Fresh Pear and Ginger Crumble

Fresh Pear and Ginger Crumble is a delicious treat
A classic pairing of pears and ginger makes this Fresh Pear and Ginger Crumble a dessert you will not soon forget. Serve warm right out of the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for the ultimate treat. Easy enough to make on a weeknight too.

Think gooey, not-to-sweet, rustic and textural nirvana. It's one of those crumbles you can serve with ice cream because it's not over-the-top sweet. It is hands down one of my most favorite desserts. The crunchy topping with oats really makes it special.

The pears and freshly grated ginger leave you wondering why you have not put these two ingredients together previously. They are a magical pairing.

Fresh Pear and Ginger Crumble the pears
Bosc pears are the perfect choice for this recipe. Their flesh is more dense than other pears, which makes them perfect for baking. They also have a complex flavor, which is not overwhelmed when using with a strong spice like cinnamon.

Fresh Pear and Ginger Crumble the filling
I peel my pears with a potato peeler and then slice them into 1" pieces, but they do not have to be uniform in size whatsoever. I toss them immediately with lemon juice to keep them from browning.

Fresh Pear and Ginger Crumble the topping
I would be lying if I didn't say the rustic, oatmeal topping is my favorite part of the recipe. It is absolutely a stunning addition to the pear filling.

Fresh Pear and Ginger Crumble is a warm and seasonal treat
I let it rest for about 15 minutes before digging in with a spoon.

Fresh Pear and Ginger Crumble is a must make
Look at that topping.

Fresh Pear and Ginger Crumble treat

Fresh Pear and Ginger Crumble the bite
There will not be any leftovers so you might want to make two.

Fresh Pear and Ginger Crumble

• 3 pounds firm but ripe Bosc pears, peeled, cored and cut into 1" slices
  • 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 Tablespoon freshly grated ginger
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour

Directions

• Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare an 8 x 8 baking pan by spraying with cooking spray.
  • For the topping, combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and work together with your hands until the ingredients resemble a crumble. Set aside.
  • For the filling, combine pear slices, lemon juice, and ginger in a large bowl. Add the sugar and flour and toss to blend.
  • Transfer the pear mixture to the baking dish. Sprinkle the crumble topping over the pears. Bake crumble until the pears are tender and the topping is golden brown, about 40 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature, with ice cream if desired.

Other Pear Crumbles You Might Enjoy:

1. Oh. Mai. Gawd. Must have some.

2. Mmmmmmmmmm. Pear and Ginger? Who would have thought? Sounds delicious!!

3. I have got to get my oven fixed!

I cannot believe the look of fear on your pears’ “faces”!!!

This is the dessert I’ve been looking for. This weekend, I’m spending a girls weekend with friends in NJ. We’re making the pork chops from your previous post and now we have finally found our dessert. It sounds absolutely wonderful. I’ll also be looking for a bottle of wine (or 4) to go with it!

5. Dawn 5

You are priceless and man oh MAN does that look yummy…once I dig out from all my snow, I will have to get the ingredients for my own crumble! MMM!

6. Deb 6

OMG Cathy, too yummy and “healthy”! It is making my mouth water!
    And you are just too funny! I have spent the last 45 minutes reading your blog for the past few days. I found myself laughing out loud on the Chocolate Magnetism post! I bet your kids enjoyed this one also!
    Keep up the great work!

7. Shelly 7

That looks divine.

8. Hi Cathy,

This look delicious and the best part is that it’s not too bad for you! I’m going to have to try this recipe…perhaps this weekend :)

9. Laugh? I nearly pissed myself! I love your writing although I seriously wonder how much time you spend developing your digital photos. Do you get out much?

10. Alanna 10

This sounds AWESOME…. Must try!!! Those poor little pears though…I can’t help but feel bad for them.

I am so making this! Except I’m going to use all happy pears. No sad, terrified pears for me.

12. ALF 12

mmmm…brown sugar.

13. Kevin 13

…mmm… That pear crumble looks so good. Especially with the vanilla ice cream/frozen yogurt. I will have to try adding some freshly grated ginger to the next pear crumble that I make. I like the step by step photos!

14. nutmeg 14

Girl, your bandwidth must be huge! But I need visuals – I’m trying it!

15. Krissy 15

Holy yummy!

I’m licking the computer screen! ACK!

16. amy 16

Those pears are freakin hilarious!! Sounds like an awesome recipe, will definitely have to try this one!

17. Natalie 17

You did know I’m on a pear kick right now, right? Well now you do. MUST. HAVE.

And the comment about the ginger? Priceless.

18. kate 18

at an average meal, how many marriage proposals do you receive. i’d move to massachusetts, just so we could get married if you made me food like that.

19. I swoon for crumbles and crisps and cobblers.

This recipe is a keeper.

Ginger, in it’s native form, is scary-ass looking.

20. Maureen 20

You leave me no choice – I’ll have to try this dessert. This is a big statement for me, as I’m a terrible baker. Cook, yes – bake, not so much. This just looks to terrific to pass up. Thanks for another amazing post!

21. Corinne 21

wow – this looks delish! i will definitely have to give it a try.
    Just a note: Canola oil is made from the Canola plant, which is related to the mustard plant, and is widely grown in Canada (where i am!). The plants have bright yellow flowers that give little seeds like mustard seeds. the seeds are crushed, and that gives you canola oil!

22. Gayle 22

One further note on Canola Oil – The canola crop used to be known as rape. Fields of rape, now known as fields of canola, are everywhere throughout Central Saskatchewan, Canada.

23. With your help only some students know something just about dissertation writing service! So they buy the good dissertation publication referring to this topic from the thesis service.