Better Than Those Fancy-Schmancy Department Store Chocolate Chip Cookies…

Who doesn’t love a good cookie?  I’m not talking about the regular chocolate chip cookies we make for our kids sans the nuts and other little goodies.

I mean a good adult cookie.  I think I found one.

This cookie does have chocolate chips but it also has extra chocolate pulverized with the oatmeal to give it an extra special, rustic taste.  The addition of espresso powder also gives this cookie a little edge.

This is a cookie you sit down to eat with your coffee and enjoy as a complete dessert.  There will be no more buying cookies at the mall or bakery.  This one will satisfy all your needs.  I promise, promise, promise, promise.

So in honor of all elastic waistbands out there, let’s make it together shall we…

Here’s what you’ll need to get to the chocolate nirvana state:  Oatmeal (Old-fashioned), chocolate, brown sugar, granulated sugar, unsalted butter, eggs, vanilla extract, all-purpose flour, salt, baking soda, espresso powder, baking powder, semi-sweet chocolate chips and walnuts.

Slightly pulverize 2-1/2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal in a food processor, just breaking it up.  Add 8 ounces of chopped, semisweet, good chocolate to the oatmeal and grind until the oatmeal and chocolate are fully broken down.  Set aside.

In a separate bowl, whisk together 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 Tablespoon espresso powder and oatmeal/chocolate mixture.

Cream together, 1 cup unsalted butter, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup granulated sugar, 2 eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir to combine.  Stir in 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips and 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts.

Lightly grease or line with parchment two baking sheets.  I made 1/4 cup size dough balls in order to get a large cookie.  You can also make a smaller cookie using a 1 Tablespoon cookie scoop.  Leave enough room for the cookies to spread.

Place cookies in a 350 degree oven for 16 minutes if making a 1/4 cup sized cookie or 13 minutes if you made Tablespoon sized cookies.  Do not overbake as they will become hard.  Let sit for 2 minutes on the baking sheet before removing and place on a rack for cooling.

When they are ready, get out a fancy platter and give these cookies a prominent place on the counter.

Don’t you think you need one?  Just look at all those chocolate crevasses.

And since it’s the first day of school we had to wrap some up to take to my kid’s new teachers as well as the ones who made last year so special!

Enjoy!

1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 Tablespoon espresso powder
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts

Pulverize the oats slightly in a food processor before adding chocolate.  Add the chocolate and grind until oats and chocolate are finely ground.  Set aside.

In another bowl add flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, espresso powder and oat-chocolate mixture.  Whisk together until combined.  Cream together butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla.  Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir to combine.  Stir in nuts and chocolate chips.

Lightly grease or line with parchment two baking sheets.  To make large cookies use a 1/4 cup scoop to drop the dough on the baking sheets.  For smaller cookies use a Tablespoon size cookie scoop.

Place cookies in a 350 degree oven for 16 minutes if making a larger cookie and 13 minutes if making a smaller cookie.  Let sit on the baking sheet for two minutes after removing from the oven.  Place on a rack to cool.  Do not overbake or the cookies will be hard.

1. Deeba 1

For once in my life I wish I was a teacher & not a baker…LOL. Never seen cookies like this where you pulverize everything together. Now the vanilla extract under construction is making more & more sense to me. I think I need more than just one Cathy…truly better than store-bought. My belief always!!!

2. O.K. I am making these to take camping this week…for all us adults ! With the rain we are having I am feeling like I need to do a some baking and this is recipe just hits the spot. KathyB.

3. I’m glad I’m still on my pjs (pjs=elastic waist band)! I could eat that dough raw you know? They look great and adulty and delicious and… I want to be a teacher now!

How about a cup of expresso with that cookie? What a jolt!

5. Those look absolutely delicious! Sinfully delicious! And I think I have everything on hand to make them.

6. Those do look like some of the best cookies ever! Glad I’m an adult… too yummy to share with the kids!

7. Marcy 7

OMg those look absolutely YUMMY!

8. Leslie 8

NO CATHY…NO!!! I am trying to get RID of those elastic waistbands!!!

9. I’ll be happy to forward my home address so you can overnight some of those to me!

10. Lord. Have. Mercy.

11. Okay…lady…I am going to make these THIS weekend. I was just thinking about making cookies last night!
    Yummy

12. Lucky teachers! I’m having my coffee right now and I would kill to have one of those cookies w/ it!!

13. Steph 13

These look wonderful! I love making cookies, but I was getting tired of always making the same ones…these will definitely change it up a bit!!

14. Nell 14

My thighs love you. Oh.My.Word. those look good.

15. Kim 15

I’ll take a homemade over store bought any day. Lucky teachers!

16. how about sending some of those over to me for a taste test. then i will review them on my blog. :)

There’s no substitute for a homemade cookie! These look great! Lucky teachers

18. Suzette 18

Those look amazing! Hmmmm….how am I going to work them into South Beach? They DO seem to have quite a bit of fiber…

Love the way you made them all pretty to send to school.

19. Just when my pants were beginning to fit! What timing!

These look marvelous!

20. Erinn 20

I love how the chocolate can be seen melting in the center still. Yum, one with my morning coffee please? And well done with how you’re helpin’ the kids get a leg up at school! Nice work Mom!

21. These look yummy! Thanks for sharing.

22. Misty 22

YUMMMY! My mouth is watering looking at them. They seem so easy too! Great Recipe!

23. Leah Q 23

Now here’s a cookie I can get my teeth into! Wonderful photos again, and as always!
    …. as one who purposely does not buy cookies in the store except for those rare occasions when I must have double stuffed oreos, I insist I can make a better cookie at home, and my thinking is that it is better to work a few calories off with making the cookies at home, then by simply putting a package into my cart at the grocery store.

Elastic Waist Bands Unite!

24. Your pictures are gorgeous, Cathy ! I like eating cookies visually :)

And oooh, you used sea salt ! I never thought of that ! I’m going to try it next time…

I’m looking for a really good vanilla extract, too – I love Neilsen Massey’s Madagascar Bourbon pure, but Cook’s Illustrated said there was a better one out there, and they don’t have it here on the west coast.

Those cookies look delicious, thick and tasty and chewy and yummm with the espresso.

When I tried the King Arthur unbleached all-purpose flour, my tollhouse cookies were dry – Gold Medal unbleached made them much moister.
    So now I’m wondering if it was different for you with these.

Happy Wednesday to you !

25. I’m not a love of oatmeal cookies, but I would eat these in a heartbeat.

So do the kids really not want these? I’ll bet telling them they’re “adults only” will assure that the kids will gobble them up. 😀

26. Trisha 26

I KNEW I should have had breakfast before reading your post today!!! These look TOO delicious!

27. Katie 27

Aw! You’re such a good mom. I always wanted to be the mom who did things like make cookies for the kids’ teachers, but somehow we always seem lucky just to get to school dressed and on time sans cookies.

Those look delicious by the way, and very grown-up. Especially the espresso powder, yum!

28. krysta 28

anne, it’s so easy to make your own vanilla extract much better than anything you’ll ever buy. there are directions on the web. all you need is rum, vodka, or bourbon, some vannila beans and a little bit of vanilla extract. put it into a sealable bottle and let sit for a month or so… and you have your own vanilla.

29. What wouldn’t I give to receive that beautiful package… These cookies are calling out my name, Cathy!!

30. Harmony 30

I loathe oatmeal..but these look great! Can’t wait to try it out!

31. Louise 31

Oh, and even tied with a bow. What a thoughtful gift for the teachers.

32. I can’t wait to try these!

33. sharon 33

Oh, I love all those pictures. Makes my still sleepy eyes much happier! Conveniently, I have all of those ingredients in my pantry now. Hmmm….

34. Im just down the road, be there in a minute.

35. They look wonderful! I’ll have to make them for Ben since I’m allergic to chocolate (I’m sure he won’t mind having them all too himself!)

36. Teri 36

Ohh yummmy, I love to make oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. They’re not my kids favorites, so more for me! But I just told myself to stop wearing my workout pants for eating and use them to really WORK OUT in!!! Darn it Cathy! Your photos are so suggestive! Okay, just… one… more… time… then off to work out! really!

37. Well, not only do you make fabulous cookies… but you’re the model mom. What a great gift to tell the teachers you appreciate them :)

I’m a huge fan of chocolate chip cookies with oatmeal… they’re healthier that way, right??!!

38. Those look great! The recipe is similar to a cookie recipe that was passed around when I was in school back in the 1980s. Called the Mrs Fields Cookie Recipe. The story goes that a lady tried the Mrs Fields cookies, loved them, and asked to buy the recipe. They said “sure, it’ll be two fifty”. She was charged two hundred and fifty dollars, not two dollars, fifty cents! She was outraged so she mailed the recipe to everyone she could.

I think the story os folklore, but incorporating oatmeal into a chocolate chip cookie makes it great! Ive made the Mrs Fields recipe several times with rave reviews and even sent a batch of them to my wife (then fiancé) who was living in Russia (via fedex). Her and her co-workers eat them up quick!!

Your recipe here calls for chopped walnuts which I think are a great addition!

Not only do these cookies look fabulously delicious, but your pictures are incredible! Thanks for yet another great recipe!

40. Madelyn 40

OH.MY.WORD! This make me “slobber” like PioneerWoman’s bassett hound, Charlie!

YUM!!
    ~Mad(elyn) in Alabama

41. mmmmmmmmm can’t wait to try!

42. Well, I definitely love chocolate chip cookies as much as any kid might! But these look just as good, and perhaps a bit healthier now that there’s oats in there?

43. Those look like the best cookies EVER! Yum. So bookmarking those. Bet the batter is to die for too.

44. phillygirl64 44

I know that recipe (and story) as the Neiman-Marcus cookie…I used to make these a lot (sans nuts – allergic)

Oh yeah, now we’re talking serious cc cookie. No need to loosen the waistband as I still have on my s t r e t c h y gym clothes.
    Just like you said in one of my posts about sending off goodies to hubbys’ office and he’s the favorite person at work…well, this is so true for your kids. Love it.

46. Elle 46

ooooh, use # 32 for one of your (six?) jars of espresso powder, hehe! These look incredible. Amazingly incredible, even!

As for me, I’ll just slip into a princess seamed dress with no waistline on it. It makes you look thinner than you are, I promise, helps make up for those pancake stacks that attacked in Oregon, and will get along just fine with your cookies. I think my kids would like these, too; my youngest really likes the flavor of coffee (the kid’s a nut).

48. rachel 48

oh my heavenly deliciousness!!!
    Yummy!

49. Ulla 49

hehe, i love your blog info. i love jewish men too, and i love larry:P
    great blog. you have beautiful children and a beautiful pictures of the place you live, thanks for sharing:)

50. OH MY GAWD!!!!! overnight express mail puhleeze,,,,COOKIES!!!!!

51. Brie 51

MMM looks and sounds SO good. Cookies are my favorite. I will definitely be making these sometime soon!

I hate making cookies as I find they just never turn out right. But these…these look like I could eat the whole batch sitting in front of the TV watching Saturday morning cartoons…YUM!

53. Hello … goodbye — I’m off to run around the gardens 2,000 times, then make these cookies and eat … ummmm … one-some-many … and then go run around the garden 2000 more times. (I think I’ll need a snack after all that exercise, don’t you?) YUM!!!!

54. Thank you Krysta !
    Any particular website that you would recommend their recipe ? Or should I just do a generic search ?
    I like the idea…
    And do you use dark rum or light rum if you are going to use rum ?
    And if I was going to use bourbon, does jack daniels qualify ? I’m not sure if whisky is bourbon..
    Or should I try to find a high end vanilla vodka ?

55. Ahahaha, “elastic waistbands,” hilarious! These cookies sound fantastic.

56. Sounds DELISH!!! I love cookies and making them and then eating them!!! I will definitely have to try your recipe soon!!

57. If I liked cookies, these do look delicious…but cookies aren’t my thing. The wine?? Never would I pass up the wine! Just reading through and enjoying your posts over the last several days – this working ain’t all it’s cracked up to be! 😉

58. Cheryl 58

Oh my. Do I need to call them dessert, or is breakfast an option?

Yum, McYum.

Why don’t my student’s parents bring me cookies like these?!

60. Another great recipe to print out and hope we get to.

Chocolate on top of chocolate, now that’s a cookie!!

62. Dee 62

At the rate I’m going I’m going to have to live in elastics! I was nursing my coffee on the balcony contemplating a visit to the gym, but decided taking the elevator down 14 flours was too much effort. But these have oats, and they’re good for the heart, so they’re virtuous calories, right?

63. Gah! You kill me dead with this gorgeous cookie.

64. Dawn 64

Wow.

My mouth is watering.

65. EAT! 65

I am making these cookie just for me. I am always on the lookout for the perfect cookie – this may be it.

66. YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY! Please send me some. I have to have one right this very minute. I love any cookies with oatmeal in them and especially if they are chocolate chip AND oatmeal. Oh dears, I need one.

67. Karly 67

Those look YUMMY. Now, without sounding like a total weirdo, where did you get the cute little mini butters? I’ve only seen sticks that were 8tbsp…not 4. I love mini things. I can’t help it.

68. You always make me wish I did stuff like bake and make gifts and wrap things in cellophane.

But I don’t.

So I’ll continue to live vicariously.

No no no! You are EVIL! I just gained ten pounds looking at the picture!

Hey, I’m sitting on the couch having a glass of Red Truck Pinot Grigiot. Anything I should be aware of? I think I like it.

70. Lori 70

What a great gift for your kids’ teachers! :)

71. sassy 71

Annie, i just made my own Vanilla! I have to let it sit in the bottle for 2 months, it will be ready just before Christmas. I opened it and it smells sooooo vanillay!

1 Vanilla Bean
    1/4 cup of Vodka
    1 Tbls. Dark Rum

That`s it! Compliments of
    link to suzannemcminn.com

Must give credit where credit is due.

And Cathy, those cookies look amazing, i will try them next week!

72. ALF 72

I haven’t even had any dinner yet and now all I want to do is eat delicious cookies.

73. You just made me miss being a teacher. BUT, glad that I can stay home and bake some of these!!!

74. These really look wonderful and I had never seen mortons “fine” sea salt before I need to hunt my local stores and pick that up. love how you included the rich dark choc bar as well. I need to try this but one thing since this is geared for us Adults does this mean I have to share with the step kids??

75. ooohh!!! That’s one recipe I sure will try! Thanks for sharing!

76. Thank you, Sassy !

77. melissa 77

Those are jaw-dropping Cathy. An adult cookie… to be sure. I am not a sweets person these last many years, but I try for Steve to make stuff once in a while cause he LOVES stuff like this. This is very inspiring!

78. These cookies look freaking fantastic! I have to get our resident baker to bake me some of these. Thanks!

79. What the…$%^&…I thought the oatmeal was my grandmothers secret ingredient. I guess not. I love the espresso powder addition. Gonna have to try this one.

YUMMMMMMMYYYYYYY…..

80. OH GAWD.

That looks like baked heaven. I can’t wait to try these out for myself!

81. Rita 81

i don’t need…but boyyy i wantttt themmmm. HELP!

good heavens, what a cookie! i’d say that one of those beasts could satisfy me for the day, but it’d be a flat-out lie. if this is what grown-ups eat, maybe i’m finally ready to make the transition into adulthood… :)

Ooooh these look good. I am not a walnut fan but maybe I will try them with pecans….

These look really good and I also have the Neiman-Marcus cookie recipe. But the difference in mine is that it does not have espresso in it. That sounds like it would boost the taste quite a lot.

85. Cass 85

What I need is this recipe to make just 3 cookies. Because to make the whole batch would be self defeating in so many ways.

86. Kevin 86

Those cookies look really good. I like the sound of hitting the oats and some od the chocolate in the food processor.

87. tipper 87

You are always making me hungry!!!! Those look amazing.

88. nina 88

WOW, this is amazing. I love the additon of the espresso powder.

89. Wowie! These look terrific. I’m always up for discovering a new cookie recipe that’s a little on the different side. Looks like we had the same idea… I brought the teacher cookies at the end of our first week wrapped up just like yours are! I guess us foodie-type people tend to think alike!

90. There ought to be a law against extreme close-ups like that. I think I put on 5 lbs just looking at those cookies!

91. Daziano 91

Gosh, what a wonderful recipe!!! The pics are perfect too, I especially loved the last one

92. Dragon 92

Oh my! Are you sending me a little cellophane, ribbon wrapped package of heaven?

93. Wow, these look really great! And the packaging is gorgeous.

OMG. These are gorgeous, Cathy!

95. jancd 95

Well, I made these cookies tonight for my Bible Study class at church in the morning. Of course, I had to taste test and they were wonderful. I’ll have to test again in the morning with my morning coffee before church. Hope I have enough. ha. Jancd

96. how gorgeous! I bet the teachers were ecstatic to receive them. Love the step by step piccies~

97. Deborah 97

Yeah, homemade all of the way! My husband loves store bought cookies, but I could do without them. These sound great!

98. Kirstin Tesner 98

Loved these cookies! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I made these this weekend for my sister and they were awesome. This is my new favorite cookie recipe.

99. Hannah 99

I just made these and they are amazing! It has been an hour and I’ve eaten four, I’m doomed for the rest of the weekend.

100. SQKristin 100

That is needful to create a perfect quality dissertation writing when people are at study at the high school. Thence, your nice article related to this post supposes to be a perfect example for the economics thesis performers.

101. Sometimes different people have assignments to write the law essays related to this good post. But lots of them are inexperienced essays writers. Thus, what to do in this case? I instantly propose to purchase term paper at the research writing services.