with Bell Pepper Couscous
Adapted from Rachel Ray

3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
Juice and zest of 1 lime
Juice and zest of 1 orange
1 orange, segmented and chopped
1 Tablespoon hot pepper sauce
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
Salt and pepper
Four 6- to 8- ounce fillets halibut, mahi mahi or orange roughy
1 red bell pepper, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
2-1/2 cups chicken stock (or broth)
1-1/2 cups couscous

In a small, shallow bowl, combine 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, flat-leaf parsley, juice and zest of 1 lemon, juice and zest of 1 lime, the juice and zest of one orange, hot pepper sauce (I used Frank’s) and thyme.  Season with salt and pepper.  Add the fish and let marinate for at least 30 minutes.

Add chicken stock (or broth), bringing to a boil over high heat.  Stir couscous.  Turn off the heat, cover and keep warm.

Fluff the couscous, then mix in the chopped orange segments.  Serve with the fish.  Sprinkle with leftover thyme if you have it.

What I Was Cooking Up One Year Ago Today:  Hello Belgium, You Had Me At Waffles

1. deeba 1

You had me there Cathy. What an explosion of fresh flavour. I don’t do fish too often (read hardly ever), but if I were to, then this would certainly be my choice!

2. HALIBUT is by far MY favorite fish. I’m just barely being able to handle salmon, but halibut is about the only fish I LOVE. I have eaten a few of the other white fish, but they don’t even compare to halibut. This looks SO good. Whenever we go out, if they have halibut on the menu, it’s what I get. I want this for dinner tonight. Wanna come over–and make it of course. I’ll make cookies! 😉

3. Oh how I wish I liked fish. I REALLY REALLY wish I did. This looks wonderful. My hubby LOVES fish and seafood and this would be something he’d really enjoy. For him, I could make this. Maybe not eat it, but I’d make it!

4. I have only had halibut once – and that was recent a few months back, this recipe looks wonderful to try my own hand at making halibut. The seasonings are right up my alley!

5. I opened your blog, saw the top of the picture and went “Couscous!” I love couscous. I think it should be used more. Then I could find it in my backwoods grocery store. Just for the Halibut! :)

6. Looks like the perfect meal to me! I had fish last night too. I wish I could eat it more often but we do not get much fresh fish this far inland. I usually have to get TJ’s flash frozen stuff.

7. I think what I love about halibut is it’s almost meaty texture…a fish with substance. This dish is well over the droolworthy scale.

Love your recipes. Keep them coming. I tried to Corn & Salsa Tortilla soup 2 nights ago and the kids loved it.

9. As always, wonderful! Halibut is great, I could eat it everyday.

I just love how you slice it; that is the perfect way to cook fish.
    You’re right I will love this. I am printing this one out. Really nicely done Cath.

11. Halibut is my favorite too! I love the colors in this!

12. This would be awesome on the grill in the summer time. I’ll be bookmarking this and saving it for when the weather is a little bit better to do it!

13. Medena 13

So perfect! Not my kind of fish, I am not really crazy for fish, but I do have several kinds which I do like, and this dinner is a great idea. Can’t wait for the grilling season to start, it’s still so brrrrr here, yesterday we had -2 F. Love the couscous side!

14. Sara 14

That really does look like the perfect meal – I also love halibut.

15. Maureen 15

Halibut is my favorite fish as well! I can’t wait until I start seeing fresh halibut in our local stores. Your recipe looks amazing! What wine did you have with this dish?

16. Kiki 16

Well that looks good!
    HP brought some fresh oranges & lemons from his dad’s house, so we will have to try to make this for dinner tomorrow!

17. I don’t cook fish very often-I find it intimidating…and I only like white fish, no salmon or “steak” fishes…but I have to say this looks really good. I might be giving it a try soon!

18. Marlene 18

I don’t eat fish…ever. I might try yours becaue it does look good, but I am really not that big of a fish person. Now, shell fish is a different story.

19. Halibut is one of my favorites as well. I love your citrus flavors with the halibut – excellent recipe!

Talk about a feast for the eyes! What a gorgeous dish. Next time I go back to the fish market in San Antonio, I’m getting some halibut. I’m not sure what they have here is actually Halibut.

21. elra 21

Couscous is one of my family favorite dish. They can it plain or with spices and veggies. This one look really good.
    Cheers,
    Elra

22. Scott 22

This halibut looks fantastic! It is my favorite fish too and your marinade looks outstanding! Nice photogs!

23. i’m just proud that you refrained from using the phrase ‘just for the halibut.’

i lived in alaska for a summer and the halibut was by far my favorite. we ate it sushi style, fresh from the ocean, with orange ginger infushion. SO GOOD.

24. I already had tilipia thawing for tonight, so I am totally using this recipe.

25. The marinade sounds awesome!Love all the flavours.

26. Louise 26

Beautiful! Glad to see someone else using couscous … it is so versatile and yummy!

27. Thanks for posting this. My husband will love it as he also loves halibut. I always need fish recipes since I can’t really come up with them on my own (it’s hard to know if your own recipe is good if you won’t eat it :-D).

It’s pretty too. You have great color on these.

28. I love everything about this meal. Your citrus marinade sounds fantastic.

29. This looks wonderful. I love how “clean” all the flavors seem – it looks like a very vibrant dish.

I’ve never had halibut, I’ll have to try this out.

Kathy I really need to stop this habit I have of coming here and wanting to make all these wonderful things. I adore halibut…my favorite fish. This looks so good. AGAIN!

wow–that’s high praise indeed! it seems like a lovely dish through and through, and i’ll remember that you think so highly of halibut the next time i summon the courage to try fish. :)

33. Oh I will definitely be making this! Looks delicious and healthy!!

34. Halibut here on the opposite coast is rare and around $15 – $17/lb. I love it, too. That said, bet this would be delicious with cod (my favorite fish of the moment). If I can’t get halibut, I’m making this with cod! Looks like a wonderful dish, Cathy.

35. I can never seem to get in the mood to make fish when it’s cold outside. But my husband started to complain that I never make anything healthy, and that all the heavy food we’ve been eating is going to send us straight to the cardiologist. This looks like a fish recipe I could definitely get excited to make!

36. Leslie 36

Delish as always Cathy!

What a beautiful meal. I love how healthy and colorful it is! Halibut is my favorite fish too.

Being allergic to peppers, there are many things off my list. But I do love a good piece of white fish (actually, better than salmon), and with colorful toppings and sides, it can’t be beat!

39. Cathy,
    Halibut is my favorite fish…and I swear I am making it tonight….however, since it’s hard to find on the east coast during Feb. I was forced to buy Trader Joe’s frozen halibut steaks (have never purchased frozen fish in my life!).
    I will keep you posted!
    Stacey

40. Elyse 40

Yum! You’re right: this is the perfect meal. I love halibut–so tender, yet substantial. Pair it with couscous, and I’m golden. This meal looks delicious!

OMG this is a beautiful recipe. I too love halibut and how it takes on flavors. You did good here!

42. HALIBUT! Have I told you how much I love halibut? (Swoons)

43. Lo! 43

Oh, what finery! That is one beautiful dish… and halibut!! My kingdom for a plate of halibut.

44. kayola 44

That looks delish…I wish my hubby would eat seafood…I’ll make it for myself if he leaves over the weekend sometime…

45. Sandie 45

Beautiful AND tasty! What more could you ask for in a meal?!

46. That looks like my kind of cooking, eating. I mean that in a really big complimentary way. Clean, bright, tasty, healthy, delicious. I could eat it off the screen.

47. I am so glad you wrote I can make this with mahi-mahi.. I love how this dish sounds. Over the top delicious! Beautiful. I can’t even say enough good things about it. It really looks that good!

48. Soma 48

This is a stunning combination of colors & flavors. I make fish atleast 3 times a week & will definitely use these flavors!! Thanks for sharing..

U have a wonderful wonderful place here.

49. Deborah 49

I should make halibut more often. I do salmon a lot, but I really need to branch out!

50. imom 50

I have yet to master cooking halibut. I’ll have to give this recipe a whirl! It looks and sounds delicious.

51. Monica 51

Wow, every single thing you make looks absolutely fabulous!

52. I love halibut! Your dish looks excellent. I’m making this dish for Lent fasting.

53. this is great for lent! thanks!

54. Rebel 54

Oh man, I love Halibut too.

55. I love halibut too, and I think I may even love couscous more. This dish is perfect for me. Looks absolutely fantastic!

56. Citrus is where it’s at! We can’t get enough!

57. Julie 57

Yum! Just one more reason for me to copy you :)

58. I am such a fish lover! This looks absolutely delicious. Put on some quinoa or brown rice instead of couscous and I am there. :-)

Shirley

59. ashley 59

this looks sooo fabulous and fresh!

60. Amber 60

Oh my, that looks so good. Really good. I love halibut, salmon, lobster, crab and prawns. But fresh halibut is really hard to beat. This makes me think of one reason why I love California, fresh, real food.

61. KathyB. 61

I just printed this recipe up to take shopping . I think this will make a perfect Sunday meal. Thanks.

Mmm, mmm, good! My hubbyman likes halibut, and this looks awesome! I know if I make it, I’ll be hearing “just for the hal-i-but” jokes for days! :-)

63. I’ve just discovered your blog and I love it. The halibut and couscous sound terrific. Great photos too.
    Sam

64. Melissa 64

I swear that screams out to be made simply because all the colors photograph so beautifully. 😉

Seriously good stuff there Cathy. I’ve never made halibut at home, but this is recipe number 2 in two weeks that I am hanging on to.

65. oh my god, i’m whining now. Please, please be my neighbour and take pity on me and feed me your golden nectar. My god! We had white rice and chick peas tonight. SAVE ME!

66. I feel so silly, but I can’t believe that I haven’t tried couscous before. I guess all that watching people making couscous the very complicated way from cooking shows scared the crap outta me…*making a mental note to try*

I love halibut, I generally just steam them or pop them in the oven. This post makes me want to get that grill pan T_T (oh shopaholic). I want a beautifully striped halibuttttt

67. Colby 67

I made this last night and it was delicious. I had to substitute tilapia for halibut…but it was still good. I would have preferred halibut but already had tilapia in the house and was too lazy to go to the store.

68. Olivia 68

I adore couscous. I made some coconut couscous last week that you cooked in coconut milk and water instead of chicken stock..oh my gosh it’s fantastic.