I Love a Good Game, But…

…college football is where it’s at.  Yesterday afternoon was spent attending the UC Davis (my alma mater) vs. Sacramento State’s annual, rival football game known as The Causeway Classic.

While I enjoy the NFL, the passion and heart found at college games is insurmountable.

Between the fans…

The band…

The band conducted by a superhero guy…

The cheering…

The hats…I love all the crazy hats…

Sitting right next to the Cal Aggie Band…

I mean look at them…are they not something right out of the Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Heart’s Club Band?

Our team, the Aggie’s, lost tonight after a five game winning streak (this was the final score)…

But the loyal fans will remain die-hards for the Blue & Gold.

And it really helps when your kids get to enjoy the game with good friends and you just happen to be a close family friend of the game’s announcer.  This allows the kids to run the football field, goal post to goal post, once the game is over.

And for them…

…it’s pure joy.

Great season Ag’s…see you next year!

1. Betty 1

Just way too cool for words!! But memories to keep forever. Way to go Cathy.

2. Raina 2

What a nice way to give praise to your team! I am a die hard football fan, Dallas Cowboys, but there is nothing like watching my 12 year old son play football as I have since he was 7. The parents we are like family now and cheer on all the boys on the field at every game, win or lose I would not trade watching him for anything in the world and yeah I brag, he is totally going to be in the NFL :)

Those football game pictures were great. The kids in our family all went to Texas A&M and we have a grandson who is now in the Texas Aggies Band. I know what you mean about the excitement and the passion. Your boys are full of it, I can tell by their expressions!! Thanks for sharing.

4. Great pictures! Next year we’ll be able to start taking the kids to football games. Well the older have been going but not the little one.

5. I have not seen such die hard fans, until I moved to Texas. My husband are at odds during college football season because my father-in-law loves the Longhorns, while my husband is a die-hard Aggies fan. Then there is the the high school football. That’s a level of fandom all unto itself. My oldest is in Kindergarten, but we are still psych that the high school football team is undefeated.

6. Shirley 6

I have to agree that there’s nothing like a college game to bring out one’s spirit and make one feel so alive. Beautiful pics that totally capture the fun of it all. So cool that the kids got to have such fun. I bet they were so happy and slept wonderfully afterward. :)

7. Being from Texas, I got a healthy dose of football at an early age. I love it! Your post describes exactly why. I love all the special little things the fans do – like pawing the air (Wildcats). The posters. The school colors everywhere. And…the band. Without the band, it’s just a game. Can you tell I’m a long-time band nerd/band mom?

I love football!

8. I love that Space Ghost was the conductor. That is nothing short of awesome. :)

This is Penn State Country! We live an hour away from State College, people around here take they’re college football very seriously! Great pics Cathy!

10. I saw the blue and gold and thought of the Blue”>http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/story.html?id=968e5262-cff0-4b20-b786-a0f8c82bfe14″>Blue Bombers…They’re my favourite CFL (Canadian Football League) team and they lost last night. Which means they’re out of the running for the final. Boo.

11. Sorry my link didn’t work and the comment got messed up. :(

12. I’ve never been to a football game in my life, but your pictures make me feel like I’m missing out!!! I absolutely adore the picture of the band members with the violet sky in the background!!

13. I’ve never understood the draw of pro football, but I love college football! Love it! And I went to Mississippi State, a college that has winning season..um, almost never! We still love our Bulldogs, though!

14. Football is fun! I can’t keep up with college football although The Old Goat keeps trying to update me! But I do love the sport… and all the pagentry!

15. Teri 15

Yes, there is something exciting about college football for sure! I think what it is… is the crowd is so darn proud! Proud parents, family members, friends. Their is so much more involvement around! Win or lose… it’s just the participation! The youth!

I have taken pictures at college games and they have never come out like your’s! They really capture the spirit Cathy! Looks like your hooligans had a blast!

What a fun day! Great pictures as well.

17. I’m sorry your team didn’t win–but it looks like a really fun game! And how cool you got to go on the field!

My husband and kds are the same way w/ USC!

18. Brandy 18

Space Ghost is always a fine conductor :)

19. Becky 19

Love those pics, Cathy. Makes me want to go to a football game. And I don’t even like football!

20. ELRA 20

Sounds like you really had a good time! I never been to see a college football game before. Sounds like fun!

21. krysta 21

i saw a little bit on the tv last night and i thought of you… the aggies always dominate the causeway classic so it was a little surprising to see them lose.

22. I have to agree with you. College football is the best!!!!!

23. I am so with you on this! Love my college ball!

I have an Ohio State fan and 3 West Virginia fans. They’re very happy to root for each other’s teams, fortunately for me!

25. I live in Football country. You know, where you have to go to confession if you miss one damn game.

26. It looks like tons of fun! MY college didn’t have a football team, so I missed all this. Sigh…

I must say, your photos are so crystal clear! They almost don’t look real!

27. tipper 27

Looks like tons of fun!

28. Erin 28

What a fun night! My sons are just starting to get into football, mostly thanks to my older boy now being a kindergartener and therefore being exposed to the wide world of sports outside of baseball (which is pretty much all my husband cares about). It’s been fun.

29. Lo! 29

You seriously can’t beat a good college game. I haven’t been to one in a good long while, but you’ve got me remembering what I’m missing.

30. Sandie 30

Oh Cathy…you sound just like my husband. He went to college on a full scholarship for playing football, and college ball will ALWAYS hold a special place in his heart.

It looks like you all had a blast!

31. I loved the pictures. The one of the hooligan standing and shouting was priceless.

32. Louise 32

Going to a college football game is such a dizzying experience and you captured it so well in your photos. Of course, if the game is good, and your team wins, all the better. But with the crowd, noise, bands, and peanuts, the whole experience is just a thrill.

Cathy, this is too funny… I agree that college football is the best. I also wanted to tell you that my *alien* neighbor that I’ve blogged about is the one that invented the big foam fingers, lol. That’s how he paid his way through college & will probably pay for all 5 of his kids as well.

34. Cool Photos. Nothing is as colorful as a college football game.

35. I love college football too. I was at Stanford when John Elway was there. ‘Nuff said.

36. Dee 36

In Malaysia, football means soccer; the closest thing we have to American football is rugby.

p/s
    The Slow-Cooked Moroccan Short Ribs look great. Need to dust off the slow cooker.

37. sharon 37

I’m a college football fanatic as well, but my team had no luck (ND) this weekend. :( I have never been to into the NFL, but I’m starting to get more interested. Lovely photos!

38. Amber 38

Wait in that last photo, half the guys had a support under their knees, hopefully it is preventative not injuries. I always prefer sports before they become professional, there is just so much heart. And I love a sport that my kids played because then I understand it. I also love how all of a sudden being in band becomes cool. What would a game be without them. What a fun day you had.

39. KathyB. 39

Wow! What a fantastic time for you all . I love the pics of the band and especially your kids.Now that is an event my Hubby and relatives would love.

Live football games are the best.

41. Go Aggies! My best friend, her two sisters,two nieces, and two sons are all UC Davis grads. I go with them each year to Picnic Day and the Battle of the Bands. Great school…..

42. PS: If you liked this game, wait until you get a load of Oregon! The game between U of O (Eugene) and OSU (Corvallis) is mega-crazy. The entire Willamette Valley tunes in…..

43. Especially I like pom pom girls 😉

44. oh that looks like so much fun and especially for the kids,love the hats too and the die hard fans outfits too cool :o)

45. The Hornets beat the Aggies? WTH? I’m a Hornet and I’m shocked! I didn’t think we ever won a football game! 😉

i love college football. the atmosphere is like no other, and the players wear the tightest pants known to man. :)

I’ve always thought college sports were much more fun than pro. Alas, even living in Davis and the time I spent there in my early twenties, I never went to an Aggies game. Bad me.

48. Melissa 48

I can’t fathom why Space Ghost was the Drum Major but ummm, it’s funny nonetheless.

How fun for you and the kiddos!

49. Jenny B 49

I LOOOOVE college football – I’m in the University of Nebraska Cornhusker marching band! I appreciate that you like the band :)
    Also, I love your posts and recipes!