White Bean Dip

If this is white bean dip, then why is it green?  I’ll get to that.

But I would like to say…This. Is. The. Best. White. Bean. Dip. I. Have. Ever. Had.  I know that’s weird to say about bean dip but seriously, it is the best.

I think it’s the combination of flavors here, which are some of my favorite…garlic, rosemary and Parmesan really give flavor to the lowly Cannellini bean.  Who knew it could be elevated to such status.

And it only takes 5 minutes to make.  Another plus.

And the color?  It’s the addition of green onion and rosemary giving this white bean spread its green visage.

Is your Super Bowl Party shaping up yet?  Add this to the festivities.

Let’s make this together…

Here’s all you need:  Cannellini beans (or Great Northern Beans), extra-virgin olive oil, green onions, fresh rosemary, Parmesan cheese and garlic.  Ingredients not shown:  Salt.

In the bowl of a food processor add one 15-ounce can Cannellini beans, 1/4 cup chopped green onions, 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, 1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, 2 cloves of minced garlic and 3/4 teaspoon salt.

Pulse it in the food processor, about 30 seconds, until mixture is almost smooth.

Spoon the dip into a serving dish and drizzle olive oil over the top.  Garnish with green onion and rosemary if desired.

Find as many cute little dishes as you can to serve this dip.

Serve with bagel chips and rustic bread slices.  It’s so, so good.

White Bean Spread
Adapted from Appetizer Recipes

1 15-ounce can Cannellini beans (or Great Northern Beans)
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3/4 teaspoon salt

Serve with bagel chips and rustic bread slices.

Love it! That last photo is amazing. Makes me want to dig right in!

2. Hilary 2

I agree the photos are very good & entice us to want to try the recipe .. I too love dips and nibbles .. & the cannellini dip looks really delicious

Goody, this looks very simple, something that even I can make. Those seasonings happen to be all my favorites too. So this is definitely one I will make. Superbowl is going to be great….at least the food will be! Thanks for the recipe.

4. That does look really delish and I might even be able to have a little of that too. I am making a master list of all these app recipes so I can find them during Daytona Week in February.

I just love your cooking…are you going to write a cook book? I want one…of course it will have to be signed, to my best buddie, Marlene!!!

Love you Cathy…have a great day.

5. nina 5

This dip really is hypnotizing me me….I have looked in my cupboards already to check for some white beans, but I’ll have to make a trip to the grocery store first.. Looks delicious!

6. YUM YUM YUM! I can have this on my Sonoma Diet!

7. That’s it! I’m making this!

8. WOW, not only is it beautiful, but I love the ingredients. GREAT recipe

9. Cath,
    I make the same dip but with roasted garlic. It is so yummy, but mine is never green!
    I will add more herbs next time!
    Stace

10. Another one to add to the V Day party menu (we go to my sister and BIL’s house for Super Bowl and I’ve already been requested to bring another favorite)! I love the green coloring. Parmesan cheese and green onions are what elevate this dip to the “must have” list for me. :-)
    Thanks for another great, simple recipe, Cathy! Shirley

11. Another knockout appetizer. I’m in real trouble. But beans are good for us…right?

12. Oh I love the simplicity of that dip! Plus it looks and sounds delicious–definitely putting it on my list!

13. Hello Cathy, I just discovered your blog – and I can’t begin to describe how much I’ve enjoyed going through the archives! Not only are you a brilliant writer, but your recipes are delicious and the photos just make my mouth water! :)

So, a big thank you from a reader in Reykjavik, Iceland!

14. tipper 14

I could make a meal out of this!

15. ELRA 15

I am a visual person, anything look this pretty, I’ll eat it. Even if that will give me gassimus maximus!
    Cheers,
    Elra

16. I’ve never seen bagel chips before. They look great. I am totally making this.

17. imom 17

You are doing a great job of getting us Superbowl ready! I bought garbanzo beans to make yesterday’s recipe! I can’t wait.

18. Biz 18

Wow, that looks great! Although I would have to leave out the onions!

Happy Saturday!

19. I adore the “green visage”! The glint of olive oil in the photos makes it extra-inviting :-)

20. sharon 20

purrrr. Yes, that’s me purring over this delicious dip!!

Geeze Loueeze! If I make all this scrumptious food for the Super Bowl, I suppose I’m going to have to have a party or find one. Then, I’ll be looking for a Gym, lol.

However, this I will make for my own little self. Yum!

22. This is one of my favorite quick appetizers to make. It never lasts long once the guests arrive. I love the little bowl you are serving yours in as well. It’s too cute!

23. Katrina 23

Move over hummus!

24. I saw the Trader’s Joe label on the beans and it REALLY made me wish we had TJ’s around here. *sigh* alas, we don’t, so I’m stuck using Hannaford brand.

Personally I think the colour of the bean dip is gorgeous and it sounds equally yummy too!

25. Leslie 25

this does sound like a wonderful flavor combonation

26. katie 26

Ok so I’m dying here because all these dips sound delicious and white bean dip is one of my personal favs but I can’t see the pictures! Noooooo! It’s me not you so don’t go into blog panic mode, but man I can’t wait to get to a real computer…

Cathy your photo’s are so perfect!
    I love bean dip too, and it’s one of the healthier apps I can devour without guilt.

28. What are you trying to do…kill me?!

This stuff looks soooo gooood. I’d make this anytime and hog it all to myself!

29. KAYOLA 29

YUMMMMM…..Where do you come up with all your de-lish stuff….OH MY STARS! Seriously…if I feed all the guys these good foods they’ll never leave after the super bowl…hmmmmm…

30. Laurie 30

Cathy, I’m beginning to realize that I won’t have to go anywhere else but here for Superbowl party recipes. Wow, this one looks great!

31. Cheryl 31

Mmmmm….plus cannellinis are extra proteiny (that’s a word, isn’t it?) aren’t they? She child is seemingly the anti-protein, but if it’s a dip (like hummus) she’s faked out. HELLLLOOOOO, bean dip. (and if I happen to get a taste or two, that’s be okay, too)

(Having some Gnarly Head Old Vine Zin—had to pop by!)

Oh heavens above does this look fantastic! I love white beanie dip and make it often, but this recipe is definitely one that I’ll try. Tonight. Seriously. My littlest one and hubbyman will elbow each other out of the way to get at this. YUM!

33. I’m so making this tomorrow. YUM! (and the photos are gorgeous!!)

34. I love white bean dips, and this one looks delicious and easy. A nice alternative to hummus.

You must have a file that has nothing but footall food in it Cathy, I LOVE that little dish!

36. It was too cold today to go to the grocery store for chick peas, but I have everything I need for this one in the pantry and fridge. Also just made a loaf of brioche so I’m totally making this to snack on tomorrow. Thanks!

37. Okay so I made the Garbanzo bean recipe yesterday and my husband loved them sooo much I had to make a double batch today!! Now this dip looks yummy I wonder how much yummier it would be with white truffle oil drizzled over it as well

That is simply gorgeous. I’m bookmarking it!

39. Rebel 39

Mmmm, it looks good. We’re havin’ company for football tomorrow, ugh, I guess it’s today now, anyhoo, I’m gonna make this. Thanks

40. Ok, um. GAWD! This looks incredible—must. buy. ingredients.

beans in an easy-to-consume form are always welcome. the color is just icing on the cake (in a manner of speaking…). :)

42. We make hummus all the time here, so this will be a nice change. Yum. I love the color.

43. This looks good. I love your blog. The recipes are fantastic!

44. My go-to white bean dip is really similar, but I squeeze in a lemon and there are no green onions. However, since it IS my go-to, I’ve made it so many times that I’m craving something different – which is where this comes in! So sure am I that this dip will be a winner that I’m going to make it tomorrow night when we have people coming over for dinner. Woot!!!

45. Rosa 45

What gorgeous photos! This dip looks extremely delicious! Addictive!

cheers,

Rosa

46. Just made this for dinner and served it with home made brioche and a meatloaf and potato soup. It was PERFECT! I did add a squeeze of Meyer lemon but other than that followed the recipe to the letter:-)

47. Grace 47

Hi Cathy: I made your white bean spread and the spicy garbanzo beans tonight. I wanted to test them out before serving them at a family get together. They were both delicious! Thanks for two new favourites!

48. Hayley 48

I make a very similar white bean dip, and it’s always a huge hit at parties. Homemade pita chips make it so much more special, and tasty. I can’t wait to try out your version. Thanks!

49. Ana 49

gah this looks good. i love white beans but haven’t done anything for (or with) them lately. thanks for the recipe- can’t wait to try it.

i might even heat it up before i devour it, if i can manage to be that patient.

50. vanessa 50

Sneaky bean dip, looks like guac!

Sounds so tasty though.. adding it to my app recipes folder. So many recipes to try!

51. Yup, this sounds pretty perfect. Think I’ll make (and eat!) a batch tonight. Yum, thanks for posting it!

52. marci 52

I made this last night with pizza dough breadsticks. It was awesome, especially after 30 minutes in the fridge for the flavors to combine. Thanks!

53. Gayle 53

This IS delicious I took a taste before it went into the fridge so the flavors can blend. Taking it, along with a batch of your dinner rolls to the neighbors’ for Christmas supper. Thanks for, yet, another delicious recipe.

54. That looks so yummy. No wonder I have chosen to write food essay in our essay project because I think Gluttony also is my sin of choice. :-)

55. People deserve wealthy life time and credit loans or car loan would make it better. Just because freedom is based on money.

56. Alison 56

I made as written today and it was WAY too salty. If making this recipe, check to see if your beans are already salted, which most are. If so, try it without the added salt first. The salt from the beans plus the parmesan was overwhelming for me.

57. buzzkehl 57