Unsexy Jewish Food – Noodle Kugel

I am totally on a roll.

First it was the Ugly but Delicious Sweet Potatoes and now it’s the unsexiest of all Jewish foods, the Noodle Kugel (koo-gl).  If you say kugel with a nasal tone, it’s even more unsexy than ever.  The word kugel reminds me of kegel, another unsexy term.

However, let me just go on the record and say this kugel has about the sexiest taste ever.  Just take a gander at the ingredients…hello…how could it taste bad….it’s like dessert.

Kugels have been a staple of Jewish cooking for centuries.  They are basically a starch (noodles or potatoes) with a thickening agent (oil, eggs, flour) and can be sweet or savory.  This is the best side dish ever.  Seriously, it goes with everything and your religious affiliation makes NO DIFFERENCE.  You have to make this…yes, I’m twisting your arm.

With the impending celebration of Hanukkah, this will go perfectly with the EASIEST, MOST FOOLPROOF, BEST TASTING BRISKET you could ever make..

If Christmas is what you are celebrating, set this dish right next to your Baked Ham with Rum and Coke Glaze…it will wow your guests.  The sweet yumminess will surprise them.

This is a very decadent recipe…it is “holiday food”.  Partaking in too much will leave you unsexy, as your pants will no longer button.

Come on, I’ll show you…

Here is what you will need: Unsalted butter, egg noodles, eggs, sour cream, sugar, cream cheese, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg and Granny Smith apples.  Ohhh… the decadence here.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Add 1 pound broad egg noodles; cook al dente to package directions, about 6 minutes.  Drain noodles and return to pot; set aside.

Put 6 eggs and 2 cups sour cream into the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until combined.

Mix in 3/4 cup sugar, 3/4 cup butter and 12 ounces cream cheese.  Set aside.

Heat 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter in a large skillet over medium heat.  Stir in 2 Tablespoons sugar, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg.  Add 3 cups chopped Granny Smith apples and gently toss to coat.  Cook, tossing occasionally, until soft and caramelized, 10 to 12 minutes.

Stir apples into egg mixture.

Pour the apples over the noodles, tossing gently to combine.  Pour into a buttered 13 x 9 baking dish.  Drizzle the remaining 2 Tablespoons butter over noodles and sprinkle with remaining 2 Tablespoons sugar.  You can make one day ahead up to this point. Refrigerate and bring to room temperature before baking if you do.

Bake at 350 degrees until set and top is golden brown, about 30 minutes.

Transfer to a wire rack and let stand 15 minutes before serving.

You will soooooooo love this.

Give it a chance.

Noodle Kugel
Adapted from Martha Stewart

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and divided, plus more for buttering dish
1 pound broad egg noodles
6 large eggs
2 cups sour cream (16 ounces), room temperature
1 cup sugar, divided
12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces (about 3 cups)

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Add noodles; cook al dente to package directions, about 6 minutes.  Drain noodles and return to pot; set aside.

Put eggs and sour cream into the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until combined.

Mix in  3/4 cup sugar, 3/4 cup butter and cream cheese.  Set aside.

Heat 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter in a large skillet over medium heat.  Stir in 2 Tablespoons sugar, ground cinnamon and 1/4 ground nutmeg.  Add apples and gently toss to coat.  Cook, tossing occasionally, until soft and caramelized, 10 to 12 minutes.  Stir apples into egg mixture.   Pour the apples over the noodles, tossing gently to combine.  Pour into a buttered 13 x 9 baking dish.  Drizzle the remaining 2 Tablespoons butter over noodles and sprinkle with remaining 2 Tablespoons sugar.  You can make one day ahead up to this point.  Refrigerate and bring to room temperature before baking if you do.

Bake at 350 degrees until set and top is golden brown, about 30 minutes.  Transfer to a wire rack and let stand 15 minutes before serving.

68 Comments and 1 Reply

You had me at kegel! Ha! I laughed out loud when I read that! I’ll give this KUGEL a try! I’ve never had it before, but have heard wonderful things about it. YUM!

I’ve never had it before either. Thank you for broadening my world of food. It looks delicious.

3. Deeba 3

You’re making serious business of food cathy…first ugly, then unsexy! LOL…this is very funny indeed. But seriously, with all the ‘ooomph’ that’s gone into it…I think it’s very very sexy in small portions! Thanks for the introduction to Jewish food; a first for me, & I’m lovin’ it!

4. Philly 4

Thank god for all my Jewish neighbors and for bringin Kugel into my life!!

5. Julia 6

Don’t you love how such a sweet yummy dish is considered part of the main meal and not dessert! Must be the sour cream and noodles. Gotta love the Jewish heritage. And Clearly you didn’t enter this into the Boston Globe Kugel contest, because this recipe so would have won!

6. OK…so now for Christmas I’m making pecan pie, gingerbread cookies & kugel. If you show one more dessert, I don’t think I’ll make a main dish!

7. yes, i’ve heard all about the kuh-gull (as my jewish friends call it here in the nyc metro area) and am not really a fan. i much prefer LATKES (potato pancakes for the uninitiated).

as a kid, my mom would serve up potato pancakes as a side with PORK chops. the ultimate jewish dinner. :) lolz.

8. Breakfast of champions.

9. YUM!! I’ve been looking for a good noodle kugel recipe for a few years now, and this one looks amazing! Thanks!! And happy holidays to you–whether that means ham or brisket or festivus. LOL

10. Comfort food at it’s best. What a great dish. Yum.

11. Wow – this is such a winner! Love this!

12. Kugel may not be sexy, but it sure is delicious! Your version looks fab! I usually make mine with cherries, but I love the apples and spices.

13. I don’t think i’ve ever tried that before! Sounds totally delicious and I’m sure the kids will love it too!

You got this from Martha Stewart? I cannot believe that I never saw this recipe. I am a MS fan and faithfully subscribe! Anyway, that is a very interesting recipe. That sure was a pretty plate on which it was served. Again, good photography.

15. In the growing up days my Mom would make this all the time – She would use pineapple, cottage cheese and raisins as well – No matter what version you make this is such a great dish and always a winner.

16. Becky 17

I have never eaten any kind of kugel but those pictures sure make me want to try it!

17. marcy 18

, Wow thanks Cathy! I have always wondered what kugal was – knew it was a Jewish sidedish, but didn’t know for sure what was in it. I just might have to try some, it looks delish!

18. Oh, we love kugel in this house. Mine has graham cracker crumbs on top, but other than that is similar to this one. Love it!!

• Hi, I make a dairy kugel with crushed cornflake crumbs mixed with brown sugar; I add a little cinnamon for my husband who loves it. I wondered what your topping is like. Care to share? Ro

19. I think I gained 8 pounds just reading the recipe! I’ll have to think about it… noodles and apples… It could work!

20. I worked at a Jewish school for three years and got to sample all of the food of all of the Jewish holidays (as well as fresh challah every Friday!) You’re right, kugel doesn’t always win the pretty-prize, but you made it look fabulous!

21. Holy cow…I’ve never had kugel (I did think kegel when I first read it so you’re not alone) but this looks really good. How am I going to decide what to make on Christmas?!

22. I guess I’ll have to stick with kegel as your kugel is off limits for me. BUT, I’ve totally enjoyed your blog. I’ve never been here before. Found you via Lo!

I snickered all the way through kugels, bad hair, and cheap whiskey. Great writing!

I’ll be back, regardless of whether I can eat the food.
    :-)

Melissa

I was convinced of the goodness with all that butter and sour cream. Add the apples so it can pretend to be healthy, and you’re really peddling some unsexy goodness, aren’t you? But, to quote a recent commenter, that’s what January’s for!

24. tipper 26

Looks amazing!

25. Lara 27

Mmm. That sounds AND looks delicious.

26. Louise 28

Beeeeee-uuuuuuuuuuuu-tiful!

27. ELRA 29

OMG, Cathy
    I also made this earlier, and planning on post about it today. What a coincidence. Yours look so moist and delicious!
    Cheers,
    Elra

28. Sold! I am so making this for Mr. Clairol’s birthday. He’s not Jewish, but those Swedish boys love them some noodles and apples!

I think that looks wicked good. And it’s no where near as unsexy as Gefilte fish. At least I don’t think so. Heh.

30. Well – I have tried this for the very first time earlier this year – it was a wild interesting dish – and as I prepare for a Hanukkah dinner next week before my fellow goes off to Israel for 6 weeks on business…I just might end up making this, along with serving it next to the ham and other interesting dishes I made during passover that I might repeat – I am learning more about Jewish food than my own guy who was born in Israel…but lucky for us – he eats bacon too… lol – along with my gorgeous bodacious baked ham…

31. KAYOLA 33

That looks so good…I will be for sure trying this!

you are so funny…glad you didn’t umm mix up the terms in writing this.
    I love this dish, hubby hates it–only because there are apples in there. If I hadn’t told him there were apples in there I bet he would eat it. I have to wait about 2 years before making it and say to him “…it’s all pasta, and so tasty..” Then he’ll eat it. Oy!

33. Shelly 35

Looks yummy.

34. this one-handed (left-handed, at that) blogger leaves few comments these days, but you wowed me with this recipe. had it once at a co-worker’s jewish wedding. delish!! love the blue plate. too!

35. I had to click through my email reader because this looks wonderful! I’m going to make it! Or try anyhow!

My mom is Jewish and she’s forever talking about Kugel and those potato pancakes, I can’t recall what they’re called. But kugel always stands out because her Rabbi’s wife supposedly makes a kugel that’s to die for. I think this recipe here is gonna give Mrs. Rabbi a run for her money!

36. I’m gonna try it! We’re a Hanu-mas celebrating family, so it’s definitely time I made a Kugel. :-)

37. Mary 39

Food can’t be un-sexy and your Kugel is a siren luring the innocent to the table. Great recipe. I have an award for you on my site – to take or not. I just wanted you to know I’m a fan and why.

38. Lisa 40

If you have some of that over there and don’t bring me some, consider our friendship over. This is my absolute favorite thing you make – remember how much of it I ate last year at dinner? I think I am still working it off but it was soooooooo worth it. Bring. It. Over. Please.

39. actually, this looks quite good!

40. Yum! I need both vegetarian and Jewish dishes for my Christmas dinner, so this is going on the menu. Thanks!

41. Kugel is sexy, however if you eat it too much, YOU WILL NOT BE TOO SEXY!
    because it is so fattening!

Cath, I love your recipe. I grate an apple into mine, and instead of cream cheese, I use cottage cheese. It is my favorite of all holiday dishes!
    Stacey Snacks

42. I snorted at the title and had my co-workers staring at me.

43. Now I have so many of your recipes swaved we will have to make choices for Christmsas. This looks great.

I’ve never had anything like it before. It may not be sexy but it sounds delicious!

45. ALF 47

How do you take such beautiful pictures of food? I feel as though if I were to take a picture of ingredients people would look at it and think, “gross”.

Oh my word. How many times have I told you that you’re evil? I’m telling you again. That looks positively SINFUL. But yummy. Oh heavens.

47. Cathy, you are so amazing! Another delicious-looking dish!

48. Leslie 50

kegel!! you make me laugh woman!!!!

49. Cheryl 51

Served on such a vibrant blue surface, it looks downright gorgeous. Think I may just have to get in touch with my inner Jewish mother.

(and on an odd front, I had JUST typed the word “kegel” within minutes of reading this post. Not a purty word.)

Thanks for the well wishes. Feeling infinitely better. (and 5 pounds lighter…the hard way.)

50. Amber 52

This is sort of like Jewish macaroni and cheese with out macaroni or orange powder. You won me with every ingredient required. You call this a holiday food. Do Saturdays count as holidays?

Sour cream, cream cheese, apples…Yeah this is dessert!!

52. sharon 54

so you’re right. Kugel doesn’t sound sexy, but it sure looks it! :)

53. I have made a savoury kugel in the past..its time to move over to the seeet side.

54. KathyB. 56

This looks like a ‘comfort food’ recipe. I am big on comfort foods, they get me by quite well sometimes, and most people love them. Looks like a recipe I will make for a potluck, and we go to potlucks several times a month !

Hmmm, kugel, kegal! Thought provoking.

55. shonda 57

LOL @ kegal. I thought that before I read where you wrote it. AWESOME!

Also, the second photo from the top is beautiful. Looks totally Martha.

56. megan 58

If that picture of the eggs and sour cream doesn’t convince someone to try it, then the picture of the apples well. I think my arm has been twisted!

57. I’m of two minds about making this for my husband. It’s sweet and it’s starchy – two things that make him happy. OTOH, it has sour cream. He probably won’t notice the sour cream when he eats it, but if he accidentally finds out – there will be hell to pay. So many dairy products just gross him out. It’s not just the lactose intolerance. If he likes the dairy, he’ll eat a Lactaid, but sometimes creamy stuff just turns his stomach.

Other than latkes, I have so few ideas for traditional Hanukah foods for him. I would love to make a brisket, but that’s not going to happen with Sir Pickypants and the “I can’t handle red meat” tummy.

unsexy? perhaps. awesome name and delicious components? absolutely. i wouldn’t push it away. :)

59. I never think of any of the Jewish food I grew up with as sexy food — but it is the ultimate comfort food, isn’t it?

60. vanessa 62

Oooh I’ve had this but never with apples. Mmmmmmm unsexy amazing noodle kugelllll.

61. YAY unsexy & tasty Jewish food.

There are actually lots of different flavored kugels – similar to quiches. A classic is the potato kugel. My favorites are broccoli or Spinach noodle.

62. Greg 64

Cathy,

Jewish food is sexy by definition alone :)

In my family we called this Lockshen pudding. Still one of my favorite Jewish comfort food, along with my mom’s brisket.

63. Katie 65

I made this for our tacky Christmas sweater party tonight, and it rocked. Every loved it. It was delicious. Thanks for sharing.

64. My mother’s version also had golden raisins.

Gotta love the kugel.

65. They are basically a starch with a thickening agent and can be sweet or savory. This is the best side dish ever. Seriously it goes with everything and your religious affiliation makes NO DIFFERENCE. You have to make this I’m twisting your arm…………..

66. krissa moscone 68

I made this last year and it was so good! The kids loved it!!!!

67. A family favorite! My Aunt always added pineapple chunks which were yummy!