Miley Cyrus, Spitzer Hooker and Paula Abdul…Oh My!

Let’s start with dear, sweet Miley…..Hmmmm.

I think her latest peril is being referred to as the, “Miley Cyrus Fiasco”.

I’m not buying it for a minute.

I think the, “Miley Cyrus Fiasco” is a calculated, geniusly executed, publicity plan.  Is it really a debacle for her?

I believe the plan was to take pictures portraying the insinuation of nudity.  Why not?  These kinds of pictures make you very popular.

Then print the pictures and show them, to everyone.  Or launch them in a large scale magazine.  This is very important in the master plan.

“Whoa,” everyone says, “Who’s this girl?  Hannah Montana, who?”

All of a sudden, a whole heck of a lot of people, who could have cared less about Hannah Montana, are suddenly interested and it’s not just teeny-boppers.

Now apologize for the photos and blame everything on the very famous photographer, Annie Leibowitz.  Play the victim.  Proclaim your innocence and vulnerability.  Appear tortured and embarrassed by what has happened to you.

Puh-leaze!  This is one of Disney’s most calculated, scripted, arrangements ever.

Did Miley think it would go this far?  I’m not sure.  But I’m sure Disney said they would back her up.  However, because it did go THAT far Disney is now back-pedaling and pulling Miley from appearances.  Oh no!

Of course there is the whole argument that, there is no bad publicity, but this story just puts a bad taste in my mouth.

What is with these Disney girls anyway?  Britney Spears, former mouseketeer, now pop-tart disaster.  Brit’s sister, Jamie Lynn Spears, Zoey 101 (she’s Nickelodeon), now underage and pregnant, trying to pass the GED.  Lindsay Lohan, need I say more and now Miley.  Sheesh!  (Insert head-shaking back and forth here).

A warning to parents of young girls, “Do not let your daughters enter into business relationships with Disney and maybe even Nickelodeon.  It’s potentially toxic!”

Let’s move on…

Ashley Dupre, the high-priced hooker who took down the Governor of New York.  You remember her, right?

Well, only in America is it so lucrative to become extremely popular with this type of publicity.

So what is Ashley up to these days?  How is she keeping up her very expensive lifestyle in check if she is no longer…ahem…servicing clients?

Well, she almost had a deal with Girls Gone Wild founder and CEO Joe Francis.  Joe has been pursuing Ashley with a one million dollar deal for a Girls Gone Wild photo shoot and tour.  During contract negotiations and lots of lawyer haggling, Girls Gone Wild happened to unearth their own archival footage of Miss Dupre from 2003 doing the typical Girls Gone Wild bad stuff.

The deal with Ashley was immediately called off by Joe Francis. These tapes are worth so much more in revenue to Girls Gone Wild than Ashley doing any type of photo shoot for them, especially since she wanted to do “less” than what was being asked of her.

Joe Francis actually said, “Our footage is from when she (Ashley) was 18-years-old, and it doesn’t get much better than that.  Elliott Spitzer has put some miles on that girl!”  Gasp.  Is that the ultimate insult or what?

Of course Ashley is claiming she wasn’t eighteen at the time of the shoot and to show the footage would be unlawful.  However, according to state and federal law, because the video does not contain sexual contact it is perfectly legal to reveal.

Ashley cannot stand the fact she is going to be sold as a commodity and will never see a piece of the action.  She is suing Joe Francis for $10 million dollars, much more than she could have ever made hooking for Elliott Spitzer.

Apparently Ashley is delusional in imagining her worth has increased to the tune of ten million bucks.  This just proves that beauty fades but stupid is forever.

Next….

Paula Abdul.  I think they should just leave her alone.  Am I defending Paula?  No.  But seriously…

Yes, she’s loopy, she cries a lot, she acts strange and YES SHE SCREWED UP LIVE TV the other night, but isn’t that what entertains us?

If Paula suddenly became overly serious and professional, wouldn’t we all be a little disappointed and skeptical?

Are we not there to see her flail around in her chair while making silly remarks that do no one any good?

If she did have some good advice would anybody listen anyway?

Doesn’t everyone understand that she is playing a scripted role, the role of the good mother?  She trys to remain positive before Simon steps in to bash the performance to smithereens.

It’s all an act!  But geez how the crowds turn on her when she messes up her lines and comments on a rehearsal performance.

Did it hurt the performer?  No.  He’s still there.  Did it hurt the credibility of the show?  I don’t think so.

For everyone to think Paula Abdul is going to run the institution that is “American Idol” into the ground, well it’s just silly don’t you think?

1. Rita 1

I love it when they do a publicity stunt…otherwise…reading abt them wont be as enjoyable, bring on more nudity plzzzzzzz lol

btw,

You’re invited to my chinese take-out party, check out the details in my blogpost:
    link to mochachocolatarita.blogspot.com

Hope you’ll play along :)

Looking forward to your take on chinese take-out ^_^

2. philly 2

“Miley Cyrus Fiasco” is a calculated, geniusly executed, publicity plan.

I think Miley’s parents new exactly what they were doin.

As for Ashely, not following that and Paul, I say, just leave her alone. She made a mistake, don’t we all?

3. Unbelievable. Handbasket to hell is getting very cramped…

4. Wha? The institution that is American Idol? I might use the word “institution”, but I’m thinking of a different usage for that word.

As for the Miley Cyrus debaucle, I’m not sure what to think. Part of me thinks it’s not such a bad picture and it is very artistic and lovely–not just some tasteless nudey photo. The other part of me is thinking, “What? She’s only 15?” I have a 15yodd, and I don’t think I’d want a photo like that of her in a magazine. It’s not the photo itself, but the magazine and context and so many eyes seeing God only knows what in it. She does seem to be much more level headed than these troubled starlets (or tartlets) and from a more stable family. Billy Ray Cyrus has some wonderful Christian songs and I just keep hoping he lives the values he sings about in those songs. I really want to believe this sweet girl won’t turn out to be another Britney or Jamie or Lindsay or (insert name of countless other little twits).

Okay, on to happier things. Care to devise a Mexican or Italian menu for ds’ graduation dinner? I’m trying to think of something I can pre-assemble before the ceremony and just pop in the oven for 30 minutes or so while everyone visits after. If we go with Mexican, I’m serving those margaritas and singing my alternate lyrics to “Margaritaville” loudly. Don’t worry, it’s perfectly appropriate entertainment for our family and will only scare off the relatives I don’t like.

5. I forgot to say:
    The title “Spitzer Hooker” reminds me of a raunchy line from one of the Austin Powers movies, “Robin, Maiden name Spits…”
    I’m sorry. I can’t help it. Say a prayer for my soul.

6. Oooo this was a good post Cathy…

My 12 year old daughter is (or was) a huge Miley Cyrus fan. Watches the show all the time, took her to the concert, you name it. She was so disappointed when she saw those pictures and compared her to Britney Spears. Then she said it was sad that there were no girls she could like in Hollywood because they were all messed up.

I agree with you. I think this was a calculated move on Disney and Miley’s part. Like you said, any kind of publicity is good publicity no matter what. I still question that photo though. If it were my daughter I would have said no way no how. It’s a very sensual picture and not one a 15 year old should be posing for under any circumstances.

I also agree with you on Paula Abduhl. I felt she might have ruined Jason Castro’s chances of coming back, and while he is my favorite on the show, I think he got a lot of sympathy votes that night because of her screw up. If she weren’t on the show doing these loopey, stupid things, no one would tune in.

7. Miley: I think she did the photo shoot in good faith and then when the poo hit the air circulator, she claimed she’s been duped. I think she’s not getting a lot of parental input, and she’s trying to extract herself from something that’s reasonably harmeless but that her public feels is “not our miley”. Surprise! She’s gonna grow up… on camera so to speak. Isn’t 15 about the right age to explore this “sexuality” thing. Leave the girl alone. Until she does a Zoey 101, it’s not that big a deal. Billy Ray… do your job!

Spitzer Hooker: Stupid is as stupid does. Stupid… it’s more than skin deep. The young and the stupid… Okay, I’m done with her now.

Paula has proved her prowess for embarassing behavior over what? 6 seasons? It’s not a surprise. Quit expecting different results and enjoy her for what she is or replace her. I think the show gets great ratings because of the judges. After all, they change the singers every year!

8. Tipper 8

I agree with the handbasket comment for the first two.

And I feel the same way about Paula as you do!

9. krysta 9

The picture in and of itself isn’t that bad. Have you seen the way girls are dressing nowadays? It was skin on her back and not at all suggestive. I didn’t think so. Disney and her parents handled badly. If you didn’t like it, you should’ve said something but they didn’t which makes you wonder. Anyways I’m sure that lots of people would love to have their picture taken by Annie Lebowitz.

Nickelodeon handled Zoey 101 a little better. They put up the finale right after they found out she was preggers and really haven’t been showing it since (except for tonight) and haven’t said much either. Better than Disney’s publicity machine.

Joe Francis is, excuse me but, a douche and Ashley isn’t very bright either. You are right about stupid.

I haven’t ever watched Idol so I can’t comment on that.

Good Post.

10. Another Miley house here! My dd is 10. I have not told her about this whole photo thing…as with Santa, the Easter Bunny, etc. – I’ll let her figure it out. I also heard there are worse photos in the mag (Miley draped over her dad’s lap, looking very suggestive)… I do think it’s natural that our sweet little princess is growing up (Miley, that is)and exploring her ‘artistic’ side… But her fans aren’t growing with her. They aren’t ready for Miley to grow up – in whatever shape or form or expression…
    She is a smart girl, as are her parents, they all had to have gone through the ‘what if’ scenarios and said, let’s do it, Annie is cool and a respected photographer’.. As far as Annie goes – who is also a Disney employee, I’m sure she shot hundreds of photos, and it was just a little more ‘to the left’ thing going on to get to THAT photo – which everyone knew would be the huge money maker… (Vanity Fair whispering in Annie’s ear – we will make this very very lucrative for you if you get that princess nekid).. So now everyone knows of Vanity Fair, Annie L., Miley & Co and Disney… Win Win for everyone, except all the little 10 year olds in the world..

Hookers: Oh well.. They make their beds and have to sleep in them at some point! Or, visa versa…
    Paula Baby: Same ol’ same ol…

those hollywood folks are a special breed of crazy. i hope you’re far enough away to avoid contamination. :)

12. I agree, totally calculated.

I’m just sick of having to explain these girls to my daughters. Wish I could just snap off the television, but THAT WOULD BE CRAZY.

heh. heh heh.

13. You pretty much hit the nail on the head for all three of those people in the news. Disney kids Jessica Simpson, Justin Timberlake and Christina Aguilera seem to be doing ok so far. Maybe they’ll stay out of the gossip.
    Miley? Seems a little strange that the pics were such a shocker to her parents. Weren’t they there when the photo shoot was taking place? When AL asked her to take off her top, wasn’t that a clue that somehow this wasn’t appropriate for a 15 year old to do?

Hooker- whatever. Old news. Hope she disappears from the radar soon.

Paula- It was a pretty big fumble the other night. She always seems like she’s just downed a couple of peach margaritas before the show. I guess that’s her role. I personally roll my eyes whenever she makes a worthless comment about how nice the contestants look. I’ve never thought she was the right fit for that role anyways.

14. Marcy 14

Hehe, yeah I was a bit shocked with the whole Hannah Montana thing. It looks like her , but a very different her.
    My daughter is H.M nuts. Hubby and I watch it with her sometimes too. Like the show. Kiddo was shocked at those pictures when I showed them to her.

As for the rest of your comments, definitely food for thought. I don’t watch American Idol, so didn’t see the Paula Abdul thing

Will check back in with you later this wekend:)) take care

15. Dawn 15

As usual, you hit the nail on the head three times! I totally agree!

16. Vonda 16

OK all this reminds me of when my middle daughter was around 17 (same age as Britney at the time) and she got so sick of hearing the “did she have a boob job” story and said ” I think someone should just hack off her boobs with a rusty safety pin”. Still makes me laugh today.

17. I( don’t warch American Idol so I don’t really care what she does.
    The lady that did in the governor should already have plenty of money. She charged enough.
    Disney is not the Disney I knew and loved.

18. I too think the Miley Cyrus pics were a calculated move. Everybody knows Annie Leibowitz is famous for photos and nudity and photos with nudity. Most are lovely pics, actually. I’d sit for her in a heartbeat and I bet SHE could tell prudish me to cover up my ladybits with a tea towel and I’d do it.

So they (Billy Ray, Miley, Disney, Vanity Fair) would have to be blockheads to expect Annie to not be Annie at a photoshoot. They knew.

Nothing Paula does surprises me any more. Remember the scandal regarding Paula and one of the contestants having nookie? That didn’t bring down the show OR her role as a judge. Why would messing up her critique of Jason’s dismal performance hurt anything?

19. giz 19

Thank goodness someone is keeping me up to date. Psychgrad and I have awarded you the Arte y Pico award. Come to Equal Opportunity Kitchen (coffee’s on) http://www.eatfordinner.blogspot.com for the details.

20. marye 20

I think the best way to handle it is..who cares?
    I don;t want my 12 year old looking up to her anyway. I want my 12 year old looking up to the real role models in her life, not some t.v. personality. :)

21. Greta 21

I do find it a blessing that (so far) none of my children can sing nor act.

22. Lions, tigers, and bears, but sleezy.
    I think we should have another drink, you pour. I think I’d like to try your margerita’s on the rocks with just all that great booze. What’s for dinner with that? Can’t drink all that on an empty stomach or I might have my own negative publicity but who would care?

23. Jessica 23

Wow, what drama.

24. annbb 24

It’s just a wasteland…

25. Harmony 25

Looks like you got all the bases covered…I’ll just add a Kudos!!!

26. annbb 26

A little shower of dignity would do the world a world of good.

27. I absolutely think Miley’s fiasco is a huge publicity stunt. One that her parents fully endorsed. My biggest problem is the media repeating over and over about what kids will say when they see the photos. How many kids actually read Vanity Fair? The only way they will see the pictures is if they watch any news channel.

28. Your other commenters pretty much said it all, after you laid out very accurately, in my humble opinion, the way things are about Miley, Ashley and Paula. Practically everything on TV and in the on-line and news print is so calculated and scripted and slanted one way or the other to get certain results. Reminds me of how closely ‘Dubya’s’ handlers and the current prez wannabes are so manipulated by those around them, who really knows what the actual people really think? Very timely post; sorry my comment is not so that way. I have to catch up when I can… I love your site!

29. Agree.