What’s With All The Butt-Cheeks?

Is it just me that’s noticed?

Is there a lot of butt-cheek action going on at the Olympics?

Have the women’s beach volleyball uniforms gone way beyond skimpy, almost see-through and lingerie-like with mesh side-panels and thin material?

Why do the men’s beach volleyball players have to wear long shorts and tank tops while the women are scantically clad?  Are we looking for ratings here?  Holy Cow.

I think if volleyball is played at the beach that’s one thing but in the Olympic arena, representing your country, I’m not sure it’s the right image to send.

When your eight-year old asks you why the volleyball lady’s butt is hanging out, that’s when you know things might have gone too far.

Even President Bush doesn’t know where to put his hands.

But it’s not just the women.

There are the Men’s Synchronized Divers.  Whoa.

Could their speedo be any tinier?

I don’t think adding a couple more inches of material to those suits would affect their performance.  The second those guys hit the water they reach around to pull up their suit that has seriously dropped below crack level.

I have seen more crack this week than I really ever wanted to.

So are athlete’s uniform’s getting sexier?  Or am I just getting older and more conservative?

89 Comments and 2 Replies

Cathy I love you! LOL my sentiments exactly, but it isn’t just the Olympics girl! Its everywhere but crack is hangin’ out! Scary.

2. Don’t complain!! That’s why the Olympics are so fun to watch! Those divers are yummy.

OK I have to do it – Go Aussie swimmers! You rock!

3. I’m thinking the next Olympics might just as well be like the first Olympics….NUDE! I mean, really, they might just as well be nude now.Of course, maybe pasties will do ? KathyB.

4. Rita 4

why? becos they have nice butt and they did’t get those from eating wat we post on our blogs *sob sob*

bring on more cheeks pls, and pass the potatoes, with more sour cream hehe

5. It’s everywhere. I think it all started in tennis with the Venus and (Sierra/ Serena?) twins and Anna Kornikova (however you spell that.) Just like every industry, it’s been sexed up.

No sir, I don’t like it. Just play the game and leave your butt crack where it belongs.

6. Leah Q 6

As I read other comments by your faithful followers of your blog – It is so interesting to read the varying opinions on matter hanging out from the Olympians’ uniforms.

Oddly enough it has been the American Swimsuits that have ADDED fabric – albeit slick, which have helped them be faster in the water while they swim to our delights ((blushes now, since I was taking a peek at them yesterday))….but when it comes to Bush and the Women’s Volley Ball Team, I have been waiting for someone to share my thoughts about this – ((I bow down to you Oh Noble Pig, as I am but a simple a jester in your court)) –

But if you ask me, I would prefer to leave behind all those photos of Pres Bush with his hands seemingly close to the back side of the team members. There are many sports and Olympics team members he could have ‘met’, I find his behavior despicable.

Putting our Government’s Jester aside, as for teams having barely anything on – There is a photo of the Brazilian women’s volley ball team, I swear she had a Brazilian Wax done and as she jesters to her other team mates which hands behind her back, fingers pointing, a photographer caught a photo of this moment – A belief I am starting to carry is that the Yahoo Account I have must be run by sex addicted men who need photos of scantily clad women circumventing the internet at any chance.

Oh Meow – I say clothe our Olympians and keep the women away from GW for avoiding any more awkward photo moments.

7. I agree with Blond Duck.
    We lived in Delray Beach when the Williams sisters first became very popular. I wouldn’t let my daughter be a ball runner. Everything was hanging out. Either that or they were putting it back in. Yeah I’d want to shake hands with one of them. Yuck
    Maybe I’m just weird.

8. Leslie 8

AT least they are not FAT butt cheeks!!!LOL

9. I think it’s a little bit of both, Cathy. “WE” are getting older and more conservitive and the uniforms are skimpier. But, if I looked like that in a bathing suit, I may dress skimpy, too. BEHIND CLOSED DOORS! There’s a time and place (beach) for that, and it’s not in front of t.v. cameras!

• Giselle 10

Cool, where is this Beach behind closed doors? I assume you mean private beach, but I would want to be around people in a skimpy suit, like a water park

10. Anne 11

My girls and I noticed the same. I actually heard the announce use the words “stud” and “buff” and we weren’t watching the men. Can you believe it? It’s totally all for the ratings.

11. rachel 12

What Cathy, didn’t you know? Due to the crushing economy the Olympics are doing their part and cutting expenses by minimizing the amount of materials in the athletes costumes.

12. sassy 13

Well, aside from the fact that you posted a very nice butt, and i`d almost give my blueberries for it, we really don`t need to see so much skin at the olympics, we get enough of that on regular tv.

Maybe the beach volleyball babes need bikinis to psyche themselves up to compete, you know, bikini=beach, or simply they believe, if you have it, flaunt it.

13. If I had a butt like that, you’d be seeing me in one of those numbers, too;)

14. Marcy 15

Nope you are not imagining it! I’ve noticed alot more (butt) crack and cheeks this week then I thought was humanly possible in one day!

• Giselle 16

When the girls bikini’s are that high up, you not only see cheek but half their crack too. I guess I’m in the other camp though, I think it looks good. Guys should definitely show their cheeks and lower crack too (for equality purposes)

15. Daziano 17

LoL

16. I was thinking the exact same thing! Those swim suits (I use that term loosely) on the synchronized divers…WOW. I turned to my husband and said…”they might as well be naked”. :0)

17. Dragon 19

I believe it’s all about image and possible endorsements. Sexy sells.

18. Nell 20

My husband and I were just commenting on this last night. I heard an interview with the Chinese volleyball gals who said they had a hard time getting used to the suits. I just don’t get it.

19. I have wondered why everyone isn’t using the butt spray to adhere everyone’s bottoms tightly on their butt. You know, the stuff that pageant chicks use for their swim suit competitions.

20. I’m telling you right now…if I looked like Kerri Walsh, I’d walk around in a bathing suit like that all day long.

21. Okay, when I saw your title for this post this morning, I thought maybe you’d been to my blog and saw the photo I posted of my littlest. It is butt check galore.

Synchronized diver, no doubt! My husband and I were watching it last night. As two of the guys hugged, we decided that they must be pretty secure to hug on international tv in Speedos if they are straight.
    According to Rowdy, my man who thinks he is an Olympics expert, the reason all these world records are being broken so feverishly is because they have figured out that shaving the clothes will shave that extra 1/10th of a second. That theory could be total BS, but somewhere or another that’s why my husband says they are down to threads.

@Leah Q, I laughed and laughed at “our Government’s Jester.” Good stuff, good stuff.

22. That pic of The Prez cracked me up!!

I think you’re right about the suits getting smaller! You won’t hear me complaining about the male divers, though!

23. This has been a much discussed topic at my house. We women’s want our Volleyball Eye Candy Back. The men use to play with no shirts. What gives? On the flip side…..ewwww – the women’s volleyball players are giving new meaning to “Crack Problem”.

Where’s the Beef?

24. Deeba 26

O thankfully you think the same. i thought maybe I was getting far too conservative in myold age, sitting in far off India. But there’s more butt to the Olympics than sport covered! Even all our papers are splattered with the same pics. Some cheek huh??Times are a changing & my little 9 year old (little for me) covers his eyes everytimg they have a butt on display!!

25. krysta 27

avp wants the women’s swimsuits to be small to attract viewers to the professional sport. there was some big bruhaha a while back ago about the suits. my sous chef says a properly fitting speedo you should be able to see butt crack to which i answered “what are they teaching you in water polo? i thought crack kills” i just think that if the women’s volleyball have to wear such small bikini’s, i’d like to see some of the men topless!

26. I was wondering the same thing but just thought I might be getting old… I think it has to do with rantings. I don’t know i condider myself very openminded but I really don’t need to see all those cheecks and cracks!

27. Greg 29

Is it any different than walking around the UCD campus in Spring quarter (Apart from the representing the US thing)?

28. Trisha 30

My thoughts exactly! I keep wondering if those darn bikini bottoms are going to slide off when they dive for a ball!

I must admit that I missed the diving. Rats! Not that I am into looking at butt cracks but I would like a little even time to balance off the beach volleyball uniforms.

29. Karly 31

I agree…too much with the butt cheeks. Also, what is up with all the girls hugging every time they score a point? EVERY. SINGLE. POINT.

30. Louise 32

Ditto!

31. This is funny! I got a call from a friend last night about 9pm. Her question: whats up with all the little butt’s?

32. Obviously it’s to get the teenage BOYS to watch the Olympics and maybe even to get them to want to go compete just to be near the cracks of doom – hahah.

Zac hasn’t missed a moment – his favorites, women’s gymnastics, all the swimming, and of course women’s vollyball. I haven’t caught him pausing it YET, but as a 13 yr old boy … it seriously wouldn’t surprise me in the least.

33. melly~ 35

crack is whack!

i honestly think the outfits have always been skimpy, maybe now looking through your mom eyes you have a different sort of perspective?

34. Ha! Why not just give up and go all nude? Because seriously – that would offend me much less than these obviously and totally uncomfortable fitness fashions. How can athletes perform at their best when their butts/other privies are weirdly . . . um . . . packaged?
    Speaking for myself, I’m still wearing fitness gear from the 1990s. I’m waiting for good sense to return to fitness fashion.

35. Kelly might be right. Teenagers are the best advertising demographic.

36. Bridgett 38

Funny post! I love reading all the differing views. Myself, I don’t have a problem with their outfits. I’m more interested in the game and my kids have yet to make a comment besides how cool these athletes are. Hey, if you have the body for beach volleyball, go for it! They look fantastic.

We were just talking about this yesterday. At least most of the male swimmers are wearing those leotard things now. Would men really watch women’s sports without the bikinis? I’m pretty sure that’s why it all started, to boost ratings which = advertising $, which = continued women’s pro sports.

38. sharon 40

Hmm, if my butt cheeks looked as good as that volleyball player’s than I probably would flaunt them too :)

If you see any old swimming highlights, today’s swimmers are definitely covering up more with their leggings than the tiny speedos of days past.

39. i’m not sure…but michael phelps’ swimsuit is WAAAY lower than anyone elses…i’m so puritanical…what can i say.

40. Tanya 42

It’s only a matter of time before their all wearing thongs and the girls as wearing pasties.

Woman’s volleyball was on the TV in a pub I went to for lunch the other day. The men at another table were GLUED to that TV. The wives…not so much.

41. I’m getting older and more conservative. And people are showing more skin than necessary. I’m going to be flamed for this, but I don’t like beach volleyball. Can’t they just play “real” volleyball? 😉

42. Becky 44

If it makes you feel any better, then swimming competitors are wearing full body suits! Maybe there’s a finite amount of spandex in the world and everyone else has to make up for their greediness. :)

Hey – if I had Kerri Walsh’s body I would SO wear the same thing.
    :) Becky

43. ntsc 45

The bikinis in women’s beach volleyball are governed by Olympic rules, yes the rules dictate the coverage down to the width of the cloth at the hip and the 3/4 bottom. I assume the same is true on the men, who are in ‘stylish’ baggie clothing,

As to Glorious Leader, the traditional greeting in beach volleyball is a slap on the butt, he actually stopped before he returned the one he had just gotten.

I doubt Mark Spitz was wearing much more than the divers in 72.

44. Ruth 46

I found it quite wierd that the female lacrosse players were all wearing very short, tight skirts. surely shorts would be just as good, if not better?

45. ALF 47

I would rather see the women wearing bikinis than men in speedos. Those girls are in awesome shape – good for them! The men, too for that matter. At least it’s not a bunch of chubby fatsos wearing outfits like that.

46. Sheesh, I am SO bored with the beach volleyball. Serve, set, spike. Over & over & over. I swear it’s the only thing that’s been on since Aug. 8th. I can’t even tell if I’m watching a rerun or actual match. So, for me, yeah I think the only reason it’s on is the bikinis. Does anyone except So Cal pp even play this “sport”?

I agree that I would rather not see quite so much skin as they are gracing us with. I don’t know the regulations and the whys but I just don’t care to see it male OR female. I want to see the sport not the skin. I’m old.

I think my eye’s popped out when I saw the US volleyball outfits. I can only imagine what they’ll wear in the next Olympics … stick on spandex maybe? Oh well, they are getting their 15 minutes of fame … too bad it’s not for their playing talent!

49. You’re right– bottoms are getting smaller. I saw a women in the GROCERY STORE who was showing more butt cheek than the volleyball players.

50. They are in magnificent shape which makes it a little easier. However, I would prefer watching the sport without wondering if a wardrobe malfunction is around the corner.

51. marianne 53

how funny!!! i noticed about a year ago that my husband had gotten very interested in girls volleyball. i was always doing something so i never really paid any attention to it until i sat down one afternoon to watch with him. oh my gosh!! no wonder. now i just tell him they are young enough to be his daughters and he is being a perv. gets him eveytime and suddenly it’s back to football, baseball or whatever. i figured it was just me feeling old (50) and out of shape that thought it was all a bit skimpy. Nice to know others feel the same way.

52. I guess I hadn’t considered it, although I did think the divers were a little on the skimpy side. But I watched volleyball last night and didn’t think a thing of it.

53. I love the (gay) boys…okay, okay…shouldn’t generalize, BUT…my girlfriend and I were watching it last night and she says (one of the most unbiased/non-judgemental people I know) as they men were diving “I bet all the gay men are watching this…whoa! look at those shorts…No, they ARE the gay boys…”
    Yes, I feel like they are going for ratings…
    Good thing I used to compete in a sport where I had to wear long pants (that were skin tight and held everything in) and a coat (good camo for my belly) HEE HEE HEE

54. Suzette 56

You’re absolutely right. I was wondering about whether one of those bikini bottoms was going to get peeled off by friction when someone hit the deck really hard. I guess the “uniforms” just reflect the reality of the sport. The last time I watched a volleyball game at the beach, the girls were nearly nekid – and the boys were wearing those gawdawful, ugly, knee-length baggy shorts. I don’t know which is worse.

55. Good question/point! :)

56. Rayrena 58

I’m all for the skin. I’d rather see skimpiness on athletes who’ve earned their bodies than on people who’ve been lipo-sucked and implanted to within an inch of their lives.

I don’t understand how basketball players can feel comfortable up and down the court with all that extra fabric between their legs. The skimpy skin tight outfits just seem more comfortable and less restricting when your being so active.

Plus, diving has such an important artistic aesthetic to it and seeing uniforms with national colors and symbols emblazoned on them would be distracting.

I’d kill for buns that were presentable…

I’m sure that there are a record breaking number of teenage boys watching the olympics this year!

58. I agree. When you feel a little lustful watching a sporting event, then the uniforms are too risque!

Ha! You’re funny. I think the players are just hotter this year, thus they look awesome in their knickers. If I looked like Phelps and Kerri Walsh I would be wearing that too. Plus, it’s been like 8 years since we’ve seen these players in their knickers LOL!

My husband is LOVING watching the womans beach volleyball. I just want equal time and have the mens volleyball guys without shirts! (Now you know why I watch water polo…it ain’t for the sport…)

61. IO thought it was just this old pious Pastor who thought that things were a bit skimpy.

62. Amy 64

You are so right… although my partner does not seem to mind in the slightest… I laugh over the constant “cheek coverage adjustments”… man and woman alike… they just LOOK uncomfortable…but you never know… “picking your seat” may become socially aceeptable is Michael Phelps does it too…

63. Lennie 65

Truth be told …. I honestly hadn’t noticed. Of course, I’m not watching much Olympics this year. Just not into it — although in the past, at times, I would be glued to the tv. But … not this year.

64. I was thinking the same thing, watching the volleyball players last night. Even Darling Daughter asked why the women were playing in bikinis.

I feel the same way you do. Too much skin showing, does not leave a good impression. But the look is worldwide, as you can see at the Olympics. Euruopeans have never been the modest type, and I understand it is a way of life for them….so maybe we are just being too conservative.

66. Daisy 68

Ah, there are too many crack cliches to choose from… I’ll have to refrain.

Yes, attire is getting smaller. At least based on your picture. Because, unpatriotic as it may be, I haven’t watched the Olympics since I was a kid. I consider myself a good litmus for change in that regard. I do not recall suits EVER being that skimpy.

Wouldn’t it be funny if our kids bucked the sex-trend, developed some kind of Victorian prudishness, and then mocked us for being so “loose?” That’d be awesome…

67. Ditto, butt cheeks, headlights, weenies, you name it. RIDICULOUS, the Romans did their sports butt naked. We are well on the way. It’s jes NASTY.

68. Dee 70

We were just talking about the outfits (rather, the lack of), and my husband said that it looks like a Ms World pageant on steroids.

Looks to me like President Bush knows exactly where to put his hands 😉

69. Sexuality & Sport = Better commercial and marketing.

Even women socccer is no exception.

I think Bush will choke on Pretzel again watching a live Olympic event.

70. wahaha, yes it’s quite a skin fest … though, over at the serious-swimming events, the special speedo swimsuits is getting more ‘coverage’ heh…

71. medstudentwife 73

I haven’t read all the comments – but ya know what….. maybe its time to do certain sports nude. If clothing is the drag factor, just take it all off & shave away.

Maybe in the original Olympics, a lot of the sports were done with less “clothing” than we have now ( and prudeness)

Can’t be worse than all the silent doping like EPO etc.

72. Julie 74

I was thinking the same exact thing last night watching volleyball.

73. Could it be a little of both? 😉 Just kidding! In too many things skimpier seems to be the rule nowdays! Now I’m the one showing my age! 😉

74. angie 76

You came HIGHLY recommended so I stopped by for a visit. I can see why you are so loved!

i’m a believer in the mantra “if you’ve got it, flaunt it.” that being said, i find that seeing those taut bodies is good inspiration for me to put the ice cream back in the freezer after a few biets… :)

76. I have noticed a LOT of cheeky action going on this year, too! And like you, I don’t remember all the cheeks being this visible in past Olympics. Hmmm…makes me never want to qualify. I don’t know that the world would appreciate my ultra white cheeks.

77. Molly 79

I’ve been thinking the same thing too. If I looked like Kerri, I’d be wearing an outfit like that but not while playing beach volleyball. How do they deal with the sand getting everywhere? And I do mean EVERYWHERE.

78. Dang! I have definitely been watching the wrong Olympics (I watched rowers– where’s the skin on the rowers?). Figures.

79. Leslie 81

Thanks for your comment on My “Fat Jeans” Video post! I suppose everyone goes through ups and downs in the Lb. department!

80. Tipper 82

There is butt crack hanging out all over the place!

81. Shirley 83

Good bodies or not, I don’t want to see those skimpy outfits. I won’t watch the volleyball. As for the diving swimsuits, let’s hope there are no wardrobe malfunctions. Of course, I guess I am so behind the times … I didn’t even remember synchronized diving being an Olympic sport and it seems it was officially added in 2000.

82. I think the uniform sponsors are the one responsible for this.

83. What is the secrate of the fitness Olympics playing candidates.

84. Melt away belly fat, get in shape and feel better with these tips for losing weight – for good

85. Other Internet users should advocate the content of this resource

86. Weight loss, in the context of medicine, health or physical fitness, is a reduction of the total body mass.

87. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing websites that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free.

88. kathleen biederstadt 90

I agree…gymnastics…volleyball..water polo..all with ass hanging out and I’m sure I’ve missed some…if the gymnast can preform in long sleeves can’t they at least cover their asses?

89. RoderickG 91

Women have always been exhibitionists.