The Log of the Land

I know this looks like a photograph of ordinary dead trees, waiting hopelessly to be made into small pieces of firewood.  Pictures can be deceiving.

These logs (the one on the bottom is immense), were left by the logging company on our land.  When the trees become this large in length and diameter with a slightly odd shape, they are sometimes left behind by the loggers.

To us, they are nostalgic reminders of what was there before us.  We have chosen not to haul them away and they are being set aside for our later use.

These logs will be commissioned into picnic tables for the vineyard with plaques explaining their past origin on this property.  Planks will also be made into flooring for the EVENTUAL tasting room.

Yes, it would be so much easier (and cheaper) to go buy some picnic tables and pergo flooring but we feel this will translate into something more meaningful.

We hope you will join us one day for lunch in the vineyard to share memories.

Halloween-A-Day-Photo

They have pillows for everything, why not Halloween?

1. You will sooooo appreciate using those big logs for tables and flooring for your winery and tasting room ! We have kept a few logs in various places around our property for sentimental and practical reasons. I wish we had kept more and would have used them to make tables…can’t wait to see your winery and sample the product of your hard work and dreams !

I love every post about your future venture! Maybe one day I’ll be lucky enough to sit at one of those tables!

Those halloween pillows remind me of some my grandmother had!

When you are famous for your wine, I will bring friends and sit at your tables and be able to say that I knew you when.

4. Becky 4

I’m with Kate…
    I’ll say I knew you when this all was a dream!
    We shared Halloween!
    The pillows are adorable!

5. katie 5

Oh I am so at lunch at the vineyard.

6. Did you make those pillows? So cute! I’m loving the Halloween pictures. You are so creative.

Don’t forget to enter the book contest today. I’m giving away a signed copy of Nicholas Sparks’ new novel, “The Lucky One”.

7. marcy 7

Oh that will surely be just the perfect additon!

Using the logs for flooring and tables is a wonderful idea. It’s things like that , that will make your winery very special.

9. Real wood is 1,00 times better than pergo flooring or any other prefab junk.
    Real wood is wonderful, the smell of it, the feel of it at your fingertips or under your feet, the warm,th and glopw and color of it.
    Glad you are wisely keeping those logs to be used in your home with love.

10. Leah Q 10

Your pillows and other sewed halloween items really want me thinking about getting back into sewing…as for logging, wow, can’t help you there….. wish I had the talent and patience and tools to make a wonderful neat pair of rocking chairs to be able to sit down and look over that wonderful valley with two lovely glasses of wine made from the grapes…..

11. Teri 11

Re-purposing wood has so much character. You will love it way more than Pergo! It has a much better feel and smell. If you’ve ever been to Fess Parker’s they have creaky wood floor which adds so much character to their winery. I have a feeling your’s is going to have so much personality already!

Cute pillows, I love the kitty!

12. What a lovely thought with those logs! I’m really enjoying the photo journey!

13. melissa 13

I can’t wait……Love the pillows, my mum has a few of them

14. It’s wonderful that everything is being used and has a purpose. What a wonderful beginning!

15. I think that is a wonderful idea. I love it. And I will DEFINITELY come on by for lunch one day!!!

We join you every time you post. I’ so looking forward to watching you place unfold!

17. ELRA 17

Cathy,
    yes…. please please please invite me (us), we definitely will come…
    That is wonderful you are going to make a good use of what will remind you of your property. Off course it will more expensive, but I think it is really worth it!
    What type of wood are they?

18. Are you taking ressie’s?

And what a grand bunch of tables those will make. Reminds me of the “Big Sur” type furniture; gorgeous!

20. Erinn 20

I think that’s a fabulous (and eco-friendly) thing to do with those old logs, I like your thinking! As far as tasting wine and eating lunch, I look forward to it fondly!

It won’t be cheaper to buy picnic tables that will last for any length of time than to have them built by your hunky new jack of all trades! And they’ll be a great reminder of what has been, as you said.

22. I love that the logs will be turned into the floor. That is very cool.

23. ntsc 23

Back in the days that I was rebuilding an 1881 Brooklyn brownstone, I took down a fair number of interior walls. The studs were rough cut 3×5 lumber, probably chestnut. I took enough of them and built a front door (interior front door) out of them. It would have taken a battering ram quite well. The window was a piece of antique glass I found.

24. What a great idea. It is much more meaningful.

25. Shirley 25

Wonderful idea! We are huge real wood fans. We have 8 different kinds of wood in our home, including our very knotty white oak flooring. My husband lays hardwood floors. I know you and your clientele will greatly enjoy picnic tables and flooring that has a history.

Love the pillows, too! The pumpkin one is sort of a flatter version of my stuffed pumpkin I mentioned the other day. 😉

awesome logs and I love the plans you have for them!

27. Leslie 27

Cathy,
    I think it is WONDERFUL that you are saving the logs.

28. Fran 28

I love that you are doing this. I know your vineyard will be wonderful!

Fran

Well, your honoring the trees like that means that you are now officially an Oregonian. I’m so impressed with your plan for trees. I love visiting places where folks have paid tribute to the land and resources in similar ways. Just imagine your children’s children telling their children the story behind the flooring and tables. You can bet for sure now that I’ll be a patron of your winery when it’s up and running!

30. Tammy 30

We would love to stop by when you’re done….we took a drive to Oregon this summer…and it was a beautiful trip!!

31. Oh I love that idea!! I hope to see them someday when we stop by your winery!!

I think that is a great idea, especially the plank flooring. I love that. Cute pillows.

33. Calista 33

I want to come to your house to eat!! This stuff looks like da bomb!! Seriously, an underground passage for toads? This is too much!

34. Cheryl 34

What a wondrous repurposing! You’ll feel good with every step upon your floors. (Can I also just tell you my kids are hooked on your Halloween-a-day Photos? They ask to see them daily!)

35. What a neat thing do to do with that huge log! I love it!

What a great idea! I can’t wait to come taste some wine. I love places that do that sort of thing.

37. I think it’s a great idea. The lazy me, though might buy tables and then throw the plaque on them anyways :)

38. Busy-ness threatens to swallow all my linger-over-the blogdom time. I see I have a LOT of catching up to do around here. ; )

I’m noting, “Lunch with Noble Pig in tasting room” into my mental list of things I plan to do. To see your food in person (and taste en palate) and sip your pinot noir . . . aaaaaahhhhhh! I’ll be there with or without the planked flooring. : )

Happy Monday!

39. annbb 39

What a wonderful thing to do with those old logs!
    Lunch at your vineyard sounds like something I’ll be needing to do.

I think it’s a wonderful idea and a great way to recyle beautiful old trees.

I am so excited to come visit your vineyard when it’s up and running… where in Oregon is it located?

41. Lo 41

What a great idea, Cathy. I love when we can repurpose what’s been left behind for a new use!

LOVE the idea of picnic tables in the vineyard. Can’t wait until it’s all underway. I might be planning a visit!!

42. Erin 42

What a wonderful way to celebrate the land’s past. :)

43. I am humbled and impressed by your recycling of local materials. You are admirably frugal.

44. Deb 44

I am so enjoying watching your winery “come into being”! I am already planning my trip and bringing a load of friends with me! I cannot wait to sit at the table shown above:)

45. It’s going to look really cool! So cute those pillows!

46. shonda 46

You just name the date and I am there, girl. Will you cook up those scallops and grapes?

47. What a gorgeous piece of land. How exciting to watch your dream come to life, bit by bit.

48. K – where is the vineyard?

49. flutter 49

Oh my gosh those are so cute!!

I LOVE doing that with those logs. Good for you for taking the time and effort!

51. I commend you using wood from your land. I hate it when companies clear away the trees but you have to plant little new ones for eventual shade. Doesn’t make sense to me.

52. tipper 52

Totally neat that your using the logs. The tables and floor will have such meaning behind them.

53. I love reclaimed wood. I would also love to make a trip down to funny little Californian towns at some point in my life, and if that happens I would ALSO very much like to visit your winery.

And the list of things that I would live continues….

54. I can’t wait to show this to my husband. He’ll have us booked on a flight as soon as your vineyard is up and running just to see the floors and pinic tables. Oh, wait. He MAY be talked into tasting a little wine….hee hee!

55. Familia 55

would LOVE to come for a picnic in the vineyard! with the whole familia!

56. I would LOVE to come and sit at one of these tables… and one year, I just might :-)

57. Lori 57

It has been great to see things coming along with your property…and all the fun Halloween things you have! :)

58. Very cool tree recycling idea. And I DO hope to take advantage of those picnic benches one day SOON!!!

59. Can’t wait to visit when you are able serve lunch at tha vineyard… how many years away is that? :)