Supper Club!

I’m not sure if I’ve ever mentioned it here but I belong to one of the greatest Supper Club’s.

Yes the food is always great but it’s really the people you enjoy being with that makes the night special.

This particular group has been going strong for 4 years now.  We have four couples and rotate from house to house every other month.

As the hostess you set the theme (but you don’t have to have one) and the job of appetizers, salad (or first course) and dessert is rotated among the rest of the group.  Each couple brings two bottles of wine while the hostess does cocktails.

Because you are only concentrating on your assigned task (apps, salad or dessert) the menu is always an exciting array of mouth-watering goodies.

We all anticipate the upcoming event with excitement mostly to see what everyone has come up with.  We also don’t usually discuss in great detail what each one is making; somehow it’s more exciting that way.

Like I said, we have done various themes over the years but it’s not required.

Some of the theme’s we’ve done have been Moroccan Night complete with belly dancer, a hookah and a Henna tattoo artist, a night at the French Laundry where all courses were prepared from the French Laundry cookbook, a Hanukkah dinner where we played Dreidel for Dollars, a Murder Mystery night where we all wore costumes and played our parts while dining on scrumptious food, a “Red” theme where the hostess transformed her whole house into a red light extravaganza complete with red candles and red paper lanterns.  We’ve done seafood themes by the pool, evenings in Spain feasting on Paella, favorite Fall foods (always a yummy night),  grilled to perfection steaks and let’s not forget The Newlywed Game with a full stage and all those lovely questions.

But this past Saturday night was hosted by Dan and Lisa who had the ingenious idea of a Rock-n-Roll theme.  Every couple had to bring their MP3 player loaded with their favorite songs that would be played during the food course they were responsible for.  Very cool, huh?

So the night started as usual, with the drinks.  Of course, right?

This is just some of the cold stuff.

And of course there were more drinks over here.  Saturday happened to be 88 degrees.  We went from Winter to Summer in one day.  Where’s Spring?

Margarita’s were the perfect starting cocktail for this night because of the heat.  My friend Dan makes THE BEST DRINKS.  In the whole entire world.  And he knows how to make anything.  It’s ridiculous because before you know it you’ve had eighteen of these totally fabulous drinks and then, well, you know what happens.

Needless to say, everyone needs a friend like Dan.  Did I mention he also knows every bit of random trivia there is to know.  You never, ever want to go up against him in a trivia contest.  Yeah, been there done that.

From left to right are Lisa and Dan (the hostess and host), Sean and Sandy.

I think they are getting ready to play spin the bottle, but I’m not sure.

Anyway Sean and Sandy were in charge of appetizers this go-round.  Because they are so clever not only did they bring their MP3 player full of tunes but they brought…

Filet Mignon (yes it’s raw)…

To cook on a rock.  See that stone over there…it was heated for two hours and then the meat is placed on top and cooked to your liking.  Ridiculously clever and shrewd don’t you think?  So Rock…

And Roll (Spring Rolls that is).  Gawd, I am always so jealous when people are that cool.  These Spring Rolls were killer.  They were served with a spicy peanut sauce I couldn’t seem to get enough of.  I smothered mine in them.  I’m crazy like that.

And of course what would a Rock-n-Roll supper club be without a little Guitar Hero on the Wii?

Of course we all had to give it a try.  Here’s Sandy under Lisa’s direction rocking it out.  This is a difficult game and requires skillful hand-eye coordination that I did not have.  I was booed off stage at least three times.  Whatever!  I have other talents.

Here is my lovely friend Loran who was singing away as she tried her best to keep up with the game.  Again, very hard.  Isn’t her skirt adorable?

Here’s Sean showing off.  Whatever Sean, we know your good.

The Wild Boar enjoyed himself too.  Can’t you tell by the way his feet are pointed?

Let’s move on to the salad course shall we?

Mike and Loran were in charge of the salad preparation.  Of course there was no disappointment there.

Mike decided to go old school on us and prepare a very familiar, but special classic…..yeah!

Yep, you guessed it, Caesar Salad prepared tableside.  Score!  He coddled his eggs and had this whole spiel on Caesar Salad history.  Who knew!  He was able to single-handedly crush eggs with a fork and a spoon and the yolk would just slide right out the side into the bowl.  It was quite the show.

Mike also paired the salad with the perfect Sauvignon Blanc from new Zealand.  It went well with all those extra anchovies you gave me.  Good work Mike.

These people are so good.  I’m glad I’m in their supper club.

Then I went to go spy on Lisa in the kitchen.  I wanted to see what delicious main course she was making.

What I found what scrumptious.

Pork Tenderloin with Caramelized Apples in a Pear Brandy Cream Sauce.  The sauce was poured not only over the meat but over some pretty awesome mashed potatoes with roasted green beans on the side.  Needless to say, it was a very rustic and comforting dish. It was the first thing I thought about when I woke up the next morning.  Just yummy.  I think if I bug her enough she will give me the recipe..right?

We truly stuffed our faces and licked the plates clean.  That sauce was killer.

So while I prepared dessert there was more showing off with Guitar Hero…

It was up to me to end this meal.  For a while now I have been wanting to do a dessert, wine and cheese tasting extravaganza.  So that’s what I did.  Of course I went overboard and the dessert course was enough to be a whole other meal for about twenty people but whatever.

Now taking pictures of food is hard enough, but cheese…is even worse.  It’s just not easy to photograph.

Everyone was given a platter like this which included a round of Chabichou, a French goat cheese, and wedges of La Tur, a  three milk’s cheese (which is my ultimate favorite), Beemster Extra Aged (XO) Gouda from Holland, Colston Bassett Stilton from England and Vella Dry Jack from Sonoma.

Pimping out the platters were sourdough batard, Marcona almonds and fig spread.

This would have been enough right?  I should have stopped here, but oh no, I didn’t.  I kept going.

Everyone was also served a second platter with an Individual Guinness Stout Chocolate Cake topped with Brown Sugar Whipped Cream as well as a Mini Pear & Ginger Cheesecake with a Walnut Shortbread Crust.  The cheesecake was doused in a compote of cranberry and pear made from a Late Harvest Gewurztraminer and reduced until syrupy.  On the side, a wedge of Valrhona Le Noir Amer Chocolate (71% Cacao) and a wedge of Cafe Tasse Lait Artisanal Chocolate.

All cheeses and desserts were paired with dessert wines.  I might as well name them for you, I mean why stop here.

On the dessert wine menu was a 2006 Sokol Blosser Late Harvest Riesling, Dundee Hills Oregon.  Next a 2005 Château de Cosse Sauternes, France and we ended with a 2001 Dow’s Late Bottled Vintage Porto, Portugal.

Believe me it was insane.  Like I said, what was I thinking with all of that!  Sorry guys, you know I go a little crazy sometimes but I tend to get really excited about things.

All in all it was a great, great night.  Thank you to Lisa and Dan for opening your home to us once again and thanks to Sean, Sandy, Loran and Mike for all of your wonderful food but mostly your friendship.  And thank you to my Wild Boar who let’s me do whatever I want as crazy as it might be.

Anyone else out there in a supper club?  How does yours work?

1. I know lots of folks who are in a gourmet group, but we are not…but maybe we should just come out there every other month! You look like you have your own version of cocktail corner out there…and I know personally how great that is!

2. My dad does down in Arizona. I’m starting to suspect that my life may be terminally boring compared to yours!

And I’m crazy jealous that folks got their own individual Guiness cake. Which is the first thing I thought about when I got out of bed this morning. I’ve decided that I’m “ingredient challenged”. I still haven’t found what I need to make those yummy looking chocolate muffins. I’ve looked everywhere for malt….

3. I’m not in a supper club, but I’m thinking of moving back to California just so I can join yours. :)

Looks like you guys had so much fun! I love Guitar Hero for the Wii and the idea of bringing your MP3 player loaded with your favorite songs was such a great idea! And the food…OMG…it all looked so good! Your cheese and dessert plates looked fabulous. So delicious!

4. Oh boy… What a lovely dinner party! I love the take on the Rock & Roll Theme.. so clever…
    When I grow up I want to be in a dinner club!

5. What a wonderful “super club’…it sounds so exciting and sophisticated! Your friends sound amazing and you all seem to blend comfortably with each other! You have intrigued me, maybe I can start a dinner club!?!

6. This sounds like so much fun! Now I’m trying to imagine who I could get to start a supper club with us, but I know that isn’t likely to happen.

There is a family who lives nearby whose youngest two kids are the same age as our youngest two. Both the boys love to cook, and we’ve been getting together once in a while to teach them to make different things. My 13yods (the one who likes to cook) is a cheese fanatic, too. I’ve been thinking that we need to do a cheese tasting party. I wouldn’t mind letting them try a tiny bit of wine, but I’ll have to see how my friend feels about that.

Now, a few questions. How can you tell when bleu cheese is no longer good? I’m the only one who likes it and it tends to sit in the fridge long enough for me to be scared to eat the rest of it. And…Where are the recipes? We need recipes!

Ooooo. That looks positively divine. And Loran’s skirt IS darling.

8. Oh….I want to be in a supper club! Actually, I want to be in both a supper club and a restaurant club. Ok. The full truth is that I would be in any club that involves good food.

9. Msmvnj 9

Looks fabulous, supper clubs are a blast. Glad to see there are fellow Plymouth fans out there.

10. I would love to start a supper club, but our crew is full of incredibly picky eaters. I brought a dish of scrambled eggs with chorizo to the Easter breakfast and not a soul touched it, apart from my family.

11. I entertain for family & friends whenever I can, but don’t belong to a supper club. Sounds like a fantastic idea though (and less work than preparing whole meals,) so perhaps I’ll start one!

12. Julena Jo 12

Oh, my goodness! YOU’RE jealous? The whole experience looked like heaven to me. What a wonderful party! I live in rural Ohio. If I did not see such extravaganzas in magazines and The Noble Pig I wouldn’t believe they existed. Thank you for sharing! My mouth waters so badly I can scarcely talk. I will be silent today, I guess. Maybe. :)

13. Oh. My. Gawd. What a great supper club you have! I have been stranded in biscuit-and-gravy land for so long I had almost forgotten what a cheese course looks like. Thanks for sharing the photos and descriptions!

14. Viticulture Vern 14

Wow, you all are serious! Looks awesome! I am in a supper club (mostly BBQ and Pinot), it’s a lot of fun and depending on how much Pinot, it gets a little crazy too:). The wine and cheese pairing look amazing! And the dessert! Thanks for sharing.

15. krysta 15

Can I join? That looks amazing.

16. annbb 16

I’ve been in a supper club since November of ’01. We’ve had a BLAST over the years – even my hubby who was entirely reluctant to join is has a good time. There’s 5 couples in all, we all host once a year and the host couple chooses the theme. We’re gonna have to try the belly dancer, that sounds like fun!
    Our next feast is May 31 and Mental P. Mama and her hubby will be joining us. Hmmm….wonder what the theme will be?? It’s at our other Cocktail Corner gal’s, Jules is just sayin’, home this time.

17. Nope- no supper club for me. But, I do like to eat. If you ever need volunteers to taste it before it goes out to the club, just let me know. . .

18. marye 18

that looks like great fun..the food looked amazing..
    It would be great, except most of the people we know specialize in Bologna sandwiches on wonder bread.

19. Stacy 19

This looks like so much fun! I’ve never been part of a supper club. In fact, I’ve never even cooked for anyone besides my boyfriend. I don’t think I’m ready for my public debut.

20. Wine, spring rolls, and Guitar Hero???

Seriously, you’re killing me here. KILLING ME.

Smocking is the art of embroidery on pleats, used in heirloom garment for children, typically.
    link to bestdressedchild.com

22. april 22

I want that cheese plate right now.

Why don’t you weight 800 pounds?

23. Debra 23

Yummmmmy!! How about sharing your dessert recipes? They look de-lish!

24. Lina 24

Hi Noble Pig! I love your blog. I read a comment you left on someones blog that said you went to private high school in Fullerton! So did I! Does it happen to be Rosary?

25. Chou 25

Wow, what a great party! I appreciate all the pics, now if only you could add some scent to the post we’d all be in heaven.

26. peabody 26

What fun! I am loving the desserts!
    And how cool is that stone that you cook the meat on. We go to a restaurant that has those. I never knew you could do it at home!

27. giz 27

I’ve been trying for ages to try to get a supper club together without success. Yours looks fabulous and I mean truly fun. That guitar hero is insane. My nephew brings it over whenever he comes here and we lose half our audience to it.

28. Mike 28

That looks like a great tradition to have with your friends! I’ve never experienced anything like it and I’m jealous! 😛 It looks like you guys had a killer time and ate very well! :-)

29. Deborah 29

How fun! I’ve always wanted to be in a supper group, but my husband is not big on things like that. I’m thinking of putting one together for some girlfriend’s and I.

I once belonged to a supper group that made it’s way through The Frugal Gourmets Immigrant Ancestors cookbook. Loads of fun and we got to make and try some amazing dishes. I wish I had time to join another supper club, as your meal and evening sounded wonderful.

31. Vonda 31

This looks like a fun time and the food looks so great. The cheese and desserts….well all I can say about that is it is a good thing they didn’t see that first.

32. magpie 32

Jealous. That is all.

(I love La Tur.)

33. Maureen 33

Thanks for sharing your supper club with us! I am jealous of your great food and great friends. All my friends would be way to worried about calories to have that much fun. ;(

Cathy, I read this the other night but couldn’t respond until now.
    What a fun evening! Thanks so much for sharing it with us. Yes, I really liked your friend’s skirt! And the caesar salad looked great. I could tell Wild Boar was having a fantastic time by the way you pictured his fancy footwork.

35. I’m either in a cursing mood – or holy hell! My stinkin’ heck! I want to be in that club – and yes, Loran’s skirt in the shizzle! I couldn’t stop drooling – over the skirt, not Loran – though she is very pretty…

Well, looks like it was a ball. Guitar Hero kicks my butt. I like Rock Band – I do alright on the drums, but my singing – American Idol better watch out. Not. But I like to pretend…