It Was That Time Again…

…for the Father-Son Cub Scout Cake Bake.  However, the Wild Boar was not available so this year I had to step in.  My youngest hooligan wanted a racetrack cake.  So we made, “The Racetrack of Broken Dreams”.  We had overturned cars, a 10 car pile up and cars going off the track…all made possible by Krazy Glue of course.  I didn’t think I’d ever get my fingers unglued.

Luckily my oldest son wanted the Kitty Litter Cake.  We attached the big black cat and placed lots of extra poops and kitties around the cake for fun.  A sure gross out, perfect for a bunch of boys.

There were so many great cakes, I will show you a few of my friends masterpieces.  I did not ask their permission to show these photos so I will not mention their names.  Isn’t this gecko adorable?

The ultimate WWF Smackdown cake.  I love the use of licorice around the ring, it’s awesome.

Here is my youngest, proud scout with his cake.  For the life of me I couldn’t get my other hooligan to pose with his.  He was way too busy with his friends.  Whatever.

Well you know I loved this one.  Isn’t it adorable?  I love the eyelashes.

This cake was monstrous and so very cool.  Isn’t it great, down to it’s eight eyes!

There is always entertainment at our meetings and here my oldest hooligan is serenading us with a rendition of “Roadkill Stew” sung to the melody of Three Blind Mice.  It was hilarious.

Both my boys were very lucky at this year’s event.  Each of their cakes were chosen to be judged for 1st, 2nd or 3rd place.  A cake from each Den is taken to the front table and voted on by the boys for the awards.  My boys had their cakes next to each other, which was perfect for picture taking purposes.

I snapped this picture of my youngest as he was waiting to hear who the winner’s were.  I believe he was wishing for it to be him.  So sweet.

In the end they did not take top honors but do understand how special it is to have your cake placed on the front table for the special judging round.  Overall, another special night we will soon not forget.

1. Deeba 1

Adoreable cakes…this is just what I love about home-made stuff! They have so much character & love. The pigs eye-lashes are too cute…& the last pic is truly wonderful!

What a fun night for the kids and that last photo of your youngest is adorable!!

3. What a fun event ! I love the pictures of your hooligans and the expressions on their faces say so much. You are a winner as far as I am concerned, and the hooligans are winners all around for being in the scouts, baking cakes, and having a Mom who loves them so much and participates in the events that are important to them ! Way to go Noble Pig family ! Way to go Hooligans !

4. Great cakes!!! The cat litter box must have been such a sucess!!! I’m sure the kids had a lot of fun, but the parents as well!!!

5. I like the little chefs hats! The kitty litter cake always makes me giggle….

On your last comment, I totally agree! I don’t go to out of office functions (unless it’s lunch at the 50s diner down the street.) Way to akward…

6. The boys looked look they had fun! What a great evening. Way to go mom to help make memories.

7. That picture of your little one wishing so hard is the cutest picture. Your cakes were the best and I would have chosen yours for sure! Looked like a lot of fun!

8. How could the poop cake NOT take 1st place? On the gross factor alone? I love the last picture of your youngest hooligan – I know how it feels to wish that hard! Got to say, this is a scout meeting I could really get behind – all those lovely cakes:)

9. That last photo is one to treasure. Congratulations to both your boys.

I remember a few similar songs from our Cub Scout days, but not that particular one. Do you sing “Tom the Toad” to the tune of “O, Tannenbaum”?
    Oh Tom the Toad, oh Tom the Toad
    Why did you hop out in the road?
    (Repeat)
    You were alive, but now you’re dead
    Your face looks like a tire tread
    Oh Tom the Toad, oh Tom the Toad
    Why did you hop out in the road?

There are more verses with different animals too. Fun stuff!:o)

10. Wow – look at all of those masterpieces. The picture of your two boys is cute. Your youngest looks like he’s praying for a win.

Awesome cakes and adorable youngsters. What more can I say?

12. The cutest. Thanks so much for sharing some of the other ones too. It’s neat to see what people come up with. I personally love that race track one you did. That looks like a lot of frosting! Which one ended up winning??

13. Wow!!! I am so embarrassed to say our cub scout event just had sheet cakes (my son’s leader just told us to have him made a cake, nothing else, no info on prizes, creativity ideas, etc.). The cakes are then raffled off – boy picks a number out of a hat and comes home with the cake that has that number…
    I like yours better! Wah!
    Guess I’ll have to step up to the plate (pun!) and help get it more creative and eventful!

14. Tammy 16

All I can think is…. at least a dozen sugared up boys. OMG – the noise, the jumping, the special effects noises that boys make…

So glad you survived.

15. Wow!!! Now those are some super fun cakes!
    I like yours better! Wah!

16. Philly 18

I just love that cat litter cat !!

17. Suzette 19

Your boys are SO CUTE! Love their cakes. They will remember this night forever.

Wow those cakes look like the took lots of time and fun to make. I can just imagine that icing went everywhere when making these, oh wait that would be just in my kitchen! LOL!!

19. Cass 21

That cake is Fantastic. I’ve put it in the vault for the next boy birthday.

20. I love the way you think: Kitty litter cake and a racetrack full of wrecks! You are hilarious and I wish you were my mother growing up.

21. I’ll say it again: those are two lucky boys!

22. Both of your boy’s cakes were awesome! They’re so lucky to have such a creative cook for a mom!

23. Erin 25

They are so cute! Looks like a ton of fun. :)

24. annbb 26

What a neat scout project!

25. Trisha 27

Great looking cakes – some even looked like the Dads really were helping out! Such a neat idea!

The kitty litter cake is a favorite of Hubby’s. We have made it several times over the years and it is always a “crowd silencer.” I think the cake is delicious too!

What a great idea! I’ve not heard of that particular scouting event in these parts. You are such an awesome mom. Making 2 different cakes. I hope your boys realize how lucky they are! Never mind, I’m sure they totally take you for granted, which is nice in its own way.
    The kitty litter cake reminded me of one of the “appetizers” someone brought to The Boy’s karate Halloween party. It was bean dip with a potty seat (new, I hope) over the bowl. I forget what she called it, but it looked authentic! Right up your alley…
    Congratulations to the boys for making it to the final judging. I’m sure the cakes were delicious!

27. Amber 29

How fun. I can only assume that you are able to be a stay at home mom and if so how wonderful for you and your boys. Memories of experiences together are what kids remember. Not the stuff they have.
    You and your husband make very cute kids, more maybe?
    My dad was a boy scout too but only songs he remembers are dirty ones, not from the pack leader I am sure.

28. Daziano 30

Those photos are adorable!

I must confess I doubt I’d try a piece of that kitty litter box… maybe just for Halloween… maybe…

I love the eyelashes of the pig too!

29. Cheryl 31

LOVE your little one posing proudly with his cake(and then praying for victory). You may be a phenomenal cook, but I can see you’re more superlatively a mom. (and girl, with your recipes and images, that is a HUGE statement!)

30. I love the race track cake 😀 What a fun idea.

31. Kristen 33

The photo of your youngest praying and wishing is the best! Precious!

32. I am just sitting here giving thanks that our sons aren’t in the same pack… wow– when it comes to creativity, you take the cake (I slay me!).
    Really, the cakes were fab and I absolutely LOVE the look on your son’s face :-)

33. Katrina 35

What GREAT cakes. I love them all! The gecko is cool. The pics of your boys are priceless. Love the last one with the little guy just hoping….
    I have four boys, the oldest is the only one in scouts so far, but I also had brothers in scouts and I can say that NEVER did the cakes look that good!

34. misty 36

So fun, but wow the kitty litter cake is something…

35. tipper 37

Amazing cakes! Your little one is sooo cute!

36. Lo 38

Oh, what fun! These are excellent!

It must be because I have cats, but I honestly don’t think I could eat a bite of that kitty litter cake. :)

37. ELRA 39

Oink…Oink cake looks really adorable! All the cakes look so cute, My favorite photo is the last one. Your youngest hooligan looks so sweet, and perfect snap, Cathy.

38. ELRA 40

39. Creative! Clever! Congrats! You don’t mind if I pass on the cat box cake, do you? YUCKKKKKKK! (Glad I ate before coming to comment. Blech!)

40. Lisa 42

I always loved cake decorating and how much fun my kids had with what we could come up with. There are lots of great ideas here. And I do admire those spider eyes!

41. Tanya 43

What a great experience to be able to share with your sons. The car wreck cake is very impressive. I love the photo of your youngest son praying to win. He is too cute!

42. Becky 44

All of those cakes were adorable, as were the boys!
    But you didn’t tell us who won first place.
    I can’t believe one of yours didn’t win!

Cathy that one picture of your son wishing and a praying for his to win is absolutely priceless!

44. Love the cakes! All of them. But the pics of your boys are awesome, especially the “wishing” one!

What a wonderful mom you are!

45. Rachel 47

Cathy, those are spectacular!

I adore the wishing photo. so sweet! you are amazing.

46. Congratulations to your boys. We never had anything like that when my boys were in scouts. What great cakes.
    You took some great pictures too.

Cathy you are such a great mom. Those cakes are adorable and so are the boys.

48. Shirley 50

I have to agree that you are a fantastic mom! I really enjoyed the fun and creativity of making cakes for my son as he was growing up. Loved your cakes, the cool ones you took photos of, and especially the wishing photo. Even when your little one is a grown man, you’ll always be able to remember his sweet face in moments like these. :-)

The Hooligans are so cute in their uniforms. It brings back so many memories for me. Sniff! I cannot begin to picture what the winning cakes looked like. Geeze… did someone from The Food Network come to film it? I mean, your two were, in my opinion, exceptional, innovative and creative.

I guess it’s safe to say I (my children) could never have been in your (children’s) troop. We definitely weren’t anywhere even near worthy. Your stuff has just been knocking my lights out.

Carry On….

50. Those are all great cakes–but I like yours the best! You know I love that kitty litter cake!! Your Hooligans are SO cute!!

51. What a great event !!! And the cakes – they all should have won.

Who got to eat them in the end ?

(my fav from the picts was your kitty litter – how did you make the cat poo?… it looked real *gross* *roflmao*)

52. Biz 54

Those cakes look great!

53. shonda 55

These are so awesome, I can’t pick a favorite. I wish you were my kids’ mom.

54. Chou 56

I love the car pileup, and you are absolutely right, the kitty litter cake is exactly what little boys love. I still have years of only girl in a family of boy memories of pack meetings ringing in my brain–and you brought them all back.

55. Cool cakes – all of them. Yours especially Cathy. But do you make the little guys help you out or do you do it for them? I hope you keep them involved…yes, even in the making part (not just the eating part)!

the cakes are all adorable (i must say that the piggy is my favorite), but that shot of your boy with his hands clasped is one of the cutest things i’ve seen. ever. :)

I love that picture of your youngest with his hands clasped together – so adorable. All of the cakes look fantastic.

58. Those are great theme cakes. The fun is always in the anticipation and making of the goodies for these events…at least for me. It’s like the buildup to Christmas:D

59. vanessa 61

The clasped hands really get me – what a sweetheart!!

And The Racetrack of Broken Dreams? Awesome.

Again, that kitty litter cake would not be safe at my place 😉

Though the pictures of the cakes are cool, the one of your son wishing for the win is the best.

61. What fun! I have zero skillz with cakes. I love the car wrecks. And who doesn’t love a cake with kitty poop?

Have you seen the site cakewrecks.com? Hilarious.

62. giz 64

I hope you’re keeping scrapbooks about “why my kids should appreciate their mom”

63. Sarah 65

What a fun event! That pic of your little one making a wish at the end is priceless.

64. Dee 66

My kid would go wild for the Racetrack of Broken Dreams (and the superglue), but I love love how disgusting the kitty litter cake is.

65. Katie 67

How adorable. I wish we did something like that in girl scouts when I was a kid.

66. I knew there was a reason that I do not allow my kids to do boyscouts. It is too hard for the moms! I could never in a million years make a cake like any of those. My kids would bring the lamest cake every year and the social anguish would result in permanent scars on their delicate psyches! I love that race track cake. It reminds me of the Demolition Derbys my dad used to compete in when I was a kid. Too cute!