Devils on Horseback – Bacon Wrapped Shrimp with a Chili Garlic Remoulade

…or Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp with a Chili-Garlic Remoulade.  I mean really, does it matter what the name is?  If you serve it on Halloween it’s Devils on Horseback.  If it’s a Wednesday night in February, then it’s Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp.  Get it?

So this is a really yummy appetizer or even a main dish.  The shrimp stay really juicy because they are wrapped in bacon and broiled.  The sauce has a tiny kick to it and is very flavorful.  Overall, it’s a great party starter and looks impressive.

Try it, you’ll see what I mean!

Let’s make it…

Here’s what you’ll need:  Shrimp, white wine, lemon zest and juice, garlic-chili sauce, bacon, green onion, mayonnaise and salt.

In a non-reactive bowl, marinate shrimp for 15 minutes with 1/4 cup dry white wine, 1 teaspoon lemon zest, 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic-chili sauce and 1 teaspoon salt.

For the Remoulade, stir together 2/3 cup mayonnaise, 2 Tablespoons lemon juice, 1 Tablespoon chili-garlic sauce, 2 finely chopped green onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt.  Cover and chill until serving time.

Quarter 6 strips of bacon in half lengthwise and then again across the middle.  In other words, one piece of bacon will be cut into four strips.

Soak wooden skewers in water for twenty minutes before skewering shrimp.  Wrap each shrimp in a piece of bacon, securing bacon with wooden skewer, neck to tail in a half-moon.  Add three to four shrimp per skewer.

Position oven rack so the food will be 3-4 inches from the heat.  Preheat broiler.  I broiled the shrimp on low for about twelve minutes and I turned them three times for even browning.  DO NOT WALK AWAY FROM THE BROILER.  Watch your shrimp very carefully.  All ovens are different.  My cooking times could be very different from yours.  Just make sure shrimp are opaque and bacon is cooked through and crisp.

See, opaque and crisp.

I wanted to show you the serving dish the shrimp are in.  I used raw black beans to hold the skewers secure.  This is not just an ordinary bowl.

It’s a bone stand.  Isn’t it groovy?  It can be used for punch, candy, trifle and devils on horseback of course.  This was another wonderful birthday gift from those A+ friends of mine, Lisa, Lori, Wendy & Becky.  And of course if you must have it, rush on over to Pottery Barn before they’re gone!

Shrimp and spiders are a classic combination.

Just because.

Wooden skewers

For the Remoulade:
2/3 cup mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 Tablespoon prepared chili garlic sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 green onions, finely chopped (both white and green parts)

In a non-reactive bowl, marinate shrimp for 15 minutes with wine, lemon zest, garlic-chili sauce and salt.

For the Remoulade, stir together mayonnaise, lemon juice, chili-garlic sauce, green onions and salt.  Cover and chill until serving time.

Halloween-A-Day-Photo

Who thinks jingle bells are just for Christmas?  Well, they’re not.  This is my Halloween jingle wreath, isn’t it cute.  It’s about nine-inches in diameter and jingles every time the coat closet is opened and closed.

1. Philly 1

Here’s a dumb question. What is a non reactive bowl?

These look great!!

2. I want to have that for breakfast! Oh my that must be so good, that must be almost a sin! I love shrimp, bacon and garlic, that’s that pretty much for me!

3. Wow you have some great friends! Do you have a huge Halloween party? I love that bowl. Did you just have a birthday?

4. Oh, you are having such fun with Halloween! Great table settings.

Because I live on the Gulf Coast, you know I will be doing these devils on horseback soon. First thing this morning, even before coffee, I am desiring the taste of those crispy broiled critters. (shrimp, not the spiders lol) Thanks for the idea of broiling the bacon wrapped shrimp on skewers.

I just noticed one of the shrimp was missing from the final photo. I suppose they were just too tempting to pass up! lol

7. Becky 7

I want to come to your house for Halloween!!!
    Love that bowl, and the wreath, and the rocks, and….

8. Another great recipe…I’m definitely flying out to trick or treat at your house.

9. marcy 9

oh wow YUMMY , I lvoe shrimp, just might have to try that one!

10. Daziano 10

I’m loving each one of your Halloween creations!!!!!!!!

11. katie 11

Those look delicious! I love bacon wrapped shrimp.

12. You’ve got the cutest Halloween ideas (and decorations) around. These are wonderful shrimp skewers and I love the remoulade sauce (and the bowl!)

13. Deborah 13

Yes, I could definitely eat this as a main meal!! And I can’t believe how many Halloween decorations you have!

14. Yum. And yum.

15. Another one I will definitely try! Shrimp and bacon are 2 of my kids’ very favorite things! That sauce looks crazy good!

And of course I love the skull bowl! I’m going to go broke at Pottery Barn!!

16. Harmony 16

I bet my FIL will love these…thanks again for another great recipe!

17. Teri 17

Oh.
    My.
    God!
    That’s It! I’m marching right down to Pottery Barn today! Everyone is still sleeping… I’m just going to slip out the door, grab a coffee and wait for it to open! Darn it! I tried to hold out, but that looks just way too cute Cathy!

Tomorrow, Farmers Market to get the Shrimp for this! I made your Pork Chop Dinner the other night, and that was such a great by the way. So yummy and Fall like.

18. Deeba 18

These little devils are deliciously precious Cathy! And what’s not to like about these Halloween jingles…

19. Cathy 19

A non-reactive bowl would be a mixing vessel made of a non-porous material altering or adding flavor or even changing the color of the food you are preparing.

Examples of non-reactive materials would be, glass, stainless steel, enamel, glazed ceramic or plastic.  Stay away from aluminum, as that would be reactive.

The acid content in this dish from the lemon and wine, may react and absorb components of porous substances it comes in contact with, so this is why the recipe calls for a non-reactive bowl.

I hope this helps!

20. That Halloween Jingle Wreath is adorable. And if I liked shrimp, I’d be all over that recipe in every season ! Have a good weekend :)

21. Kevin 21

What a tasty sounding appetizer! Great presentation! I am liking the Halloween theme.

22. Bellini 22

It’s getting scarier and more delicious around here:D

23. Biz 23

Oh my word, those look delicious! Bacon on anything is a winner!

24. Meg 24

okay, let me try this again, I don’t know where my first comment went!

THAT is the most AMAZING recipe I think you have ever posted, thank you!!!!

Hugs!

25. Shirley 25

I will be making this recipe for my next party. I love the remoulade sauce factor!

26. The presentation on this on is fantastic, love the black beans! You just can’t beat bacon wrapped shrimp, the best!

27. melly~ 27

it’s been too long since i’ve visited! you’ve been up to some yummy business, i see. i will be making these shrimp. and the por medalions and the cranberry tart things. oh mah gawd, you’re killing me here. in a good way. :)

i think my head would have exploded if i had been the friend on the side during that tart-making conversation. tart-maker certainly could have said no but i know, she’s just that nice. that’s TOO nice if you ask me and that B+ friend? she’d be failing in my book. :o\

28. TSannie 28

That looks delicious! And I love the serving piece.

29. Lori 29

Great looking shrimp…and I love that bowl/stand!

30. Rachel 30

This is one of our favorite snacks! We always add a jalapeno slice in there though :-) We also do this with Dove. YUM!!

Love remoulade!

Oh boy! Are we having a party? When, where, what shall I bring besides my own hotness. lol
    I can only imagine that you throw really good parties. I am totally loving this recipe.
    No double dipping!

Holy Halloween! Oh my Lord, these look outstanding. I mean I want to dash out to the store right this minute and get the ingredients to make these. Seriously, I want these right now! LOVE your decor; the black beans are genius! Do you have any kid party food? I’ve got a hoard of 12-13 year olds coming over next week for a party. Any ideas?

33. Leah Q 33

What a clever idea for using the raw black beans – you get twenty points just for that alone for the creativity!
    Another 25 points for the shrimp recipe and a whopping 45 points for using the halloween skull and bones bowl! – and the halloween bangle is right up my alley – i guess when you hear the bells ring, a ghost is getting its wings….

34. Another Halloween recipe. You have so many and they are all so good.

35. Amber 35

Okay I think this is one of your best photo posts yet. The dead shrimp are beautiful. ‘Dead shrimp” is another great name if you serve these on Halloween. Bacon wrapped anything is always the best.
    Now about all these people sucking up to you to come over for Halloween…let us not forget that I am not that far from you AND my sister and brother in law used to work for Caymus. Yeah, there’s my points earned.
    And what are you going to make with the black beans?
    I think you are having way too much fun. And that is the way to live life.

Oh man. I haven’t had a good remoulade in YEARS. Going to have to try this one. Mmmm.

37. Krissa 37

I will definitely try making these the next time we have guests… I’m tired of the scallops and bacon thing- these sound so much better. I have made the last 3 recipes you’ve posted, and they have been incredible- When I needed to make a nice dinner last weekend (we had friends over) I went right to your blog- and everyone ADORED the brisket I made!! That is just the best recipe EVER!! I am a complete buffoon in the kitchen, but I love your recipes- and they always turn out great!!! Thank you!

Bacon and shrimp..it’s all good!

39. I don’t eat Seafood……

There, I’ve said it

peace
    #2

40. Man you’re funny…Shrimp and bacon, an obvious winner. The homerun on this post is your remoulade. You should submit that photo to Tastespotting so people understand how to make it – awesome.

–Marc

41. Dee 41

Love the wreath – what a cool idea! I wonder what the neighbours would think if I hung one out? Something tasteful of course, skulls and daggers perhaps.

I’m a firm believer in the Powers of Bacon!

LOVE everything about this post!!

43. This title chilled my spine…just to see it. I thought it is about Darfur’s geonocide “devils on the horseback” documentary. Sad to watch.

Anyway, yummy recipe. Shrimp and bacon and spicy remoulade can’t go wrong.

shrimp always look so sad to me–permanently curled into the fetal position. maybe that’s why i don’t like them.
    no, no. it’s gotta be the texture. :)

45. Yes please! They look delicious. Especially in the bone bowl.

There is a classic British appetiser called devils on horseback that I love – prunes stuffed with a bit of chicken liver or water chesnut and rolled in bacon and grilled. But I think I like your version better.

46. My mom used to make these when we were younger…I love it! Thanks for bringing up a classic!

All I can say is…. Yuummmmmmmm!

48. seriously?

49. tipper 49

Shrimp and bacon what else do you need?!

50. Okay, it may only be me but the shrimp look like they’re synchronized swimmers about to jump into the dip pool.

51. Now that is some great looking skewered shrimp!! WOW love the sauce as well I can actually see how that sauce could be used for a number of dishes…

Who cares what they are called, they look great. Yum.

Bacon! Shrimp! My idea of heaven. Yum.

54. These are amazing! I want to eat these, right now, all of them! Thanks for posting this!

55. This is certainly one impressive dish!

56. Shrimp and bacon what else do you need?!