Blueberry Crumblies….Elastic May Be Necessary

I swear it’s health food!  Really…it is.  Think antioxidants.

Yes, I know everyone is trying to fit into their summer wardrobe…but I’m weak, so pathetically weak.  But you already know that about me.

I also want to proclaim that elastic is an underrated textile.  It should be a staple in everyone’s clothing repertoire.  Who needs zippers and tight-fitting buttons anyway.  They are so 2007.

If I don’t have dessert around I just eat chocolate (which is always around) until it makes up for not having a fabulous goodie to munch on.  It’s pointless, so for me, it’s better to just give in to my cravings and patronize my ever-increasing sweet tooth.

Not to mention my addiction to blueberries is also a force to be reckoned with.

While flipping through Everyday Food magazine, I came across a recipe that inspired me to create something a wee-bit different.  I’m going to call it Blueberry Crumblies.  Why?  It just sounds good.  End of story.

Come on, I’ll show you how to make them.

Here’s what you’ll need before you have to start adding waistband extenders to all those summer shorts: Unsalted butter, all-purpose flour, light-brown sugar,salt, baking powder, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, eggs, blueberries and granulated sugar which is suspiciously missing in action.

To a medium sized bowl whisk together 6 Tablespoons of melted-unsalted butter, 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 cup all-purpose flour.

Mix this up with a fork until large moist crumble like pieces form.

This is what the crumbles will look like.  Cover this and keep in the refrigerator while you make the rest of this lovely concoction.

Once the topping mixture is in the fridge you will need to butter an 8 X 8 square baking pan.  Line the bottom with parchment paper leaving an overhang on two sides.  Butter and flour the paper and tap out the excess.

In another bowl whisk together 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt; set aside.

Using an electric mixer, beat 1/2 cup (1 stick) room temperature unsalted butter, 1 cup powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract until light and fluffy.  Add 2 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Reduce speed to low and mix in flour mixture.  Scrape down the bowl and mix some more.

Spread the batter evenly in the pan and cover with 10 ounces of blueberries.  Just slightly press the blueberries into the batter.  Sprinkle the blueberries with 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar.

Remove the chilled topping from the refrigerator and sprinkle over the blueberries.

Bake until golden at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.  Cool completely in the pan.  Using the paper overhang, lift the cake out onto a work surface.  Cut into sixteen squares.

Yes, they are as moist as they look.  They honestly turn out incredible.  Just look at that.

This is the perfect afternoon snack…and evening,,,and probably mid-morning too!  Enjoy.

Blueberry Crumblies

6 Tablespoons unsalted butter (melted), plus 1/2 cup (1 stick) room temperature unsalted butter
1-3/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for the pan
1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
10 ounces blueberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Make topping: In a medium bowl, whisk together 6 Tablespoons melted butter, brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt; add 1 cup flour.  Mix with a fork until large, moist crumbs form.  Refrigerate topping until ready to use.

Butter an 8 X 8-inch square baking pan.  Line the bottom with parchment paper leaving an overhang on two sides; butter and flour paper, tapping out excess.

In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining 3/4 cup flour, baking powder and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; set aside.

Using an electric mixture beat 1/2 cup (1 stick) room temperature butter, powdered sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Reduce the speed to low, mix in flour mixture.

Spread batter evenly in pan, cover with the blueberries.  First sprinkle with granulated sugar and then cover with the crumb topping.

Bake until golden about 40-45 minutes.  Cool completely in pan.  Using paper overhang, lift cake out onto a work surface.

Cut into 16 squares.

1. Diane 1

Yummy! They look really nice! I know they’ll be good for puddings with lashings of hot custard and perhaps even sliced into bars for lunchboxes!
    Thank you for another delicious looking recipe to try!

2. Kim 2

Sounds great Cathy and perfect as I just recently purchased waistband clothes to accommodate the Southern cooking I have been doing. Love blueberry season.

3. You wouldn’t happen to live in Jersey where you could drop these off to a giant pregnant woman, would you? :)

4. I loooove blueberries, especially in baked things! These bars look great, sweet and summery (even if eating them means I will have to avoid my summer wardrobe) ;)

5. Mike 5

Those look delicious! To me, it screams for a cup of coffee…but that’s probably because I’m drinking coffee right now screaming for crumblies. Blueberries are like strawberries for me…can never have enough! Very nice work

6. Richard 6

Cathy – they look outstanding. I agree with Mike, hand me a cup of coffee with them. They remind me of a recipe I do out of Lee Bailey’s Southern Desserts Cookbook. It is called Blueberry Buckle. You put it in a 8″ springform pan. Our kids are in college and are always happy when we send one home for them and their friends. I also want to compliment you on your photography, we get several food magazines and their pictures have nothing on yours! Keep up the great work and we’ll keep enjoying it. :)

7. I never have thought to do the parchment paper thing – so obvious and it makes so much sense!

Those blueberry thingys??? They will KILL Mental P’s throw out the elastic for GOOD resolution! Delicious!

8. Totally yummers. I’ve had my eye on lots of different kinds of bars and crumbles and crunches. Elastic will definitely be in order.

9. Perfection.Mere perfection. I’m having a hard time typing cause the tears are still running down my face after reading “the hooligan meets the maxi pad” post.
    too too hilarious.

Guess what I’m making today? I just bought blueberries from Sam’s Club yesterday. There you go with that reading my mind thing again.

11. Good Morning!
    The pictures are not coming through, probably my computer and it’settings, but these SOUND Good

12. Insane Mama 12

I figured out the setting… OK, Looks Good Sounds Good, off to the market to get blueberries

I believe home baked goodies are the best thing you can feed your family anyway. Might as well have it around! I just bought some blueberries today haven’t decided what to do with them yet, we’ll see what I come up with (of who I copy!)

14. Lore 14

I could eat all 16 squares in no time. Love the berries and the crumbliness. YUM!

15. Irresistable. I don’t know how I could say no. I love blueberries and crumblies.

Elastic… here I come!

16. Claudia 16

Screw Angelina and Brad, Cathy, will you adopt me?

17. I was just looking at those last night in Everyday Food! Yours turned out beautifully. Martha should be asking you for advice at this point.

18. Kelly 18

Mmm, these look heavenly! I just finished off a batch of blueberry muffins — so out of respect for my hubby I might wait a week to try this one — lol

19. Another Home Run, Cathy! You are such a PRO! I expect to be seeing you on the tube sometime soon on your own show!

20. Indigo 20

Haha, I’ve just posted basically an apple version of these. Great minds XD. It didn’t stop me looking at that first picture and going, ‘WANT’.

21. Maureen 21

I’m a sucker for anything with “crumblies.” Mmmm…looks absolutely irresistable!

22. Kevin 22

Those bluberries crumblies look really good! I am looking forward to the blueberries this year. I just posted about a rhubarb crumble.

23. yum. I’ll take 2

24. I think we will print this out and save it for the next time we have to serve coffee after church.

When my blueberries finish ripening, this is definitely on the list.

26. brilynn 26

Summer wardrobe be damned, I need to bake! These look wonderful!

I can resist most desserts or sweets, but this is another story. I’m making Mr. Snooty go to the store & get me some fresh blueberries so that I can make this for ummm… just us.

28. leslie 28

ahhhh.blueberries!

29. sassy 29

I am making this tomarrow! It looks delicious.

Living in Northern Mn, i pick my own wild blueberries in the woods every summer, last year was a bumper year for berries. I am getting to the end of my stash of blueberries and this recipe is what i am going to use them on.

Thanks for sharing!

30. Kristy 30

Wow that looks/sounds good. I’m going to take this recipe with me for our 4th of July week at the beach house to share with everyone. I might just be the favorite Aunt after this :-D

Thanks for sharing.
    Kristy

31. Lex the Mom 31

Woman, you are killing me with blueberries! Heh! Of course I have to make this, too. I did make the Million dollar cookie recipe (with another home made peanut butter cookie recipe I love, rather than the store bought one) and those were amazing. I also made the lemony pancakes with the blueberry sauce (I’m so bad with names) and those were spectacular! You’ve got me doing much more than I ever thought I could. And they really are as simple as you make them look here!

Keep ’em coming – I have 2 more things to create in my kitchen now! I bow to your brilliance in imagery & finding the bestest recipes!!

32. Absolutely delicious – and good for me too! You’re a marvel x

33. Tipper 33

Can’t wait to try those-blueberries are my favorite!

Yeah I’m with Claudia, will you adopt me too?
    These are heavenly my dear. Sweet job.

35. Lennie 35

Must. Buy. Blueberries. Now.
    –Lennie

36. Deborah 36

I made something kind of similar awhile back, and now I’m really craving them. Yours look SOOO delicious!

37. I love having snacks like this around. Way better than munching on junk food.

38. Kim S 38

I made these today, they are great!
    Thanks.

39. sounds FABULOUS. thank god for empire waistline tops and dresses.
    here is something similar that my white trash mom used to make. for those of us who don’t have the patience for the steps involved in your wonderful recipe.
    one package of yellow cake mix with pudding in the mix.
    two cans of blueberry pie filling.
    one cube of butter.
    pour pie filling in bottom of rectangle pan. add dry cake mix on top of that. cut butter into slices and lay across the top of the dry cake mix.
    bake at 350* until butter is melted and brown.
    let cool completely. this is one of the few desserts that is actually yummy served straight from the fridge. none of that pesky wait time for heating up.
    ha!

40. Medena 40

My God, it looks so good! You are killing me lately!:)
    I have tagged you, but if you have done it B4, it’s fine; check out my blog…

You had me at Crumblies! These look great and heck, blueberries are good for you…

42. also underrated? pants with drawstring waists.

43. Elle 43

Cathy, these look incredible! I would love some of that right about now. And tomorrow, for breakfast.

44. giz 44

antioxidants, yeah, let’s go with that one.

45. Marcy 45

Hey there! Just got home a bit ago from San Antonio, and cruising thru my blog friends.. I like the looks of your blueberry crumblies… the recipe clooks almost exactly like my blueberry coffee cake that my mom gave me, only we call it blueberry buckle, but anyway you name it is YUMMY goodness;))
    ttyl

this may be my most favorite post of yours ever. period. blueberries alone rock my socks off, but when they’re combined with a crumb topping like the one you’ve concocted here, i’m willing to abandon my skinny jeans and health in general. period. love it. :)

You have got to stop this. My elastic is going to burst.

48. We share a weakness for sweets and blueberries:D

49. Lara 49

Mmmmm.

I have been known to eat an entire pint of blueberries in one sitting.

50. Get thee behind me, oh Satan of calories!

51. peabody 51

It certianly looks healthy to me…well, my kind of healthy!

52. Wendy 52

Great minds think alike :D I was just thinking – “COO!! I wonder if I could make this with apples instead!!” … so MERCI!! for your recipe!
    :D

53. Cindy H 53

Pictures are definitely worth a thousand words, and yours gave you credit! Anything with blueberries, I’m in, and this recipe sounds scrumptious!
    Thank You!

Cindy

54. Grace L 54

my blueberry crumblies turned out amazing! … only i couldnt wait for them to cool then eating them and ended up burning my tounge!
    Oh well, at least they were delish! :)

55. It looks so yummy! Can’t wait to try it!

56. Holly 56

Made these yesterday… AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!! So glad you posted the link with your blueberry bush discovery!