Potato Soup Mix

Are you still scrambling to find your "cubicle mates" at work the perfect holiday gift?  You know, the people you spend so much of your life with but really don't know them....all that well.

You want to make a nice gesture but let's face it, you don't want to spend a fortune.  I would have loved to get this for a holiday gift when I worked in a corporate setting. This Potato Soup Mix is the perfect present for people working in an office situation and sometimes can't leave at lunchtime to grab a bite.

By adding a cup of hot water to a  half-cup of soup mix to a bowl, presto, lunch is served.

You could make the presentation much cuter by adding fabric to the lid or hanging a little ornament from the ribbon.

If you really like your "cubicle friends" set the jar in a cute bowl with a spoon and a half-cup scoop and wrap it up in cellophane with a big bow.  You could even get crazier by adding a bag of cute crackers.

But either the jar by itself or the pimped out bowl version would make a great gift.

I'll show you how to put this together...

Here's what you'll need:  Instant mashed potato flakes, dry milk powder, chicken bouillon granules, dried chopped onion, dried parsley, ground white pepper, dried thyme, ground tumeric and seasoning salt.

In a large bowl combine 2 cups instant mashed potato flakes, 1-1/2 cups dry milk powder, 1-1/2 Tablespoons chicken bouillon granules, 2 teaspoons dried minced onion, 1 teaspoon dried parsley, 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper, 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric and 1 teaspoon seasoning salt.  Make sure to mix until you have a completely homogeneous mixture.

Pour mixture into a quart sized jar.

Then makes your jars cute.  You're done.  Shopping crisis solved.

Yum.

• 1 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric

Directions

• Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix until a homogeneous mixture is achieved. Pour into a one quart jar.
  • Attach the following instructions: To serve, place 1/2 cup soup mix in bowl. Stir in 1 cup boiling water until smooth.

70 Comments and 4 Replies

1. What a wonderful idea for all those people who have way too much stuff, but little time.My sisters and I exchange gifts that are cheap and consumable. Any gift ideas for gift soup packages without potatoes? Please ?

I am sending this to my sister who is trying to brainstorm small gift ideas right now.
    Thanks.

3. What a pretty gift, and a great idea! I’ve given out cookie and quick bread mixes before, but never a soup. Thanks for the wonderful idea!!

Mind you, I’m thinking about giving it to my peripheral friends, rather than my cell-mates. All that they’re getting will be Christmas cards saying, “TURN YOUR G.D. RADIO DOWN, SOME OF US ARE ACTUALLY TRYING TO WORK HERE….and Merry Christmas.”

4. Brilliant idea! I love it!

And hope, no hair cut. That was called the my-hair-is-a-wreck-doodle-bop style. Perfect for weeknights, humid weekends and cleaning the house.

5. Becky 5

That is such a great idea!
    It would be great for the elderly also.

6. Julia 6

Oh, Your good! I like that you can totally customize the seasonings I was trying to think what else you could do like this? Maybe pancake batter with a fresh vanilla pod?

By the way, is it possible to subscribe to your blog in an RSS feed or only through email?

I can so see this happening this year what a great gift idea!

I have two jars in my china cabinet one is hot chocolate mix the other is brownies mix and they have ribbons and the brownies have a tiny wisk… have had them for YEARS they are too cute to use but this… I do think would be used!

Thank you so much for adding that cute idea for a last minute gift. However, it looks good enough to actually keep in the pantry during the winter months and enjoying right at home. My husband usually likes a snack somethng like that when he wakes up from his afternoon nap. (we do not eat lunch and exist on two meals a day) That would be an excellent alternative to ramen soup, which he loves. Don’t ask me why he likes that stuff, but he does. Anyway, I am grateful for that recipe for a quick fix.

9. Howdy 9

Yum! I know someone who’s husband travels on occasion and this would be perfect for those nights she doesn’t want to cook!

Thanks for the Great Idea!

10. What a cute idea!

11. tipper 11

Lovely idea! So neat for folks who are faced with packing a lunch or eating out everyday!

12. This is a fantastic idea for those we work with Cathy. If you really like your work buddies throw in a bottle of wine to sip alongside the soup as well….not at work of course!!

13. Mary 13

This is an idea that borders on greatness. Well, maybe not so much, but it is one of the best small gift ideas I’ve seen this holiday season.

14. kayola 14

I felt so honored to have you leave me a comment yesterday…you’re da bomb baby…I have read you for so long and for you to come to my humble little blog…it sure helped make my day!!!! Good luck with your huge list of things to do today! I love all of your recipes and most of all your awesome sense of humor!!!!!!! YOU MAKE ME SMILE!

15. Absolutely brilliant! And festive! Thanks for the great idea~

16. Another brilliant Christmas idea. Anyone who reads this blog has no excuse to not get Christmas shopping finished in a timely manner and with minimal stress.

17. Steph 17

What a splendid idea! So easy and inexpensive…I am definitely handing out some of these.

18. Jodie 18

What a great inexpensive gift! I think I’ll make some for my in-laws. Thanks for solving that dilemma.

19. SUCH a great idea.

20. Dee 20

I’m super organized with presents *preen* but I also end up wanting to keep them all for myself! Sigh. This year, we’re also going cheap and cheerful with cookies. Nowhere near as creative as instant soup :)

By the way, the Bourbon-Walnut Sweet Potato Mash sounds fabulous! I’m definitely trying that one out. And if I don’t stop by in time, have an amazing Xmas, Cathy!

21. rayrena 21

Screw the coworkers; I think I need to mix up a batch for when I’m too lazy to make lunch for myself :). I think we might have it for lunch today since I have nothing to make lunch with and don’t feel like driving in the rain today.

Awesome idea Cathy!

What a perfect idea for all those people you get gifts from and didn’t get them anything! Awesome!

24. What a fabulous idea! I hope it’s as good as it looks..I really would love to give these out! And I have to tell you how much I love that you post recipes that use Tumeric. I didn’t even know what it was when I bought it last year…I bought it actually as part of a poison ivy remedy I found online-ok, really dumb. But it sat in my cupboard just staring at me feeling very lonely until that awesome Moroccon spiced shorts ribs recipe! Oh I think I need to make that this weekend! Thank you!!!

25. Trisha 25

Okay – that is a wonderful idea and it sounds yummy! Much better than a peanut butter sandwich for lunch!

26. That is a great idea!

27. ELRA 27

You always have such brilliant idea, Cathy!
    Cheers,
    Elra

28. Teri 28

Hmmmm, one for a gift, one for me. This looks good. I would have to put one of these in the cabinet for myself for a rainy day. Hey, what do ya know, it’s raining! Nice idea! Thank you Cathy!

29. I LOVE this idea. You’re always SO spot on when it comes to this stuff. When I grow up, I want to be like you 😀

What a wonderful idea. It will match perfectly with the apple pie mix I canned this summer.
    Thanks for solving my what am I going to give with the apple pie mix dilemma.
    Potatoe soup and apple pie go together right?

Holy mackerel! This is a great idea to give my kids to take back to college, since they often whine that dorm & cafeteria food sucks! Thanks, Cathy!

32. Happy Holidays to you and your family, Cathy !

Loving Annie

33. leslie 33

So easy and everything is already in the pantry. I spend many hours a day in the car so this will be perfect to just tuck under the seat or place in the console for a quick, inexpensive lunch. Just stop at a connivance store, buy a drink and use their microwave. Thanks. Leslie

34. annbb 34

What a neat idea! This is one of the only recipes I’ve seen that all you need to add is water.

35. Tanya 35

What a great idea! You’re a genius!

36. magpie 36

I like this in concept, but – how does it taste?

37. Louise 37

OK, how did you know that for the first time in years I didn’t set aside enough time to bake cranberry bread for my cubicle buddies? This looks lovely!

38. Biz 38

PERFECT! I am totally doing this. I was tired of giving the customary hand soap!

THANKS!

39. Candy 39

That’s awesome, I’m going to try it tomorrow. Have to see if I like it first!! But I have a friend who will love it, and refuses to let me buy her anything at all. This is perfect.

40. Suzette 40

I love potato soup. And, this presentation is a wonderful idea! I have done all my “little something” gifts for this year, but I will file this away for other opportunities.

You are so clever! I love this Christmas gift idea and so many of my friends and family would LOVE it too.

42. vanessa 42

This is great! Luckily, the cube mates and I are not exchanging this year. The cookie swap was IT. Phew.

43. Great idea and a wonderful gift!

44. Being retired I can admire the mix but I don’t have to make it. I might suggest it to my daughter though.

So cool!

46. Donalyn 46

What a cool idea – you rock as usual my dear!

cathy this is a wonderful idea, you rock girl!

48. amy 48

This is definitely a gift mix I have never seen before, it sounds great!! Thank You for the idea!

49. That is an excellent idea! I wish someone would give me some!

50. gaga 50

What a great gift. I’d love to receive this!

51. You are do damn clever! 😉

52. Katrina 52

What a great idea. Thanks for finding and sharing it. Great idea for teacher gifts, too.

i’ve often craved potato soup at the drop of a hat. i think i’ll do this, but keep a quart or two for myself. :)

What a great idea! I love the ribbon with bells on it. I’ll take the pimped out version, please! :-)

55. Very creative. And pretty too!!

Excellent idea! Especially since it’s quick & easy to make, for the giver & the receiver.

Everyone likes a night off…

57. Interesting! Better than the usual cocoa in a jar gift that’s so popular.

And I have always loved instant mashed potatoes – a bit of a shameful indulgence of mine.

What an awesome idea! I wish I had seen this before now as it would have been a great gift for my receptionist who is always forgetting to bring her lunch.

59. Wow this is wonderful. Thanks for the recipe :)

60. Toys 60

That’s quite a good idea! And your mates will be thankful when they forget their lunch and they have the pot of potato soup handy! Just add a little boiling water, and here you have a nutritious, warm lunch! Food as gift is always very much appreciated.

61. Toys 61

62. Beads 62

A great classic recipe! My Grandma would always cook me this soup when I was sick as a child! Thanks for posting.

63. Barbie 63

I have to say, was searching for soup ideas and tried this one. It was so easy, yummy and healthy.

Great to keep them on hand for times when i cant be bothered to cook.

64. Kelly 64

Clearly you don’t work in California with 20-something, no carb, organic, gluten free Millenials! lol But I’ll take some!

65. Mary 66

Awesome gift idea! I love food in jars and this is great! Thank You!

66. Marluny 67

The only issue I have with this recipe is the use of chicken bouillon which has a very high amount of sodium, and if you do not know your friends’ health issues, it would not be a good idea to use. Wyler’s and Herb Ox have low/no sodium bouillon. Also, since I am unaware of what the person receiving may or may not be allergic to, a list of ingredients should be included.

67. Tawnya 68

Just wondering if this works well if I make a humongous amount all at once to fill lots of jars or if it works better to make one quart at a time?

68. Juli 71

I’d love to see more ideas like this. That I could set up and share. Does anyone have more Ideas that would be good to give as gifts like this?

69. Annette 72

i was given a commercially marketed potato soup mix as a gift. It is the ultimate comfort food. So I love your ideas and plan to use as “teacher gifts.” My mix has paprika listed as an ingredient and yours calls for turmeric. If I use turmeric, will there be a noticeable taste difference?

70. Tammie Cullett 74

Is this gluten free ? Thinking about doing this with a GF bread for my boss this year.
    Thanks