Bake Sale Bars

It’s the candy surprise that makes this snack a BEST SELLER!

There is nothing better than going to a bake sale and picking out the best bar you can find.  I always scan the table for something unique to satisfy my sweet tooth.

These bars are a sure sell-out.  The secret?  The surprise crunch from crushed up Heath Bars inside.  Tricky, I know.

So whether it’s cheerleading, water polo, scouts or French club, these bars are guaranteed to make your fundraiser a success!

Now let’s get to work so your profits can start rolling in.

Here are your ingredients: pecans, unsweetened shredded coconut, Heath Bars, unsalted butter, light brown sugar, white sugar, eggs, milk, vanilla extract, flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt.

On a baking sheet, spread 1-1/2 cups of pecan halves and toast them in a 350 degree oven for 6 minutes

Once the pecans are cooled, chop coarsely and set aside.  If your kids are making these, have them use the back of the saucepan to crush them finely instead of using a knife.

Add 1-1/4 cups of unsweetened shredded coconut to a nonstick skillet over medium heat.

Stir with a wooden spoon until the coconut is light golden brown.

Here is the secret ingredient.  If you’ve never had a Heath bar, run to the store now.  These are unbelievable.

You will need 5 Heath bars (1.4 ounce-size).  Seal the candy in a heavy-duty gallon bag and crush them with a mallet or a rolling pin.  Break up any large pieces by hand.  Set aside.

Melt 1-1/2 sticks of unsalted butter and pour into a large bowl.  Let it cool to lukewarm.

Mix in a 1/2 cup of white sugar and 1 cup of packed light brown sugar with a wire whisk.

Add 2 eggs, 3 Tablespoons of milk and 1 Tablespoon of vanilla to the butter-sugar mixture.

When it’s all mixed up it will be this beautiful caramel-brown color.  Mmmmm.  Make sure you taste this.

In another bowl add 1-1/2 cups of flour, 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch, 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt, incorporate well.

To the wet ingredients add the dry.  This includes the flour mixture, toasted coconut, pecans and crushed Heath bars.

When you mix it up it will look like this.  Take another taste, it’s amazing.

Spread this mixture evenly with a spoon into a greased and lightly floured 9 x 13 pan.

Place into a 350 degree oven and bake for 25 minutes until the top is a light brown and the edges are crackly.

It will look like this when done.  BUT you need to wait until it is completely cool before diving in.  About 2 hours.  It will kill you, but you must do it.

Make sure after sampling these delights, you wrap them up quickly, otherwise your profit center will disappear.  Trust me.

Bake Sale Bars
adapted from Family Fun

1-1/2 cups pecan halves
1-1/4  cups unsweetened shredded coconut
5 Heath bars (1.4-ounce size)
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
3 Tablespoons milk
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups flour
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Heat the oven to 350 degrees.  Grease the bottom and sides of a light colored 9 x 13 baking pan, then lightly flour it, knocking out the excess.  Set the pan aside.

On a separate baking sheet, spread the pecan halves and toast them in the oven for 6 minutes.  Once they’re cool to the touch, chop or crush the pecans and transfer to a separate bowl.

Toast the coconut in a nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the coconut is light golden in color, about 6-8 minutes.

Seal the Heath bars in a heavy-duty gallon-size plastic bag, then crush them with a mallet or a rolling pin.  Break any larger pieces by hand.  Set aside.

Melt the butter, pour it into a large bowl, and let it cool to lukewarm.  Using a wire whisk, blend in the sugars until they’re smooth.  Whisk in the eggs, milk, and vanilla extract.

Using a wooden spoon, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.  Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture as well as the toasted coconut, pecans and Heath bar bits.  Mix well.

Use the back of a large spoon to evenly spread the dough in the prepared baking pan.  Bake the bars on the center oven rack until the top is a light, golden brown and the edges are crackly, about 25 minutes.  Transfer the pan to a wire rack and cool thoroughly, about 2 hours before slicing.

These moist and crunchy bars are irresistible!  Try them!

1. What are you doing???!??!!? Seriously, every ingredient in these is my ultimate treat. Gah.

2. Elle 2

Ooooh, one (ok, two) of these would have perfect with my morning coffee!

3. OK girlfriend… Where were these lovely treats before the weekend????? I had bake sale duty!!! sigh…
    I have to save this recipe for any future mommy duties…
    LOVE pecans and coconut! YUM!
    PS… Saw a great coffee mug at our local Halmark, it said ‘No, I won’t make 4 dozen cookies… Any other questions???’

4. krysta 4

Yummy! Do you know they have Heath bars already in bits and pieces for you? I have a bag sitting in the fridge as I type. Instead of cookies I’m going to have to make these.

5. OK. You want me to fail – yes. Cuz there’s no way these would ever make it as far as a bake sale. They’d go straight to my flabby tummy. I think the moment I open the oven, I’d just deposit the whole pan into my mouth. Yes, it would burn, but it would hurt. so. good :)

6. I have the worst case of PMS ever and these bars look like they could be the only thing that will make me happy. I think I might make these tonight…

7. Oh my god…oh my god.

And you made a small mistake. You actually need 6 Heath Bars. 5 to bake with and one to nibble on while you bake! Golly, I wonder why I’m fat?

8. Oh… I think you can get more than .75 for these bad boys. As I was looking at your mise en place I was thinking, let there not be coconut! I realize I could leave it out… and maybe add more chocolate in it’s place! Or oats!

I am NOT making these. My ass is the size of a Buick, thanks to those “light” muffins!

9. Oh my good and gracious Lord~ total evil woman! I could just imagine nom nom noming those with my coffee. Thanks goodness our kids go to different schools. I’m such a sucker for Heath bars too…

10. TSannie 10

And I started South Beach today….

11. Oh those look so good!

I’m with AsthmaGirl on the Buick!

Guess what I’m making for School Carnival this weekend? Come on, guess…This is starting to get scary, are you reading my mind or just my calendar? Everytime I need a new recipe ,bam! there you are girl! Please just tell me they’re Atkins friendly…I’m on starting week 3 and must not fall off the wagon.

13. Tipper 13

O.K. now I’m starving! I love Heath bars!

14. giz 14

I don’t think I’ve ever even seen a Heath bar. Hmmm… $0.75 – cheap at twice the price.

yes, these are nice. a heath blizzard from dairy queen is my go-to stress reliever. :)

question: what the heck’s the difference between heath and skor? i love both equally and have always wondered.

Yet another post I sadly scanned. The temptation is so strong! The Heath bars – they call me – do you hear their siren song?

17. That does look good. We don’t do bake sales anymore but we do make things for the grandkids when they come. This looks like it fits that bill.

18. Sharon 18

2 hours?! That doesn’t fly in our household–they’d be gone in no time :) I wanted to stick my finger through the screen to taste some of that batter.

Thanks as well for the banana tip. I’ve tried freezing them before, but my husband usually snatches them up for smoothies before I can use them for baking. I suppose I’ll just have to keep making desserts when I get those ripe bananas!

19. ALF 19

What kind of wine goes best with these bars?

20. Mike 20

Ok now those look awesome! I’m drooling over these…

21. your killin me now, I’m having a coronary just readin about this. I think I might be drooling. Just mail me one. I’ll send you 75cents.

22. We are ROFLOL over the Buick, that’s a pretty big butt.

23. Jeff 23

75 cents??

Give me your paypal address so you can send me some of these.

Look awesome and I agree on the Heath bar. One of my favorite blizzard flavors right up there with cookie dough.

24. Tarah 24

Oh wow! That looks mad delicious!

25. Harmony 25

Heath bars are my favorite….you are always coming up with great ways to feed my face, I heart you for that!

26. Heather 26

I will be BACK!

27. Holy Moly! They look fabulous! You could sure raise a lot of money with those!

28. Kevin 28

Those bars look really good! And they have candy bars in them…mmm…

29. Vonda 29

Oh a great new recipe to try with my eight year old granddaughter. We bake something every weekend.

30. brilynn 30

That looks like a winning combination to me!

31. Yes, Heath bars are the best.. and Family Fun is one of the best magazines. My 11 yo daughter gets to it before I do and proceeds to tell me all of the things she wants to make!

32. amy 32

Cathy saves me once again! I have to bring a dessert to a church meeting on Thursday and I am drooling over these! Seriously, I’m going to have to stop visiting here during the summer, or you’re going to have to post some lowfat recipes. Or I’m going to have to avoid bikinis altogether!

33. These are irresistible, Cathy! I’m drooling already. Pecans and chocolate and candy bars? Heaven!

34. Deborah 34

All you have to do is mention Heath bar, and I’m sold!

35. Diane 35

These are in the oven as I type. The grocery only had Heath brickle, so I improvised, and added some chocolate chips (semi-sweet and milk chocolate). They smell fabulous.
    So much for Weight Watchers.

36. Diane 36

Blast you, Noble Pig! *shakes fist at monitor*
    These turned out too good for words.

37. Tai 37

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh, I want one.

38. Julie 38

YUM! Added a few semi-sweet chocolate chips to the batter too because I can never have too much chocolate! Also, no way could any of us wait two hours to eat these so we stuck a few of them in the freezer to cool and set- worked out well, much to our delight!

39. And I will try these! I love cookies and snack bars. Thanks for the recipe.

40. This is so cool..thanks so much for the info. Love it!