The Dream Begins

Here is the delivery of the CAT D8 Bulldozer to the vineyard property yesterday morning.

You have no idea how much this picture excites me.  This piece of machinery is so big the men who were there to control traffic couldn’t get anyone to pass.  People stayed and parked because it was like a special event taking place and they were not going to miss it.

Gawd I love country people.  Everyone has time to just sit and watch a dozer unload off a truck.  Love it.  Love it.

Here’s Willie with his dozer.  He is doing all the land clearing for us.  We love him.  He is the NICEST guy you could ever meet.  He has a deep Southern-like drawl, although he’s lived in Oregon his whole life.  Interesting huh?

Ladies, he’s single…..I’m just sayin’.

These piles are stumps of Douglas Fir that were recently logged.  They will be burned in the next few days.  I’m starting to like these heavy equipment shots, how about you?

Hmmm, this vineyard is quite the project.  Here’s one of the trees Willie pushed over with his dozer.   Now he needs to cut it into a million little pieces.  Fun.

Yes, these are bear tracks.  Apparently there is a mama with her two cubs roaming the land.  We will try to keep out of their way.

I’m not sure if this tree made it through the rest of the day, as Willie was still clearing when this picture was taken.  I doubt it will make it through tomorrow.  Sorry tree.

And this is the beginning of my vineyard.  Pinch me.

Halloween-A-Day-Photo

I love this stained glass hurricane lamp.  It casts a beautiful orange glow over the room when a candle is lit from the inside.  It stands a foot tall and has its place in the entryway of my home.

This is the best picture I could get when lit up.  Enjoy the glow….

1. Ooooooh! I can’t WAIT for you to have your vineyard! And wow on the bear tracks! :O Beautful lamp, btw. :)

2. ntsc 2

The previous owner of my property saw bears on the land. I’ve seen bear tracks within a 1/4 mile.

I’m ~35 miles from New York City.

3. Philly 3

Seems like Willie has his work cut out for him,,,,good luck !
    Oh and btw,,,you should give me that hurricane lamp

#1

4. Marcy 4

WOW congratulations Cathy, I can feel your excitement in the pictures and your words! I hope everything continues to go smoothly!

5. Debbie 5

That is some serious yard work!

6. I am almost giddy and it’s not even my vineyard! That’s awesome to begin a big-machinery handler Dating service too– what will you think of next?

LOVING the Halloweeny lamp.

wow what a tree he is cutting with the chainsaw… we have been speding every weekend clearing the additional half acre of our land and pretty much have all the small stuff down and cut and burned now the dozen or so big trees left to remove are waiting patiently but I am not sure any of them are as big as that one (big around ) all are over 100 ft tall ! anyway Love the clearing and big machines and WOW on the bears! I hope they move off into more dense woods!
    I love seeing this project as it happens its just cool!

8. Krissa 8

It’s finally happening and you must be so excited! I love seeing the pictures of the progress you’re making! Congratulations!! Your pumpkin hurricane lamp is so cute. I had a smaller version of it(note that I used the word ‘had’…) I loved it and had it for years, and it fell off a shelf the other day as I was putting up Halloween lights. It was so sad!!

9. Becky 9

Pinch, pinch! Yes, it’s a dream come true. I’m so excited for you. When we get finished with yours, we’ll start on mine! tee hee
    Love the hurricane lamp. I’ve never seen one like it.

10. I know what it’s like with the tree clearing. Granted, we’re clearing trees that came down because of Ike, but still, it’s a freaking huge job. At least we won’t go cold this winter!

it’s so awesome to see thing come together from the very beginning, I bet your crazy excited!

12. annbb 12

I’m so thrilled for you!

Bet it’s hard to contain your excitement!

13. Wow Cathy! That is so cool! After they clear the land, what will happen next? Will you plant the vineyard or will you have someone do it or will it be a combo of both? You must be in seventh heaven. This is so great!

14. Dee 14

I get so excited about Halloween everytime I visit, and we don’t even celebrate it here. Love the lamp!

You know the Australian Woman’s Weekly had this Eligible Farmer issue that made me want to pack my bags and catch a plane. I’m just saying.

15. Louise 15

Wow … this brings out my inner 3 year old just oogling over all that heavy equipment, and the bear tracks are like icing on the cake. No wonder you are so excited!

16. Jules 16

How exciting! I can’t wait to see the progress!

17. Marlene 17

I am so excited for you. The guy ain’t too bad to look at either…hmmm. When do you expect to start selling wine? I want to be one of the first to buy some!

18. Teri 18

This is very exciting! Watching a vineyard & winery grow from the ground up…oh man the only thing better is well, drinking the wine. Eagerly anticipating your first vintage.

Wine label idea for you – the photo of the scraggley tree. When I saw that I thought great wine label.

Teri

19. Rayrena 19

Ooooh, I’m all tingly. Hope the clearing continues to go well!

20. Kari 20

This is so exciting! Love the bear tracks. Thanks for sharing the progress with us.

21. Look at you making progress on your land! That could be the newest of children’s books – Willie and the Bulldozer!!!
    My fave Halloween thing yet is your little rats in your wine racks…too cute

22. It’s VERY exciting that you’re clearing the land!! I can’t wait to see the land transform into your vineyard!

Beautiful hurrincane lamp too!

23. So much fun! I want to see the bears.

24. I’m so jealous! But in a good way. You’re actually following a dream, no matter how scary. You should be so proud of yourself!

25. Trisha 25

Yeah! How exciting that things are actually progressing! Soon there will be wine from YOUR vineyard! Yeah!

26. very exciting

27. I remember how exciting it was for us to start building our house, I can’t imagine how excited you are about your dream. Congrats!!!

There is nothing quite as exciting as land clearing. When we went to Tennessee, we wanted to regrade a piece of property and hired a “pan”, which scoops dirt into its underbelly and dumps it elsewhere. The boys were little then, and could watch for hours on end.

29. Sandie 29

Consider yourself pinched! I’m thrilled for you. Your vineyard will be just fabulous and produce the best, juiciest grapes. How could it not with all those rolling hills and sunshine?!

30. SO excited for you guys!!!!!

31. shonda 31

You have big equipment on your place. You really are a farmer now.

32. ELRA 32

Cathy,
    Nothing excite me more then to see all of these action starting to realization! Bear and cub? Wow, I envy you…to be able to live so close with the wild. May I visit you?

I am so excited for you! There are wonderful vineyards here in Oregon, we try to do wine tasting as often as we can. Can’t wait until your vineyard is up and running!

34. I’m so excited for you! Congrats!

35. Amber 35

AAAAHHHHH! I hate dial up, I think I lost my comment.
    Okay short version…
    Love the CAT
    Love the countryside
    Love love love the bears
    Love how cute Willie is
    Congratulations!

36. krysta 36

how exciting. what do your boys think about the bear on your property?

37. Teri 37

Wow, like Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel! Only I guess that would be Willie and the Dozer… cute! Definitely a new kids book in the making!

How can you possibly sit still long enough to take time for your blog? You must be dancing around with excitement! So much to do!!!

Love your lantern! It must put off pretty light! Thanks for your pictures again! It always makes my day!

38. I am so thrilled for you and for me too because I get to watch the process of your dream coming true It’s fantastic!!!!

39. Erin 39

Congratulations! :)

40. Lori 40

Congratulations!!! What a fun time… I’m sure you’re giddy with excitement, I know I was when we did our big project. When the big equipment shows up… you’re committed… what a thrill!

I look forward to more updates!

How exciting watching the process of clearing. It is happening! Lovely lantern and lovely orange glow.

42. Misty 42

LOVE the pictures Cathy! I am excited for you! I also love the lamp…very pretty!

43. Lo 43

How very exciting!

I know how it feels to realize that the project in moving forward and there’s no turning back!

44. WOW.

Not much else to say other than let the work & fun begin.

HUGE CONGRATS!!! And best of luck with it!!! Can’t wait to come visit!

45. Rachel 45

Woo HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
    Yippeee!

46. KathyB. 46

It’s REALLY, REALLY HAPPENING! I too, love it when heavy machinery pulls in to do some work. It only means things are gonna get better, after a lot of trees and dirt are pushed around and piled. Are you going to have a humongous burn pile ? (Does Oregon allow that anymore ?) It would be the crowning touch of your Halloween celebrations to have a huge burning pile, invite any and all to bring their chairs, bottles of wine, marshmallows and hot dogs . Burn piles well – lit and tended offer a lot of time for gathering round and sharing ! Cheers!

47. Can I just tell you how much I am enjoying your blog? I just stumbled upon it a few nights ago, and I love it!

We have a 2-year-old son who is going to go berserk when I show him the pictures of that dozer, as he’s all about dozers and big trucks and such!

Wishing you good luck with the vineyard!

48. marye 48

wow. Your life. It’s so exciting and cool.
    Bulldozers. I can only imagine.

49. Kim 49

Congrtulations Kathy! Excellent greound breaking. To all the single girls thinking about Willie – Operators usually make a nice living. My uncle was a backhoe guy for his whole life and when retired sold the properties he had bought in Laguna Beach with his extra savings over the years and now has 10 million! Oh well – good luck and can’t wait to see the vines!

50. Amber 50

Hey Cathy,
    I thought you would like the mummy plates. They were from Target a couple years ago and $2.50 each. I have no regrets.
    I forgot to say, the lamp is quite pretty.
    What type of grapes?

51. Tammy 51

How exciting…..your vineyard is going to be beautiful!!

Those bear tracks are so cool! I had no idea the people in Oregon had accents. I know I’m stupid like that! LOL
    I love this Halloween picture. I’m not into the whole Halloween decorating stuff :::ducking::::
    But I love this hurricane glass…gorgeous!!!

53. Lara 53

Eeee! SO. Exciting. I can’t wait to drink your wine!

54. Whoop!WHoop!WHOOP! Yippee!

Love to see your dream coming true.

Whole lot more fun to come read about your dreams today. So far this week I have visited my stockbroker and peeled away the remains of our investments from the basement floor to re-establish them somewhere else and then I went to the dentist. This vineyard-clearing post ranks right up there as a BIG HIGH for the week. ; )

Love celebrating with you, my friend!

55. Shirley 55

Woohoo! A big day for you. Good you have Willie to help you out. :-) Bear tracks (wondering how bears and grapes mix). Neat hurricane glass!

56. YIPPEE… Congratulations I am so happy for you and for us too for that matter -Now it means that we are that much closer to coming for a visit and tasting your amazing wines to be!!

57. Mazel Tov! I hope everything goes smoothly.

58. Looking at the pictures I feel excited for you. You are starting a new adventure. How wonderful that must be.
    The old Halloween lamp is neat.

59. Mr Clairol is so jealous of the bulldozer, he’s speechless. He’s also salivating over your wood. (Gaw! I didn’t mean that to sound dirty!)

60. How exciting! I’m excited to see this – actually *breaking ground* + breaking the soil of your dreams to come true….many congrats to you! look forward to reading + seeing more 😉

61. Oh my! Nothin’ like a big ol’ piece of machinery…
    Way cool girl!
    Now, those bears.. I am the one who always sees the bears in the woods… always.
    And, can I say all your decorations are just killing me???? Yesterdays crows and rats really got me.
    Girl, you are obsessed….
    I’m just waiting for the tombstones. I know you have some..

62. Erin 62

A Vineyard!!! I am completely jealous right now.

63. oh wow. guess that means you aren’t saving any berries. you have to be so excited!!!!

64. dlyn 64

Love the photos of the big machines – we would stop what we were doing to watch that! Must be cause we live out in the country. :)

Congratulations on the dream beginning, Cathy. Hey, your name is all over Mental P’s site today.

66. Leslie 66

Cathy,
    I am so very excited for you!
    My jeans you ask? Slowly but surly!

67. Chou 67

Naw, they were just excited to see your excitement. :) Congrats!

68. Cassie 68

Oooh I’m so excited for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

69. medstudentwife 69

Those pictures are sooooo kwel !!! I’m so excited for you :)

How exciting for you! I’m excited too! I love watching and reading your progress!

71. Cheryl 71

Thou shalt not covet thy blogfriend’s pending vineyard, yea, nor her proximity to a real-life “Blueberries for Sal” experience….

Oh Cathy…so thrilled for you. Can hardly wait to see how it all unfolds!

72. magpie 72

Ooh, heavy equipment. So cool.

73. What an amazing dream!

74. sassy 74

I would have been so excited i would have wet myself!

Congradulations!

75. You’re own vineyard. Can you feel my jealousy? That is way better than being the favorite :)

76. I love the pictures! How exciting! I can’t wait to see the next batch!

77. melissa 77

Will you be moving to be closer to the vineyard? I can’t remember how far away you are I just remembered you stayed at a hotel. Right? Or am I wrong? I am so excited for you I hope that someday if I ever get to your neck of the woods and your vineyard is producing and you are giving tours that I can go and I can say I say it before it became what it is today. I’ve had 4 cups of coffee today. Pumpkin Pie Spice.

78. tipper 78

Got to love the heavy equipment! And the guys who run it. I know you’re so excited!!!

79. Exciting news! I would pinch you but you’re too far!!! Poor tree :(

Wahoo, congrats on the big dozer coming and clearing. It has started hasn’t it? Wahoo!

81. Yay!! Congratulations!!

This is so exciting! You have to post pictures every day!

83. Yay! How exciting! It’s good that you are taking photos at all the stages and documenting your progress. I think that’s something you’ll look back on and appreciate later.

We are in Ohio for a few more days for a conference. One of our friends who is here for the conference is from the Portland area and I thought of you and your vineyard when I saw him.