Would You Rather…

…have the stomach flu, in all its glory, for 24 hours, where everyone caters to your every need…because after 24 hours everyone is pretty much “Done” with your illness anyway.

Or do you prefer to have a miserable cold that will last two weeks, causing you many sleepless nights, a runny nose, fever, watering eyes, uncontrollable sneezing, exhaustion, tasteless meals, headaches, a heavy chest, dry mouth from all the Sudafed, a red nose, a scratchy voice and complete and TOTAL IRRITABILITY with the world around you?

For me, I prefer the 24 hour flu.  I would be done already.

Instead I continue with this ugly cold and I guarantee the worst of the coughing has not even begun.

Total bummer.

Yes, this is a pity party.  Please join me, misery always loves company.

1. Greg 1

Feel better!

2. Raina 2

Hmmmm I think I prefer the 24 hour bug as well, only because although we are moms and the pampering is lovely, I can only afford to be down no more than 24 hours or my house will become Lord of the Flies and I would come downstairs to find the head of a pig on a stick!!! That would be much worse…Plus I hate being down sick period, I fight it with every inch of my being I am just wayyyy to busy a person. Try Airborne it is packed full of natural vitamins that germs hate and plenty of water and orange juice you can have up to 1000 mg of vitamin C an hour, anymore than that and it is just flushed out your system. You have to be ready for Christmas and I am dying to get my recipes from you, so far we have tried about 10 of them and they are new family favorites!!…Hope the Hooligans are the hubby don’t catch it! Take care

3. Ohhh, I hope you get well soon, I looked up some quotes just for you.
    “I reckon being ill is one of the quiet pleasures of life, provided one is not too ill and is not obliged to work until one is better.” James Butler, and “Sickness comes on horseback but leaves on foot.” Dutch proverb

So, may your illness leave on horseback instead, or better yet, a jet plane !

Well, I would rather have neither! lol. Hope your feeling better soon.

5. Uhoh Cathy, please take good rest. Hope you feel much better very soon.

6. yves 6

get well quickly!!!! Awful stuff cycled through the family here, anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks…. take care of yourself :):)
    We love all your contributions!

7. ntsc 7

Well, I’ll join you. In fact I’m ahead of you. My cold took root as the last guests left last week.

I think mine peaked on Friday as I went through 8 handkerchiefs that day, and I’m not talking dainty little barely disturbed things, but big ones that my wife handles with kitchen tongs and runs through the washer twice on extra hot, extra soiled. Yesterday she presented me with a stack of 28 handkerchiefs, washed and ironed and that doesn’t count the 14+ which just got washed and folded. In one week.

Fortunately the gumbo we had twice this week and again today has enough hot sauce in it to melt sinuses and does.

— representing a break while I went down to check on what dinner is and start veal stock, forgot to check what dinner is but did grab a fresh cup of coffee —

So get better soon, but do remember, you are not alone.

8. I’ve been lurking on your fabulous site for awhile now and finally am prompted to comment. :) Because I will forlornly join your pity party… I got the 24 throwing up flu and then came down with the 2-week cold immediately after. Finally got my ears to unplug yesterday, but food still tastes blah.

Hope you feel better soon! Dayquil has been a good friend to me for the past week.

9. Oh Cathy, I’m so sorry. This is the worst month to be sick in. I just started feeling dizzy last night and this morning started coughing. Usually in our family we all get sick at Thanksgiving and one of the kids throw up at the dinner table. To this day I don’t accept Thanksgiving invitations.

10. Katrina 10

Since I just had the way too long cold version two weeks ago, I guess I’d pick the one day flu–but does that involve barfing? If so, that makes it WAY MORE of a toss up!
    My husband has/and had the cold–he’s just gotten to the cough part, all the kids have had it in one form or another and WELCOME to winter season! ;(
    Hope you feel better soon!

11. wkf 11

OOOHHH I hope you feel better soon.
    Try a neti-pot for your stuffy nose It might help with the coughing to come as well.
    This sounds nuts, but rub vicks vapo rub on your feet then put on socks. I know, “Gross!”, but it helps clear things up then you don’t have to put it on your chest and under your nose.

and Dayquil/ Nyquil

12. Day 7 of the cold/TB here. But, I would be careful what I wished for….Just sayin’. 😉

I’ve heard of this, I haven’t done it yet but I know someone who has, I guess it really works!

Colds are the WORST! They just hang on forever,I’d rather have the 24 hour flu and be done with it! My poor mom though has the flu and has been sick for 3 days.

15. Ugh…being sick (no matter what form it takes) just sucks. Get some rest, have some soup and feel better soon!

I agree with the whole 24 hour thing. I’m on day 6 of my cold, with no end in sight, just variations of the same thing every day.

17. Amanda 17

Up your vitamin A (cod liver oil tablets) and C. You can also put a few drops grapefruit seed extract in the netti pot. Astragalus (Its a root) is great for colds too.

18. katie 18

I am sorry you are sick. I hate those long-running non-debilitating sicknesses. The ones where you still have to clean the house and take of the kids and cook dinner and get dressed etc..

19. I’m going with the 24 hour stomach flu. Everyone I know who got the 2 week long cold had about a week “off” and then started getting sick again. Myself included. I was sick about a month ago, and I don’t think the coughing ever stopped completely, and it’s getting worse again.

20. tipper 20

I’m going with none of the above!! Especially this time of the year-feel better soon!!

21. I’ll take the cold any day of the week, in spite of the fact that colds usually rev up the asthma too. At least I know what I’m doing with that. I hate throwing up. I’m not even sure there’s words for how much I dislike it.

22. So sorry to hear you are under the weather Cathy.

Feel better soon.

:)Doreen

23. Howdy 23

Oooo I’m sorry you’ve been sick… it’s no fun so stop it already!

I love echinacea tea… for me it has helped bring colds to an end earlier – at least I think so. If nothing else the hot tea is just warm and cozy and makes my nose run and helps clear my stuff head.

Hope you feel better soon!

24. Cassie 24

Well, I had the 24 hr flu and it’s not really 24 hours, although I have lost about 6 pounds so score there!

Hope you feel better soon!

25. Well – you know what I think – I think you have a new chicken soup recipe to make – lol wink wink….

but I agree with you whole heartedly – I really wished I had a 24 virus versus the cold that for me turned into pneumonia and bronchitis…I finished the last of the antibiotics just today – still on the mucinex extra strength – but feeling way better….

wishing you and your peeps quick recovery and health!

26. ELRA 26

Cathy,
    I really hope that you will get better soon.

I don’t think I will choose any of the option, being sick scared me!
    Get well soon, okay!
    Cheers,
    Elra

27. I’m with you … 24 hour flu would be better. I’ve been fighting off something and this morning it seems to have decided to try to attack my throat – ugh .

Doesn’t the cold season know that we have a radio show to do this week? The nerve 😉

28. Suzette 28

I vote for the 24-hour bug! Like you, I’ve got the Lingering Misery. It started the day after Thanksgiving, and I’m still dealing with a horrible cough. The kind that frightens the people around you. Oh well…at least it gives me license to be grumpy. :)

We’re too busy to be sick! I hope we both feel better fast!

29. I would much rather have the cold.
    The stomach thing is evil in my world.
    Been there too many times in my life holding onto the rim of the toilet.
    no thanks to either!
    Stay healthy this season!

30. Teri 30

Sounds like you need some good ol fashion CHICKEN SOUP a warm blanket and your favorite P.J.’s! And I would still rather have the stupid cold… I hate throwing up, even if it’s only for 24 hours.

Feel better!

31. Oh–I’m sorry! What a miserable-sounding cold you have. I would much prefer the 24 stomach bug–plus you get the extra bonus of losing a little weight!

I hope you feel better really soon!!

32. Oh, you poor thing! I hope you feel better soon!! I would give you a hug, but I wouldn’t want to get any goo on me. 😉

33. that girl down south 33

Definitely one day.
    Along with the suggestions of upping your vitamin intake, may i suggest a hot toddy?
    In case you don’t know what that is, hot water, lemon juice, honey, and whiskey. The joke between my husband and I is that the alcohol kills the germs. The honey and lemon are obviously good for colds. They always made me feel better. :)

34. Awwwww, babe! I hope you feel better soon. :(

35. c 35

So sorry to hear that that cold is messin’ you over. Hope it passes on very soon! Take care!

36. Cathy, I feel your pain. We have the awful coughing congestion thing going on over here, too. I hear it takes 3-4 weeks to go away. Really not looking forward to that.

37. Sarah 37

I’m on day 5 of the plague, and it’s the first day I’ve had an appetite and not felt completely dead. But it’s made me miss a deadline for one of my classes, and get behind on a paper.

Just remember not to take real Sudafed (the one with pseudoephedrine) at night .. I took a dose at 4am and couldn’t get back to sleep after!

38. Amber 38

Give me almost anything over throwing up. I coined the term ‘mouth poop’. I know it is a gross term but that is exactly what it is and that just grosses me out. I get a flu shot every other year and it may be in my head but I stay healthier, plus since I work in a grocery store every germ available comes through my line. Hope you feel better soon.

39. That is a tough question! After careful thought though, I am quite positive I have to agree with you on this one. Simply not being able to sleep because I can’t breathe pushed me over to the 24-hour bug side!

I sure hope you get to feeling better soon!

40. marcy 40

Wow Cathy, hope you fell better. Either one would suck in my opinion… even after the 24 hour stomach flu you don’t feel really better for 2-3 days… for the coughing, try actually putting vicks on the bottom of your feet with some heavy socks.. it works!!

Hmmm…. Well, I thought I had the 24 hour stomach thing, which turned into like a week fo the stomach thing. Now, the cold has raised its ugly little head. So, it seems I must admit now, that I have have the full blown flu thing. You Know. Because I went to get my flu shot one day & the line was too long for me to wait, so I thought I’d just do it another day. Too late now.

I hate when that happens! Now, my nose is so red, I’m expecting a call from Santa any day now, to take Rudolph’s place on the reindeer train.

42. Becky 42

Want me to bring chicken soup?

43. jancd 43

I will sadly join you. A few weeks ago I had the worst sore throat for six long days. Even though my son had strep throat, when I went to the doctor, he said I had a virus and to go home and gargle with warm salt water. He would not even take a culture. I was so MAD. I finally got over it, but my wonderful real doctor (I went on a weekend) said I probably did have strep and just healed myself. (with God’s help, of course) I’ve decided to complain about that heartless doctor every time I go to the clinic just to make myself feel better! ha. Hope you get to feeling better soon. Having a miserable cold is just awful!! Jancd

44. sharon 44

Sorry! I hate those lingering colds. Hope you’re feeling better soon. Get lots of rest!

45. Maureen 45

Oooh, wishing you better health soon!

I’d choose the cold – I have an ABSOLUTE phobia of throwing up.

I swear by Omega 3 Fish Oil, Vit. C and L-Arginine for upping the immunity. We used to use a formula for ICU patients that was immune enhancing that contained those ingredients. I take that combo every time I feel an illness coming on.

46. Kyddryn 46

Aww, sugar, I’m sorry – I hope you feel better soon.

Shade and Sweetwater,
    K

47. melissa 47

Sorry your sick. I pick neither. I don’t want to be sick and will do anything to avoid it. Everytime I use a publc restroom I say Hale Mary’s and I’m not Catholic. Did I even spell Hale Mary right? Oh lordy I feel a cough coming on just from reading this post. Hope you feel better soon and don’t stress too much.

48. I know exactly what you mean. I’ve had this drippy cough thing for over two weeks and I’m (frankly) sick of being sick! (I will admit the Nyquil does allow me to sleep through the night without being disturbed by hubster’s snoring though).

I jsut returned from a bus trip with 30 ladies to New Orleans, and I guarantee that at least half of them had the cough. I was so afraid that I was going to catch something that I could not wait when I got home to shower, gargle, shampoo, etc. The works. That lingering cough is what is the worst. Some of the ladies would have a bad, really bad, coughing spell, and have to reach into their purse for their bottle of elixir of some sort. It was scary. I sure hope you get over yours soon. I feel sorry for you and the rest of your family, because I know they are in fear of catching it from you. Anyway…you know what to do…just hang in there and it will be over in time.

50. shonda 50

I hate them both and insist on tons of tingley feeling drugs if I am forced to endure them.

51. Thanks for not including pictures of snotty tissues 😉

Seriously though those lingering illnesses stink. Hope you get better SOOOOOOON!!!!!

52. In theory, I would prefer the 24 hours option. But, I have a fear of throwing up, which doesn’t tend to happen when I have a cold.

53. Feel better soon!

54. Leslie 54

Oh I am with ya sister!! I would rather puke and poop for 24 hours than have a nasty cold!!!!!! Feel better soon!!

55. I’m right there with you sistah. I am on my 8th week of being sick, my cold turned into asthma and yeah the endless coughing is awful. BUT the best cough syrup is warmed Grand Marnier, just straight and sip it. Your chest will warm up and your cough mellow out. Works great.

Cold.
    I throw up very easily and I hate that.
    Cold all the way.

57. I’m all about the crystallized ginger!! I will definitely try these!!

58. I really don’t want either. My grand son Alex came over the week end with the worlds worst cough and I am hoping I don’t get it.

59. misty 59

These sound DIVINE, but the stack photo of them is beautiful! like Ginger Gems…

I gave you a well deserved award, on my blog.

What a bummer. As much as I hate throwing up, I would pick the 24 hour flu too. Hope you feel better soon!!!

61. Misty 61

YUMMMMY! Those look sinful Cathy!

62. Oh My Lord. My butt just got bigger. Those look fabulous. I could almost smell them.

63. That just sucks. I’d rather have the flu.

64. TSannie 64

Ya got my sympathies….better soon!

65. I choose NEITHER! I haven’t had a cold or flu for several years now. My kids are beyond the kiddie Sunday School stage — helps us stay healthy. Hope you get better soon. I’ll be praying for you right alongside those prayers for Karen Deborah. Being sick is NO FUN!

66. I’m sorry your sick. Lots of vitamin C, my mom swears by it:) Maybe laced with some vodka! I’d rather have the 24 hour flu, over and done with.

I don’t know about you but some of those symptoms (sleepless nights, exhaustion, tasteless meals, headaches, complete and TOTAL IRRITABILITY with the world around you) sounds like my peri-menopause!