Lemon-Caper Dip

Today in the United States we celebrate Labor Day.  A holiday that originated in the 1880’s to give the working citizens of America a day of rest.

I think for Americans it is a more significant celebration of the end of summer.

So as I was saying, it’s not Labor Day (or any holiday) unless I have some type of “dip”.  It doesn’t matter what kind, just as long as it exists in some shape or form in my kitchen.

Yesterday I was having a terrible salt craving so I opted for something with capers to satisfy the urge.  I make this Lemon-Caper Dip in two versions, low-fat and full-of-fat.  Of course the Wild Boar prefers the full-of-fat version but it’s easy to make either way and is only a matter of switching out one of the ingredients.

I made the lower-fat version this time using yogurt but for the full-of-fat version just substitute mayonnaise for the yogurt, it’s really good that way too.

Let’s make it together…

Here’s what you will need:  Sour cream, nonfat-plain yogurt (I prefer Greek yogurt because it is thick and not watery), capers, fresh lemon peel and fresh dill. (Substitute mayonnaise for the yogurt for the full-of-fat version.)

After washing your lemon take your handy-dandy lemon zester to make to make some lemon peel.  You will need
1 teaspoon lemon peel, chopped.

Combine 8 ounces sour cream, 1/2 cup plain yogurt (substitute mayonnaise for the yogurt if your hubby insists like mine often does), 2 Tablespoons chopped capers, 2 teaspoons chopped-fresh dill and 1 teaspoon finely chopped lemon peel.

Mix well and refrigerate until ready to use.

Find a really cute dish and fill it up with dip and garnish with more lemon peel and fresh dill.

Slice up your favorite vegetable dippers and serve with the dip! It’s that easy!

Happy Labor Day everyone.

Lemon-Caper Dip

1 8 oz. container sour cream
1/2 cup plain yogurt (low-fat or nonfat) substitute with mayonnaise for the full-of-fat version (it’s tasty)
2 Tablespoons drained capers, chopped
2 teaspoons chopped, fresh dill, more for garnish
1 teaspoon lemon peel, finely chopped, more for garnish

Combine sour cream, yogurt or mayonnaise, capers, fresh dill and lemon peel. Mix well and refrigerate until ready to use.

Slice up your favorite veggies and dip in!

1. Have a nice holiday Cathy! Dip all you can!

How cool is this?! Grumpy and I are starting our “eat healthier lifestyle” today! I bought veggies and low fat sour cream to make some dip – now I’ll grab some of that yogurt and make some. I only recently found that yogurt in our area – and I love it! Thanks for the recipe! Oh and the pictures are so crisp and clear. Love how sunny it is!

the dip looks good the vegies look even better and Labor day sure is not what it used to be when I was a kid :( I have not worked anywhere in years (hubby either) that recognises labor day as a holiday…when I was young it was the end of summer, family reunion time and the start of school. anyway Hope you have a wonderful Labor day!

Happy Labor Day! We had no celebration planned because of our threat of the hurricane, but I see a dip coming on! The storm is not going to affect our area too badly, so we do have something to celebrate after all, with a yummy dip. Thanks!

5. This looks fabulous! One of my favorite dishes is a pasta dish with lemon butter sauce which also features capers, so I know I love that combo. However, getting anyone in my family to try any of those veggies other than the carrots is highly unlikely. They sure look pretty though!

6. Good Monday morning to you, Cathy !

Those pictures look so good that you are making my mouth water before breakfast !

I use Brown Cow Cream Top Plain yogurt for the same reason that you use greek – I love how smooth and rich (and yes fat:) it is…

7. Leslie 8

Happy Labor DAY!!!
    I love the dip..and your photos look stunning for this post!

8. That looks so good that I could eat it for breakfast!

9. Lori 10

those photos are even more gorgeous than usual! the lighting, the color, the gorgeous dip, oh how i love dip. but man, the photos went to a new level…

Great dip recipe! I can’t wait to try it! Your photo’s are gorgeous too:)

11. Anna 12

So pretty! I also checked out your Davis Life recipe and I can give you the Southern seal of approval on that one! (Although I’ve never had fresh herbs snipped over my Low Country Boil and I I’ve NEVER seen anyone make it with head-on shrimp, but you definitely got the rest right! That spicy cocktail sauce looks divine.)

12. Suzette 13

Sounds good. I could use a change from Ranch dip! And, this can be South Beach friendly! Mine won’t be nearly as pretty as yours, though. Oh, it could. I’ve got the pretty/cute dishes and can make a colorful veggie array with the best of ’em. But, since this is a pantsless, makeupless, visitorless holiday, we’ll probably just have ours out of the bowl it was mixed in! :) Thanks for sharing yet another gorgeous dish.

13. That’s the cutest dip serving set I ever saw! The dip looks good but the dishes, now they… really get me.

Oh how I love salty! I’m gonna make this the kids will love it. Your recipe on Davis Life is making me drool!

15. How funny. We were having a conversation about “Greek yogurt” yesterday with my Greek MIL who had never heard of it, and none of us had seen it in the store. Where did you find it?

Looks like really yummy dip.

16. vanessa 17

well now that is the most beautiful bucket of veggies i’ve ever laid my eyes upon!

17. Cheryl 18

Officially salivating…and to get me salivating over veggies in ANY way (I know, I sound like a 3 year old) is QUITE impressive!

Your photographs are STUNNING….happy, happy Labor Day to you, too!

18. This looks amazing – I am a big fan of greek yogurt and am slowly learning about all the wonderful ways to incorporate into my cooking world. Thanks for one more to add to the recipes files!!
    Have a great Labor Day!!

Gorgeous. Now I want dip!

20. jancd 21

Did you grow the dill? I just saw some capers in the fridge, so I may just have to try this today. We’re kinda celebrating “dodging the storm” here today in Houston, so this would add to the fun.

21. I’m with you about dip. Gotta have it! This one looks really nice. I’ll bet it would be great with fish too.

22. I just love your presentation!

23. What a pretty looking dip… I’m so inspired to get myself a pot of fresh dill! :)

24. that looks great. Im with Wild Boar, I’ll take the fuul-fat. Its better for you anyway.

25. Jamie 26

And yum!

26. I just knew when I clicked on this, you would be saying it’s not a holiday unless there is wine. But, dip is pretty holidayish, too.

27. Damn! I wish I had seen this before I went to the store to get the food for our cookout today. It looks great!

28. ALF 29

Dip. Yum.

29. laura 30

i think you need to drive down to my neck of the woods and bring me this! i will be working because i always work o n labor day and celebrate with people who are truly, truly laboring….i ha ve already met three of them attending three births during the wee small hours of the morning.
    seriously, come down here because i need something this good while i am working hard!

30. Cassie 31

Ya. It’s snowing here today. Thanks for making me jealous. LOL!

Now, that is my kind of dip. Beautiful, vivid pictures too!

32. Oh yum. The bright colors alone draw me to your recipe! Love the simplicity of it too.

33. Wow, cathy…what kind of camera do you use? those pictures are ABSOLUTELY stunning.

34. STUNNING picture.

35. Congrats on being featured in a magazine! The dip looks wonderful!

36. and i would have sworn those were fennel fronds…

beautiful shot. funny about the holiday dip thing. you’re so right…

37. Kevin 38

That lemon caper dip looks really good. I would normally have something like that with fish. I will have to try it as a dip for vegetables.

Absolutely stunning photos Cathy.

39. tipper 40

I love dip-and this one sounds great!!

40. It’s Labour Day in Canada too, but unfortunately, I didn’t have any tasty dip…This looks great, and a good way to say a sloooow goodbye to winter.

41. ELRA 42

Cathy,
    I love capers so much, your dip look so good. I wouldn’t mind munching a bucket of veggies with your dip.

42. We had some kind of dip today but not as good as yours.

43. I’m a huge dip fan. You’re right about holidays plus dip!! It’s a must! Your dip recipe looks fantastic–I want it NOW!!

44. P.S. Forgot to say that your pics are beautiful!

The dip sounds fabulous. And that is the prettiest picture of vegetables, ever!

46. Dragon 47

Um, can I just say that your first photo is absolutely gorgeous! Can’t wait to try this dip.

47. that must be a delicious dip! Yummm!

48. Teri 49

Veggies looks so colorful and I love anything with LEMON! Your photos with the adorable white bucket and fish are so pretty and crisp looking!

49. Lo! 50

Seems I go dippy for dip! Those photos are making me crave a bit more… even after feasting all day long today. Delish.

50. I’ll bet if you added some grilled prawns to that it would be an awesome meal!!

51. Jude 52

Such beautiful and colorful pictures. Sounds like the perfect thing to say goodbye to summer.

52. Dee 53

Oh, thank you! By the way, the Malaysian Labour day is celebrated on the 1st of May. Just thought you’d like to know :)

53. Oooooh! So pretty and colorful!! The end of summer. :( I’m not ready for that yet.

love the little pail, love the dip, love the veggie spears, love labor day. hope you had a good one! :)

55. Lore 56

Even though labour day is long gone for us (we celebrate it in the begining of summer, on May 1st) there’s no way I would say no to this gorgeous dip! Love the Greek yoghurt version…YUMMY!

56. nina 57

I love the dip, the fresh veggies and the gorgeous photos…..it is just a super post,well done!!!!!
    Ps. If you think the US politics is interesting…..our runner up for President, is fighting off many dragons in court….assault, rape etc.

57. i love your pictures–what kind of camera do you use?

58. Jeff 59

Beautiful looking dip!! I am freaking drooling over here and you read my mind because I was craving some good veggie dip to replace the french onion dip with potato chips I have been consuming.

That pail of veggies is just adorable! I love cute little things. I’d need about 20 of them for my horde!

60. Sandie 61

Love the flavors and simplicity behind this dip. Beautiful photos by the way…the abundant colors make me happy just looking at them!

61. Sandy S 62

What a great idea! Capers are so underused (by me) – and I love them! Thanks for the recipe, and the beautiful pics.

Dang, I was in Davis yesterday for Labor Day celebrating my Grandmas 93rd birthday. I should have made this dip :)

Whoa! This dip looks fantastic! Capers, dill, and greek yogurt sounds like a great combo. I love your veggie dippers and that dip bowl is darling!

64. Umm. YUM! That looks fantastic!! So delish!! Thank you for sharing, lady!

65. Marysol 66

Mouthwatering, is about the only way to describe your lemon-caper dip. Thank you.

66. Maya 67

This is my kinda dinner!

67. Oh I LOVE capers! Have never heard of them in a dip – this I will have to save!

This is brilliant! And Cathy, if these are your photographs (and I think they must be), they just keep getting better and better. I love simple little recipes like this. God, your vegetables . . . I am actually lusting for them. Oh, my!

This sounds wonderful. Makes me want to be good and eat all my vegetables.

70. coco 71

The vegetables looks so wonderfully fresh and crisp. The dip sounds delicious.

71. Cute – I really like the plating.

72. Deborah 73

I have found that there are quite a few people who don’t like capers. I’m glad that I’m not like that – I love them and this dip sounds delicious!

73. Nell 74

Oh that looks lovely! I’d be inclined to use it with lots of things: beef fondue comes to mind. Love capers.

74. melissa 75

This is definitely a dip all for me. It reminds me of the creamier sauces I’ve been putting over broiled fish – so decadent, hard to resist.

And Cathy, your presentation is beeeyootiful.

75. and i’m baaaaack Cathy! I’ve been away for about a month and it feels so weird! It’s going to take me an entire week to catch up and visit everyone’s blog. I’m glad to report you are the honorable #2 of over 100 I must say hello to! I have a wild boar pic for you I took in Mexico! They got loose and were running all over the zoo avoiding being caught! They scared the S*** out of me as I turned a paved corner…Anyway, great dip. I recently used dill in a basil vinaigrette I made. This seems like an almost everyday winner… even for sandwich spread instead of mayo! :)

That’s so true. My mom always made dip as an appetizer kind of thing for before big dinners. Since she has moved across the country my sister in law has picked up the slack. I love dip. :)

77. Lori 78

Love the photos in this post, so bright and colorful!