Spicy Roasted Chickpeas

You have a choice to be a nibbler or not.  I am definitely a nibbler.

I haven’t always been like this but ever since the kids were in high chairs the nibbling seemed to take on a life of its own.

A goldfish cracker here, a stray froot loop there.  It starts to add up and calorie debt gets expensive in the form of having to buy new pants.

So in an effort to have things around here to nibble on that are not soooooooooo fattening, I present to you Spicy Roasted Chickpeas.  However, here’s the problem, they taste FANTASTICAL with beer.  Like ridiculously FANTASTICAL.  Better than nuts I think.  I swear it’s a no win situation.

Oh well, put these out with the beer and watch them disappear.  Sigh.  But don’t forget the lime wedges, those are key.

Let’s make these up shall we…

Here’s what you will need:  Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans), there is only one can showing but you need two (sue me), olive oil, chili powder, ground red pepper (cayenne), salt, pepper and fresh limes.

Rinse two 15-ounce cans of chickpeas in a colander.  Drain them well, shaking the colander to remove as much water as possible.  It’s okay to take out a bit of aggression on the peas, they won’t mind.

In a medium sized bowl, combine rinsed chickpeas, 3 Tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.  Mix well to coat the chickpeas.  Spread the chickpeas out on a foil lined baking sheet, one large enough to hold chickpeas in a single layer.

Bake in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes or until chickpeas begin to brown, shaking pan twice during baking.

Remove chickpeas from the oven.  In a small bowl, combine 1 Tablespoon chili powder and 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper.  Place the mixture in a small sieve to sprinkle over the cooked chickpeas.  Bake another 5 minutes or until a dark, golden-red.

Here is the dark golden-red.

Do not forget to serve these with lime wedges.  It’s very important.

I’ll take a few hundred please.

Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
Adapted from Best Holiday Appetizers

2 15-ounce cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
Lime wedges

Rinse chickpeas in a colander.  Drain them well, shaking the colander to remove as much water as possible.  It’s okay to take out a bit of aggression on the peas, they won’t mind.

In a medium sized bowl, combine rinsed chickpeas, olive oil, salt and black pepper.  Mix well to coat the chickpeas.  Spread the chickpeas out on a foil lined baking sheet, one large enough to hold chickpeas in a single layer.

Remove chickpeas from the oven.  In a small bowl, combine chili powder and ground red pepper.  Place the mixture in a small sieve to sprinkle over the cooked chickpeas.  Bake another 5 minutes or until a dark, golden-red.

Do not forget to serve these with lime wedges.

1. Diane 1

Oh yes! This is a fantastic recipe. I’ve done something similar a while ago with chick peas (2009 should be year of the chick pea!)
    Another idea to try is peas. There are some indian snacks with deep fried spiced peas that you could also do in the oven.
    Your pictures as always look great too!

2. deeba 2

And I’ll nibble on another 100!! What shall I say Cathy..mmmmmmmmm…these are irresistibly nibbly!! In a country where we have more chickpeas than we need, this is a super way to serve them. Chilled beer & protein-YAY!! My boy might just like this way of eating them. Absolutely love the idea…& cannot thank blogging & bloggers enough for deliciuos nibbles like these!

3. Ross 3

Hi Cathy,

Rabid admirer here! This looks like another big hit, but I have quick question… you mention a couple of times that the limes are a critical part of this dish, but I’m not making the connection as to their utilization. Can you help me out? Thanks!

I’m a nibbler too! These look like a perfect snack to have around!

5. Becky 5

I am also a nibbler. And has afforded me the same price of new pants. *sigh*
    I have never eaten chick peas. Never!
    I may have to try this just to say I have eaten “chick peas”.

6. I use a similar recipe and every time I make it, I am just blown away by how incredibly good roasted chickpeas are! I can’t wait to try your particular recipe, but with a gluten-free beer. ;-) BTW, a gluten-free blogger friend of mine, Kate, swears by FRIED chickpeas. She said the delish factor is multiplied exponentially! link to glutenfree.wordpress.com

7. Sammia 7

Nibbles. Not soooo fattening. I hear ya.

I found a recipe for spicy roasted chickpeas elsewhere on the web and tried it out. I was so disappointed with the chewy results. Even the dog wouldn’t eat them (though on reflection that’s probably no bad thing as a 45 kilo dog with spicy-chickpea-induced diarrhoea is not something you’d want to introduce to your new boyfriend).

This looks MUCH better. Can’t wait to try it out.

8. Sammia 8

Nibbles. Not soooo fattening. I hear ya.

This looks MUCH better. Can’t wait to try it out.

Peas Please! Wow, these look fantastic. They will be a big hit at any Superbowl Party. Bring out the tub of beer and the bowl of peas. Now you’re talkin’.

10. Katrina 10

I love all things popable, that’s why I prefer M&M’s over a candy bar. Not always a good thing. I have seen Rachel Ray toast these in a dry skillet, but I’m going to have to try your method. I have everything but limes right now. Do you just squirt lime juice over them?
    Yum, Cathy, yum!

11. I love these. And I can have 1/2 cup of them today!

12. I haven’t had a chickpea in ages. It’s funny how you can forget about a certain food and then someone brings it up in a recipe (like this) or you hear about it elsewhere and boom! Like a flood, the memory of the last time you had anything to do with one, comes flooding back.

1992. We had to take my then, 2 year old twins into the pediatrician to have two chickpeas removed. One in each of their nostrils. Meg shoved one up Matt’s nose and then Matt returned the favour.

Fun times I tell ya, fun times.

I wonder, if now, more than 16 years later if I can make these and trust Meg not to shove any up her nose?

13. Yum…these look really good. I’m going to have to make some and have some beer!

I’ve recently tried to recruit one of my sisters into the chick pea lovers circle but it was futile. This is a great snack alternative…shoving in some extra fiber as well.

I’m definitely adding this recipe to my Superbowl menu! They look awesome and healthier than chips:)

16. I recently saw these elsewhere, and now seeing them on your blog, with as always, your gorgeous and amazing photos included – these are a must for any super bowl party coming up – oh heck, for any party or gathering coming up…. from yesterday’s dish which I had to save to this days ‘must save and bookmark’ recipe… I thank you, its always amazing and interesting to learn what you share presenting us readers with interesting twists to what was once mundane and has since been now transformed into unique tasty Noble Pig twists…. I bow down to you my noble pig, I bow down….”I am not worthy” – lol

17. Tallie 17

Those look snackalicious!! I love chick peas… yum!

18. Oh this one is nice and different! I’ll take a beer with these. And I won’t forget the limes!

19. Kiki 19

Since chick-peas have protein, do these count as a healthy snack?

20. These look really good. And I love pretty much anything with limes!

21. Kayola 21

Those sound soooooooooo good! I will be washing them down with a diet coke. It is true every BLT will get you….every bite, lick and taste…I am a nibbler…sad but true!!!

I nibble. Does that sound better than picking, which is what I’ve always called it? Breakfast is 2 or 3 saltines, sometimes with peanut butter. There might be a pear slice, a half slice of homemade bread, one of this, one of that, etc. I am saved by the fact that there are so many people in my house that, sadly, usually I only have saltines available, and I’m just not that fond of salt.

23. Mary 23

I can tell this is a “can’t have just one peanut” treat designed to destroy my resolve. I’d love to call what I do nibbling, but I, unfortunately, eat – really eat!

24. Carol 24

Oh yeah….I’d be in trouble with these for sure. What a great healthy snack! That’s what I’m gonna keep telling myself when I go back to the bowl OVER and OVER which I know I will….hmmmm…might give these a whirl over the weekend for football playoff watching!

25. OMG – I love chickpeas!!! This looks fabulous! I am making these asap!!!

Oooh! The Girl is going to love these. As will everyone else, except The Boy of course. I can’t wait to try them!

27. Hmm- so does one squeeze the lime on top of their handful or the whole platter? I’m confused. Sounds delicious though!

Whoa, those look tasty. I love chickpeas and would devour these.
    Do they have a crunchy texture? Love it! Thanks for sharing this one Cath.

29. Maureen 29

I have seen other bloggers talk about these, and I still haven’t made them. I love garbanzo beans! Great idea with the lime!

30. imom 30

Once again you’ve given me another recipe to try. These look amazing! I’m off to make a shopping list.

31. Cathy 31

Just squeeze the limes over the top!

32. ELRA 32

Sadly, I am not so fond of chick peas, but my husband really like it. Very often I made soup, falafel, or anything that has chickpeas in it, just for him. And I make something else for myself. I am sure he’ll love this one too. Look really delicious, Cathy!
    Cheers,
    Elra

33. Claire 33

Oooh, these look good, except that neither of us likes cayenne or chili pepper. Sooo…I’m going to try them with smoked sweet paprika and hickory salt instead. Or another batch with ginger and soy.

34. Cathy 34

Squeeze the lime on your own personal serving in case someone likes them without the lime.

35. Cathy,
    If I lived at your house I’d weigh 400 pounds from all the yummy goodies you like to bake and cook :)

Nice, those look wicked good. I have a sister in law who is nutty about chick peas, I will have to send her a link.

37. I am defintely a nibbler. (Naturally, I LOVE choices!) This recipe looks FANTASTIC! Chickpeas on the market list! Can’t wait! : D

38. Those are way more sophisticated than Goldfish! Mmmm–they sound so good w/ lime!

39. I really do not have a choice. I must make them. Though I should probably make sure there is no beer around… Typical for this time of year, but I’m really trying to be a little better with my decisions :)

40. Lo! 40

OK — am drooling.
    Seriously — these are perfect for our weekend plans. Good timing :)

41. Rachel 41

Yum Cathy! Thanks!!

42. Oh man, these look delicious! Thank you for sharing!

What an awesome snack. I love garbanzo beans but have never roasted them before – you are so darn clever!

44. I’ve been meaning to try these! I’ve had a can of garbanzo beans in my pantry for a while now, perhaps I’ll do a half-recipe.

45. tipper 45

We love chickpeas-I will so have to try this!

46. Linda 46

Nibbler is my middle name. Sigh. Ok, I’m thinking I need to host a Super Bowl party now … keep the recipes coming!

47. Yum! Looks like another perfect Super Bowl party treat!

48. I’m a HUGE nibbler. If I can eat it with my hands, I will start and won’t stop. I need to stop though. I need to lose 20 pounds.

I was never a chickpea fan, but last year I learned about roasting them and now I’m singing a whole new tune. Thank you for this recipe!

oh boy, am i ever a nibbler! i like to refer to myself as a grazer–i’m similar to a cow in that i eat all day. :)
    roasted chickpeas are a favorite snack–lovely post!

50. Do I have to serve them with lime wedges?

=P

51. I just made these to bring to dh’s grandpa’s b-day party tonight along with some Texas caviar. They are so good! We’ll see how many make it to the party. I bought the limes, but are they just for decoration or what?

It’s funny, I never used to like garbanzo beans. Maybe it’s because they were always served cold out of a can for putting on salads. Yuck. I love hummus when it’s done right, though, so that gave me the courage to try this recipe. I’m so glad I did.

This is screaming FOOTBALL NIBBLER To me!! Good one Cathy!!

53. Add a bit of smoked paprika to this, and it would be just like an amazing dish I enjoyed at a tapas restaurant when Kalyn came to visit us in Boston. Made me fall in love with chickpeas!

54. Dragon 54

I can seriously addicted to these.

55. I’ll take these any day over something sweet. They look oh so delicious. And with a cold beer…sublime.

56. Chickpeas….God’s gift to the world. They look delicious and I am definitely a nibbler!

Omigosh, these look good! Killer party treat! And a sure way to get my kids to eat their fiber and folic acid. Mmmm!

58. Sheila 58

These look tasty and satisfying as a snack. I need some yummy snacks!

59. Those look delicious!! I am so going to try these!

60. Rindy R 60

My girls and I eat chickpeas straight from the can – this looks like a good little detour for those chickies to take before they end up in our tummies! Thanks for the recipes!

61. Laurie 61

I wanted to make something like these around Christmas, but never got around to it. In fact I have two cans of chick peas in the cupboard right now. Thanks for reminding me what I wanted to do with them – and for sharing such an awesome recipe. I’ve certainly misplaced the one I planned to use by now.

Your photos are so beautiful!

62. tamilyn 62

Well, like Becky, I have never tried chick peas (have I mentioned I am a picky eater?) They look tasty though. I may have to make them when we have our family get together as several members will love this.

63. Jamie 63

Mmmmmmm! is all I can say! Even my persnickety one eats chickpeas so these are a to-do!

64. These do look fantastic! I could imagine myself polishing off a can or two with a six pack of maybe an IPA?

65. OMG love the bean dip and the roasted chickpeas look amazing!

66. Hilary 66

These look excellent .. I’ll try them soon ..

I am a nibbler from the get-go! Can’t wait to try these…

I’ve always wanted to try a roasted chickpea snack!

Man oh man, these are awesome! I’ve never had anything like these. I just happen to have a couple cans of unsuspecting beans in the pantry. Hehehe.

70. I’ve always got chickpeas in my pantry, but right now I’m really, really wishing that I also had some Corona….

71. ur blog is a haven of delish recipes….glad i stumbled upon it.

couldn’t be happier to say “hi”.

I’m a huge fan of chickpeas and have been thinking for ages I needed to try one of the recipes around for roasting them. This recipe sounds awesome! I’ll definitely give it a try (so South Beach and Somersize worthy!)

73. Sandy S 73

I’m SO making these, because I love chickpeas in pretty much any form. But I’m wondering what the texture is ~ chewy? Crunchy? Either way, yum. But curious!

74. Cathy 74

They are more on the chewy side.

75. I need to whip up a batch of these. I always like to have something on hand to munch on, and these would go well with a good beer.

Thanks for sharing,
    muddywaters

76. Hey Cathy, I did a variation of these last night for my daughter’s birthday party using roasted garlic oil, salt and pepper and also roasted walnuts and almonds. It was a huge hit.The chickpeas are fabulous…once again you did it!!!

77. *drooooooooooool*

78. Amber 78

Tried these out last night. I don’t typically like spicy food, but DANG. Polished off 7oz. last night for dinner and finished the rest today for lunch. Simple, spicy, savory, scrumptious! Thanks so much!

79. Katie B 79

I know this comment is a bit late compared to the ones above, but i found this recipe here and I tested it out, and I understand why lime wedges are a must. It was gooood my dad wouldn’t stop eating them. Thank you!

80. Make your life easier take the loan and everything you need.

81. Christine 81

I am snacking on these right now. Thank you for a wonderful new addition to my healthy snack list! I will be taking these to a graduation party later this week. Just found your blog and I can’t wait to try more of the recipes!

82. aly 82

can you make and store these?

83. Noble Pig 83

I’ve never stored them for any length of time, they disappear almost immediately!