White Chocolate Mousse with Pomegranate Sauce

It’s hard to imagine…

But Valentine’s Day is right around the corner.  It is.

I do not like to go out to dinner on Valentine’s Day.  I used to enjoy it when I was younger but once I realized how much they rush and overcharge you for pre-plated food…I was done.

It’s so much nicer to stay home and cook.  This year Valentine’s Day is on a Saturday, making the meal expectations a wee bit higher.

The Wild Boar and I do not exchange gifts on Valentine’s Day but we do like to partake in a special meal, cooked of course by us.  Or me.  Depending on the circumstances.

This is a fun dessert option, White Chocolate Mousse with Pomegranate Sauce.  It can easily be made the day before, leaving you time to get that special dinner on the table.  Very dinner party worthy as well with a lovely presentation.

Let’s make this…

Here’s what you will need:  Pomegranate juice, high-quality white chocolate, heavy whipping cream, egg whites, powdered sugar and pomegranate seeds.

Boil 3 cups pomegranate juice in a large saucepan until reduced to 2/3 cup, about 20 minutes.  (I used a 9.5′-wide pan and reduced to 2/3 cup in exactly 20 minutes.  If you use a smaller width pan it will most likely take longer to reduce.)  Transfer the sauce to a small cup and chill.

Stir 10 ounces good-quality white chocolate and 1/2 cup cream in a medium saucepan over very low heat until melted.  Transfer to a large bowl and cool 10 minutes.

In another bowl, beat remaining 1/2 cup cream to soft peaks.  Fold whipped cream into cooled chocolate mixture in two additions.

In another bowl, yes another bowl, (it takes a lot of bowls and pans to make mousse), using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, beat 3 egg whites until very frothy.

Add 3 Tablespoons powdered sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.  Ahem….now that is a stiff peak.

Fold egg-white mixture into chocolate mixture in two additions.

Divide mousse into 6 – to – 8 ounce glasses (a generous 1/2 cup in each).  Chill at least 2 hours and spoon chilled pomegranate sauce over mousse and garnish with pomegranate seeds.

Serve in different sized martini glasses or dessert dishes for a dramatic effect.

If for some reason you can’t find pomegranate seeds I bet you could do this with raspberry juice and fresh raspberries, however, I have never reduced raspberry juice but I’m sure it would work.

Dig in, it’s yummy.

White Chocolate Mousse with Pomegranate Sauce
Adapted from Bon Appetit

3 cups (24 ounces) pomegranate sauce
10 ounces high-quality white chocolate, chopped
1 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
3 large egg whites
3 Tablespoons powdered sugar
Pomegranate seeds

Boil pomegranate juice in a large saucepan until reduced to 2/3 cup, about 20 minutes.  (I used a 9.5′-wide pan and reduced to 2/3 cup in exactly 20 minutes.  If you use a smaller width pan it will most likely take longer to reduce.)  Transfer the sauce to a small cup and chill.

Stir good-quality white chocolate and 1/2 cup cream in a medium saucepan over very low heat until melted.  Transfer to a large bowl and cool 10 minutes.

In another bowl, using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, beat egg whites until very frothy.  Add powdered sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.  Fold egg-white mixture into chocolate mixture in two additions.

1. deeba 1

Oooh yum yum yum yum yum! How good & easy that looks. Gorgeous Cathy, just gorgeous!

2. Are you going to have a little dessert cafe at your winery?

Because if you do, I’ll never leave.

Isn’t it amazing how poor restaurants’ food becomes when you start cooking? It’s really rather sad.

3. Another fantastic and naturally gluten-free dessert from you, Cathy–love that! Thank you! I won’t be making this for our Valentine’s Day party that Saturday as we expect 75 people, but I will make it for our next girlfriends’ dinner. :-)

4. Will you be my Valentine!!!!

5. Teri 5

Yummy! Inquiring minds want to know…are you going to have the dessert cafe at the winery like Blond Duck asked. I’d come for that as well as the wine. And I’d bring quilted wine totes too..

Teri

6. Sarah 6

Sounds divine! I’m with you on the whole Valentine’s Day dinner-out thing; my husband and I never actually celebrate by eating out on Valentine’s Day itself because it’s never that much fun! Instead, we make dinner at home together and we might go out to dinner on the Saturday closest to the day.

I am so glad that somebody thought about a chocolate Valentine’s dessert that did not have dark chocolate in it. I am allergic to chocolate because of the caffeine in it, but white chocolate is caffeine free. Thanks I will certainly save this recipe! I wish I could grow a pomegranate tree! Wouldn’t that be handy?

8. Looks amazing! Would love to try to make this. Just one question, why is the white choc and cream mixture yellow?

9. White chocolate and whipped cream. You can’t get much better than that. Homemade is always best.

Gorgeous photos, Cathy.

10. I’m with you…I don’t like eating out on Valentine’s Day either. Last year I made a big dinner and it was so much nicer. I think I’ll do that again this year. And that mousse looks so good…I love pomegranates. I’ll bet they add just the right touch to the mousse!

11. Help me.

12. Yum! Chocolate that isn’t chocolate, if that makes sense! This is the only kind of chocolate I like and bonus, it’s with pomegranates! I usually make a red velvet cake for desert on Valentine’s Day…but this looks easy enough for even *me* to handle.

13. Marlene 13

WOW…I am drooling at my desk. That is totally fat free and no calories, right?

I think I might be in love.

Marlene

14. I bet there’s no such thing as “diet” mousse, huh?

The old goat and I do not eat out either, or exchange gifts. Like you, I’d rather have a nice meal at home.

This looks awesome!

15. Julia 15

This does look fantastic! But in New England, the fresh pomegranates start disappearing just after the New Year. I think the raspberry would be a great substitute (white chocolate and raspberry? YUM!), and maybe add a little sugar to help thicken the reduction?

Argh! We haven’t even lost our holiday bulge and you’re trying to fatten us up with Valentine’s Day? You are deliciously tormenting!

I love, love all the different glasses. I do the same thing with different vintage & antique champagne glasses.

We don’t like going out on V-Day either any more. I never did like having the preset menu and it’s more romantic at home where we can curl up in front of the fire & watch a movie as we eat our desserts.

I like Julia’s idea of raspberries if pomegranates can’t be found. I love chocolate and raspberries.

18. Mary 18

You always have something amazingly different for us. I’m tempted to give this a try. The photo’s are borderline gorgeous.

Wow that looks good. Great picture of the stiff peak too. 😉

20. Cathy 20

The brand of white chocolate I use is definitely more yellow color than white.

21. OH. MY. GOODNESS. If you don’t stop with the fab. looking recipes I will NEVER be able to do anything else!!!! I cannot wait to try this. Maybe it can make up for the pregnancy induced crankies I’ve had toward my DH.

Will you be my Valentine? Seriously, this looks amazing!

23. kayola 23

OH MY STARS!!! Yummmmmm! Seriously you are amazing!

24. I’ve heard pomegranate can help boost the libido, too. That seems appropriate for Valentine’s Day;)

Do you like that green & black white chocolate? I’ve seen it and wanted to try it. It’s so hard to find good quality ‘white’ chocolate you know? I’ll pick this up next time.

26. Ok. You just shot my new diet alllll to hell. 😛 Awesome.

27. Oh my that looks good, Cathy ! You’ve got another winner there…. yumm. Do you think I could have it for breakfast ?

There is an award for you over on my blog from Saturday – please come get it :)

Loving Annie

28. ELRA 28

I know, I know…
    Though we don’t always celebrate it, my husband always get me card, bunch of roses, and box of very good chocolate.
    Your recipe sounds delicious Cathy!
    Cheers,
    Elra

29. I could never make that a day ahead and expect to have any left for the actual dinner date! Sweet mercy, that looks delicious!

oh, don’t remind me. :)
    fabulous little treat, cathy. white chocolate can do no wrong by me.

31. Laurie 31

This entry is simply stunning!!! The recipe, the photos, the arrangement of your beautiful glasses make you the blogging queen.

We always celebrate Valentine’s Day at home too. It’s much more fun and intimate to eat in front of our own personal fireplace.

32. Delicious recipe. Very pretty presentation too.

I am so with you on the V-day thing. Up until a year or two ago, Sir Pickypants and I always went out on V-day. But we did grow tired of the crowded restaurants and overpriced pre-fixe meals. Last year I started cooking instead. However, cleaning up is not very romantic. It’s actually harder for me to cook on a Saturday night because we get home from riding in NJ pretty late and the last thing I want to do is make dinner. I think we’ll order Indian takeout and have a homemade dessert this year.

33. Rebel 33

Like you, we seldom go out on Valentine’s but we do go another day. But on the big night I fix a romantic dinner, candles and all and I try to find something different to fix. This sounds delicious for dessert. Thanks for the recipe.

Pomegranates have become my new addiction this winter. I would never have thought of using them like this. Thanks!

35. That looks just so yummy!

36. Cathy, this looks fabulous!

I adore the look of it in different shaped glassware. Beautiful photos!

37. As usual, your pics are beautiful! What a gorgeous presentation that dessert makes–and it sounds delicious.

Though it’s hard to believe it’s almost V Day!!

38. KathyB. 38

This mousse also looks like the perfect dessert for a ladies’ luncheon or tea! The pomegranate sauce also appeals to me and would be tasty and add to the appeal of a LOT of recipes.Think I’ll be making this.

39. Would subbing dark chocolate for white work? I don’t care for white chocolate.

Oh yum. You’re killing me. :) My Hunny will be working Valentine’s afternoon, then I’ll be working when he gets home, so maybe we’ll celebrate Friday night with this one. :)

I would never have guessed that was white chocolate. It looks so delicious and I love that last photo. I just might have to try this for Valentines.

42. Lo! 42

Well, aren’t those just lovely? LOVE the white chocolate.

We don’t usually observe V-day… but we might just make this for dessert some night!

43. imom 43

Mmmmmm, white chocolate mousse! Once again you blow me away with your presentation and the photos!!

Handy Man and I don’t “do” Valentines Day either, but I will cook something special since it’s a Saturday this year.

44. Julie 44

I’m sad to say I’ve never had pomegranate seeds…maybe that’s all about to change. It looks lovely :)

45. melissa 45

This looks yummy. I am going to try it with raspberries as I have them on hand. What’s for dinner on Valentine’s Day? Inquiring minds what to know.

46. The pomegranate topping looks like little jewels on top – how pretty and perfect for Valentine’s Day!

I love spending special holidays at home too! Looks delish!

48. Cathy 48

Yes, but I would do a raspberry juice reduction instead of pomegranate one.

49. Leslie 49

Oh how pretty! I hate going out on V-day for those same reasons!

50. Dragon 50

I think I’m in love. Sigh.

51. megan 51

You made such a nice presentaion. I love the dishes. I’m with you, I would rather stay home and make dinner and enjoy a bottle of wine instead of being out in the sea of people.

52. Dee 52

Drool. Slobber. I’m scared of raw egg whites so I’ve never made mousse. Gotta get over that.

I think it’s important to have a notebook full of comebacks for the crazy people we bump into :)

53. Very interesting facts….who knew any of these things! Your mousse looks delicious…VERY delicious!

54. tipper 54

This would be perfect for any day!

55. Pretty AND delicious looking. You guys eat well around your house.

This sounds like a perfect Valentines dessert. I was wondering if Pomegranates would be available in February so raspberries sound like a wonderful substitution.

57. Tamilyn 57

When the picture first popped up, I thought it was a drink! That looks ALMOST too good to eat! I love the dishes/glasses they are served in too.
    You rock…..

58. Jude 58

Oooh that looks good. glistening red on yellow is so striking!

59. Valentine’s Day? I just took down my Christmas tree! We usually go out to celebrate, but my favorite Valentine’s Days past are actually the ones where we stayed home and cooked up something special.

Your mousse would certainly be a hit on any menu! It looks fabulous!

60. Deborah 60

these are gorgeous! I like to stay home on V-day as well – a home-cooked meal is much better than fighting the crowds!!

These are gorgeous. My husband’s birthday is very close to Valentine’s Day so I don’t think we have ever done other than me cook for him as that is all he wants anyway. :)

62. EAT! 62

I’d like to order 2 of these mousses for Valentine’s Day. Do you deliver?

63. Hi,
    So you are just remembering that tomorrow is Valentine’s Day, eh? If you don’t have the natural romance bug or just work better under enormous pressure, here are some gift ideas for tomorrow..
    Local Pawnshops

64. Margot 64

Just linked to your post on my blog…
    Have a great weekend, Margot

65. Make your life more simple get the loan and everything you want.

66. That looks absolutely delicious! The red on the yellow looks so yummy! Thanks for posting this.

67. Fix Wii 67

Wow that looks absolutely amazing, would love to get my grubby hands on it and go to town. Keep up the great cooking.