I am the Little League team parent for one of my hooligan's baseball teams.
We've had a tough season. It's a young team with not a lot of baseball experience among them.
However, we have three awesome coaches who have done everything to keep these boys spirits riding high even though the taste of victory has been in short supply.
Tonight is our last game and we are having a small celebration right after to give the boys their trophies and present the coaches with their gifts.
Yesterday I sent an email to the parents confirming the after-game-shindig.
One mother quickly shoots me back a note thanking me for putting everything together but her son will not be playing in the last game of the playoffs (he hasn't played in the past two either) and to just THROW his trophy in the trash because he doesn't need it.
Now to be fair, this boy has not been the most enthusiastic player in the group and the mother has not encouraged him to keep up his commitment to the team.
BUT instead of her saying to her son, "Hey, you have an obligation to fulfill to your team mates". She wants me to throw his trophy in the trash because.....???....baseball will then just disappear?
Let's not mention she emailed me a couple weeks ago, worried about his name being spelled correctly on the trophy.
Now throw it in the trash? That's a little harsh don't you think? And mean.
I feel so bad for this kid. Why should he be left out? I don't think it's fair.
However, I don't know anything about the family situation or the father.
What should I do, dump the trophy in the garbage as she wishes or take it over to their house after the game? By taking it over there, am I overstepping her parental wishes? She did pay for the trophy, why can't he just have it?
She's a meanie, in my opinion. Or should I just not care?
Subscribe by emailEnter your email address in the box below to receive notifications directly to your inbox each time there is a new blog post!
TWEETS @ noblepig
- Beer-Cider Slam https://t.co/VUpliBB7sp #NationalDrinkBeerDay https://t.co/UGTD0BJO33, 17 hours ago
- These Sweet Chicken Chipotle Bites are going to be your new favorite dinner. Serve with warm,… https://t.co/RUHjSs0XnE, 18 hours ago
- RT @BarefeetKitchen: Sweet Chipotle Chicken Bites are a BIG favorite from #theweeknightdinnercookbook via @noblepig… https://t.co/tBSrpODhFu, 20 hours ago
- RT @cookthenet: Bacon, Tomato and Cheddar Breakfast Bake. - https://t.co/I6CzpMqQri via: @noblepig https://t.co/HabyKxR8FX #FoodPorn, 20 hours ago
- RT @BruCrewLife: This Avocado & Three Bean Salad from @noblepig sounds delicious! https://t.co/bGIyMbYaM2 https://t.co/8QoeJxeMXe, 20 hours ago