Progress

Remember when I told you the burn piles on our land were big?  Well here’s proof.  Even describing them as gigantic is an understatement.

Yesterday was a beautiful sunny day in Oregon.  The kids went crazy climbing the hills of the recently cleared land.  I told them they needed to start picking up the sticks.  They laughed.

Of course Willie was working away while we messed around.  His workload here is endless.

However, there is just something about photographing boys with heavy equipment..  It seems so completely natural.

This little hooligan should not have been sitting up here.  Soon after I told him to smile and look this way, I told him to get off and not get up there again.  He was confused.  Sorry bud, it’s all about the Kodak moment.

We were able to explore areas of the property we had never been to before since parts of the land have now been cleared and made passable.

The kids loved it.  In fact as you can see, it made them a little crazy.

Here is a rare, rare sighting of the Wild Boar.  Yes, he does exist.

Since we only keep an apartment in Oregon, we don’t have a hose.  So things like….mud….are a bit of a problem.

Please explain to me how this happens.  The shoes are waterproof which means the kids are pretty much rolling-sinking in the mud.  Save me from the laundry I know is in my near future.

But the kids don’t care.  They just wanted to sit in the dozers.

Overall, I love photographing the machinery.  For me it signifies progress of a long awaited goal.

And the sunset through the arm of an excavator never looked better.

1. snowmoonelk 1
  2. Diane 2

That looks like it’ll burn for hours. I used to love having a bonfire at my grannys house when I was a kid. The challenge would be not to take matches from the house but get the vaguely smouldering pile of ash at the end of the garden going again.

3. snowmoonelk 3

Exactly, “used to love having a bonfire at my grannys house when I was a kid…” Now we know better, don’t we?

So glad the kids were able to climb up and sit in the equipment.
    You gotta. It’s a must-do.

5. Boy does this post bring back memories. We did have a burn pile that was as high as our house, and the kids climbed on it, played around it, and had a blast. That it was unsightly did not enter into their minds. The big piles were fun! And I can see the hooligans think so too. And heavy equipment ! Wow…what a fantastic time for you all! I’m jealous.

6. Things are moving ahead and it seems like you are having fun doing it:D

7. Wow! You should charge admission to view that bonfire! It’s going to be amazing! I love seeing the boys having fun…just being boys.

8. Wow what great progress. Thanks for sharing these bits with us, so interesting and I can’t wait to visit the finished product someday! Oh do boys love their big toys or what?!

9. I bet every time you go out to your property the smell of wine gets stronger in your mind. You guys are almost there.

10. I love that picture of your son’s sock. I used to have the same problem with my daughter, only with snow in the winter. Her socks would get soaked and I couldn’t understand how when she was wearing snow pants that were tucked into snow boots. It’s amazing, isn’t it?

11. Marcy 12

Wow Cathy, one really can see the difference with all the work that is being done. The hooligans are cute as can be and look like they are having a blast!

12. Can you please hurry? I want some wine!

13. Woah–that’s a big pile!! The kids look like they are really enjoying romping amongst the big machines!

It’s great to see the progress you’re making!!

14. Becky 15

Awww, Mom, why do we have to pick up sticks when there’s so much exploring to do?
    Honestly, I’m with the boys. Gotta explore!
    I know each time you go back, you get a little more excited.
    Me, too! Can’t wait for next time.

15. Flash Stitcher 16

Wow, that is a big pile. Do I see vineyards in your future?

16. Wow! Huge progress is being made… and the Wild Boar does exist!

Love the kid pictures! Love em!

17. Louise 18

What a proud mama you are of both the boys and this amazing project!

when you said laundry it brought me back to the time this past summer when you had a GIANT picture of you laundry. do you remember that? I do, as it made my heart skip a beat LOL
    And letting your kids run around like that in the fresh air is soooooo good for them…kids these days don’t get enough of that nature-stuff.

19. Trisha 20

Wow – progress is certainly being made on your land! Nice. The burn piles will make for one heck of a weenie roast!

The mud looks like a load of fun for the kiddos and a load of annoyance for you! Good luck with the laundry!

20. Teri 21

Gosh Cathy, Have you heard of those Snapfish books? I hope so… wouldn’t that be the cutest gift for your boys this holiday season! I can just see all these beautiful pictures you have in a storybook put together for them! It would be so worth it! Then they could look at it over and over! snapfish.com I think.

Burn, baby, Burn! Sorry, I just couldn’t resist. This is a rare time in a little boy’s life, when he can spend quality time with heavy machinery, and bonfires to boot. Have fun! And buy brown socks; you’ll have fewer headaches!

22. Great pictures! Our 2-year-old is sitting next to me and nearly came out of his skin when he saw the big machines! What IS it about (any aged) boys and machines?!

Congratulations on the progress!

23. Awesome shots. I’m SO SO SO excited for you guys. I’m sure you were riddled with excitement when you drove up to the property.

24. Those burn piles aren’t just big – they are small mountains !!! Yikes !

Glad you are making progress. It’s fun to see the results of all your hard work, isn’t it ?

Little boys simply ATTRACT mud. Doesn’t matter how waterproof the boots are !

25. ELRA 26

Now I am jealous! May I visit you?

26. SnugBug 27

LOVE that mud! The pix are fabulous…and I love the sunset shot at the end. How cool that it is becoming reality!!

It was beautiful this weekend wasn’t it? My son and daughter would love to play on those big machines.

28. Wow.

Think of the memories these kids are racking up??

This is such a cool thing you’re doing.

Fun,fun, fun! I dare not show these pictures to my boy. Lord only knows how quickly he’d find his way to Oregon to play with your boys.
    Laundry is such a small thing, just buy new clothes.

30. tipper 31

Great pictures-great progress!

31. vanessa 32

what lucky hooligans! my nephew would be AMAZED by those machines. Again- fun to watch this progress!

32. dlyn 33

That is huge progress – and the soil there looks fabulous!

33. This is such fun to see. I’m not sure I realized that the vineyard was going to be in Oregon. I just printed a whole bunch of pictures off the internet of Oregon b/c my husband wants to go camping there when he gets back from his deployment in May. I never realized how beautiful Oregon is. Your children are so adorable, and yes, they look so natural with those big machines!

34. Tina 35

Wonderful photos! :)

Step by Step. Closer & Closer. I’ll bet you’re really starting to get excited now. Well, I know I am.

And yes, big machinery & boys just seem to go together like peas & carrots.

Love the crisp pictures but I don’t envy you the piles of laundry.

36. All boys like dirt. It’s genetic.

About the artifical Christmas trees, my husband and I argued for a YEAR about getting one. We didn’t have a tree our first year because of this. I was pro-real, he was pro-fake. I ended up bending b/c we found out he has terrible allgergies due to mold and mildew and shouldn’t have plants in the house(loud grumble here.) It’s really rather nice. I miss the smell and hunting one down, but you can get a nice one for aroun $100 and they’re so easy to put up and down. They do shed though at first, just like the real ones.

It’s really coming along!

38. jessy 39

Cool pictures!

39. The local quarry has a big celebration once year and my son paid to let his boys sit on big equipment. Your sons are lucky to be part of this great adventure.

40. Kim 41

It so looks like it is fun to be a boy in your home! I am so excited for you, can’t wait to see more of your project. I too missed you would be in Oregon, I thought you were in California. Glad you know where you will be.
    You can’t be into the earth, having a vineyard and buying a fake tree. I say you must have the real deal!

41. WOW! Progress indeed!

Hey, I have one of those blog awards for ya… will post tomorrow (Tuesday)…

42. Definitely has the “Are you my mother” look. What kid wouldn’t dig that?

Wow what fun. That area just looks like it will be gorgeous–it pretty much is now. It is killing me to not post pics so you can see the progress with the house!

44. ya’ll could have firewood for the rest of your lives! Are you imagining beautiful grape vines?

45. Oh I love the pictures the boys,it looked like they were having a blast! I bet your heart was just swelling watching the progression of your dream :o)

46. Cheryl 47

Seriously, I see a stunning coffee table book emerging…”From Clearing to Cabernet: The Noble Pig Family Story”

What great images…you WILL be offering the fruits of your labor via an online wine shop, yes?

47. Tammy W 48

We lived in Tacoma, WA for 6 years…I miss the beauty of the NorthWest but NOT the Seattle rain, well drizzle!

48. ALF 49

What a fun place for kids!

49. I LOVE seeing the progress. It must be terribly exciting for you. Your kids will have such a great time there!

that is one massive pile of rubbish. if i had had access to a mound like that when i was a kid, i would’ve immediately been filthy from head to toe. :)

Thanks for keeping us posted on your continuing story. It’s wonderful! That one pic of the dozer above your hoolgan’s head looked scary.

52. Dragon 53

Now that’s campfire material!

53. Can’t wait to see the beautiful vines some day…

54. Ahhhh….looks so serene. I wish I was there. Wanna fly me out to pick up sticks?? 😉

55. Hey, you could’ve had one heck of a Guy Fawke’s Night (bonfire) with that!! I loved your Kodak moment, great shot! why am I shouting?

56. jbrandt 57

That’s my cousin Willie up there… I’m not surprised he does a good job. He’s a good guy. 8)