I Screwed Up

I hate it when I make an error causing my kids total and deep heart-felt disappointment.

If you knew my six year old, you would know he has an exuberant personality, says he loves his life everyday and is grateful for everything.  I swear this kid wakes up with bluebirds on his shoulders and his happiness is infectious.  He is really the sweetest the little boy.  I have no idea where he gets this from!

Last night was going to be his very first Tiger Den meeting with his new Cub Scout troop.  He was over the moon excited and couldn’t wait to get there.  He waited all day.

Last night he was all dressed in his uniform with his Tiger handbook in his hands.  We got to the meeting location only to find out the meeting had happened the night before.

OMG I totally screwed up the dates.  I have so much going on this week I wrote it in on the wrong page.

I cannot even begin to tell you how disappointed my little guy was.  He was destroyed and heartbroken.  It killed me.

Crocodile sized tears all the way home.  I asked him how I could make it up to him, he said to just please not mess up the dates again.  I wanted to cry.  I think I did.

However, through his tears he managed to say, “Mom, I still love you even when you make mistakes”.

Those words were such a gift.  It is exactly what I tell him every time he makes a mistake too.

I’m sorry little guy, it won’t happen again.  I promise.

1. Lori 1

OH MAN. Nothing hurts worse than seeing your kid hurt and disappointed in the first place, and then when you are somehow mixed in the cause, that kills. But you got such a perfect opportunity to see your own influence, to see that you’re a wonderful mother, and to see that the words you say are making their way into your kids. That’ll be hard to remember in a few years, but it so so true. He’s a wonderful-looking boy, you can see his sweet spirit on his face.

2. He is a darling little boy! It’s so hard when we screw up and they forgive us. I think a lot of adults can learn from kids.

3. Leslie 4

ahhhhh..sad. I hate when my kids cry because their feelings are hurt. I would have cried too! I am sure 10 years from now he wont remember it

4. What a shame! We all make mistakes thought. What a sweet boy. I hope you’re feeling better today.

5. Nancy 6

What a sweet little boy. Brings me right back to when my 2 guys were Tigers. Now my 13yo Life Scout is taller than I am!

His reaction shows you are doing a great job. We all make mistakes-don’t punish yourself too much!

6. All I can tell you is that you must be doing something right to be raising such a good soul. There aren’t enough of them in the world.

7. he sounds much sweeter than me!!! i would have probably said, “mom, in 20 years i’m going to need years of therapy for this disappointment. thanks.”

just teasing!!! your kiddo is a cutie.

8. Philly 9

Ahhhhh, poor kid. Dissappointed is a part of life and we ADULTS sometimes screw up!!

#1

9. Becky 10

I don’t even want to think of the many mistakes I have made. And will make.
    I think children are more forgiving than adults. Love them all!

10. That story just broke my heart right in two.

Making mistakes with our children is just the bane of our parental existence, isn’t it? You are not alone in this…I know I’ve screwed up plenty of things with my daughter and I also know I will do it again, unintentionally.

I hope the little guy (AND YOU!) are okay today.

11. Poor thing. . . both of you. It happens to the best of us. Last year, I screwed up the time that Santa was going to be at our gym, for milk and cookies. It was all she could talk about the week before. We missed it. It sucked. She halfway forgot about it a week later.

12. What a little lamb.

13. Candy 14

Oh Cathy, I have totally been there and no exactly the kind of pain you are feeling. I wish I could be perfect all the time, but it is NOT the reality of my life.

My kids have been resilient too…but just as devestated. Poor things. Poor us!!

14. Misty 15

Oh Cathy, ((HUGS)) I have been there, you are human. I am so sorry. I wanted to bawl reading this because I know that heartache all too well. What a sweet boy you have!

15. Jules 16

What a guy!

16. Nell 17

Oh so sweet! Now I’m crying!

17. OMG what a sweet little guy!! Don’t beat yourself up for making a mistake–we ALL do it (I’ve done it too many times to remember!). The amazing thing about kids is how quickly they get over things–I’m sure you’ll still be thinking about this incident and he’ll have forgotten all about it!

Just a quickie–a couple years ago it was my 2 oldest boys’ big day at Six Flags w/ the school’s music dept. They had to be at school to get the bus at like 6:30 a.m. and I forgot to set my clock! My kids came running into my room at like 7 screaming. It was a nightmare!!

I did this with my 2nd son’s 2nd cub scouts meeting. There were only 5 kids in his den, and I was sure the time was 7PM, and the leader had left in disappointment because no one showed up at 6. Thankfully, he changed the time to 7, we all showed up, and a good time was had by all.

Poor little feller; 6 is such a sweet age.

19. Erin 20

Wow-that’s the saddest thing EVER!!! Soudns like a great little guy, and even his words of encouragement to you broke my heart! He’s going to be a great Cub Scout!!!

20. Teri 21

I saw a plaque once that said something about “Any Mom with Two Boy’s gets a automatic ticket to Heaven!” or something like that. It’s okay Mom, you’re allowed to make mistakes. He IS awfully angelic, isn’t he! Something about them boys!

21. Lisa 22

He really is the sweetest little man. That picture is just perfect of him. And you are a fabulous mother. I’ll give you a big hug later……. and I know how you feel! xoxoxox

22. Trisha 23

Poor little guy! I love the picture of him – his pride just shines through. I think it is so sweet that he loves you so much and isn’t afraid to tell you. He is really in tune to others’ feelings if he can try to comfort you despite his own sadness.

23. ELRA 24

Oh dear,
    poor little boy! sometimes, we all make mistake. I can understand your filling. Nothing hurt us more then seeing our children disappointment. Your holligans are sweet, very sweet.

24. Awww. Cathy, this is heart-wrenching. But, it’s lovely at the same time!

25. Oh no! I’m so sorry that happened! I’ve done things like that myself and I know how awful it feels. Your little guy is a trooper, though. Isn’t it amazing what a strong capacity for forgiveness that kids have.

You’d better get your act together, though. Trust me. They are not nearly as forgiving when they get to be teenagers! I learned that the hard way! 😉

26. OH mama! My heart goes out to the both of you….. What a little angel he is and what a sweet mommy you are…

27. He is so adorable!
    And isn’t it sweet that they learn what we teach them!
    You’re an awesome mom! Even when you mix up the dates!

28. Amber 29

Oh, be still my heart.

29. Katie 30

AWWW! I HATE those kinds of mistakes. I get through them by considering it a teaching moment. They learn that everybody makes mistakes and get to see you try to make up for it.

30. Awe! Sweet, sweet boy! I know exactly what you mean! So sorry.

31. krysta 32

i hate making those kind of mistakes… but thank goodness he’s such a sweetie pie and still loves you!

32. Fran 33

Even though we all make mistakes, this kind are the worse. Judging from his response, you are obviously doing a wonderful job at mothering!

Frannycakes

33. Here I was believing I was the only one that got dates messed up.
    It looks like your little guy will make a greart scout. From what you said he is already a great young man.

34. Anna 35

That just brought tears to my eyes!

Ohhh.. There is nothing worse than disappointing your child. What a sweet and kind little boy you have!

36. Familia 37

sweet boy!

You poor thing! You and he both! Sounds like you both handled it well, though. He sounds like a treasure.

38. You have the sweetest boy — and you must be doing something right, this one date missed notwithstanding. XOXOXO

39. Cheryl 40

Omigosh…what a wonderful little man you are raising. I’m weeping like a baby…and it’s not even my cycle. 😉

Please give him a big hug from a mama in Virginia who makes lots of mistakes, and appreciates his sense of forgiveness and love. (Cathy, you are a wonderful Mama. He’ll be leader of the pack…you wait and see!)

40. Tanya 41

Is this the same little guy who said he must be dreaming because he couldn’t believe he was going to Cub Scouts? He is adorable! I can tell you are doing a wonderful job raising your sons!

41. Aw, I’m so sorry for your boy’s (and yours!) disappointment. It won’t be long until the next meeting, and I’m sure you’ll find he didn’t miss much at all. How sweet he is to take it with such grace. You’ve taught him well by your example!

Bless his heart. What a grown up though to say how much he forgives you–that shows how much of a good Mom you truly are. You raised them right.

It’s so tough when we disappoint them! What an incredibly sweetie though to reassure you. Just goes to show that you are doing things right.

44. Ohhhhhhhhhh I want to cry now!

45. Lara 46

OH my god, what a sweetheart.

46. Wonderful words for you both to tell each-other… What a darling little boy. Mistakes can happen (especially when you are busy) , and it’s obvious that you felt so bad, it won’t happen again – and that matters… All will be okay in his world again, and he has a great Mom :)

47. laura 48

oh! what a sweet boy! i feel bad for both of you.
    he is such a cutie-pie.

48. KAYOLA 49

Out of the mouths of babes…I know how my children continually lead me and guide me to be a much better person…he is awesome…I ♥ his bluebirds and infectious happiness…I hope it rubbed off on me today!!!!

49. Marcy 50

Cathy I don’t think you scarred him for life. He will be ok. all of us do things like that and wish we could take them back. Your kids are adorable!

Sometimes when there’s a story including a child who is excited and is putting on a really pretty dress, or a brand new suit, or a spiffy uniform, I get a sinking feeling that something not good is going to happen. I’m so sorry. I’ve been messing up my dates a lot lately too.

What a tremendous character this young man has. (And handsome to boot!)

51. Alanna 52

Aw, what a little sweetheart. :) *sniff* He’s going to make an excellent scout.

What a sweet little soul. Its precious how our children love us unconditionally – even when we screw up.

53. Terrie 54

What a wonderful little guy! As a parent, every once in a while we get some feedback that tells us we’re doing a good job with our kids and encourages us to keep going—and you just had some beautiful feedback!

54. OMGosh, what a sweet thing for him to say. You have a wonderful little boy. You should be so proud and don’t worry, I am sure you will find some way to make it up to him. :)

Oh, he is such a sweetie. I’ve done this so many times, my kids used to be surprised when I got something right.

Good Lord you’re gonna make me cry, what a sweet baby boy. He’s gonna be the best cub scout ever I just know it.

57. Jamee 58

Ah, your post made me tear up. What a sweet little boy you have (adorable too).

58. Boy oh boy, I hate it when I disappoint my kids. It makes me so sad when I mess up. But they still love me too!

59. Shirley 60

My heart went out to you two! He is the most adorable kid. And, yes, you should be so proud of him for forgiving your mistake even in the middle of his disappointment. You probably won’t ever get one of those meetings wrong again, but other stuff will happen. We just can’t be perfect as moms. I have many tales like most mothers do. There was the time I had to drive my son an hour away to retake SATs and halfway there I realized I was on the wrong road and had to back track for miles. I turned around and we got to the town 10 minutes after it started. Then I couldn’t find the building. My son told me to forget it because they didn’t let you in after the start time anyway. I was horrified, but we went out to breakfast at his suggestion and we got over it. Needless to say, he wasn’t as keen on getting to the test as your little one was on going to the meeting. Hugs.

60. Melissa 61

Oh Cathy, that made me cry. Like everyone else said, you should be SO proud of what he said. Just wow. *SOB*

Cathy, it will surprise you 20 years from now when he tells you he doesn’t remember this AT ALL. This is a child with such a sweet countenance that the little hurts aren’t going to be what he remembers. It will be his mother’s love. Know that you’re not the only one and thanks for sharing. Bless you, girl.

62. MsMVNJ 63

What a dear little man; you’re a great mom – with all of the wonderful things you do, this will melt away..

63. ahhhh I love your little guy, ever since his T-ball game and scoring in the other teams game. I know you were sorry. Both boys are darling you are blessed!

64. What an angelic and sweet boy!! You’re so lucky! :)

65. rachel 66

It is so heartbreaking when we disappoint our children. That is so sad and so sweet. What a darling he is, and so grown up :-)

66. That nearly brought tears to my eyes! You’ve got one incredibly sweet little guy :-)

67. Cute boy and a lovely attitude – you’re doing a great job raising a good man!

68. Sandie 69

Oh Cathy, it happens, although it’s heartbreaking when we forget (even accidentally) special events of those we love. Your little guy is so cute… I bet his tears really did break your heart. You’re a mom, how could they have not?

69. sassy 70

That`s the wonderful thing about kids, no matter how many times we make a mistake concerning them, they forgive us. But us moms, we never forgive ourselves that easily, which might be a good thing, perhaps it makes us make a few less mistakes in the future.

he sure is a sweet little boy.

70. Oh wow, I might cry at anything that child said. he is so unbelievably cute. I can’t imagine how hard parenting will be, precisely for moments such as the one described, but kids are so amazing. I can’t wait to make babies!

Oh some of the first of many cracks in your heart. Hugs to both of you.

Oh. My. Gosh. Bless his heart! Man, I teared up when I read his heartfelt I still love you comment. What a fine young man you are raising. I’ve got to go get a tissue now. Sniff.

73. Lore 74

He’s the cutest little guy! My heart just stopped beating for a moment when I read your story but as he said he will still loves you. Oh and messing up dates…these things happen Cathy, no need to be so hard on yourself

there you go, pulling at my heartstrings first thing in the morning. :) what a sweetie you’ve got.

75. Erin 76

I just did that with a birthday party. Boy was I unpopular around the house that day. I also did it this week with an important meeting that I had. I was relieved that I’d missed it accidentally. I abhor meetings.
    Sorry for your little scout-what a sweetheart to express things so well and kindly. I hope my children will be as forgiving.

76. Rayrena 77

Oh, poor little guy! I can imagine your heartbreak. He has a sweet heart and you can be happy that you’ve given him that 😉

77. Mike 78

Doh! I could see from that photo how he could tug on the heart strings.

78. tipper 79

Awwwwh.

79. OMG now I’m crying! AAAAAGGGHHHHH! Please make that cutie his favorite brownies. And take him to the zoo. And work on a scout project with him.

80. I want to give you a hug and say “it’s ok”. Yeah….a screw up – but both you and he know that you meant well.

Sounds like a delightful kid. You’re clearly doing something right.

81. Lex the Mom 82

I just spent a while catching up. You are amazing & your children are, too. That boy is adorable & it’s telling of your parenting that he was fast to forgive.

Can you send him to spend some time with Andy? Although Dew is a good boy, laid back & quick to get over anger, he is a brick wall and so cranky sometimes. Happy in the morning, but snarling in the afternoon.

I have a couple of browned bananas (hard to come by here, too) – I have to make that cake! Absolutely! My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

I don’t get why parents stopped parenting, either & so many of them did – or do. Bullies are awful – in our community, I really don’t know of any and I know this is a very good thing. I need to do some behavior modification of my own – to myself. My kids are great elsewhere (far from perfect) but at home, sometimes they are like demons.

That sums up some of what I would have commented on – I’ll be around more – I missed reading your blog.

82. I really am sorry he was disappointed…
    All I know is he is the very cutest little guy I’ve seen in a long long time (ok, other than Dodgie and Conner).

83. WOW. What a mature young man. He must have a special mommy…

84. Awww, poor thing! What a doll in his little uniform!! We have a new Tiger Cub, too – Wanna buy some popcorn? 😛

I totally understand, I once promised to go have lunch with the kids at daycare (this was several years ago) made arrangements to take a long lunch, etc… then was so busy working, that I looked up, noticed the time and shouted “Oh my God!!” I called the DC immediately, and my Monkey was there in the office, crying his eyes out… I had to excuse myself from my desk to cry! He remembered it forever!!

85. Susan 86

I totally love your blog although I can’t begin to remember how I found you, lol.

Nothing like the feeling you’ve let them down, huh? How precious is he to tell you he still loved you?

86. Oh my gosh – did he really say that? What a sweet boy you have there. Kids learn that kind of thing from seeing it and hearing it in their homes. You all must be sweet people.

87. Oh, poor little guy. He’s so precious. But I suppose you already know that :)

88. Oh my goodness. This is why I should not read your blog at work. Usually it’s because I have an unfortunate affliction whereby I snort when I laugh….this time it’s because I got all misty eyed and nose-blowy…

89. Okay, so he’s tugging at my heart with that smile and that brand new uniform. Wow. I’m sure I never forgot anything. You know. Perfect parent and all? Right. Heck, my kids wouldn’t even ask me to do things for them because they just figured I wouldn’t have time. How sad is that?

90. Lynn 91

Aww that is so sweet of him to let you off the hook like that. I know how things like that go. I am currently in search of a new phone that will hold a schedule for me and yell at me to get places. I am so old. I went into Wal-Mart and asked if they sold Palm Pilots. I almost got laughed out of the store. My own husband even pretended to be interested in something else so as not to look like we came together! Oy…

My best, Lynn :o)